Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is "Breaking Bad" ending?

I've never seen the show, but it obviously has a huge following, so why is it ending? It's had five seasons. They couldn't milk it?

by Anonymousreply 3809/30/2013

I think they had the entire show written from the start. Best to go out on top like The Sopranos. Mad Men is also taking this approach.

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

It gave the NY Times something to cover ad nauseam.

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2013

Mad Men is ending?

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2013

Yes, R3. The next season of Mad Men is the last.

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

It had to end. Five seasons...plenty.

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

I think Dexter should have ended after 5 seasons. I really wish it had because the last few seasons had very few good moments.

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

Mad Men is horribly overrated (I only made it to the episode where Joan finds out she's pregnant with Roger's baby).

Breaking Bad is overrated too, but at least the powers that be realized it's best to go out before it veers too far from its original concept (which it started to do last season).

by Anonymousreply 809/30/2013

Breaking Bad is not overrated.

Vince wanted the show to go out on top, instead of dragging the story out long past its prime like so many lesser shows have done (Dexter is a perfect example).

by Anonymousreply 909/30/2013

When I think about the dreck that passes for television these days, I cannot think anything but how great these dramas are (with a mention of Homeland, which usually gets short shrift).

by Anonymousreply 1009/30/2013

[quote]When I think about the dreck that passes for television these days, I cannot think anything but how great these dramas are (with a mention of Homeland, which usually gets short shrift).

On what planet are Homeland and Breaking Bad given the "short shrift"?

You are a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1109/30/2013

Homeland is a dreadful show that panders to the lowest common denominator, so it will probably be on the air for at least 6-7 more years.

by Anonymousreply 1209/30/2013

Breaking Bad = unpleasant people in unpleasant surroundings wearing unpleasant clothes and doing unpleasant things. Truly American.

by Anonymousreply 1309/30/2013

r13, which country are you from?

by Anonymousreply 1409/30/2013

America.

by Anonymousreply 1509/30/2013

I think it's great that creators of shows like this decide to end it at a certain point. Then it's a complete, high-quality work. The mistake most popular network TV shows made is that they went on too long. They started to lose viewers and the quality of the shows suffered towards the end.

by Anonymousreply 1609/30/2013

supernatural

by Anonymousreply 1709/30/2013

Last night's episode of The Simpsons was a reminder of how painful it can be to watch a formerly good show rot and fester.

The funny thing about Breaking Bad: I lived in Albuquerque, where it was set and filmed, and nobody watched it (2009 - 2011). Now it's like this huge phenomenon and my friends in Albuquerque still don't watch it (I have to start from scratch on Netflix...AFTER I'm done catching up on 8 seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia).

Also, I don't recall much of a crystal meth epidemic...but then, I work for the government and keep a fairly tame circle of friends.

by Anonymousreply 1809/30/2013

They did milk it. It could have been a terrific two-, possibly three-season series.

But it filled a niche with people who found "Star Wars" a deep and profound exploration of "good and evil", and who need every detail wrapped up with a fucking bow, answered and explained to unequivocal death.

by Anonymousreply 1909/30/2013

[quote]Breaking Bad = unpleasant people in unpleasant surroundings wearing unpleasant clothes and doing unpleasant things. Truly American.

R13, may I recommend "The Top of the Lake" an Australian-UK-US coproduction, alternated with episodes of old UK series "The Royle Family"?

by Anonymousreply 2009/30/2013

You know what's REALLY overrated? People who use the term "overrated" to appear above other people.

If you don't like Breaking Bad, why the fuck would you waste your time complaining about it on thread about Breaking Bad?

by Anonymousreply 2109/30/2013

R22's histrionics are overrated.

by Anonymousreply 2209/30/2013

It's ending because there's really nowhere else to go. The story has always been about Walt, and how his actions affected those around him. Perhaps the series could have gone another way and really shown how Marie dealt with Hank's death, or how Skyler and Flynn dealt with their changing situation, or the continuing investigation with the DEA, or the aftermath of the Czech meth operation shutting down, etc.

But what's made this show unique is its small focus. I cannot think of another TV series that told such a singular, focused story with such a small cast of characters. The "season arcs" weren't arbitrary ways to fill a season, everything continued to build to the finale. Events in Season 2 affect the final episodes.

Most of the other "epic" shows - "Sopranos", "The Wire", "Six Feet Under" - they took place in a world of multiple characters and multiple storylines, and went through several major story arcs that ended and reset themselves.

"Breaking Bad" is really like a 60-hour movie that goes far deeper than a 2-hour film ever can. It's really the closest example to a "TV Novel" that I think we've had, and I think it's an exciting new development.

by Anonymousreply 2309/30/2013

You people should really pick a book every now and then. Try reading. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2409/30/2013

I don't watch the show, I've been holding out for a marathon.

But perhaps it's ending before it loses steam, preferring to end on a high note, reaching a satisfactory conclusion, instead of running itself into a weak demise.

by Anonymousreply 2509/30/2013

Fuck you, R25. Breaking Bad is probably a stronger narrative work than some low quality piece of shit that some bankrupt publishing house puts out because they think it'll catch on like Twilight.

Not all books are excellent and all TV shows are tripe.

by Anonymousreply 2609/30/2013

I read many books. It helps me to appreciate the difference between the usual crap on TV and something like "Breaking Bad" that's doing something interesting.

Perhaps you should broaden your cultural horizons - opera was once considered populist trash, too. Man cannot live by books alone. There's a whole wide world of expression out there. Try an art museum every now and then. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2709/30/2013

[quote]I don't watch the show, I've been holding out for a marathon.

You missed out! AMC broadcast every episode in order from last Wednesday night through Sunday afternoon, in advance of the finale.

by Anonymousreply 2809/30/2013

People like R25 are so weird to me. The two aren't at all mutually exclusive. I love reading and do so often in my free time. I also love a great television series.

Not to mention god knows just because something is in a novel doesn't mean it is good, there is plenty of crap out there as R27 mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 2909/30/2013

Breaking Bad was very good. Good ending.

by Anonymousreply 3009/30/2013

Breaking Bad's story arc was planned from the beginning. They told the story and moved on. I wish more series had this discipline.

by Anonymousreply 3109/30/2013

Breaking Bad was epic start to finish -- great finale.

It is 2 seasons too late for Mad Men. It went from good to awful in the last 2 seasons

by Anonymousreply 3209/30/2013

Next week no one will care about this show. Everyone will be on to something else, and this will go in the hopper with M*A*S*H, Seinfeld, Lost, and a bunch of other "immortal television."

by Anonymousreply 3309/30/2013

People still care about LOST and M*A*S*H, so your point is invalid. We still get a new thread about I Love Lucy every week or so on DL.

by Anonymousreply 3409/30/2013

[quote]People still care about LOST and M*A*S*H, so your point is invalid. We still get a new thread about I Love Lucy every week or so on DL.

DL does not reflect any identifiable part of the real world.

And I'm sorry, but show me someone who "cares" about either of those shows still, and I'll show you the sort of shut-in who's made this place so tedious of late.

by Anonymousreply 3509/30/2013

I still care about Lost, in that I think it'd be worth it to watch one more time. I have most of the seasons downloaded in HD when the mood strikes me. And I don't wait for marathons like r26, I saw all of Breaking Bad in a little over a week recently, just downloaded it all in HD. Now I'm onto Dexter, just finished season 2.

by Anonymousreply 3609/30/2013

Seinfeld hasn't held up very well but there would be no Arrested Development, Louie, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc. without it. Similarly, we now see LOST-styled shows all the time (or so I've heard, never was interested in that show myself). Breaking Bad will inspire countless showrunners and hopefully, result in better quality programs in the future.

by Anonymousreply 3709/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.