Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Now taking bets: First canceled new shows of the season

I'm going to bed "Dads" doesn't last.

What new show do you think will meet the axe first?

by Anonymousreply 10911/04/2013

Lucky 7.

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

The Goldbergs

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2013

R2 wins. I couldn't get through the first ten minutes of that piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2013

Of the shows I've seen so far, definitely the Goldbergs.

Show was not funny. Characters were not endearing.

I'm still wondering how it ever got picked up as a series with such a godawful pilot as that.

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

Mom was very disappointing and, shockingly, Alison Janney just wasn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

The Crazy Ones! The Crazy Ones! The Crazy Ones!The Crazy Ones! The Crazy Ones! The Crazy Ones!

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

R4,

It's worse. The Goldbergs has an '80s theme, yet they bypassed Jennifer Beals's very promising"Westside," with a good story, and a talented young cast.

I'm hoping Westside is picked up as a replacement. The Goldbergs got 9.4 million viewqers for the debut, but they'll be lucky to hold half of that audience soon.

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

MEN with Tony Shaloub & Jerry whatshisname from STAND BY ME. ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!!!

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

Back in the Game will be the first to go.

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

Hostages

Apparently the order has been cut down from 15 to 13. Which means the last four scripts have to be furiously rewritten.

by Anonymousreply 1109/29/2013

I agree with r8. We Are Men is excruciatingly bad. It makes Dads look like Cheers. What a train wreck. I'm going with this.

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

The Michael J Fox Show will only last one season. Sean Saves the World will be gone at mid season. Hostages may make it through its 15 episodes, but it won't be renewed - and they may burn the last half of it off on Saturdays.

I like everything about The Crazy Ones except Robin Williams.

by Anonymousreply 1309/29/2013

Poor Matt Long. They even canceled Private Practice when he was on. I wish he'd get on a show that could last.

The first episode of Lucky 7 sucked, but only because it has a long and specific setup that has to be gone through. Its future episodes may be delightful. I will watch it until ABC kills it.

by Anonymousreply 1409/29/2013

I hope Betrayal lasts the season. The minute football makes The Good Wife late, I'm going to jump to ABC. I watched it last night, and I kept thinking how much I might enjoy it with different actors, with the exception of Stuart Townsend.

by Anonymousreply 1509/30/2013

CBS has terrible sitcoms. You know they suck when How I Met Your Mother is their funniest show.

by Anonymousreply 1609/30/2013

Betrayal tanked in the ratings last night for good reasons. All the leads are extremely uncompelling. These were the ones who got network approval? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 1709/30/2013

I'm guessing it'll be SEAN SAVES THE WORLD.

by Anonymousreply 1809/30/2013

crazy ones won its time slot. that may last a while. thankfully, so i can watch James Wolk.

by Anonymousreply 1909/30/2013

Betrayal

by Anonymousreply 2009/30/2013

The Goldbergs. You can even see it on the actors's faces as they deliver their lines that even they know it's a giant turd. Wendy Mclendon Covey was on Andy Cohen's show last week to plug the show. She even said in a DESPERATE attempt to get people to tune in, "If this isn't one of the most funniest shows on TV, well then I just don't know what is funny is anymore..." Ugggh.

Wendy, you in danger, guurl.

by Anonymousreply 2109/30/2013

The Goldbergs. Jesus Christ that shit reeked. I love WMC, but the rest of the cast is horrible. Better actors could possibly maybe salvage the script, but these hacks ain't gonna do it.

by Anonymousreply 2209/30/2013

It's looking more and more likely to be Hostages but I think it'll be moved to Friday or Saturday night to burn off ten episodes.

by Anonymousreply 2310/01/2013

R23 they should just package all episodes on Netflicks.

by Anonymousreply 2410/01/2013

So far, every new show I've seen looks to be a worthy candidate for quick cancellation.

by Anonymousreply 2510/01/2013

They should cancel everything and start all over again.

by Anonymousreply 2610/01/2013

Good idea, R24.

by Anonymousreply 2710/01/2013

The only new show I think is a winner is Sleepy Hollow. I tried to watch The Blacklist three times and just couldn't get into it. I really wanted to like it because I love Spader. Still, it's a bona fide hit for NBC. Based on the promos, Mom is being supported by CBS and The Goldbergs is being touted as a hit for ABC, so I think they will stick around. NBC will stick with Michael J. Fox. The Crazy Ones is lucky to be on after TBBT. Strangely enough, Dads fits right in with irreverant Fox programming and will likely stick around, at least for one season. Betrayal will probably be the first to go. Townsend is aging and the female lead looks like a catalog model and has no acting ability. Hostages will probably be allowed to complete it's run on an off night like Saturday but won't be renewed. Then again, do the networks have replacement shows in the wings so early in the new season?

by Anonymousreply 2810/01/2013

Betrayal was only ever slotted to run half the season. I think ABC will let it run because they've already got a problem with Lucky 7 and can't fill both holes at once this quickly. Plus, they let Pan Am and 666 Park Avenue air a lot of episodes in that slot before they got yanked for good.

by Anonymousreply 2910/01/2013

That idiotic show with Tony Shalhoub will be the first to go, like "Partners" last year.

by Anonymousreply 3010/01/2013

I actually liked The Crazy Ones more than I thought I would. But I was disappointed with the Michael J. Fox Show - just wasn't good.

by Anonymousreply 3110/01/2013

It certainly won't be the first to go but I think Agents of SHIELD is going to go down in flames and it should. The characters are just so fucking bland. They have no superpowers whatsoever and only three of the team members can defend themselves -- the other three are totally fucking useless.

I don't know, maybe I'm judging too quickly but I think people are going to get bored with this shit and FAST and all those millions they saw for their premiere last week won't be sticking around for much longer.

by Anonymousreply 3210/01/2013

Brooklyn 99 (3rd episode tonight) DAMN WAS IT BAD. i didn't even smile once.

by Anonymousreply 3310/01/2013

Agents of Shield, The Goldbergs, Lucky 7, and Trophy Wife all took a tumble this week. Lucky 7 in particular is doing really poorly - it got a .8 in the demo which puts it on the CW level.

by Anonymousreply 3410/02/2013

Yes, what the hell was Betrayal? I put it on after the Breaking Bad finale, and can't remember anything about it except it was clearly terrible, and I ended up watching Talking Bad instead. You'd think with a similar title and putting it after Revenge it'd have some of the same appeal, but obviously it doesn't. Another real swift programing move from one of the old legacy networks.

by Anonymousreply 3510/02/2013

Betrayal will probably go the way of Deception (another Revenge rip off). I'm waiting for the networks to do a show called Mendacity.

For a while there we were getting Mad Men ripoffs....now we're getting Revenge ripoffs.

by Anonymousreply 3610/02/2013

BETRAYAL is this season's 666 PARK AVENUE. It's a flop!

by Anonymousreply 3710/02/2013

I watched the first episode of Trophy Wife last night and loved it.

Hello Ladies on HBO is very promising, too.

by Anonymousreply 3810/02/2013

Watched a few more premiers this last weekend... I didn't love Trophy Wife, but it was funny enough. I like Shield, but I'm an unabashed Whedonite. Will give Blacklist one more episode. The Sarah Michelle Gellar show (already forgot the name) is probably my favorite of the bunch.

by Anonymousreply 3910/02/2013

i just tried to watch Trophy.... shut it off half way thru. deleted from DVR listings.

by Anonymousreply 4010/02/2013

I'm really enjoying Hostages so far. I'm surprised it's not doing well.

by Anonymousreply 4110/02/2013

Hostages! Promising first episode but second episode was just laughable. I realized no way could they make this plot work for a season. Checked out after first half hour. I love Sleepy Hollow though. Tom Mison is going to be a big star.

by Anonymousreply 4210/02/2013

After two decent episodes, I agree that Brookly Nine-Nine was bad last night. The show has pure gold in the relationship bewteen Andy Samberg-Andre Braugher. Too much focus on the supporting cast last night, which is very much inferior to that of The Cazy Ones.

by Anonymousreply 4310/02/2013

Hello Ladies was just ok. I feel like the "cringe comedy" thing has been done to death by now, but I'll give it one or two more episodes.

by Anonymousreply 4410/02/2013

Eek, Agents of SHIELD lost 1/3 of its premiere viewers.

by Anonymousreply 4510/02/2013

Blacklist lost me after two episodes. The plot is a sloppy mess and the makers don't seem to care about it. The only thing I've ended up enjoying about it is the blond FBI agent whose body looks nice beneath the suit, and I love his face. But will they cancel it? If they kept that Alias turd alive for years then this will probably have a chance, too, because it seems to target the same audience.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is still a bit of mystery. In a way I enjoy watching it but it's very mediocre. I like the tall agent and try to spot his bulge all the time. Unfortunately it's not a good thing if that is one of the most important things to watch for in a show. I didn't really care about Samuel L. Jackson's visit, because it just underlined that this is a small tv show, not a big Marvel movie. BUT there still is some magic in the show and I hope that the show will grow to be more meaningful. But they need good stories. The second episode had just below the bar story.

I only watched The Goldbergs for 10 minutes and deleted it. The Crazy Ones has only one redeeming quality: Wolk, but like I said in The Crazy Ones thread he'd have to be in every single scene in his undies for me to keep watching the show, and of course that's not going to happen.

Sleepy Hollow really is the star of the new shows. Just love it, and hope they keep its fantasy horror elements as dark as they have been, and go even farther.

by Anonymousreply 4610/02/2013

It looks like I'm gonna win the bet, OP.

What do I win?

by Anonymousreply 4710/02/2013

You win the first (and only) season of "Lukcy 7" on DVD, r47.

by Anonymousreply 4810/02/2013

I liked DECEPTION so much more than the clown show it replaced, R36. I wish it had come back.

by Anonymousreply 4910/02/2013

Ironside debuted badly

by Anonymousreply 5010/03/2013

Super Fun Night

Gag.

by Anonymousreply 5110/03/2013

"Sleepy Hollow" was the first one renewed.

by Anonymousreply 5210/03/2013

I dunno, the Michael J. Fox show is lookin pretty shaky right now.

by Anonymousreply 5310/03/2013

Super Fun Night did surprisingly OK last night.

by Anonymousreply 5410/03/2013

ba dum bum!

by Anonymousreply 5610/03/2013

looks like a race between Lucky 7 and Betrayal to be the first to get the ax.

by Anonymousreply 5710/03/2013

I was not pleased with Super Fun Night.

by Anonymousreply 5810/03/2013

I was shocked at how bad Super Fun Night was.

by Anonymousreply 5910/03/2013

I think the Goldbergs had potential.

The cast is good.

The premise is sound.

They're too quick to give the characters redeeming qualities.

Too much 7th Heaven not enough Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 6010/03/2013

Something about The Goldbergs rubs me the wrong way. I don't give a fuck about some pretentious actor's family in the 80's.

I think The Millers will crash and burn.

by Anonymousreply 6110/03/2013

The one where, in the preview, that fat girl's clothes get eaten off by the elevator doors. That was painful to watch, even for two seconds. Who thinks this stuff is funny!?

by Anonymousreply 6210/03/2013

My bet is on Ironside. I haven't seen that much scenery chewing since Shatner was on Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 6310/03/2013

Will & Grace

by Anonymousreply 6410/03/2013

Yeah, it's a toss-up between Ironside and Hostages as to which one gets yanked first.

by Anonymousreply 6510/03/2013

If you're watching The Millers, you know this thread is now officially closed.

by Anonymousreply 6710/03/2013

Love Dads and the Goldbergs

by Anonymousreply 6810/03/2013

Sean Saves The World is an utter trainwreck.

by Anonymousreply 6910/03/2013

Discussing passable vs bad network sitcoms in 2013 is similar to the task of trying to figure out which strain of Ebola would cause you the least painful death.

by Anonymousreply 7010/03/2013

tried to like crazy ones. but tonight's ep was really bad. sorry James Wold, in spite of your beauty and talent... not going to make it -- again.

by Anonymousreply 7110/03/2013

Add me to the list of James Wolk fans. I love that guy. Too bad The Crazy Ones seems like a dud.

by Anonymousreply 7210/03/2013

Sean Saves the World may be bad but am I the only one who thought some of the reviews were over-the-top nasty? I don't know, it just seemed like some of the critics were really looking forward to ripping this show to shreds and Sean Hayes along with it (the Hollywood Reporter review was especially nasty). Granted, they weren't high on Michael J. Fox's show either but there was just so much more of a respectful tone in those reviews as opposed to those for Sean Saves the World.

Not writing this to defend Hayes, just saying some of the vitriol directed at his sitcom seems to have been about something other than the quality of the work.

by Anonymousreply 7310/03/2013

I really love Sean Hayes. He was hilarious on Will and Grace and has great comic timing. I don't understand why some people here are so down on him. That said, his new show does look stupid.

by Anonymousreply 7410/03/2013

I did not need to know about the mother's farts. The Millers has got to go.

by Anonymousreply 7510/03/2013

Agree that The Crazy Ones was bad tonight. Still think they have the right idea in limiting Robin Williams appearance & letting the supporting cast shine, but it did not work in this 2nd episode.

by Anonymousreply 7610/03/2013

Lucky 7 will be gone soon. We Are Men doesn't look long for this world, either.

by Anonymousreply 7710/03/2013

I don't even know what We Are Men is. Have to look that up.

by Anonymousreply 7810/03/2013

Lucky 7's first episode had the lowest ratings for any ABC fall premiere EVER.

Then it went down in week 2 by over 40%.

My prediction: the numbers for next week will be the same as week 2, and the cancellation announcement will be made the next day.

by Anonymousreply 7910/03/2013

We have a winner!

r1!

And r79, it was announced today, not net week.

Per Deadline:

We have the first casualty of the 2013-14 broadcast season. ABC has pulled freshman drama Lucky 7 after two episodes, the second one posting that unlucky 0.7 adults 18-49 rating on Tuesday.

Starting next week, ABC will air repeats of red-hot Scandal — which hit series highs in its third-season premiere last night — in Lucky 7‘s Tuesday 10 PM slot until settling on a permanent replacement. There are no immediate plans to air the already-produced Lucky 7 episodes, and discussions are underway whether to stop production immediately.

The fate of Lucky 7 was sealed by that dismal Week 2 demo rating of 0.7, down 46% from the series’ underwhelming premiere. But in its defense, the adaptation of the British series was a low-key blue-collar ensemble drama with no stars that was launched with hardly any marketing push and no established lead-in (fellow under-promoted new series Trophy Wife) as part of an all-freshman Tuesday lineup.

by Anonymousreply 8010/04/2013

Didn't TPTB learn anything from the last season of Roseanne? Nobody wants to hear about the "problems" of lottery winners.

by Anonymousreply 8110/04/2013

Damn, I wanted to see the fat lady bust her husband cheating

by Anonymousreply 8210/04/2013

[quote]Back in the Game will be the first to go.

Is Maggie Lawson now on two series? Or has "Psych" been canceled.

by Anonymousreply 8310/04/2013

Lucky 7 was one of the few I actually liked.

by Anonymousreply 8410/04/2013

And the second new series to get renewed is ... The Blacklist.

by Anonymousreply 8510/04/2013

"Is Maggie Lawson now on two series? Or has "Psych" been canceled."

Psych came to an end because the stars/producers wanted to end it

by Anonymousreply 8610/04/2013

R81, I really liked a British series called At Home With The Braithwaites. The basic premise was that a woman wins a huge jackpot but decides to keep it secret for a while. She soon finds out her husband is having an affair. She kicks him out and at the end of Season 1 she reveals her "secret." I thought this would have made a much better vehicle for Laura Linney than The Big C.

by Anonymousreply 8710/04/2013

Psych isn't over yet, especially with Maggie Lawson now available again.

by Anonymousreply 8810/04/2013

[quote]Sean Saves the World may be bad but am I the only one who thought some of the reviews were over-the-top nasty? I don't know, it just seemed like some of the critics were really looking forward to ripping this show to shreds and Sean Hayes along with it (the Hollywood Reporter review was especially nasty). Granted, they weren't high on Michael J. Fox's show either but there was just so much more of a respectful tone in those reviews as opposed to those for Sean Saves the World. Not writing this to defend Hayes, just saying some of the vitriol directed at his sitcom seems to have been about something other than the quality of the work.

I think, generally speaking, critics like Sean Hayes. Some of the vitriol is because critics know he's far better than this show.

On top of that, it's on NBC. NBC may not always have ratings, but it's the network that traditionally takes chances and pushes the boundaries of sitcoms, from Cheers to Seinfeld to 30 Rock. Sean Saves the World feels like a Nick at Night reject.

by Anonymousreply 8910/05/2013

R1 wins!

by Anonymousreply 9010/05/2013

I don't think critics are that crazy about Sean Hayes, because for now he's basically known as a one-note gay stereotype. No matter how successfully portrayed, that's still what the Jack character boils down to. I think he's got more talent than that, but he hasn't proven it to the general public yet.

by Anonymousreply 9110/05/2013

"I don't think critics are that crazy about Sean Hayes, because for now he's basically known as a one-note gay stereotype. No matter how successfully portrayed, that's still what the Jack character boils down to."

If you think the Jack character was a stereotype, blame the writers, not the actor. He had great comic timing, which is why he won an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 9210/05/2013

It must be very hard to be an actor trying to push a new show when you *know* it really kind of stinks and you might want to move on to something else.

But of course, I guess if you want to keep collecting the checks, you'll suck it up and lie about what a great show it is .....

by Anonymousreply 9310/05/2013

We Are Men has just been cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 9410/09/2013

True, R93, though to be fair, I think all actors do this regardless of the medium. How many times have we seen film actors go out to promote their latest movie saying how great it is, then when it comes out and the critics hate it and it bombs, they either (a) never speak of it ever again or (b) join in on the jokes and talk about what a dud it was (usually while out promoting their next project).

by Anonymousreply 9510/09/2013

I predicted WE ARE MEN would be cancelled a few dozen threads back.

by Anonymousreply 9610/10/2013

R8/R12 win (R12 got the name right so gets honorable mention even if they weren't technically first in this thread).

by Anonymousreply 9710/10/2013

Actually, R1 is the winner. Lucky 7 was the first show cancelled, not We Are Men. Lucky 7 was cancelled last week.

by Anonymousreply 9810/10/2013

Almost nothing new this season is worth saving.

by Anonymousreply 9910/10/2013

R98, you're kind of slow, aren't you?

R8/R12 win for the SECOND show canceled. They were the first ones to mention it.

When the next show is canceled, a new round of winners will be announced.

This isn't rocket science.

Please do try and keep up.

by Anonymousreply 10010/10/2013

Fox just picked up the show with John Mulaney that got passed over by NBC. He does stand up and was a writer on SNL. He created the character STEFON with Bill Hader.He's really cute. Based on that information (and the fact that this show only has one mildly funny bit per episode and therefore not worth the investment) my next pick for cancellation will be Dads.

by Anonymousreply 10110/11/2013

It looks like Welcome to the Family will be next on the chopping block.

Ironside didn't do very well in its premiere, but I'm guessing they'll give it a little more time anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10210/11/2013

NBC has to be freaking out. All 3 of their new Thursday night comedies are bombs: Welcome to the Family, Sean Saves the World and The Michael J. Fox Show.

by Anonymousreply 10310/11/2013

I just noticed out of all the (way too much) TV I watch, only ONE show is on NBC: Grimm.

That's it.

Nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 10410/11/2013

Your predictions are spot on!

Welcome to the Family AND Ironside are the latest casualties.

by Anonymousreply 10510/19/2013

Amazingly, "Dads" was picked up for a full season (shudder)

by Anonymousreply 10611/04/2013

Goldbergs and Trophy Wife both got picked up for a full season.

by Anonymousreply 10711/04/2013

It gets decent ratings r107. Not great ratings, but they are certainly good enough for any network to keep it on the air.

by Anonymousreply 10811/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.