Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rich people building ultra-luxury retail development at the edge of the Inner City

This should end well.

by Anonymousreply 1609/29/2013

Is gentrification anything new?

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

This message has been brought to you by the South American Drug Cartel.

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2013

Thank goodness--that area is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2013

Is there anything tackier than "high-end" designer goods?

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

Because rich people never live near the poor

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

That's not the inner city, it's between the gentrified upper east side and El Portal/ Atlantic Shores. The design District has been booming for quite a while. There was a stall, during the housing collapse, that actually contributed to the Design District's authenticity, but it's upscale niche has been there for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

Big deal. Upper Cuba meets Lower Upper Cuba.

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

You don't know your Miami, r6. The Design District isn't next to El Portal. It abuts Little Haiti to the north and Liberty City to the west. That's about as inner city as you can get.

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

There's nothing Cuban about that area.

And is this, strictly speaking, gentrification?cThat are is not middle class, working class, artistic, or even ethnic--which is what I associate with NYC gentrification. (This through the eyes of a non-NY.)

That neighborhood is about degradation, crime, and brutality. I never drive by without seeing a few rail thin (junkies?) and really, really deathly looking prostitutes staggering around. About five years ago, I was dropping someone off for a cruise at the port, and as I was driving away, passed a very diseased looking woman completely naked from the waist up running away frantically--but I didn't see anyone chasing her. (I called the cops, of course.)

I'm glad they're giving the area a re-boot.

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

**These are not middle-class, etc

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

"I was dropping someone off for a cruise at the port, and as I was driving away, passed a very diseased looking woman completely naked from the waist up running away frantically"

Oh, that was just my mother shooting the topless-on-the-street photos for her 'Sex' book.

by Anonymousreply 1109/29/2013

I think it is a good idea. It will allow the poor and wretched a chance to see what they could become if they got off the drugs and the dole.

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

Right R12, since there's no other way they could observe another way of living

by Anonymousreply 1309/29/2013

R11 Wins!

by Anonymousreply 1409/29/2013

R8, I only live there in the winter, but have never considered the surrounding areas of the Design District to be anything like an inner city. Little Haiti has some bad blocks, but hardly a slum like my northeastern inner city slums.

by Anonymousreply 1509/29/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1609/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!