Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hidden Gems from Hollywood's Golden Age

Whether or not they were box office hits when they were released, some of these movies are seldom seen on broadcast television today and aren't widely known.

They may or may not have major stars in them, and they may not be the most perfect films, but for some reason they are just among your favorite movies and you'll watch them again and again when they are shown.

Please let's stick to the Golden Age: This isn't a thread about independent films from the 70s or 80s, but studio productions from the 30s-50s or thereabouts.

Also please give us a few brief details along with the title if you can: year, star/s, plot outline, etc.

Have fun!

by Anonymousreply 10711/02/2013

I can still watch Dinner at Eight (1933.) Harlow's hilarious, as is Marie Dressler. Billie Burke has her moments.

For pure, sugary charm, give me any of the Andy Hardy movies.

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2013

I like Merrily We Live with Constance Bennett and Brian Aherne, also Billie Burke. I think it's from 1938. It's supposed to be a My Man Godfrey ripoff but I like it better. It has some hilarious scenes.

I also like a film called It All Came True from 1940. It stars Ann Sheridan and Humphrey Bogart. It's just a sweet film about a young woman who comes home to find her mother is about to lose her house.

Then there's "It's Love I'm After" from 1937 with Bette Davis, Leslie Howard, and Olivia deHavilland. Davis and Howard are married actors and in the beginning, they're doing the death scene in Romeo & Juliet and insulting one another under their breaths. He's a flirt and she's jealous. Very good.

"Three Strangers" from 1946 is one of my favorites: Geraldine Fitzgerald, Sydney Greenstreet, and Peter Lorre. Fitzgerald picks up two men (very subtle but I think you're supposed to believe she's a prostitute) because on New Year's Eve, the Kwan Yin grants a wish to three strangers. They all agree on a lottery ticket, with the understanding that if it's drawn, it then is bet on the horse race. Interesting film, very entertaining as you see what happens to each person.

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

I found The Uninvited, a 1944 ghost movie starring Ray Milland, Rugh Hussey (gotta love that name!) and Gail Russell to be a surprisingly scary, atmospheric horror movie.

Catch it if you get the chance.

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

A Letter for Evie and The Affair of Martha - two nice romantic comedies, both directed by Jules Dassin (before he became famous for his dark crime movies) and starring wonderful Marsha Hunt.

Search for Beauty - my favorite pre-code movie. Plenty of dirty jokes and even a shot of naked male buttocks in a locker room.

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

[R5] I didn't mention that film because I thought it was better known. We had a drinking game where we drank some of a mimosa whenever they said "mimosa." Love that film. Somewhat Rebecca-like.

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

Midnight with Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche and John Barrymore. Great romantic comedy, used to be on TMC on occasion.

The script is very clever with top notch performances.

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

I agree, r8, but I think Midnight is pretty well known.

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

Another forgotten classic is September Affair with Joan Fontaine and Joseph Cotten. The story itself is preposterous and over the top, but they have great chemistry between them and the shots of Capri, Naples and Florence are fabulous.

P.S. Movies like Midnight and The Uninvited aren't really obscure. Check out the movie's page on IMDB first-if the movie has more than 2000 votes it's pretty well known.

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

"Lady in the Lake." Robert Montgomery( a very much under-rated actor) is the protagonist, but is never actually seen. He does make a brief appearance on-screen, but only because you see his reflection in a mirror. Everything is viewed from HIS perspective, in effect, the camera is Mr. Montgomery's character(Philip Marlowe). It's a little bit odd at first, but once you get used to it, it's enjoyable. Audrey Totter is the female lead.

by Anonymousreply 1109/29/2013

Maybe someone can help me find this's a blacl/white film, I think, from the 1950's about a man who survived a plane crash and he goes and visits the family members of the survivors.

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

Sounds like Phone Call from a Stranger.

by Anonymousreply 1309/29/2013

R12, think it's "Phone Call From a Stranger" with Gary Merrill, Bette Davis, Shelley Winters, Keenan Wynn and Michael Rennie. Directed by Jean Negulesco. Love that movie!

by Anonymousreply 1409/29/2013

"The Face Behind the Mask" starring Peter Lorre & Evelyn Keyes from1941. Lorre is an immigrant severly disfigured from a fire and winds up doing jobs for a criminal gang. Fine little gem.of a movie

by Anonymousreply 1509/29/2013

Remember the night with Stanwyk and MacMurry.

by Anonymousreply 1609/29/2013

Though mostly forgotten now, Robert Montgomery was a huge star in the early 1930s, replacing William Haines as MGM's urbane #1 leading man.

His reign was brief though as the studio's Clark Gable and Robert Taylor were waiting in the wings and essentially outclassed him by 1936 or so.

Check him out as the murderous young man in the film adaptation of Emlyn Williams' NIGHT MUST FALL, costarring Dame May Whitty and Rosalind Russell when she was still an ingénue (sort of).

by Anonymousreply 1709/29/2013

"All I Desire" Stanwyck-Sirk.

"The Hard Way" Ida Lupino pushes her sister to stardom.

"Road House" Again with Lupino. This is really good stuff.

"Ramrod" Western with Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake

"The Cobweb" Nut-house antics from Vincente Minnelli.

"Murder, He Says" Fred McMurray. This one really ought to be much better known.

by Anonymousreply 1809/29/2013

R17 [italic] Night Must Fall [/italic] is another one of my personal faves! RM was Oscar-worthy in that one.

by Anonymousreply 1909/29/2013

"Abandon Ship" (1957) with Tyrone Power. Cannot imagine why this one isn't a classic - top-notch script and direction, and a truly startling premise: a lifeboat captain realizes he must sacrifice the lives of some passengers to keep the boat afloat. I was surprised the censor even allowed this movie to be made.

by Anonymousreply 2009/29/2013

"Five Fingers" with James mason and Danielle Darrieux. Story of the spy in turkey who stole the DDay secrets in WWII. Only know if it being on TCM once.

by Anonymousreply 2109/29/2013

R20 Think that film was based on a true story. Hated when the dog jumped in after his master who had been cast aside off the life boat.

by Anonymousreply 2209/29/2013

R22 I know. When they talked about eating the dog I knew I was not seeing the usual classic movie.

by Anonymousreply 2309/29/2013

[R20] I could only watch that film once, never again. Too hard to take.

by Anonymousreply 2409/29/2013

Another nod to "The Hard Way". Ida Lupino is perfectly cast.

by Anonymousreply 2509/29/2013

Give Barbara Stanwyck's The Miracle Woman from 1931 a look. The lady was great even at the age of 24.

by Anonymousreply 2609/29/2013

"The Lady Gambles" - Barbara Stanwyck goes ballistic.

"The Happy Time" a jewel with Charles Boyer and Louis Jordan.

"Charley's Aunt" (Jack Benny) My favorite guilty pleasure.

And I second "Five Finger Exercise"!

by Anonymousreply 2709/29/2013

Cluny Brown 1946, directed and produced by Ernst Lubitsch. Starring Charles Boyer and Jennifer Jones the film is a satire on the smugness of British high society. It's the last film Lubitsch completed

by Anonymousreply 2809/29/2013

Definitely CITY FOR CONQUEST starring James Cagney and Ann Sheridan. Really an engrossing, wonderful film.

HOLD BACK THE DAWN with Olivia de Havilland, Charles Boyer and Paulette Goddard. Immigration and border issues, Billy Wilder's superb screenplay and the acting of all 3 leads is exceptional.

A FOREIGN AFFAIR with Marlene Dietrich, Jean Arthur and John Lund is brilliant, Billy Wilder's writing at his best.

Another vote for the always-underrated, still ahead of its time THE HARD WAY with Ida Lupino.

I love 3 films which were flops in their day, mostly due to issues with their stars - not the films themselves:

UNCERTAIN GLORY - Errol Flynn gave a superb performance in a very dark World War II film, perhaps too dark for the "MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS" era.

THE MINIVER STORY - Greer Garson was on her way out at MGM and this is not a perfect film, but it is lovely but sad love story. Walter Pidgeon was great.

A LIFE OF HER OWN - Lana Turner was fighting with MGM, and she was too heavy to play a fashion model. George Cukor seemed to have issues with film editing in that era, but Lana was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 2909/29/2013

{quote]UNCERTAIN GLORY - Errol Flynn gave a superb performance in a very dark World War II film, perhaps too dark for the "MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS" era.

He's very good in the exciting OBJECTIVE, BURMA! as well. Flynn's notoriety overshadows the fact that he had real skills and charm as a performer.

by Anonymousreply 3009/29/2013

A Bedtime Story (1933) starring Maurice Chevalier, Helen Twelvetrees, and Edward Everett Horton. A hilarious comedy also starring a cute baby.

by Anonymousreply 3109/29/2013

On Borrowed time with Lionel Barrymore. About a little boy who traps "Death" in a tree and no one dies anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3209/29/2013

R32, that was remade as "Meet Joe Black" with Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 3309/29/2013

One of my favourite films is "Apartment for Peggy", a 1948 movie with Edmund Gwenn as a crusty old philosophy professor, and Jeanne Crain and William Holden as the GI couple who change his outlook on life. It's a light comedy, but there are some surprisingly dark moments (the prof is suicidal). And it's probably the first major studio movie to use the word "pregnant".

I recently giggled myself silly through two obscure comedies- "Hi Gang" with Ben Lyon and Bebe Daniels (but made in England) and "The Feminine Touch" with Van Heflin and Don Ameche.

A good spy/WW2 movie which seems to be fairly unknown is "The Adventures of Tartu" with Robert Donat.

Another Robert Montgomery fan here- my favourite is "Private Lives", he and Norma Shearer had such great chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 3409/29/2013

The original of Meet Joe Black was Death Takes a Holiday, starring the delicious Freddie March.

by Anonymousreply 3509/29/2013

I love William Holden and one of my fave Holden movies is Rachel and The Stranger. I also enjoyed the one he made w/Lucy. Ms Grant Takes Richmond.

Not sure if I got this correct...Letter from an Unknown Woman. Louis Jourdan and Joan fontaine.

I Confess.

A Gene Tierny/Vincent Price movie named Dragonwyke. Very good. They had good chemistry. explains why they were a few movies together.

by Anonymousreply 3609/29/2013

R32, marry me! I saw OBT years ago on late night tv, and it's stayed a favorite. Gets me teared up every time.

by Anonymousreply 3709/29/2013

"Son of Fury" with Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney, George Sanders, and Frances Farmer.

A young man is cheated out of his birthright, travels to a South Sea island and returns rich to claim what is rightfully his....

Everyone is beautiful and it's my favorite Frances Farmer film.

by Anonymousreply 3809/29/2013

R32 and R35- like both films, especially "On Borrowed Time." R36 Correct about "Letter from an Unknown Woman."

by Anonymousreply 3909/29/2013

Thumbs up for MISS GRANT TAKES RICHMOND! Lucy and Holden are great and have wonderful chemistry. SLIGHTLY DANGEROUS is one of Lana Turner's lesser known movies and she shows a real flair for comedy. Also YOU CAME ALONG, Lizabeth Scott's first him.

by Anonymousreply 4009/29/2013

THE PETTY GIRL (1950) is a fun little B musical gem starring Bob Cummings in a fictionalized version of cheesecake artist George Petty's career. With the lovely (and very forgotten) Joan Caulfield as his inspiration and model....though he must first wrest her away from the snooty New England college where she teaches (don't ask!).

Wonderful supporting cast including Elsa Lanchester, Melville Cooper and Mary Wickes.

The other Joan C. should have been a bigger star.

by Anonymousreply 4109/29/2013

"My Cousin Rachel" An adaptation of the Daphne Du Maurier novel with a gorgeous Richard Burton (who was nominated for a supporting Oscar). Great ending that comes out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 4209/29/2013

I've seen most of the films mentioned and can recommend all of them!

by Anonymousreply 4309/29/2013

R5 glad to see someone else is a fan of The Uninvited. When I was a kid I read the book and it terrified me. It was one of the first grown up books I read. It was fairly old, but my mom had it on the shelf and the name intrigued me so I read it. My previous exposure to ghost stories was on the level of Scooby doo, so this one really scared me.

If you enjoyed that old movie, you should look for the book, it is even scarier.

I think there has been at least one other movie called The Uninvited and I had hoped it would be a remake, but it wasn't related at all. Fun thread, lots of good old movies to add to my list

by Anonymousreply 4409/29/2013

[quote] that was remade as "Meet Joe Black" with Brad Pitt.

Please, in the name of God tell me that I misunderstood you and that someone did not cast Brad Pitt in a role originated by Lionel Barrymore...

by Anonymousreply 4509/29/2013

These Wilder Years--it shows up on TCM once in awhile. Barbara Stanwyck runs a home for wayward girls and James Cagney comes in search of the grown-up son he denied was his decades before (and he abandoned the mother). Soapy, but those two actors click together--two professionals who know how to play mature, intelligent adults with just the right amount of emotional complexity.

by Anonymousreply 4609/29/2013

Death Takes a Holiday (1934) I hope this one is obscure enough. Frederic March is Death, who goes "on vacation" by becoming a mortal and hanging out with some European aristocrats at a palace. One falls in love with him.

d. Mitchell Leisen.

by Anonymousreply 4709/29/2013

r33 is incorrect. Meet Joe Black was a remake of Death Takes A Holiday, which is a hidden Hollywood gem also.

Why they decided to take a nice little 80 minute movie and turn it into a three hour mess is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 4809/30/2013

Don't worry, R45, JOE BLACK wasn't the remake of ON BORROWED TIME, so Brad wasn't playing Barrymore's part. JOE BLACK was a remake of DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY. Brad was playing the Frederick March role. See? Muuuuuuuuch better.

by Anonymousreply 4909/30/2013

REPEAT PERFORMANCE is a seldom seen film that is pretty good. I had heard of it and finally bought a bootleg dvd of it off of ebay several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5009/30/2013

A little comedic "B" movie gem from Universal--"The Invisible Woman". Virginia Bruce is a down-on-her luck fashion model who volunteers to test a nutty professor's ( John Barrymore) invisibility machine. A cute little time killer with a great supporting cast including Margaret Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 5109/30/2013

r49 - beat ya to it. :)

by Anonymousreply 5209/30/2013

So many to list:

ROAD HOUSE - mentioned earlier - Lupino and Celeste Holm are great in this. Very stylish thriller.

The Spiritualist (aka The Amazing Mr. X) - another great noir shot by John Alton.

Nightmare Alley - Dark turn for Tyrone Power with Helen Walker before her career ended in a drunk driving accident. Love this one.

Fugitive Lovers - bus trip road pic features Robert Montgomery at his leading man stage at MGM. Similar to It Happened One Night.

We're Rich Again - Billie Burke at her most dotty and Buster Crabbe at his most beautiful. Screwball RKO comedy is interesting.

Confession - Kay Francis at the end of her WB contract plays a singer who will stop at nothing to protect her daughter. Directed with flair by Joe May.

by Anonymousreply 5309/30/2013

Repeat Performance is awesome. Check it out if you can.

by Anonymousreply 5409/30/2013

[quote]"The Hard Way" Ida Lupino pushes her sister to stardom.

I love this lurid movie.

Although it is quite famous, many have not seen Gene Tierney is "Leave Her to Heaven". A despicable crazy woman unraveling the lives of those around her in a paranoid frenzy. From 1945 and it's in color.

Another favorite is "Easy Living" with the forgotten Jean Arthur. Directed by Mitchell Leisen, with a screenplay by Preston Sturges. You can tell!

I always enjoy the pre-code "Dance, Fools, Dance" with Joan Crawford, and in a supporting role, Clark Gable. I like a lot of criminal activity!

by Anonymousreply 5509/30/2013

That's quite a coincidence we had up there at replies 47, 48, and 49, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 5609/30/2013

The Penalty (1941) Edward Arnold; Lionel Barrymore. About a gangster (Arnold), whose favorite son is sent to a "reform farm" and asked to betray his father. Great action scene with Barrymore!

by Anonymousreply 5709/30/2013

Nightmare Alley is a hidden classic! You beat me to posting it!

by Anonymousreply 5809/30/2013

Shadows Over Shanghai (1938) James Dunn, Ralph Morgan, Richard Loo

Warm-hearted Irish-American reporter gets mixed up in intrigue in WW2 Shanghai. Very low budget from Republic pictures with some bizarre editing and performances that makes for a quirky, charming little gem.

by Anonymousreply 5909/30/2013

Funnily enough, Brad Pitt actually bought Fredric March's house in Hollywood and lived there for several years with Jennifer Aniston. Maybe he'a s fan?

by Anonymousreply 6009/30/2013

R40 "Slightly Dangerous" is a really cute little film.

R53, Robert Montgomery actually turned down the lead in "It Happened One Night" because he'd just made "Fugitive Lovers" and didn't want to do another 'bus picture'!

by Anonymousreply 6109/30/2013

R13, R14. That was it. Thanks for remembering this. Great movie.

by Anonymousreply 6209/30/2013

Cry Wolf (1947) with Errol Flynn and Barbara Stanwyck. Flynn plays TOTALLY against type as a "gentleman of the manor" and Stanwyck is his love interest. A gothic noir type of movie, surprisingly good and out of the ordinary for both stars.

by Anonymousreply 6309/30/2013

I second R55's choice of Easy Living and suggest another Preston Sturges-written comedy, The Good Fairy (1935). William Wyler directs. The hijinks move steadily, not at Sturges' hurly-burly pace; I love Sturges, but he can knock you out. The top-notch cast: Margaret Sullavan, Herbert Marshall, Frank Morgan, and Reginald Owen, who later played Admiral Boom in Mary Poppins.

by Anonymousreply 6409/30/2013

Boy Meets Girl

2 Hollywood hacks, Cagney and 0'Brien. Rat-a-tat dialogue, hilarious send-ups of movie stars and studios. Love this film.

by Anonymousreply 6509/30/2013

"Street Scene"- 1931 and starred Sylvia Sidney. It is an episodic movie about life outside a tenement house during a heat wave. She is terrific in it and should have won an Oscar for it. The acting style of all the actors is so not what you'd expect from an early 30s movie. Its very naturalistic.

by Anonymousreply 6609/30/2013

Anyone who likes Edward G. Robinson might appreciate a change of pace for him, and check out "Brother Orchid." He's still our Eddie, but with a delightful twist. Charming little film with Ann Sothern. And what oh what is that Beulah Bondi film where she and her husband grow old together, and gradually become destitute? It's a three hanky.

by Anonymousreply 6709/30/2013

Renewed interest in Ida Lupino after all these recommendations. I must check and see if she has a boxed set!

As a wee kid I loved watching her and her yummy hubby Howard Duff in endless reruns of their short-lived TV sitcom Mr. Adams and Eve, in which they played married Hollywood movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 6809/30/2013

The Boogie Man Will Get You (1942) draws a LOT on Arsenic and Old Lace, but funny in it's own right.

by Anonymousreply 6909/30/2013

R67, the Beulah Bondi film is MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW, which is on Criterion.

THE UNINVITED comes out from Criterion next month; I pre-ordered it from Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 7009/30/2013

Check out Ida Lupino in a forgotten noir called Jennifer (1953). She gets a job as the caretaker at a creepy estate. I think Netflix has it! SO worth a watch.

by Anonymousreply 7109/30/2013

R67 "Make Way for Tomorrow" is very much a favorite of Robert Osborne at TCM.

by Anonymousreply 7209/30/2013

"Siren of Atlantis" with Maria Montez is wonderfully campy. It's available on dvd.

by Anonymousreply 7310/01/2013

Loss of Innocence (also called Greengage Summer) is a beautiful film with Susannah York and Kenneth Moore, about a young girl who has a crush on a wanted criminal. Lovely film.

by Anonymousreply 7410/02/2013

Not quite what this thread is about, but a low budget horror movie that isn't that well known is RETURN OF DRACULA. Francis Lederer is a very menacing Count. Not like the sparkly/tortured vamps of modern movies.

by Anonymousreply 7510/03/2013

Any more?

by Anonymousreply 7610/23/2013

"Never Give a Sucker an Even Break" (1941), starring W.C. Fields, Gloria Jean and Anne Nagel. Most of the usual Fields regulars are here.

Gloria Jean was my favorite child actress by far, but her career never took off. Anne Nagel had a tragic life, which began with so much promise.

Plotless, Dada-ish comedy. Like "Hellzapoppin'" released later that same year, it's best not to try to see any deep meaning, but simply watch and enjoy the spectacle.

by Anonymousreply 7710/23/2013

So many great movies listed here....I'll add Robert Donat in "The Count of Monte Cristo (1934)." Definitely my favorite version of this classic.

by Anonymousreply 7810/23/2013

The Mortal Storm (1940) is an excellent daring MGM drama about the rise of Nazism in Germany that seems to be forgotten.

Starring James Stewart, Margaret Sullivan, Robert Young, Robert Stack, and Maria Ouspenskaya!

"Non Aryan" (used instead of Jewish) professor Frank Morgan is fired from the university and then ends up in a concentration camp where he dies.

It preceded The Holocaust and depicted where things were going.

by Anonymousreply 7910/23/2013

LADIES IN RETIREMENT is another must-see film for Ida Lupino fans. She plays a lady's companion who commits murder to provide for her daffy older sisters. Louis Hayward, Ida Lupino's handsome husband in real life, plays her ne'er-do-well nephew here.

HEAT LIGHTNING - larceny and lust set in a gas station/auto camp in the Mojave Desert. One of the last Pre-Code films, and far more sexually charged than most films of its era.

by Anonymousreply 8010/23/2013

THE SILVER CORD -- The film adaptation of the Sidney Howard play with Laura Hope Crews, Irene Dunne, Joel McCrea, Frances Dee and Eric Linden

ACE IN THE WHOLE -- Billy Wilder directs Kirk Douglas

STAGE DOOR -- Okay, I am not a fan of Kate Hepburn or Ginger Rogers, but Lucille Ball, Eve Arden, Ann Miller and Andrea Leeds make up for them

MR. SKEFFINGTON -- High class soap opera when Bette Davis marries Claude Rains to keep her brother out of jail

by Anonymousreply 8110/23/2013

May I just say that this thread ROCKS and is totally reminiscent of the first days I came to DL many years ago. There were glorious threads about old Hollywood and wonderful suggestions for old movies, songs, tv shows, star gossip and people who KNEW their stuff. Bless you all for this.

This great thread beats the hell out of the threads with awful, ageist and rude posters dropping insults about "old and out of touch people on DL."

by Anonymousreply 8210/23/2013

It's a Great Feeling (1949) -- one of the all-time great meta-cinema films: Doris Day plays a waitress/aspiring singer-actress at the Warner Bros. commissary who gets her big break when stars Dennis Morgan and Jack Carson (playing themselves) agree to help her. Laugh out loud hilarious, with plenty of Hollywood in-jokes and cameos (again, as themselves, in character) from David Butler, Gary Cooper, Joan Crawford, Michael Curtiz, Sydney Greenstreet, Danny Kaye, Patricia Neal, Eleanor Parker, Ronald Reagan, Edward G. Robinson, King Vidor, Raoul Walsh and Jane Wyman.

by Anonymousreply 8310/23/2013

SO PROUDLY WE HAIL and CRY 'HAVOC' -- Both films are about nurses in the early days of World War II

THE SULLIVANS -- World War II tearjerker about the family that lost five sons in the war

BTW I, there was a television version of ABANDON SHIP with Martin Sheen and Diane Baker (among others)

BTW II, I also recommend THE HARD WAY and LADIES IN RETIREMENT, two complete different performances by Ida Lupino

by Anonymousreply 8410/23/2013

"Peter Ibbetson" (1935) stars Gary Cooper and Ann Harding. They were childhood sweethearts who meet up years later, fall in love (but she's already married). Without giving the plot away, I'll say that they find an unusual way to be together.

The photography is excellent (and Gary is so beautiful). I remember staying home sick and finding it on AMC (before it went contemporary). I had a high fever and watched it at least 3 times that day and the next.

by Anonymousreply 8510/23/2013

Great thread!!!

Thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 8610/23/2013

Oh, Christ, how I LOVE Hold Back the Dawn, A Foreign Affair and So Proudly We Hail!

by Anonymousreply 8710/23/2013

OLD ACQUAINTANCE -- Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins, enough said. Remade as RICH AND FAMOUS with Jacqueline Bisset and Candice Bergen

by Anonymousreply 8810/23/2013

I think Rich and Famous is fabulous, too! Jacqueline Bisset was never more beautiful and gives a terrific performance as an emotionally blocked intellectual. Her speeches about literature being the provenance of Jews and homosexuals and her remininscence of her first disastrous love affair are beautifully written and played. And the men are exquisite! An unappreciated gem!

Here's some older, obscure titles I love (though I know they're not Golden Age):

Another Part of the Forest--the prequel to The Little Foxes

Broken Lance--King Lear as a western

The Four Poster--Rex Harrison and Lili Palmer in the basis for the musical, I Do! I Do!

Freud--Montgomery Clift and Susannah York reenacting one of the doctor's famous cases--directed by John Huston, as is...

The Red Badge Of Courage--a very fine adaptation of the classic Crane novel

The Sound and the Fury---Yul Brynner and Margaret Leighton in bowdlerzied Yoknapatawpha country, but still fun. Speaking of Margaret Leighton...

The Go-Between--a shattering story of innocence betrayed

Billy Budd--Peter Ustinov directing a beautiful Terence Stamp in the Melville classic

Far From The Madding Crowd--Stamp again in this adaptation of the Hardy novel

Barabbas--Anthony Quinn as the thief of Biblical legend---oh, that eclipse! That score!

by Anonymousreply 8910/24/2013

The Doughgirls 1944 - Zany and I do mean zany comedy from Warners stars Ann Sheridan,Alexis Smith, Jane Wyman, and Eve Arden as the female leads with Jack Carson, Alan Mowbray, and Charles Ruggles.

Most of the action takes place in a DC hotel room (the story was originally a Broadway play) with most of the cast having to share the room due to the lack of room availability in the capitol during wartime. These IMDB reviews do a better job explaining the movie.

by Anonymousreply 9010/24/2013

R82 Your post tells me I achieved my purpose in starting this thread. Thanks to everyone for all these great films!

R89 et. al., please do stick to the Golden Age. Code-era studio productions. Thank you!!

by Anonymousreply 9110/24/2013

Two of my favorites that aren't well known are Quality Street starring Katharine Hepburn, Fay Bainter, and Franchot Tone, and Vacation From Marriage starring Deborah Kerr and Robert Donat.

TCM shows the former occasionally but they rarely show the latter, which is about an English frumpy shy married couple who join the service during WWII and become much more attractive and confident. They are separated for years and assume the other one hasn't changed until they finally see each other again. (I know it sounds reminiscent of another movie I like, The Enchanted Cottage, but it's really different).

by Anonymousreply 9210/24/2013

Y'all are so smart, I am just taking notes. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 9310/25/2013

I love these threads, it's the main reason I come here.

by Anonymousreply 9410/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 9511/01/2013

THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER with James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan, later remade as the MGM musical In the Good Old Summertime and the Broadway musical She Loves Me.

BENEATH THE 12 MILE REEF with Terry Moore and the incredibly young and hunky Robert Wagner and the incredibly old and hunky Gilbert Roland as Greek-American sponge divers.

JESSE JAMES, you haven't lived until you've seen young Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda in Technicolor!

STAR SPANGLED RHYTHYM with Betty Hutton and a roster of Paramount's biggest stars playing themselves in musical skits raising the morale of WWII America.

ON MOONLIGHT BAY and its sequel BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY MOON, two Warners B-musicals starring Doris Day and Gordon MacRae in pre- and post-WWI Smalltown America.

WHITE WITCH DOCTOR with Susan Hayward as the eponymous heroine and Robert Mitchum as her trusty and sexy African safari guide. Schlocky fun but watch out for that tarantula in your cot!

NO DOWN PAYMENT, the 1950s forerunner to Knot's Landing about young couples living in a suburban Garden of Eden hothouse with Joanne Woodward, Ralph Meeker, Barbara Rush and Tony Randall.

by Anonymousreply 9611/01/2013

It's fairly famous, but I hadn't seen it until last winter, Charles Laughton in "Ruggles of Red Gap".

Laughton is freaking amazing in a comic performance you just can't beat. It's a satire of rich, ugly Americans, but there's not too much bite, and the love interest is Zasu Pitts! It's one of the best and least known "Screwball Comedies"of that era. Directed by the brilliant Leo McCary, it makes you wonder why everybody seems to prefer Howard Hawk's overrated "Bringing Up Baby"?!

by Anonymousreply 9711/01/2013

I agree 94

by Anonymousreply 9811/02/2013

"The More the Merrier," with Charles Coburn, Jean Arthur, and Joel Mccrea.

The movie is perhaps a little too famous (?) for this thread, but younger film fans may not have seen it. It's charming and romantic and all that good stuff.

"The Actress" with Jean Simmons. Early life of Ruth Gordon (!)

"Torrid Zone" with Cagney and Ann Sheridan. Tough talk and sexual banter in the 40s Warners style.

by Anonymousreply 9911/02/2013

R81, I really love Stage Door but it's not particularly obscure or hidden. Ann Miller is 15/16 years old (claiming she was 18) and she's great as well: "You could add two and two and make something out of it" and "And then came the dawn!"

by Anonymousreply 10011/02/2013

Best forgotten sci fi movie: The Quatermass Experimen, British late 49s movie about a spaceshp returning to with one surviving astronaut who grows to become a giat before turning into a blob-like creature who is electrocuted in a ccathedral

by Anonymousreply 10111/02/2013

YES, R16, this Stanwyck gem is an annual ritual in my house during the holidays. I'm surprised this film has not gotten more attention. I like it a lot better than Stanwyck's "Christmas in Connecticut" or the overrated Capra film "It's a Wonderful Life".

by Anonymousreply 10211/02/2013

r96, do you know where I can view No Down Payment? I've looked on Netflix, Youtube (only a 4-minute section), and and none of them has the full-length movie.

by Anonymousreply 10311/02/2013

I haven't seen No Down Payment since I was a kid and it premiered on NBC's Saturday Night at the Movies in the early 1960s, which was the first prime time network show featuring vintage films (albeit just 10-15 years old, if that).

They seemed to own the 20th Century-Fox collection and I realize looking back at my list, many came from that group and were originally seen by me on that TV series.

Most of those films have been constantly shown but not No Down Payment for some reason. Nor White Witch Doctor!

by Anonymousreply 10411/02/2013

The Sisters with Bette Davis and Errol Flynn. Well-acted, interesting, but not very well known (especially since it has such well-known stars in it)

by Anonymousreply 10511/02/2013

Another Man's Poison with Bette Davis is lots of fun

by Anonymousreply 10611/02/2013

STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR, 1940 - Peter Lorre as a maniacal killer (TCM's Robert Obsbourne called this one of the earliest examples of film noir).

PHANTOM LADY, 1944 - A beautiful secretary risks her life to try to find the elusive woman who may prove her boss didn't murder his selfish wife. Another early film noir.

THE JOKER IS WILD, 1957 - Frank Sinatra playing old-time comedian Joe E. Lewis, also with Jean Crain - a pretty good little known drama.

STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET, 1960 - Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak have an intense affair - nice suburban 60's atmosphere. Barbara Rush and Walter Matthau also star in it.

PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN, 1951 - Ava Gardner and James Mason. A weirdly touching love story filmed in Spain and with Ava looking her most spectacular.

BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL, 1956 - Robert Wagner, Broderick Crawford, Buddy Ebsen. Wagner plays an arrogant, rich Southern plantation owner whose experiences in WWII changes his outlook.

by Anonymousreply 10711/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!