Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jimmy Dean died for our sins 58 years ago.

2/8/31--9/30/55

He coulda been a contendah!

It would have been fun to see where his career would have taken him.

Oh well...R.I.P.

by Anonymousreply 3311/10/2013

He sure looked pretty fucking old for 24.

by Anonymousreply 109/30/2013

And they've been making sausage out of him ever since.

by Anonymousreply 209/30/2013

There are too many Jimmy Deans to call James Dean Jimmy Dean.

by Anonymousreply 309/30/2013

[quote]He sure looked pretty fucking old for 24.

You would too if people had used you as a human ashtray.

by Anonymousreply 409/30/2013

James Dean Remembered - (TV Special 1974) Full Documentary

Pay attention to Natalie Wood's words. She knew him. She really KNEW HIM.

by Anonymousreply 609/30/2013

I saw Rebel recently, and I couldn't get over what a lousy actor he was. Absolutely no empathy whatsoever. Just spouting his lines. Why all the hype?

by Anonymousreply 709/30/2013

Thank your R7. I fail to see what the big fuss is over him. He is by far the worst part of Giant. His whole performances is him twitching and mumbling. He is trying too hard to come off as cool, and it just fails.

by Anonymousreply 809/30/2013

Was Diamonds Are Forever the only movie he made?

by Anonymousreply 1009/30/2013

So R9 , that's it ? No details on what he looked like ? I heard his neck was broken. Snapped, from the impact. Amazing no photos have ever surfaced of him, post accident - just the car.

by Anonymousreply 1109/30/2013

JAMES, OP.

JAMES.

by Anonymousreply 1209/30/2013

You are lousy guys.

Dean was a great actor. He was hammy when the role needed him to be hammy.

You are all jerks.

by Anonymousreply 1309/30/2013

[quote]He was hammy when the role needed him to be hammy.

What remarkable luck that every role he was given required him to be hammy.

by Anonymousreply 1409/30/2013

Stop it R14. He was not just hammy. You are a twister baby.

by Anonymousreply 1509/30/2013

[quote]So [R9] , that's it ? No details on what he looked like ? I heard his neck was broken. Snapped, from the impact.

He's dead now so I can't ask him, and he had no idea who James Dean was when he was at the accident. He was pissed that his weekend pass was getting wasted in a traffic jam. He said it was a Hell of a wreck, and the little sports car was crushed, but the American car was hardly damaged. As far as the body, it was already covered, and I think he said had been removed from the car.

Sorry.

You know there's a standing reward of $1 million for the car, right? It was hauled around SoCal for a few years as a driver's ed safety exhibit, and then it mysteriously vanished.

by Anonymousreply 1609/30/2013

"It would have been fun to see where his career would have taken him."

I think the sixties would have hit him hard. He was very unhappy in Hollywood, I think he would have fallen into the counterculture and spent all his money on drugs. If he'd lived through that, he'd have been broke and burned out by the seventies, not in a position to do more immortal screen appearances.

If he had lived, I just don't see him as taking a careerist path.

by Anonymousreply 1709/30/2013

Here is an article about his injuries. Scroll down to the "Accident" part if you don't want to read his bio.

by Anonymousreply 1809/30/2013

Jimmy Dean????? JIMMY Dean????

Well. We still have sausage.

by Anonymousreply 1909/30/2013

He was great in East of Eden...

by Anonymousreply 2009/30/2013

He would have ended up signing autographs for $5/pop next to the Star Trek booth at conventions.

by Anonymousreply 2109/30/2013

"He is by far the worst part of Giant"

He was good when he was playing a young man, but was downright creepy as the older character. Like, Howard Hughes creepy, which has always made me wonder what he would have been like as a mature actor.

At first I excused his creepy/bad performance on the grounds that he was too young to understand maturity, but Liz Taylor played a character who became a grandmother and she didn't make an ass of herself doing so. And she was no actress in those days! Dean didn't have much range.

by Anonymousreply 2209/30/2013

Thanks for remembering James Dean.

His death had the same impact as the death of Diana (I was 21 at the time).

The somewhat ghoulish mystique that lingered for decades may have been initiated by flacks at Warner Brothers in an effort to boost business for the 2 post-death films, "Rebel" & "Giant."

"Rebel" was a blockbuster. "Giant" was Warner's top grosser ever (at the time).

by Anonymousreply 2309/30/2013

"Giant" is one, long, boring piece of crap...except for James Dean. He looked ridiculous in his "old age" makeup, but he was fascinating to watch. He was that type of actor; when he was onscreen you couldn't take your eyes off him.

He would have had a very interesting career if he had lived and taken better care of himself. Even in his early twenties people were remaking on how dissipated he looked.

I would loved to have seen him play Hal in the movie version of "Picnic." He was born to play that role.

by Anonymousreply 2409/30/2013

Can someone find his grave location and post his headstone here so that we may whack off to it in earnest love and appreciation?

by Anonymousreply 2509/30/2013

I had his son. It was a good birth, once it had been eased into. And he was tan before, and after, every child. His hair was...like FLEECE!

by Anonymousreply 2609/30/2013

I agree with Anonymous.

by Anonymousreply 2711/10/2013

I agree he had a lot of miles on his face for only 24 and he probably would have hit the wall pretty hard within 5 - 10 years. Still, there's something charismatic about him, or perhaps it's just the era.

by Anonymousreply 2811/10/2013

r26 Fairmount, Indiana. His grave is 3 lanes in from the entrance to the cemetery. People frequently chip off pieces of the headstone, so it's been replaced a time or two. Back in the day, there were hundreds of people who'd visit his grave on the anniversary of his death.

Dean was unlike any actor who'd ever been promoted by Hollywood, his uniqueness had a lot to do with his popularity. Not as talented as Brando, or Clift, but his incandescent beauty made up for it. He made just 3 films, and yet, is still talked about and referenced, after almost 60 years. Maybe it was that Dean was in the right place at the right time, or the jumpy twitches, or the little-boy-lost looks, but he garnered a lion's share of attention. I put him in the same league with Marilyn Monroe. No one, after all these years, has been able to come close to either of them, let alone match them.

by Anonymousreply 2911/10/2013

R29's photo is not Dean, but the actor playing him in the recent murky pseudo-biopic.

by Anonymousreply 3011/10/2013

He probably would have had a sub-Brando career.

by Anonymousreply 3111/10/2013

[quote]Although hundreds of films, television shows, and commercials have used the picturesque surroundings of Griffith Observatory, none have featured the building more prominently or brought as much international attention as the Warner Brothers production of Rebel Without a Cause in 1955. This landmark motion picture, which immortalized James Dean in the most remembered of his three films, captured both the interior and exterior of the Observatory in several key scenes and marked the first time a planetarium theater was used in a film.

[quote]In 1955, James Dean went to the studio of Hollywood-based artist Kenneth Kendall after seeing a sculpture he had done of Dean hero, Marlon Brando, and requested that Kendall do a bust of him. Kendall began the sculpture the night that Dean was killed. Decades later, in commemoration of the use of the Observatory in the film, Rebel Without a Cause, a monument featuring the bust Dean commissioned was placed on the west side of the Observatory lawn (a second copy of the bust can be seen at the James Dean Memorial Park in the actor's hometown of Fairmount, Indiana). The monument has now been restored and reinstalled in its new location, where visitors will now be able to snap pictures of the monument with the iconic Hollywood Sign in the same frame.

by Anonymousreply 3211/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.