Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Question about weaves

They have to make your head feel warm. Your hair is done on extremely tight cornrows and then hairpieces are stitched onto them. Isn't it like wearing a hat all day, every day? What if you get an itch on the scalp? How do you penetrate the layers? Some sort of a pick-like instrument?

by Anonymousreply 2710/04/2013

You get used to the feeling. I prefer the sew in. Glue would bring out your hair. For the itches you see women tap their scalp. You can also use a rat-tail comb.

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

That's why if i were a black woman I'd do something natural. Maybe still some processing to relax the curl a little, but mostly natural. For example I like this look:

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2013

R2 - what makes you think that woman does have weaves?

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2013

?? I posted her as an example of natural hair style

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

Sorry R2

That was a typo on my part.

Should have been:

What makes you think that woman doesn't have a weave.

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

The woman in R2's pic looks beautiful...I wish more black women went with shorter natural hairdos...the weaves, wigs and lacefronts are getting tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

R5, I was just assuming no weave on her (pic at R2) because it was posted as an example of natural hair for black women. That's how it came up in Google anyway.

But yeah that is what I would do. I would keep my hair on the short side, natural but well styled, and go with fabulous earrings/neckwear and keep my body in trim/fit shape. I think too many young black women today, at least in my part of Brooklyn, seems like they buy their hair and neglect their bodies.

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

A lot of AA women I know just wear wigs now...they're much cheaper than they used to be and look really great, even the synthetic ones. You can braid it up underneath and not have to glue/sew stuff in.

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

Well R2 - well I'm sure Black women everywhere are sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for your fashion advice.

Again you have no idea if that hair is "natural" or all hers.

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

I also have to add that in the natural hair community, wearing a wig is considered part of the "protective" hair styling regimen. Your hair is not exposed to products, heat or any potentially damaging chemical.

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

Do you know how many white women wear weaves? LOTS OF THEM!

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

I know some queens and women, all white by the way, who get weaves at Glamarama in San Francisco. One weave is cornrowed then hair put on the other is just glue on hair. Both aren't the best for your hair but cornrows give you less hair loss.

by Anonymousreply 1309/29/2013

I've only known one white woman tell me she had a weave. Her hair started falling out after her husband left her, nerves or something. I guess it never grew back after she calmed down, so she went to a high-end place and treated herself. It looked fantastic and blended in with the intact parts of her remaining hair. I couldn't tell!

by Anonymousreply 1409/29/2013

Not to defend white women, but the extensions and pieces usually match their natural hair texture. Not so with black women.

by Anonymousreply 1509/29/2013

"I've only known one white woman tell me she had a weave."

Your average white woman may be willing to discuss hair color changes, but talking about extensions isn't as common. I guess weaves aren't as common or socially acceptable among white women.

by Anonymousreply 1609/30/2013

More demonizing of bw. sorry no. have you bitches watched me tv, a channel with classic tv shows all the biggest white stars had weaves and clip on falls from that girl to genie to bewitched and yeh, farrah had clip on hair added.

this current crop of bulimic celebs and kardasians all wear weave.

due to bm dissing them everybody else wants to do the pile up. the question should be... who are bm to diss bw, at least they are carrying the community and raising kids by men who abandon them, as a collective. so miss me with the bw weave bashing shit. thanks

by Anonymousreply 1709/30/2013

Not all AA women have the 'good hair' gene to pull off the look in R2. You either have good natural hair (which pretty much everyone likes, btw) or you don't. In the case that you aren't born with the good hair, there's little that can be done with it and you have to work with what's out there. It seems to be a 50/50 split.

There will always be a market for wigs and weaves, but it's a mistake to assume that all black women would have great natural hair if only they just didn't get weaves.

by Anonymousreply 1809/30/2013

When you refer to "great natural hair", R18, what do you mean? Thick hair? Hair that grows rather than breaking off? Dainty ringlets like the one in the picture?

I hate to admit I'm old enough to remember the "black is beautiful" movement but I do, and I have to say that it makes me kind of sad to see all these black women straightening and bleaching and covering their hair. Nature usually gets it right, why change so much.

by Anonymousreply 1909/30/2013

This good hair/ bad hair is bs. Michelle O would look a helluva lot better without the straightened awfulness that is her hair, and for that matter Condi Rice. Both would look better with big natural hair, period.

by Anonymousreply 2009/30/2013

R19 Yes, by great natural hair I mean thick hair that can grow without breaking. Soft, minimally processed hair.

I agree with R20; MO and many others would look fantastic with natural hair, provided they have good natural hair to begin with. I just don't buy that everyone has great natural hair.

by Anonymousreply 2109/30/2013

Gay men fantasizing about being a black woman, and being overly PC about it nonetheless.

"AA" women? Don't black women in other countries have the same type of hair?

Classic DL.

by Anonymousreply 2209/30/2013

Natural hair is making a big comeback with black women. Like r8 said a lot of black women find good wigs now if they want to go straight while maintaining their natural hair underneath.

There is a huge section of the hair care industry targeted towards making natural hair care products. Sometimes I think this going in this business would be really profitable. This is the one of the few things that black women spend a sizable amount of their disposable income on, trying new products for hair growth.

Im a black guy with a hair pattern similar to that woman in r2. Even that sister has some kind of S-Curl activator in to make her curl. Back when I had my hair grown out, I spent a ton of money on hair products. A lot of the stuff made to define the curls in black hair is damaging, or it just sits on your hair and does nothing.

by Anonymousreply 2309/30/2013

Nowadays everyone can pretend they were born with beautiful hair

by Anonymousreply 2410/01/2013

I found a bit of a weave in a parking lot this week. How did this weave get there? Was she struck by lightning? hit by a car? jack slapped by Chris Brown? fucked silly?

Weaves creates far more questions than answers.

by Anonymousreply 2510/01/2013

Someone fucked her brains out, R25.

by Anonymousreply 2610/04/2013

r21 - I think that's cute. Is that supposed to be bad hair?

by Anonymousreply 2710/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.