Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you know anyone personally who doesn't have the internet?

Chatting with a friend this morning and he mentioned that he has an aunt and uncle who don't have internet. I couldn't believe it because I assume that everyone has internet- I mean it is 2013.

I personally don't know anyone without it and don't know how someone could function without it.

(I don't know how someone could function without a smartphone either, but I know there are still people with old cells.)

Do you know anyone personally without the internet and how do the cope?

by Anonymousreply 9609/30/2013

The richest people I know, and they a filthy rich, do not have internet at home.

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

And old uni teacher claims he doesn't have the internet and doesn't have a phone. He thinks he's some modern-day version of Salinger, so this could be true.

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2013

I have a relative to whom I am close. Person did not have home Internet until May 2012. I got the person set up. The individual has personality hangups (as does most people); but I was being used too much for looking up merchandise on Amazon.com, to check prices, and there were repeated reseaches on the same items. (Point was to see if items came down to a price more to my relative's liking.) I got tired of it but didn't want to say anything. I realized this individual, now 70, would be better off with one's own Internet. Not just for looking up the merchandise - but also for e-mail. To pay bills over the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

Yes, older people and some who only use it at work.

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

R4. No smartphone, but they do have Kindles. I think they only buy books on the Kindle.

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

My parents!

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

My father has no computer & doesn't want one. He doesn't even like the remote control for the TV & would prefer getting up to change the channel like we used to have to do (but he can't see the buttons on the modern TV well enough to do that).

Both of us just have landline phones (& only one in each house).

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

My boss, an 87 year old lawyer. We have to check (and send) his e-mail and sometimes do research for him. And when he gets stumped on the NYT crossword, he asks me if I can help, and if I don't know the answer off the top of my head, I Google it.

by Anonymousreply 1109/29/2013

Many old bosses have their secretaries print out their emails for them.

And they dictate responses.

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

I know an old biddy know it all who gets proven wrong because she doesn't have internet to do proper research. She thinks she's first to find out anything with her delivered local newspaper.

by Anonymousreply 1309/29/2013

yes I know a young couple with two kids that don`t have it... They can`t afford it and even had the land line taken out to save money

by Anonymousreply 1509/29/2013

My mother-in-law.

No internet. no smartphone.

Will not use a microwave (is afraid of it - and doesn't "know how")

Doesn't know how to use an automatic drip coffee machine (uses a stove top pot)

There is a brand new micro and Mr. Coffee in her kitchen (gifts from us from 10 years ago) sitting there unused.

by Anonymousreply 1609/29/2013

My grandmother, who passed away last at age 78, did not have the internet or even a computer. She didn't even like using ATMs. She had a flip-style cell and she did tell me she was considering buying a computer so my cousin or I could use it when we visited her. Not that that was necessary for us.

I know some people who do not have home internet connections, but they do have smartphones.

by Anonymousreply 1709/29/2013

Oh my OP, you do live in your own little dream world where everyone can afford computers and Internet. I'll bet you can't imagine anyone not having an iPhone either.

So many in this county don't know where the money to pay their rent is coming from or where the money for their next scrap of food is coming from. They are not worrying about being online.

by Anonymousreply 1809/29/2013

Is it possible to have internet and not have an email address?

by Anonymousreply 1909/29/2013

I thought I read that only 40 percent of people in the U.S. have internet in their home.

I would need to google that to verify.

by Anonymousreply 2109/29/2013

I knew some rich people in the past and one thing they had in common is that they never watched television. Maybe there's less need for escapism on their part.

by Anonymousreply 2209/29/2013

R18 is completely correct.

And it is absurd and ridiculous for you R20 to say R18 "hates this country".

You sound like a cretin R20.

by Anonymousreply 2309/29/2013

No, R20, I just hate morons without a conscience and with no reading comprehension like you.

Where in my post did I say I hate his country?

Oh right...if you acknowledge that there are poor people in the USA it equates hating the country.

Now go back and play with your iPhone or with yourself, which ever is your preference.

by Anonymousreply 2409/29/2013

Plenty of elderly people in their 80's do not have the internet.

My parents in their 80's had a computer and internet because my brother set it up for them, but a good number of women in their 80's in my apartment building do not.

My brother gave my parents a refurbished older computer and set it up and subscribed to the internet for the.

A friend, age 60, knows little about computer and how to use them, but just recently (eight months ago) bought an iPad to use for email and research because an iPad is much easier to use for people who have little or no knowledge of computers.

by Anonymousreply 2509/29/2013

I know many people that don't have the internet. I have a friend that not only doesn't have the internet, she has never owned a computer and to this very day does not even own a microwave. Never had a microwave.

by Anonymousreply 2609/29/2013

I had a microwave for a year, R26. I used it once or twice to melt chocolate. I left it behind one time when I moved.

by Anonymousreply 2809/29/2013

Thank God for computer-illiterate (older) bosses.

by Anonymousreply 2909/29/2013

I know a number of people who only seem to email from work - so possibly don't have a home computer, but might have a smart phone.

I know people who live in areas without good internet access - so either don't have a home computer or generally only access the internet when they are away from home.

I keep coming across people in their 20s with surprisingly low levels of knowledge about telecommunications - but who might have some basic form of smart phone.

There are also people who only access the internet at school or at a library; some older people who haven't embraced the internet; and people in jail/hospital etc. who have limited access.

by Anonymousreply 3109/29/2013

My mother and my grandparents don't have it.

by Anonymousreply 3209/29/2013

The main branch of the public library in my city has about 100 computers for public use, and a great many of the seats of the 100 computers are often full.

Yes, people access from libraries frequently.

by Anonymousreply 3309/29/2013

OP, your scope is very narrow.

I've worked on a computer since 1987 and have had a computer at home for tons of years, but I've never had a cellphone or a smartphone and I get along just fine.

For you to think people cannot function in life without a cellphone and particularly a smartphone shows how limited and sheltered your thinking is.

I feel sorry that you are so uneducated and limited in your scope of thinking.

by Anonymousreply 3409/29/2013

Ditto, R34

by Anonymousreply 3509/29/2013

I work in a public library in an urban area. I don't know anyone without Internet access, but I see plenty of familiar patron faces that only come to the library for the computers. Every day there are at least a few people waiting at the doors before we open.

by Anonymousreply 3609/29/2013

OP, maybe you're just so young you don't pay attention to people outside of your own age group.

My partner's parents. My aunt and uncle (who died two summers ago in their late 80s).

by Anonymousreply 3709/29/2013

95% of the women I work with over 50 don't have Internet, email, and are stubborn as shit about technology. It's irritating, actually. They won't even buy DVDs. They still use cassettes and VHS tapes. I, however, am also a non tv watcher. We have 400 channels at home and on the rare occasion I sit down to watch tv I can't get into it. I don have add, though.

by Anonymousreply 3809/29/2013

I have friends like r1's. Sociologically speaking, the reward for being fuck-you rich is that you don't have to deal with shit like the internet or personal phones -- you have people do it for you.

My grandmother, at 92, has a cell phone but no internet. My mom (her daughter) has internet but no cell phone.

I also know folks like the ones r18, r31 and r36 posted. The new socioeconomic divides seems to fall along lines of online access. Remote rural and poor urban kids and families do without -- and their job skills and marketability suffer for it.

by Anonymousreply 3909/29/2013

Sure. It's generational, mostly old people, or older people in executive positions who have assistants do everything for them or who have never had occasion to use the internet.

Among the generational exceptions, I know some educated people in their 30s and early 40s who work in the field of digital publishing: they regard the internet in the way primitive peoples might have reacted on being introduced to fire for the first time: they have never purchased anything online, for instance, and for anything outside of the few familiar things they must do at work every day, need guidance from absolute step one ("Plug in your computer...")

by Anonymousreply 4009/29/2013

[quote]I feel sorry that you are so uneducated and limited in your scope of thinking.

We are sorry you are so poor. Wait a minute, we aren't.

by Anonymousreply 4109/29/2013

So you think the rich/elite will soon relegate the internet to something of which that only poor/stupid people partake? Just like "watching television?"

by Anonymousreply 4209/29/2013

I have a friend that's 60, no computer and no home internet. We got him an iPad for his birthday. He goes to the library to use it.

by Anonymousreply 4309/29/2013

I just upgraded to a smartphone recently, and I don't see what the big deal is. I hate trying to use the web on that tiny screen, and if you go 20 minutes out of the city there's no 4G service. A basic cellphone is fine, but I do know a couple (middle aged) people who don't even have that, and don't care. I also can't stand people who are so addicted to their stupid phone that they are oblivious to the world around them.

by Anonymousreply 4409/29/2013

my father in law doesn't have the internet. we got him an ipad but it's useless to him.

by Anonymousreply 4509/29/2013

This just came out a few days ago:

Pew survey finds that 15 percent of Americans don't use the Internet.

Personally, I'm getting burned out on the internet. It's a huge waste of time. It's also huge expense when you use broadband at home and have a smartphone. It costs me around $150 a month for both.

I've been seriously thinking about getting rid of the smart phone and just going back to the landline. Found out I can add a landline to my broadband service with unlimited everything and it won't cost me anything more with their bundle. I could save $80 a month right there.

by Anonymousreply 4609/29/2013

The very rich tend to work 24/7. And most likely the internet isn't important for what they do. An exception would be people who deal with stocks.

TV and surfing do not build an empire.

by Anonymousreply 4709/29/2013

R46 - I kinda agree with you and I wouldn't be surprised if more people didn't move in that direction. My phone (a Galaxy) will barely retain any battery power if I do anything remotely interesting with it, so it basically becomes a landline as it has to be plugged in all the time. Coupled with the fact that it's expensive and kinda boring...I mean, what are people DOING with their smart phones that's absolutely necessary? I used it a few times for GPS help which was nice.

by Anonymousreply 4809/29/2013

r43 --

For his next birthday, go to Walmart and buy the guy a Hotspot.

It uses the omnipresent cellular phone signals to allow his iPad to jump on the Internet.

Cheap.

Then he won't have to travel to the library.

by Anonymousreply 4909/29/2013

[quote]For you to think people cannot function in life without a cellphone and particularly a smartphone shows how limited and sheltered your thinking is. I feel sorry that you are so uneducated and limited in your scope of thinking.

This is one of the stupidest things I've read here in some time.

by Anonymousreply 5009/29/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5109/29/2013

R51 is right. If you are not on Facebook, you're essentially invisible and people WILL think something is seriously off/odd about you.

by Anonymousreply 5209/29/2013

My father doesn't. He barely knows how to use his cell phone.

He's 84.

by Anonymousreply 5309/29/2013

R46 states:

"I've been seriously thinking about getting rid of the smart phone and just going back to the landline. Found out I can add a landline to my broadband service with unlimited everything and it won't cost me anything more with their bundle. I could save $80 a month right there."

R46, I get a completely free landline with unlimited free long distance calls by having a bundle with internet and cable.

by Anonymousreply 5409/29/2013

R51, R52, your beliefs about the necessity of being on Facebook are incredible, flabbergasting, mentally retarded, mind-boggling, erroneous, outrageous, and plain ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 5509/29/2013

The OP sounds like an idiot. There are MANY people who don't own a personal computer, either by choice or because they can't afford one. There are plenty of people who don't have "internet."

I assume the OP thinks that because it's 2013 every man, woman and child in the U.S. magically has internet access. That's just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5609/29/2013

[quote]if you are under, say, 40 and don't have Facebook and can't be reached at a moment's notice through a cell phone people really do think there's something wrong with you and judge you.

What? That is absurd. Only about half the people I know (under 40) are on Facebook. Even among those on it, only some of them regularly use it.

Now if you said "under 20", maybe it might have some validity.

by Anonymousreply 5709/29/2013

A related mystery, at least to me, is those who have access to a computer screen 24-7 yet check their email only once every few days (sometimes once a week or even more). All of my professional and most of my social loops contact me by email, and there are as well the odds and ends, like when you get a new follower on twitter, etc. I check my email by clicking on an icon in one of my toolbars and it instantly brings me to my inbox. It's not time-consuming--quite the contrary. So why do some people act as though keeping up with their email is burdensome? It's especially annoying if you want to buy something on eBay but the seller hasn't described the item adequately and you have to ask him a question about it--and it takes him four days to answer.

by Anonymousreply 5809/29/2013

I have internet, but no cell phone, and don't want one. I am retired, and hate talking on the phone. Never have liked being able to be contacted 24/7, no cell phone so I am not at your disposal anytime someone wants me. Very few calls are that important. I have a landline and I have Onstar in my vehicle so I have phone service in an emergency on the road but almost never use it. It is beyond me what the people who are on phone all the time have to talk about, you aren't that interesting.

by Anonymousreply 5909/29/2013

well-said, R59

by Anonymousreply 6009/29/2013

My brother has a computer, his wife uses it. He doesn't have a cell phone. Refuses to read on a kindle or other device. This is incredible to me. He and his wife have traveled extensively, both have master's degrees, albeit earned over 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6109/29/2013

Many older people do not have keyboard/typing skills. Typing was not a required class way back when. Younger people just do not understand sometimes how difficult it might be for them.

by Anonymousreply 6209/29/2013

[quote]So why do some people act as though keeping up with their email is burdensome?

R58, it's a form of time management. You address your email on a set schedule. This means that you get your work done before addressing the needs of others. It's part of that 'Four Hour Workweek' strategy for getting what you want out of work while avoiding business for the sake of business.

by Anonymousreply 6309/29/2013

My grandmother, but she's 97. She sort of stopped technology in the 1980s. She still listens to cds rather than mp3, she watches videos rather than dvds and still has a landline.

by Anonymousreply 6409/29/2013

For Christ sakes, R61, not having a kindle or book reading device is more common than having one.

Most people do not have a kindle or reading device.

You are brainwashed, myopic, and insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 6509/29/2013

So true, R62. I saw the way the world was going, and I learned to type at age 40.

M65, it is only now that I am older that I appreciate the Kindle. I can embiggen the typeface of anything I read on it. Try doing that with a book.

R61, if you really like your brother, get him a kindle and a gift certificate. I will never feel reading on a kindle is as real as reading a book, but the "change font size" feature means I'm probably going to read more books as I get still older than I would if I didn't have the Kindle.

by Anonymousreply 6609/29/2013

R65 Oh you poor thing, have they hidden your meds again?

I did not mean that everyone must have a reading device. My point was that my brother eschews all types of "modern" technology.

by Anonymousreply 6709/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 6809/29/2013

My dad (age 50s) doesn't own a computer or internet. He has the internet at work of course but not at home or on his cell phone.

He functions just like people did a decade or so ago when not everyone had the internet. He goes out and does real life things.

by Anonymousreply 6909/29/2013

On the other end of the spectrum, my friend Jason has had over 90 per cent of the internet.

by Anonymousreply 7009/29/2013

You swore you'd never tell!

by Anonymousreply 7109/29/2013

I would think that more old people would have keyboarding skills than young people. Particularly for women - weren't secretarial classes part of high school programs back in the 50's and 60's? I'm old (58) and I learned to type at the YMCA at a summer program when I was about 10. Still got those skills but my kids (in their 20's) do not. They're all hunt and peck. My texting really sucks, though.

As for the Kindle, I still don't have one. I've been debating about it for a few years now. I will probably get one at some point.

by Anonymousreply 7209/29/2013

Boys didn't take typing classes, R72. We would have secretaries.

by Anonymousreply 7309/29/2013

R66, I disagree that R61 should buy his brother a Kindle. And I strongly disagree.

No one really needs a Kindle an R61's brother sees no burning need for one.

You do not have to jump on the bandwagon for every new and old technological gadget/device.

Talk about lemmings.

R68, you are describing your world. Surely, you know that the entire U.S. does not duplicate what you deem important in your world. The fact that you think everyone should copy your world tells us all we need to know about your critical thinking skills.

by Anonymousreply 7409/29/2013

R72 probably had aspirations about being a secretary......BOYS/MED did not take typing. That was woman's work!

by Anonymousreply 7509/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 7609/29/2013

If you had bothered to read what I wrote, R74, you'd agree that having a Kindle might be a very good idea. It has absolutely nothing to do with "jump(ing) on the bandwagon" and everything to do with [italic]being able to read more clearly[/italic]. In fact, I was as cynical as you before someone gave me a kindle a couple of Decembers ago.

"Lemming"? Not in the least.

by Anonymousreply 7709/29/2013

R67, R61, your brother does not eschews all types of modern technology.

Your brother has a computer.

Having a computer is all he needs.

For you to say he eschews all modern technology is absurd. He has a computer which is makes communication with other, research, knowledge, and buying items possible.

You are deeply insufferable. Thinking you are so superior to your brother and others.

by Anonymousreply 7809/29/2013

R76, millions of people in the U.S. do NOT mess with Facebook in any way.

by Anonymousreply 7909/29/2013

sorry, meant eschew, others, cancel word is

by Anonymousreply 8009/29/2013

A very elderly friend was given a computer but refused to use it. He is afraid people will be able to see inside his home.

by Anonymousreply 8109/29/2013

R77, I read what you wrote closely and I know you were saying you like to enlarge the type for more clarity.

Good for you.

100 percent of people in the U.S. can live without a Kindle.

by Anonymousreply 8209/29/2013

[R63]: I'm not saying that everyone should be attending to email all day long, especially as much of it is just friendly gabble. But in many lines of work, email is now the vehicle for important communication, including from people who have a right to a prompt reply. If you're a writer, your editor might be sending you a query for a piece that's just about to run. Or there's the example I gave with the eBay seller. He could lose a sale because the prospective buyer gets fed up with waiting and buys what he needs from someone else.

In other words, why not check your email periodically, dealing promptly with the messages that demand prompt attention and saving the rest for later? I have a speed-up feature, too: I always leave ten unread messages in my inbox, so I can tell instantly by the parenthetical number next to "Inbox" whether or not I've got a new message.

by Anonymousreply 8309/29/2013

R77, magnifying glass placed on top of print - which is what people did for centuries before Kindles and reading devices were invented just recently.

by Anonymousreply 8409/29/2013

The same person who wrote this: [quote]Surely, you know that the entire U.S. does not duplicate what you deem important in your world. The fact that you think everyone should copy your world tells us all we need to know about your critical thinking skills.

Is also frothing on about how no one needs a Kindle or should be on Facebook. Are you that tone deaf? Can't others choose their own things to "deem important"?

You're an old fool, and a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 8509/29/2013

The youngest person I've met that didn't have or even wanted a computer or internet was a 35yo bi-sexual,ex-stripper Luddite who suffered from body dysmorphic disorder and had an obsession with music and performers from the 50s and 60s.

He was a cute,sweet guy with a great body which he always kept covered up because he always thought he was"too fat"...the last I heard he was being "funded" by some haggard, 49yo old blonde wannabe cougar bitch with money.

by Anonymousreply 8609/29/2013

R81.

You're friend is not as paranoid as one might think.

by Anonymousreply 8709/29/2013

Oops... I meant "your" not "you're"

by Anonymousreply 8809/29/2013

[quote] I have friends like [R1]'s. Sociologically speaking, the reward for being fuck-you rich is that you don't have to deal with shit like the internet or personal phones -- you have people do it for you.

My boyfriend and I have always said we wish we were rich enough to get rid of our phone. If we win the lottery we are getting rid of our phones. Both of us have always been the person that answers the phones at work and we hate it.

by Anonymousreply 8909/29/2013

[quote](as does most people)

mary!

by Anonymousreply 9009/29/2013

There are always lots of people in public libraries using the internet...(it is kind of sad nobody touches the books anymore)

by Anonymousreply 9109/29/2013

R84 (and practically every other R in this thread), if you stop drinking while you post online, I'll consider a magnifying glass.

by Anonymousreply 9209/29/2013

"it is kind of sad nobody touches the books anymore)"

In the library near where I live people "touch the books" a LOT. You think everybody who goes to libraries do nothing but piddle on the internet? Don't assume that everyone on earth is like you. You'd probably dry up and blow away without the internet to waste time on.

by Anonymousreply 9309/30/2013

My mother doesn't have a computer or cable. It's a bit frustrating sometimes, but I can't do anything about it. She doesn't really want either, and she's always talking that she can't afford it. She's 79.

by Anonymousreply 9409/30/2013

I have several relatives in their 70s and 80s who don't have Internet or computers.

by Anonymousreply 9509/30/2013

A few octogenarian aunts and uncles. But hey are aware of it and have access outside their own homes.

by Anonymousreply 9609/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.