Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Misery"

The casting: how did James Caan get the lead? Wasn't he over by then? Kathy Bates: I know Midler turned it down but how'd Rob Reiner get an unknown (to film audiences) cast?

by Anonymousreply 3110/02/2013

IIRC, Michael Douglas was originally cast; I don't know why he dropped out.

by Anonymousreply 109/30/2013

No big star wanted the male role, that is how James Caan ended up playing it. I think he's very good.

Kathy Bates was Rob Reiner's first choice, and rightly so. She had a very solid career in theatre by then. And sometimes casting an unknown is the best choice.

by Anonymousreply 209/30/2013

Michael Douglas would have made it a very different movie.

by Anonymousreply 309/30/2013

Douglas could have pantomimed to Bates' Liberace records!

by Anonymousreply 409/30/2013

I'm so happy Michael Douglas didn't play the writer. He seems like the kind of guy who would be actually turned on by the stuff Annie Wilkes did (especially tied to bed part).

by Anonymousreply 509/30/2013

Choke me! Fuck me!

by Anonymousreply 609/30/2013

Did you ever see The game, R5?

by Anonymousreply 709/30/2013

From the book I always saw the main character as sort of a Norman Mailer wanna-be: Caan is perfect, Douglas would have sucked.

by Anonymousreply 809/30/2013

Oh, happy day when Midler dropped out.

by Anonymousreply 910/01/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1010/01/2013

Bates is especially great in Annie's depression sequences.

by Anonymousreply 1110/01/2013

Douglas would be fine too. If you ask me, I think he could make the film even creepier.

by Anonymousreply 1210/01/2013

From the imdb trivia page:

[quote]According to William Goldman's book "Four Screenplays", the main character role, Paul Sheldon, was offered to William Hurt, Kevin Kline, Michael Douglas, Harrison Ford, Dustin Hoffman, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Richard Dreyfuss, Gene Hackman, Robert Redford, and Warren Beatty, all of whom declined.

by Anonymousreply 1310/01/2013

wow r13...I guess they were afraid that they'd be in bed the whole time while Annie would steal the film.

by Anonymousreply 1410/01/2013

R13 from the list, I'd say William Hurt, Kevin Kline or Warren Beatty all should work, not sure about casting De Niro or Pacino.

by Anonymousreply 1510/01/2013

It was a huge comeback for Caan. I checked his filmography, and he'd appeared in three films in the previous five years, one of them the awful turkey "Dick Tracy". He's been working steadily ever since.

by Anonymousreply 1610/01/2013

"Alien Nation" was kind of a minor hit...that is probably what got Caan in the running for a film like Misery.

by Anonymousreply 1710/01/2013

Misery IS Kathy Bates. I cannot imagine Midler playing that role.

by Anonymousreply 1810/01/2013

Midler? That would have been a cheesefest.

Douglas might have subverted the "good guy" role a bit more than Caan did. I could see MD making the author character a little more morally ambiguous. It would have been cool for Bates to realize that her captive is actually just as scary and twisted as she is - and then she becomes afraid of the very person she's strying to intimidate.

by Anonymousreply 1910/01/2013

Rob Reiner should have done the role himself and he should have cast Sally Struthers as Bates' character.

Think of the publicity!

Struthers should have done her wail she did when Gloria cried. It would have been a hoot!

by Anonymousreply 2010/01/2013

[quote]Struthers should have done her wail she did when Gloria cried. It would have been a hoot!

Thank you, R20. That made me laugh out loud!

by Anonymousreply 2110/01/2013

R20 what the cockadoodie FUCK? LOL

by Anonymousreply 2210/01/2013

Crazy James Caan was on Howard Stern the other day!

by Anonymousreply 2310/02/2013

He seems like he'd have a wrinkly, yet somehow attractive, ass.

by Anonymousreply 2410/02/2013

Bates was excellent in the movie. Caan was mediocre.

Caan is a douchebag, always was. I remember some long ago interview he did in Playboy magazine; he said that a woman's place was "in the home, at least until the kids are grown." He said that most of the women he knew agreed with him. That's because most of the women he knew were probably Playboy bunny bimbos and the like.

The violence in "Misery" was very watered down in the movie. In the novel, Annie "hobbles" the writer by chopping his foot off with an ax. She also cuts off his thumb and serves him a cake with the severed finger upright on it, like a candle. Maybe the filmmakers considered all that to be excessive. But it was typical Stephen King fare. His novels are full are grotesque violence. Sometimes it's scary; sometimes it's just gross.

by Anonymousreply 2510/02/2013

Caan was perfect in the role

by Anonymousreply 2610/02/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2710/02/2013

[R10] = is yet another obvious misogynist freeper troll!

How is Kathy Bates a villan?! She's playing a strong woman standing up for what she knows is right!

by Anonymousreply 2810/02/2013

Dustin Hoffman, Gene Hackman, and Richard Dreyfuss would have all been great in Misery. Far better than Caan.

by Anonymousreply 2910/02/2013

Well at least we all agree that Kathy Bates owns this movie. Made her entire career in film and rightly so.

by Anonymousreply 3010/02/2013

I think R20's proposal of Rob and Sally starring in Misery would be the ONLY other viable option. I would have been a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 3110/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.