Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING BAD: Season 5, Episode 16: "Felina"

Walt faces capture and very possibly death if he returns to New Mexico, but seems to be hell bent on avenging Hank’s death and taking back the $70 million Todd and his family stole from him.

All bad things come to an end.

by Anonymousreply 41010/21/2013

Out for revenge..

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

Nicely done, OP!

I almost feel like there should be 2 more episodes - there seems to be so many loose ends to tie up for one episode. I trust VG though.

Who thinks Walt gets murdered? And by whom?

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2013

I think they all live.

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2013

I hope it's as good as we all hope! Lots of pressure for this episode to be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

I almost don't want to watch this because it will be the last episode and I don't want the show to end..

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

Oh, I didn't know Hank was dead already but I'm glad, I never liked Hank.

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

So excited! Probably a bit more than I should be. I don't usually get so invested in TV shows, but this one really grabbed me.

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

Has anyone been watching the marathon?

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

If the finale is watched by an extraordinary amount of people, will it break into the Nielsen top 10 like a “regular” broadcast network show?

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

r6 yeah that's a good reason to want someone dead.

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

LOL, OP. Great pic!

by Anonymousreply 1109/29/2013

Now taking bets on how many of these threads we will have.

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

WTF, does Aaron Paul have hair plugs?

by Anonymousreply 1309/29/2013

I feel sick to my stomach. I've never been this invested in a tv show and I doubt I ever will be again.

by Anonymousreply 1409/29/2013

I truly do wonder if Walt lives or dies. I aprt of me wants to see hime get away with it and disappear. Any chance of a slight cliffhanger to bring back a movie later on?

by Anonymousreply 1509/29/2013

This is the best thread, not only because it has the most replies, but because OP posted a great picture :)

by Anonymousreply 1609/29/2013

Do you think anyone at all will get a happily ever after?

by Anonymousreply 1709/29/2013

[quote]I feel sick to my stomach. I've never been this invested in a tv show and I doubt I ever will be again.

Oh, honey, don't worry. You'll learn to love a television show again! I promise.

by Anonymousreply 1809/29/2013

This could have been a much better show:

by Anonymousreply 1909/29/2013

I have been catching some of the marathon. It's interesting, back in season 2 or 3, Tio Salamanca did NOT rat out Jesse to the DEA. I don't think he will be allowed to live. It's going to be gruesome!!

by Anonymousreply 2009/29/2013

The funniest thing about reading tweets about BB are the people in places like the UK whining about how Americans will ruin it for them on Twitter.

Here's an idea: STAY OFF TWITTER FOR A FEW FUCKING HOURS.

by Anonymousreply 2109/29/2013

[quote]Do you think anyone at all will get a happily ever after?

I think Todd will be the last man standing, and he'll walk away with the money, the meth lab, the knowledge to be the new Gustavo Fring of the drug world.

I also think Walt's son becomes an addict just to bring it full circle as far as ruining the family Walt was trying to protect.

(No inside info whatsoever, just my guesses)

by Anonymousreply 2209/29/2013

here's my post from the other thread; I hate ending up on the wrong team...

At this point, I'm just relieved that this dark, downward story will finally end. I don't know that I could take much more. That said, here are my predictions (but then I'm always wrong):

- Jesse kills Todd & the nazi bunch; somehow he ends up with at least a portion of the money & goes on to some other life (based on VG's "woodworking" hint)outside of ABQ and is presumed dead. I hope the nazis death is adequately gory. I think viewers would have a fit it there wasn't a sufficient punishment for psycho Todd

- Walt dies, but not before confronting & killing Elliot & Gretchen. They're both very smug, so no one will be sorry to see them go.

- Skyler goes to prison for a couple of years but on a reduced sentence; Marie has the kids & visits her

- The whole story comes out (mostly thanks to Walt) and Hank is lauded is a hero for bringing down Heisenberg. Walt gives him the victory in death he never had in life.

- Walt makes sure a large amount of money goes to Brock

- Not sure about Lydia; I don't know that I even care that much

In summary, I think Walt will settle some scores (nazis, G&E), but will also try to do right by the family members and other people he's screwed over.

But then what do I know?

by Anonymousreply 2309/29/2013

They'll flash forward six years to Holly selling Meth out of her Elmo lunchbox.

by Anonymousreply 2409/29/2013

Felina?

Cats?

by Anonymousreply 2509/29/2013

R25, no cats.

FeLiNa= Meth, no? Plus it's an anagram for finale.

by Anonymousreply 2609/29/2013

Felina is from that song about being shot by cowboys in El Paso at Rosa's Cantina.

by Anonymousreply 2709/29/2013

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso

I fell in love with a Mexican girl.

Night-time would find me in Rosa's Cantina;

Music would play and Felina would whirl

Blacker than night were the eyes of Felina

Wicked and evil while casting a spell.

My love was deep for this Mexican maiden;

I was in love but in vain, I could tell.

One night a wild young cowboy came in,

Wild as the West Texas wind.

Dashing and daring,

A drink he was sharing

With wicked

The girl that I loved.

So in anger I

Challenged his right for the love of this maiden.

Down went his hand for the gun that he wore.

My challenge was answered in less than a heart-beat;

The handsome young stranger lay dead on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 2809/29/2013

Just for a moment I stood there in silence,

Shocked by the foul evil deed I had done.

Many thoughts raced through my mind as I stood there;

I had but one chance and that was to run

Out through the back door of Rosa's I ran,

Out where the horses were tied.

I caught a good one.

It looked like it could run.

Up on its back

And away I did ride,

Just as fast as I

Could from the West Texas town of El Paso

Out to the bad-lands of New Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 2909/29/2013

No, R9, because cable and broadcast ratings are still separated for some reason. You never hear of the idea of a "top 10" cable show, but it's used for broadcast shows all the time.

Last week it would have ranked 5th on TV if everything were combined. The Walking Dead was the number two series on TV last season, right behind Sunday Night Football.

by Anonymousreply 3009/29/2013

Back in El Paso my life would be worthless.

Everything's gone in life; nothing is left.

It's been so long since I've seen the young maiden

My love is stronger than my fear of death.

I saddled up and away I did go,

Riding alone in the dark.

Maybe tomorrow

A bullet may find me.

Tonight nothing's worse than this

Pain in my heart.

And at last here I

Am on the hill overlooking El Paso;

I can see Rosa's Cantina below.

My love is strong and it pushes me onward.

Down off the hill to Felina I go.

by Anonymousreply 3109/29/2013

Off to my right I see five mounted cowboys;

Off to my left ride a dozen or more.

Shouting and shooting I can't let them catch me.

I have to make it to Rosa's back door.

Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel

A deep burning pain in my side.

Though I am trying

To stay in the saddle,

I'm getting weary,

But my love for

Felina is strong and I rise where I've fallen,

Though I am weary I can't stop to rest.

I see the white puff of smoke from the rifle.

I feel the bullet go deep in my chest.

Unable to ride.

From out of nowhere Felina has found me,

Kissing my cheek as she kneels by my side.

Cradled by two loving arms that I'll die for,

One little kiss and Felina, good-bye.

by Anonymousreply 3209/29/2013

Not watching tonight, I can't take the emotions inside of me.

by Anonymousreply 3309/29/2013

^MARY!

by Anonymousreply 3409/29/2013

Someone said Felina was Tony Montana's mother's name.

by Anonymousreply 3509/29/2013

I think Walter dies but in the final scene, another mild mannered man takes the first step towards evil, maybe taking the place that WW left.

by Anonymousreply 3609/29/2013

I can live with R23's prediction.

It's so sad watching Walt drag his little money barrel around. It's all he has left.

by Anonymousreply 3709/29/2013

Well, I think everyone knew Walt and Jessie would die. I wondered about Skyler. Of course Todd and his Uncle should die and so should Lydia, in fact I wish she would die first.

by Anonymousreply 3809/29/2013

My predictioms:

Jesse will kill both Todd and himself in a meth lab explosion. It will be big enough to bring attention to the compound.

Walt is going to use the drug rehab foundation started by Elliot and Gretchen to launder his money back to his family. Or at least he is going to try to make this happen with a bunch of threats and guilt tripping. It most likely wont work.

Wal Jr.will become more and more hateful towards his mother as he accepts the role she played in the whole affair. He will choose Marie over Skylar. The baby girl will live with them, too.

by Anonymousreply 3909/29/2013

WTF? Did he get into a time machine? Where does he find this vintage gas station and phone booth from 1960?

by Anonymousreply 4009/29/2013

No way this gets wrapped up properly in an hour fifteen, not counting commercials.

by Anonymousreply 4109/29/2013

So there's no reason to see Tom Hanks new movie. We know how it ends, since it is a real life story, and we just saw all the action parts.

by Anonymousreply 4209/29/2013

I'm glad he scared Elliott & his bitch wife

by Anonymousreply 4309/29/2013

Walt walking into that house while they were talking in the kitchen and checking out their pictures until she finally noticed him, was one of the creepiest things I have seen. It had me checking the bedroom out just in case someone quietly slipped in during the day.

by Anonymousreply 4409/29/2013

is ricin in her Stevia?

by Anonymousreply 4509/29/2013

I was hoping we'd see Badger and Skinny Pete one last time. As soon as two figures emerged from the bushes, I knew it Boyd be them.

by Anonymousreply 4609/29/2013

The camera paid alot of attention to that stevia.

by Anonymousreply 4709/29/2013

r45, she's a "creature of habit". So long Lydia.

by Anonymousreply 4809/29/2013

You bet your ass R45.

Lydia will die a very painful death.

by Anonymousreply 4909/29/2013

SHUT UP MARIE

by Anonymousreply 5009/29/2013

No! I am NOT watching that shitfest "low winter sun" AMC!

by Anonymousreply 5109/29/2013

I have a feeling Walt is going to kill himself along with the Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 5209/29/2013

[quote]I was hoping we'd see Badger and Skinny Pete one last time.

If it ends with everyone dead and those two wander by and wind up with the money, it would be A-OK in my book.

by Anonymousreply 5309/29/2013

A

W

E

S

O

M

E

B

I

T

C

H

E

S

by Anonymousreply 5409/29/2013

Great finale! Loved it!

by Anonymousreply 5509/29/2013

Yes, it was great. Nothing like Dexter.

Thank goodness!

by Anonymousreply 5609/29/2013

The people behind Lost, The Sopranos & Dexter could learn a thing or two about finales from Vince Gilligan.

by Anonymousreply 5709/29/2013

Little Jesse, happy at last.

by Anonymousreply 5809/29/2013

Dexter, I'll definitely give you. Maybe Lost. Not The Sopranos.

by Anonymousreply 5909/29/2013

Very good. Very, very good.

by Anonymousreply 6009/29/2013

I thought the Sopranos ended OK because you could be pretty positive that Tony, Carmella and the son were killed...which was only right, IMO.

Apparently a bunch of 5th grade romantics ended Dexter.

by Anonymousreply 6109/29/2013

So the wife and kid end up getting the money?

by Anonymousreply 6209/29/2013

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 6309/29/2013

I can't stop crying...OMG!!!

by Anonymousreply 6409/29/2013

Who sings the last song they played?

by Anonymousreply 6509/29/2013

r62 - his son will get the money when he turns 18, he won't know it came from Walt

by Anonymousreply 6609/29/2013

Badfinger - "Baby Blue"

by Anonymousreply 6709/29/2013

I saw the Stevia coming a mile away.

I couldn't figure out what he was doing with the machine gun at first, until the trunk popped up.

Great ending.

by Anonymousreply 6809/29/2013

I need to be calmed down, I'm so sad now.

by Anonymousreply 6909/29/2013

That was great. I don't feel in the least bit gypped like I did last week with Dexter.

If only Vince Gilligan had written the finale of the X Files (which sucked, imo)...

by Anonymousreply 7009/29/2013

Well, that was a pandering fantasy of a finale, but enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 7109/29/2013

Having tuned in to BB during the recent marathons, I must say, it did suck me in and I became beyond interested. Although I would have wanted Walt to live, reunite with his family, and start over with Jesse, the ending was perfect.

gotta disagree with Gilligan that The Sopranos was a good ending.

by Anonymousreply 7209/29/2013

Jesse strangling Todd to death was one of the most satisfying, cathartic scenes in television history. I never cheered so hard!

by Anonymousreply 7309/29/2013

Great ending.

Thought it was very interesting how the Nazis STILL live in a shitty junkyard prison-like structure when ... THEY HAVE $90M.

Is it a comment on how scumbags will always be scumbags? or how money compared to family is worthless.

by Anonymousreply 7409/29/2013

I wish we could have seen more of Walt Jr. but I guess it was fitting that Walt and thus the audiences last view of his son was from afar. Very heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 7509/29/2013

a bit confused, what happened to the 90M the Nazis had? did Walt find it? I ask cuz I know Walt had 90M he gave Gretchen to give to Walt Jr. was that the Nazi money? how did Walt get it?

I missed a few eps as one can tell.

by Anonymousreply 7609/29/2013

Why did Walt want Jesse to shoot him.

And I don't understand how Bryan Cranston and the guy who plays Jesse can be such actors. Where did they find them? The look Walt gives Jesse as he drives away - like a father? Heartbreaking.

But the only think Walk truly got pleasure from was his meth lab.

by Anonymousreply 7709/29/2013

Skinny Pete and Badger, big bad hit men with laser pointers.

by Anonymousreply 7809/29/2013

Really r57?? That was fun, but The Sopranos was far better crafted. (And I wasn't even the hugest fan of that series.) This was just a big popcorn, audience-pleasing deal.

r61 - Why do you think the whole family was hit? The shooter would just take out Tony and get out quickly, not pause to shoot Carmela and AJ.

by Anonymousreply 7909/29/2013

R76, he gave them 9 million +

by Anonymousreply 8009/29/2013

Loved it! Somehow, made up for LOST.

Perhaps because it is the first episodic teledrama I have watched since.

by Anonymousreply 8109/29/2013

R76

Walt gave them 9 million and change, not 90.

by Anonymousreply 8209/29/2013

r76 - It was 9 mill from the barrel the nazis let him keep.

r77 - He didn't want Jesse to shoot him. He was giving Jesse the opportunity to shoot him if he wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 8309/29/2013

Perfect ending. Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 8409/29/2013

[quote]Why did Walt want Jesse to shoot him.

I think Walt didn't have the courage to do it himself so he wanted to manipulate Jessie into doing one more murderous act for him. Luckily Jessie finally woke up to his tricks and said no when it counted the most.

by Anonymousreply 8509/29/2013

I love how the show takes all the little touches into account. Given that the son's car was bought with Walt's drug money, I guess the Feds impounded it which was why he rode the bus home from school. It's little things like that that make the show exceptional.

by Anonymousreply 8609/29/2013

Every time I hear the cast refer to the directors "attention to detail", all I can think of is when Saul picked up his suitcases. Did no one think to actually put something in them so that they'd actually look like they were packed suitcases?

by Anonymousreply 8709/29/2013

It really was pretty much perfect. We'd surmised a lot of where it was going but somehow Gilligan made that satisfying. I suppose he could have swerved off in an insane direction but he knew well enough to hit the marks. It wasn't the most shocking episode ever but at this point I didn't need to be shocked, I just needed closure, and it really delivered. I maybe wish he'd beat the drum of Lydia's stevia a little less over the past couple weeks, so that wouldn't have been telegraphed so hard.

by Anonymousreply 8809/29/2013

I haven't liked a show ending that much since Six Feet Under. One thing I loved, but that nobody else I've seen comment on yet, is that Skylar called Walt on the "he did it all for his family" lie and he *finally* admitted that he did it all for himself. I didn't expect that much self reflection and honesty from him.

by Anonymousreply 8909/29/2013

I know I'm simple, but it would have pleased me to see Jesse settled in a productive life somewhere far away. In fact, they could have shot the Deter as lumberjack scene with Jesse and I would have been happy.

Now I'm left to mentally picture Jesse doing something really stupid, probably with Skinny Pete and Badger, first chance he gets.

by Anonymousreply 9009/29/2013

r89, I agree. In a weird way him finally admitting that was the most satisfying "closure piece" of the finale.

by Anonymousreply 9109/29/2013

r85 - Walt didn't need Jesse to kill him. He was already dying from a bullet wound. (And from cancer. Remember?) He was willing to allow Jesse to kill him like he'd killed Todd, for revenge/closure/whatever. Jesse chose to walk away. They shared a look of understanding.

by Anonymousreply 9209/29/2013

"that Skylar called Walt on the "he did it all for his family" lie and he *finally* admitted that he did it all for himself. I didn't expect that much self reflection and honesty from him"

I appreciated his honesty also but believe he didn't start the whole thing for himself. I believe he started the meth trade, which snowballed out of control, to secure his family after he died of cancer. I wish that was addressed instead of Walt being a TOTAL devil. He, like many bad men, did have some love for something.

I also hoped he could have had his goodbye with Walt Jr. the boy will never be right after he learns his father died.

Thanks to everyone who got me straight on the 9/90 million dollar bit.

by Anonymousreply 9309/29/2013

R87 -- that bugged me, too.

by Anonymousreply 9409/29/2013

This was everything The Sopranos finale should have been. End of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 9509/29/2013

[quote] I saw the Stevia coming a mile away

Wow. You must be a genius. Nobody else saw that, I am sure.

by Anonymousreply 9609/29/2013

I hope Huell has dropped some weight in that hotel room by now.

by Anonymousreply 9709/29/2013

I do wish the stevia/ricin poisoning could have been more of a "oh fuck!!!" moment too. But at the end of the day I was just glad that Lydia finally got hers.

Call me twisted but I was looking forward to Walt unleashing carnage on Gretchen and Elliot. They got off way to easy, IMO.

I really hope Skyler and Junior can find some sense of closure for themselves. Something tells me they'll forever be scarred, regardless of the $9 million.

by Anonymousreply 9809/29/2013

Poor Huell!!!

by Anonymousreply 9909/29/2013

It would help if Skyler and Jr. could believe that Walt really did try to save Hank.

I guess he was just tired of trying to plead his case.

by Anonymousreply 10009/29/2013

I think Skyler believed him when he said it. Walt Jr. does even know and probably would never know.

by Anonymousreply 10109/29/2013

I think Walt Jr was the only morally pure character on the show. Even Marie got some dirt on her with her klepto breakdown in season 3.

by Anonymousreply 10209/29/2013

Marie and Hank were like real people, people we all know. Nothing extremely moral about them but they put up a nice front.

by Anonymousreply 10309/29/2013

93, I agree that he didn't start it that way, but it was only a few episodes later that he turned it into being all about him. Things went bad very early and he refused to see it couldn't have been all about his family at that point. It's been 4 1/2 seasons of him pimping that lie and I'm glad his epiphany was in the finale.

by Anonymousreply 10409/30/2013

How do you come down after living that kind of life? When you get used to this constant tension and excitement, how do you go back to just a normal life?

by Anonymousreply 10609/30/2013

Did I miss something? I don't think it was clear that Walt dies.

Did 2 actresses play Grethcen?

by Anonymousreply 10709/30/2013

Yes, he dies.

No, one actress.

by Anonymousreply 10809/30/2013

The scene with Skyler was perfect. Killing Lydia was perfect. Dealing with the nazis and Todd, perfect.

I was the tiniest bit dissapointed with the final moments between Jesse and him and his death. But, c'est la vie. It was all a little too wrapped up, but that's how Gilligan plots and I'm okay with that.

by Anonymousreply 10909/30/2013

R107, if you did not catch the part where Walt clearly dies, then yes, you missed something.

by Anonymousreply 11009/30/2013

Gretchen was played by Ross's lesbian ex-wife on Friends.

by Anonymousreply 11109/30/2013

No, I think she was the ex-wife's partner, not his ex-wife herself.

by Anonymousreply 11209/30/2013

I loved the "assassins" scene.

by Anonymousreply 11309/30/2013

How on earth did Walt get in and out of Skyler's apartment without being seen?

by Anonymousreply 11409/30/2013

Gretchen is Jessica Hecht, a frequent Broadway actress.

by Anonymousreply 11509/30/2013

That was perfect!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 11609/30/2013

The cops were just looking at the front door and they were probably still expecting Walt to be bald.

by Anonymousreply 11709/30/2013

[quote]I saw the Stevia coming a mile away

No, sweetheart, a "mile away" would mean you predicted it BEFORE the scene ever happened, not *during* the actual scene.

by Anonymousreply 11809/30/2013

Same here, r73!

by Anonymousreply 11909/30/2013

[quote]The cops were just looking at the front door and they were probably still expecting Walt to be bald.

But the neighbor saw him and undoubtedly described how he looked.

by Anonymousreply 12009/30/2013

r114 - It was a pure fantasy ending. Walt became Magical Cancer Man. Lots of cheers, not lots of thinking.

by Anonymousreply 12109/30/2013

Did Frankie Muniz make a guest appearance?

by Anonymousreply 12209/30/2013

Kind of shocked that they went for a happy ending...as happy as it gets in the BB universe, at least.

Walt's moment of clarity with Skyler was great. That time in the cabin gave him some room to think.

by Anonymousreply 12309/30/2013

[quote]I saw the Stevia coming a mile away.

Exactly, which was one of my problems with this episode. For six years BB has taken great pride in rewarding the attentive viewer with obscure references from years back. And what did we get tonight? Plot points so BRAZENLY obvious that it felt like we were being hit over the head with them.

It would have sufficed to simply shot Lydia picking up the stevia packet; I knew immediately (as I'm sure most of you guys did, too) that the ricin was in there. Did we really need a close-up of her pouring it into her coffee, and then ANOTHER scene where she improbably calls Todd less than a minute after Jesse's strangled him, allowing the audience to have absolute certainty that she's been poisoned? (Btw I should probably blame YOU bitches for this bullshit. I still remember how many of you remained convinced Adriana on "The Sopranos" was still alive because we never saw her get shot on camera!)

Ditto the car key fob. A single shot would've established what any reasonably attentive viewers would've already guessed, that Walt had some sort of Rube Goldberg contraption involving the machine gun in his trunk, but needed the trunk release fob to start it. Did we really need A DOZEN shots of it? It almost seems like VG was hitting us over the head with plot points solely for the non-regular viewer who tuned in tonight to see what the hype was all about.

It didn't end how I was expecting -- although I was correct that Gretchen and Elliott were involved, and also correct that they wouldn't die; didn't see the money angle coming though -- but I'm glad Jesse, at the very least, experienced catharsis. He murdered the sociopath who had tortured him for the better part of a year (and who shot Andrea in the back), and at long last was FREE FROM IT ALL: from the Nazis, from Todd, from mortally wounded Walt, and from his horrific life in Albuquerque. (And remember he's presumed to be dead. They never stated it, but I would assume his family had been informed that he was helping Hank and Gomie and disappeared in the desert the same time they did; Marie would have known all of this.) His joy at fleeing the meth compound in that El Camino was one of the few joyful parts of an immensely sorrowful episode.

"How on earth did Walt get in and out of Skyler's apartment without being seen?"

I think we established when Todd et al broke into the White household that it's not exactly difficult to sneak past the Albuquerque PD.

As for the remainder of money ... well, it's gone. Walt could've kept Uncle Jack alive to find out where it was, but instead he just shot him in the face. This shows that Walt had come full circle; the money, for the first time, no longer mattered, at least since he had Elliott & Gretchen there to put $9 million in a trust for Walt Jr. Walt couldn't do anything with it, given that he'd been shot and had minutes to live (and if he hadn't been shot, probably only a few months before dying of cancer). We already know Jesse couldn't live with that kind of blood money, even more so now that the Nazis killed Andrea in cold blood.

By the end Walt knew that his "legacy" could only be secured by two discrete actions: 1) getting the money to Walt Jr. in a way that no one would expect was from him, and 2) bringing down the evil he himself had wrought, in particular with Hank's death, by setting up his trunk gadget to take care of all the Nazi. That ended the "bad" legacy, the remainder of his "meth empire," and left him with at least a tiny amount of redemption -- or at least much as a man like him could muster.

by Anonymousreply 12409/30/2013

r124, most of the ending was no surprise because of speculation I have read on message boards. But the average viewer who doesn't read all the stuff online probably was surprised.

by Anonymousreply 12509/30/2013

So R124, we could have a new show called "Finding 70 Million Aryan Brotherhood Dollars".

by Anonymousreply 12609/30/2013

R125, I'm sure if you went through every single thing any fanboy has written about the finale, you'd find at least one who managed to get everything just right. It was plainly obvious that, at the VERY least, the Nazis (and probably Lydia) had to die. It was also obvious that Walt would either be close to death, from cancer, or killed in this episode; turns out both were probably right.

The only other plausible death from that point was Jesse himself, and I personally didn't think he'd make it out alive (but am glad he did). Walt's death was perfect, surrounded by the "family" he built for himself -- the meth lab -- when he could have no further contact with his actual family.

by Anonymousreply 12709/30/2013

I liked the phone call from Lydia. Her face when Walt tells her about the ricin was priceless.

The bitch is going to spend her last hours freaking out. Good.

And I think the final line of the series is: Goodbye Lydia.

by Anonymousreply 12809/30/2013

[quote]I saw the Stevia coming a mile away

[quote]>> No, sweetheart, a "mile away" would mean you predicted it BEFORE the scene ever happened, not *during* the actual scene.

Excuse me, asshole, but loyal (and intelligent) viewers WERE able to predict Lydia's death by Stevia before the scene happened.

Just because you were too stupid to figure it out 8 episodes ago doesn't mean the rest of us are!

by Anonymousreply 12909/30/2013

R122, wtf are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 13009/30/2013

[quote]It almost seems like VG was hitting us over the head with plot points solely for the non-regular viewer who tuned in tonight to see what the hype was all about.

Unfortunately, he was.

Just think about how many fucking idiots post on the BB threads here on DL, and need everything explained to them.

If Vince hadn't made it so obvious, then millions of American retards would have flooded the internet with complaints about how confusing and unclear the finale was!

by Anonymousreply 13109/30/2013

I love the geeks that get upset with those that can't keep up with a TV show. Practicing my Jesse for the numerous Heisenbergs to show up on my doorstep come Halloween. The viewers have become a tribe, basically.

by Anonymousreply 13209/30/2013

I wish I could have seen alittle of Lydia's painful death or at least Walt describing it to her and telling her it was too late for911...

It makes me feel warm and fuzzy Todd was killed. I believe jesse's woodworking scene was a glimpse of his future...

I truly love Vince Gilligan....

by Anonymousreply 13309/30/2013

r131 - Yes, it was a completely lowest common denominator Hollywood ending. A bit of a cheap way to end a good series, but oh well.

by Anonymousreply 13409/30/2013

[quote]Hollywood ending.

It did contain a few clichés. Have to agree with you on that one. Somehow he also became MacGyver with his trunk contraption.

by Anonymousreply 13509/30/2013

Why did Walt kill Lydia? I know why it's satisfying from the viewers perspective, knowing about all the evil shit she's done and urged to be done since his departure... But what does Walt know of all of this? Her poisoning seems -- from his point of view -- unjustified.

by Anonymousreply 13609/30/2013

Walt had to kill them all. Lydia wax one of them....

by Anonymousreply 13709/30/2013

Does no one remember Lydia pleading with Mike for her life because of her daughter? That's how we met her. I guess the daughter wasn't really that important.

by Anonymousreply 13809/30/2013

How does one put ricin in a Stevia packet and seal it up convincingly?

by Anonymousreply 13909/30/2013

For those who wanted Gretchen and her hubby to die, I think having the threat of a hitman following them around for the rest of their lives was a pretty just punishment.

And by the way, their house was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 14009/30/2013

"Does no one remember Lydia pleading with Mike for her life because of her daughter?"

She didn't plead for her life. She told Mike to kill her and leave her for her daughter to find, so the daughter wouldn't think Lydia just abandoned her.

by Anonymousreply 14109/30/2013

[quote]Really [R57]?? That was fun, but The Sopranos was far better crafted. (And I wasn't even the hugest fan of that series.) This was just a big popcorn, audience-pleasing deal.

Agreed. I've really enjoyed BREAKING BAD, but I never got the fanaticism surrounding it. It's a terrific, ripping tale. Very juicy, very middle-brow, and I say that admiringly. But, for me, it never achieved the depth or profundity of THE SOPRANOS.

The BB finale was perfectly fitting, but it didn't come anywhere near the existential gut-punch of the SOPRANOS finale

by Anonymousreply 14209/30/2013

R136, he knows Lydia well enough to know she would want everyone dead just to cover her own ass, and that would include his family. Walt knows she wanted to kill every one of Mike's men, AND that she had all of Declan's men killed, too.

by Anonymousreply 14309/30/2013

How did Walt know that Lydia had anything to do with the murder of Declan and his crew from Todd's vague "heads up" phone call, r143?

by Anonymousreply 14409/30/2013

[quote]Kind of shocked that they went for a happy ending...as happy as it gets in the BB universe, at least.

Was it really a happy ending? Everyone is left completely fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 14509/30/2013

I don't watch the show, could someone give me the Reader's Digest version on the ending.

Walt lured everyone to a house and everyone got killed off at the end?

by Anonymousreply 14609/30/2013

[quote]I don't watch the show, could someone give me the Reader's Digest version on the ending.

Walt is shot, and as he lies dying, it fades momentarily to black. Then he suddenly bolts upright in bed, screaming, laying next to Jane Kaczmarek. Frankie Muniz and Justin Berfield run in when they hear the noise. Cue They Might Be Giants.

by Anonymousreply 14709/30/2013

[quote]I don't watch the show, could someone give me the Reader's Digest version on the ending. Walt lured everyone to a house and everyone got killed off at the end?

Walt rigged a machine gun in the trunk of the car he was driving and programmed the key fob to open the trunk and start spraying ammunition into the neo-Nazi gang's house where they'd taken him. Everyone was hit but Jesse, the other star of the show, who got away. Of course there was *so much more* going on, but if you've never watched, it wouldn't mean anything to you.

by Anonymousreply 14809/30/2013

How did Jesse get away. Was Lydia Walt's wife? Why did Walt kill Lydia?

So the only people got killed off where the Nazi drug lords, Walt and Lydia?

by Anonymousreply 14909/30/2013

Yes, R146. He promised them punch and pie.

by Anonymousreply 15009/30/2013

Lydia was someone with whom Walt was doing business.

by Anonymousreply 15109/30/2013

So how did Jesse get away?

by Anonymousreply 15209/30/2013

[quote]How did Jesse get away.

He sped away in a car.

[quote]Was Lydia Walt's wife? Why did Walt kill Lydia?

Lydia worked for the Houston office of the German multinational that owned the chain of chicken restaurants that served as the cover for the meth superlab Walt was involved with in the middle of the series. She used the multinational's logistics infrastructure to move Walt's meth to Europe. She also had access, through a chemical subsidiary, to the precursor chemicals the meth lab needed. Again, if you didn't watch the show it's impossible to explain fully.

by Anonymousreply 15309/30/2013

R142 Sopranos was as gripping a a low level soap opera! What an overrated show that was with a terrible finale. Nuances? Like Ralphie beating his pregnant girlfriend to death. Cartoony stereotypes like Uncle Junior. That show's fans didn't receive closure with that fade to black.

R145 Jesse is free.Jesse kills his arch nemesis Todd who killed his girl and fucked Jesse up over killing that kid on the bike. Walt exacts revenge by killing the loathsome Nazis who didn't play by his rules, stole his money and killed Hank.Walt gave Skyler help by giving her the location of Hank and Gomey's bodies and set up his son(and family) with 9 million dollars. he also got the Schwartzes to do his bidding and fuck with their heads a bit.Oh and he got rid of that tiresome little cunt Lydia who posed a threat to his wife. So from a Breaking Bad perspective it was a "happy ending" though it was a little bittersweet. Gilligan didn't let the real antagonists of the piece survive. Can you imagine if Lydia and Todd survived? The Nazis went on to own Jesse then get rid of him when they no longer needed him? It would have been considerably darker to let the "so-called bad guys" live on and have Walt and Jesse die.

Walt dying was no surprise. His cancer and its return was a sign that he would inevitably die. He died in a sort of blaze of glory while at the same time doing right by Jesse. even though Jesse had betrayed him Walt softened when he saw with his own eyes what that Nazi scum had done to him.Walt was there to kill all of them and had a change of heart and saved Jesse when he witnessed his plight firsthand. After everything that happened to Jesse, having him kill Todd and leaving that Nazi compound was quite the "happy ending" indeed.

by Anonymousreply 15409/30/2013

So what Jesse just walked out of the house moments before the killings started?

by Anonymousreply 15509/30/2013

R148 Todd as stupid as he was ducked for cover when the bullets started flying. He survived the onslaught BUT Jesse strangled him to death with the chain on his handcuffs. Todd's uncle was shot but survived(barely) and Walt shot him to death.

by Anonymousreply 15609/30/2013

[quote]So what Jesse just walked out of the house moments before the killings started

Just before he hit the button on the key fob to activate the machine gun, Walt pinned Jesse to the ground (under the guise of attacking him, it seemed to me), thereby protecting him from the gunfire. Walt was hit and died slowly from his wound after caressing the equipment in the meth lab, the only thing he really cared about.

by Anonymousreply 15709/30/2013

r149, I think you need to watch for yourself. You are obviously clueless or trying to play dumb

by Anonymousreply 15809/30/2013

Did Walt unchain Jesse just before he died?

How emotional was Jesse after Walt died?

by Anonymousreply 15909/30/2013

R159 knows Jesse was chained and is therefore full of shit. Ignore him.

by Anonymousreply 16009/30/2013

Troll.

by Anonymousreply 16109/30/2013

OK ok no more questions. I should watch the show, but I'm curious because of all the buzz the day after.

by Anonymousreply 16209/30/2013

LOL at 149. Trying to piece together enough at Datalounge to be able to participate at the water cooler.

Don't do it, gurl. It's too complex a show and trust me, bitches will know. You cannot fake it until you make it with Breaking Bad.

LOL

by Anonymousreply 16309/30/2013

Are we sure Jesse got away? I mean, I doubt that the Nazi's set up their meth lab compound in a part of the desert with a lot of roads approaching. And there were a shit load of cops driving into that compound. How could they miss him?

by Anonymousreply 16409/30/2013

I think the assumption is that Pinkman has gone through enough hell. Let the guy just get the fuck away, and as fast as possible. It's not like he'll ever be normal again.

by Anonymousreply 16509/30/2013

Jesse is kinda screwed, though. While he escaped meth servitude and almost certain eventual death, his money is gone, Saul is gone, he has no access to Robert Forster the vacuum repairman, and the Feds are still after him. No job skills and no lab equipment and the cops just got all the methylamine.

by Anonymousreply 16609/30/2013

I wonder if the woodworking sequence was Jesse's reverie of what he'd rather be doing or a glimpse into his future.

by Anonymousreply 16709/30/2013

In the end, Walt got exactly what he wanted when he started the whole thing - financial security for his family after he died.

It was a phenomenal show from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 16809/30/2013

Someone go get him, please.

by Anonymousreply 16909/30/2013

I was wondering whose house that was r140. There are a lot of amazing houses in Santa Fe and the area near the opera. I thought maybe Tom Ford's but wasn't sure.

by Anonymousreply 17009/30/2013

I would agree with that r142. While great, it was very by the numbers, which while satisfying, wasn't cathartic or elevated.

Still, a great, great show, one of the best.

by Anonymousreply 17109/30/2013

I couldn't care less about Eminem wannabe Jesse. The actor worships Eminem too and wants to play him in a movie. They're both scrawny shrimps with no sex appeal, unless you're into midgets. Bryan Cranston and Bob Odenkirk are the only actors I like from the show, but it was undeniably very entertaining. I'm trying to binge watch Dexter now and I don't see how I'll make it through 8 seasons. It was a piece of cake to watch Breaking Bad in a week though, you just had to find out what happens next.

by Anonymousreply 17209/30/2013

In the past, every time Jesse breaks away from his meth cooking life, he always reverts back to isolating and bong smoking. He just gives in to apathy and hopelessness.

I want to think positive thoughts about him but unless he meets someone who 'reaches' him on some level, I would think he would eventually just return to the stoner lifestyle and living on the margins of society.

On a side note, I thought it was weird to see the commercial for Aaron Paul's film 'Need for Speed.' I'm so used to seeing him as Jesse and not a leading man/action figure. I'll be interested to see how the film does and how his career goes. He seems like a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 17309/30/2013

I found only a couple of interesting turns. In the BB universe, the bad guys always have to die, and usually, their death is proportionate to their evil. So, that Gretchen and Elliott live but with the burden of laundering Walt's money for Jr was fitting; the scene was well conceived and written, because you didn't know what Walt's plans were right up until the end. And particularly fitting for these two minor characters.

But then, Jesse was a bad guy, too. And his crimes were up there with the rest who all ended up dead, so if there was any hole in the moral, it was that he escapes from the Nazis having killed Todd. I guess it had something to do with not shooting Walt, whom he would have killed if he had the chance a couple of episodes ago.

The Stevia packets were too easy of an out for Lydia. Not so much that Lydia didn't deserve to die by her own devices, but after showing us Ricin for 3 seasons, I expected more from it. I was thinking Walt was going to use the Ricin on the Nazis, or perhaps engineer an explosion in their lab big enough to level the compound. However, either method would have killed Jesse too; but that would have been somehow appropriate, given that Walt had such an incredibly bad influence on Jesse from the outset.

I think that the problems with BB were due to the nature of episodic television. Jesse wasn't supposed to be a major character, but Aaron Paul was spectacular in the role, and both the role and Paul tested well, so the Gilligan wrote him in a much more pivotal way. And Skyler did make her decision to break bad, so I expected her to die along with Marie (perhaps a better use of the Ricin). I expected Walt Jr to survive, and the flash-forward glimpses built into the show to foretell how he, Holly and maybe Brock ended up with the money, maybe somehow through Saul showing back up to deliver the cash. Or, the lottery ticket was a perfect way for Walt to launder the money to his heirs (a nod to organized crime) and that when he handed the ticket to Skyler, there would have been two: one with the GPS coordinates, and another winning ticket for Jr to cash.

After the brilliance of this show, the final episode did seem kind of like "okay, let's wrap up all these loose ends." But, all in all, really good television. Really a travesty that they gave the Emmy to Jeff Daniels over Bryan Cranston, but that's Hollywood for ya.

by Anonymousreply 17409/30/2013

My take on Jesse's escape is that it is a wild and hopeless abandonment. Like a speeding car launched gloriously through the air after laying waste to a guardrail. You know it's going to end as a mangled, wasted heap in the bottom of a ravine. You don't have to see it land. You just know.

by Anonymousreply 17509/30/2013

[quote] Really a travesty that they gave the Emmy to Jeff Daniels over Bryan Cranston, but that's Hollywood for ya.

And Hamm and even Spacey. Daniels winning was a real head-scratcher.

by Anonymousreply 17609/30/2013

I loved Todd's ringtone for Lydia. Doesn't Jesse still own the house he had Saul buy from his parents?

by Anonymousreply 17709/30/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 17809/30/2013

I love how in the end Walt showed he wanted to kill the Nazi more than he wanted the rest of the money...

The last scene between Walt and Skylar is the best acting we will see this year from any medium...

by Anonymousreply 17909/30/2013

[quote]Doesn't Jesse still own the house he had Saul buy from his parents?

Yes, and I imagine that after all that time he's been away in captivity his utilities have all been shut off. People on TV never have to worry about their utilities when they go off on extended adventures.

by Anonymousreply 18009/30/2013

R179, I agree but also think that at that point, there was no use in having the money. Walt had a hard enough time trying to launder 9 million; can you imagine 80 million or whatever it was?

by Anonymousreply 18109/30/2013

That last shot was awesome. Did you notice that as the camera pulled above the beams they formed a cross-hair that ultimately came to rest on Walt's chest?

by Anonymousreply 18209/30/2013

[quote]Really [R57]?? That was fun, but The Sopranos was far better crafted. (And I wasn't even the hugest fan of that series.) This was just a big popcorn, audience-pleasing deal.

I agree. BB gave us everything we wanted and tied up the plot lines. The Sopranos was a fuck-you to the audience. (I think the final darkness is the audience getting whacked.) That's because BB has no pretensions about being something better than its audience. It's an extremely well-crafted bit of entertainment, and it's fitting that it ended by giving the audience what it craved.

by Anonymousreply 18309/30/2013

There were things to like about it but all the late comers to the show hyped the hell out of it, these last episodes have felt a bit mainstreamed. The series peaked with Hank's death and was just stumbling toward the inevitable ever since.

It was disappointing that there was no epilogue because there certainly were more than a few loose ends to tie up. At least it went out on a high.

by Anonymousreply 18409/30/2013

[quote]The series peaked with Hank's death and was just stumbling toward the inevitable ever since.

That's classic drama: Crisis followed by denouement.

by Anonymousreply 18509/30/2013

Skylar getting a knife was great not perfect but still blows Lost SFU(overdone old age makeup killed it) and Sopranos endings out of the water. Haven't watched Dexter but it sounds horrible...

by Anonymousreply 18609/30/2013

I'll miss Smash more.

by Anonymousreply 18709/30/2013

Stumbling? They were never stumbling. It was a great ending.

by Anonymousreply 18809/30/2013

RJ Mitte shrugs off his sweet and innocent alter-ego as he poses shirtless in shoot with topless models -

by Anonymousreply 18909/30/2013

[quote] I'm trying to binge watch Dexter now and I don't see how I'll make it through 8 seasons.

DON'T. Watch 4 seasons and stop there. You can make up your own ending. Seriously.

The last few seasons made me actually hate a show I once loved. Especially the soap opera bullshit from the final season. I thought I was watching Lifetime. They turned Dexter into a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 19009/30/2013

[quote]I never saw Walt as any drug kingpin. I think it would have been interesting and even fair to the series to, at the very least, have seen him with a small contingent of hit men who eventually were killed off or faded away. To see him as a true drug lord would have been interesting

I know what you're saying, but I think the meth was secondary to the science, even secondary to the money--that was just a was of keeping score. In the end it was all about making an exceptional product and getting the recognition (infamous though it was) that he wanted.

He never showed the slightest interest in the sales and distribution. In fact, he tried to stay in denial about what his product was doing to people.

In some ways he reminds me of the Nazis who ran the camps, and carefully noted the unit costs involved in "processing" each prisoner, and how much they could recover in used clothing and scrap gold without ever truly coming to grips with the reality of the horrors they were filling their ledger pages with.

I thought the last scene was great. He was in the lab, completely at peace while lovingly tapping the gauges and caressing the stainless steel. Just a shame he never heard that Jesse was turning out batches that were 96% pure. Walt would have been proud of that.

by Anonymousreply 19109/30/2013

Cranston and Paul will be up for Emmys again next year as they will be eligible for this season. The recent ones were the season when Mike was killed. Jonathan Banks was totally robbed of his Emmy by Caravalle

by Anonymousreply 19209/30/2013

Walt's ego was too big for him to be a kingpin. Mike pointed that out to him when he told Walt that Gus had spent years meticulously building a drug empire and Walt shot it to shit when he killed Gus.

Gus didn't build his empire for his own ego. He did it to get back at Hector and the cartel for a cruel, senseless murder.

by Anonymousreply 19309/30/2013

[quote]Jonathan Banks was totally robbed of his Emmy by Caravalle

Giancarlo Esposito (Gus) was also robbed in his seasons. He wasn't even nominated. Unreal.

by Anonymousreply 19509/30/2013

Esposito was nominated. Aaron Paul won again.

by Anonymousreply 19609/30/2013

Ah, R196, you're right.

Tough having two actors from the same show up for the same award. I still think Gus should have won.

by Anonymousreply 19809/30/2013

[quote]Giancarlo Esposito (Gus) was also robbed in his seasons. He wasn't even nominated. Unreal.

He was nominated in 2011 but lost to Aaron Paul. I thought he was a lock to win.

by Anonymousreply 19909/30/2013

[quote] I still think Gus should have won.

Aaron Paul thought so too.

by Anonymousreply 20009/30/2013

[quote]Just a shame he never heard that Jesse was turning out batches that were 96% pure. Walt would have been proud of that.

Gurl, what?

by Anonymousreply 20109/30/2013

21 Fun and Interesting Facts about Breaking Bad;

I knew a few of these, but many were things I'd never heard before.

Now we know why Skyler's weight went up and then back down..

by Anonymousreply 20209/30/2013

"The finale is only outranked by The Walking Dead as AMC's most watched original broadcast to date."

Walking Dead? Really?

by Anonymousreply 20309/30/2013

I will never understand the appeal of Walking Dead.

by Anonymousreply 20409/30/2013

God, how I loved the finale/felina, and how sad I am that it's well and truly over.

Caravelle is an ice cream, no? Bobby Cannavale won the Emmy this year for BSA in a drama.

And it's SKYLER, bitches. Not Skylar.

by Anonymousreply 20509/30/2013

I guess Marie really DIDN'T figure heavily into the actual finale. The actress who played her, of course, was indicating that her character was pivotal to the finale. She really wasn't.

Walt did indeed learn of the upgraded blue meth being made by Jesse. Learning that was what made him pay that visit to the Nazis. It was a key plot point to the ending.

Can anyone remind me exactly what Gretchen and Elliott did to Walt in the first place? I honestly don't remember them.

by Anonymousreply 20609/30/2013

to the posters who think the finale wasn't realistic, and that it was too macgyver-y, please remember the entire el pollo hermanos plot line.: gus poisoning everyone and surviving via blood transfusions? the bombing at the resthome, where gus melts as he is still standing? total fantasy, all of it. the entire series was a blend of gruesome reality, high comedy, and violent fantasy.

and it was near perfect television.

by Anonymousreply 20709/30/2013

Why did he leave that watch on top of the phone booth?

by Anonymousreply 20809/30/2013

yeah - i wondered about that too, r208.

by Anonymousreply 20909/30/2013

Didn't Jesse give him the watch as a gift?

by Anonymousreply 21009/30/2013

On the watch. Can't remember for sure but I think Vince Gilligan said on the Talking Bad show afterwards that it was to resolve a continuity problem.

by Anonymousreply 21109/30/2013

They explained the watch on Talking Bad. It was a continuity issue that they had overlooked regarding when he was wearing the watch and when he wasn't. So Gilligan had to invent a reason why Walt left it there, although I can't remember what that reason was.

by Anonymousreply 21209/30/2013

R208, I read an article today indicating that they realized that when they previously shot the scene of Walt at Denny's that he didn't have a watch on so they needed to introduce a reason for Walt to dump the watch.

Yeah, Marie wasn't part of the finale which is surprising since we never really hear from her again after Hank is murdered. I thought Skyler & the kids might live with her, though I guess at least they are all talking.

I was troubled by the Jesse ending too (this is embarrassing - all day at work I was thinking about how he would avoid the cops, get money, etc.) Jesse never really had much of a life outside of making meth after Jane died so I guess left to the imagine as to whether the newly freed Jesse can make something of himself.

Overall, I liked the ending and I definitely liked strangling Todd (I was actually hoping Jesse would gouge his eyes out - I clearly need help). If anything, it was a little sad to watch pathetic looking Walt grovel to the nazis and Lydia(even though that was part of his plan). Seeing him beaten and weakened wasn't as satisfying as I thought it would be.

by Anonymousreply 21309/30/2013

Gilligan said the "artful" reason they left the watch there was that Jesse gave that watch to Walt, and by leaving it they showed that Walt truly didn't want anything to do with Jesse.

But, yeah, they made that up after. It was because he forgot to wear it in the coffee shop scenes.

by Anonymousreply 21409/30/2013

The first 2 seasons of The Walking Dead were great fun. IMO, it took a nosedive after that

by Anonymousreply 21509/30/2013

But leaving the watch on the phone booth allowed some lucky sucker to find it. He could have smashed it or threw it in the garbage, but didn't.

by Anonymousreply 21609/30/2013

I actually loved the ambiguity of Jesse's ending, but can't hold out much hope for him after this. I think he's so emotionally destroyed that there is no happy ending for him. His adopting Brock seems to me a pipe dream (no pun intended) for optimists.

by Anonymousreply 21709/30/2013

Liked the finale. Thought finding an unlocked car with the keys conveniently tucked under the visor was far fetched. Likewise, thought the convoluted scheme with Eliott and Gretchen was improbable. It's already been mentioned that the Ricin/Stevia thing was WAY overdone. And I agree with the posters about the MacGyver connection. Walt getting out of binds using stuff he new from being a chemistry teacher was fun, but building a super-power-machine-gun-remote-controlled-killing-machine was kinda silly. Still, nice to see the Nazis get offed

by Anonymousreply 21909/30/2013

Best TV show ever.

And I've seen al lot in my day.

by Anonymousreply 22009/30/2013

[quote]That's because you're a fag.

What?! Why, I never! I am clutching my pearls, I am.

by Anonymousreply 22109/30/2013

Right there with you, R220.

Question: how long was it from episode one to the end? The baby looked close to two but that seems kind of improbable.

by Anonymousreply 22209/30/2013

I'm hoping Jessie goes and finds Jere the drug counselor (who backed over his child for God's sake) and he's able to help him. If anyone would be sympathetic it would be him.

by Anonymousreply 22309/30/2013

[quote]Question: how long was it from episode one to the end?

I think the first birthday bacon spelled out 50, and the last one was 52, so 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 22409/30/2013

r189, that is a great example of somebody who you don't want talking during sex. This is terrible to say but he looks good but it goes out the door when he opens his mouth

by Anonymousreply 22509/30/2013

I'm surprised that (just about) everyone is either overlooking or forgiving of the machine-gun scene. That was no less ridiculous than anything out of the A-Team. I'm a little amazed that they didn't bother to come up with a clever way of taking out the nazi gang that would have been devised around Walt's chemistry knowledge. Something like "lock them in the lab and blow it up".

Anyway, I did like the series and I was appreciative of the finale answering questions and not leaving any important loose ends unaddressed.

But really, a machine gun activated by popping open a car trunk? I'm having a little trouble getting passed it.

As far as finale's go, it's up there, but still behind The Shield finale.

by Anonymousreply 22609/30/2013

Thanks, R224. Appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 22709/30/2013

I'm sorry, but BB is not better than The Wire.

by Anonymousreply 22809/30/2013

How else are you supposed to kill a bunch of Nazis?

by Anonymousreply 22909/30/2013

Let's all agree they are on the same rarified plane

by Anonymousreply 23009/30/2013

I thought the idea of using a garage door opener to make the machine gun sweep back and forth was pretty clever, especially since it came with the remote control keychain to activate it.

That said, I'm not a gun nut, but even I know the recoil of the gun would have torn that goofy contraption to pieces within seconds. Of course, that was about #42 on the list of unlikely events, so suspend reality and just enjoy the ending. Keep telling yourself "It was better than Dexter" over and over if you must.

by Anonymousreply 23109/30/2013

[quote]I guess Marie really DIDN'T figure heavily into the actual finale. The actress who played her, of course, was indicating that her character was pivotal to the finale. She really wasn't.

The actress who plays Marie is an odd duck. On talk shows she seemed to play up her importance in the show more than it was.

by Anonymousreply 23209/30/2013

R77 Yes Bryan Cranston (Walt) and Aaron Paul (Jesse) are two amazing actors. As for "where did they find them?" Cranston's been an actor for quite a while -- most recognized before BB as the zany father in Malcolm in the Middle which shows his remarkable range. I recently saw a bio on Cranston and found it interesting that his original career goal was to become a cop since he found himself scoring the highest in his police officer training classes. But, he said his real passion was for acting and he pursued it with the goal of not being a "star" but rather a "working actor." Sometimes you don't even recognize him in movies etc. as he looks different. It took me a bit to realize he was in "Argo" for example.

I'm not sure about Paul's acting background, but Gilligan has said that the character of Jesse was supposed to have been only a small part at the beginning of the show, not an ongoing thing. In Talking Bad last night, Gilligan said that it was Paul's personality and input he appreciated as well as his top notch acting ability and would have had to be insane not to make Jesse a star character right along with Walt.

I agree. For me, it was the relationship (not your typical buddy movie one, but a teacher/student, father/son one) that got me hooked on Breaking Bad. I wanted to see the story of these two characters and how it all ended. Now it's all ended and Gilligan really did it up right!

R77 Great point you made that "The only thing Walt truly got pleasure from was his meth lab." It was that and not just the money from it as Walt couldn't stop. I loved the ending with Walt dead on the floor in that lab with Badfinger's "Baby Blue" playing because the meth was his true child/baby, over his kids and Jesse -- sad, but true.

"The special love I have for you. My Baby Blue." (Baby Blue, Badfinger)

by Anonymousreply 23309/30/2013

R132: "...practicing my Jesse for the numerous Heisenbergs to show up at my door come Halloween."

I can hear you now: "Yo, bitches! Here's your candy!"

by Anonymousreply 23409/30/2013

R102 Betsy Brandt is a decent actress and I found her very likable on a past episode of Talking Bad I saw. But, the character of Marie is super-unlikable! She never really sympathized with her sister Skyler at all the hell she's been through with Walt and the meth life, but just kept trying to get her (kleptomaniac) hooks on Skyler's kids.

I also found it interesting that when the truth came out about Walt being Heisenberg, Marie was so full of hate that she began looking up ways on the internet to poison Walt when Walt was the one poisoning everyone.

by Anonymousreply 23509/30/2013

R185 Thanks for the nod to my dramatic paradigm!

by Anonymousreply 23609/30/2013

Actually R219, keys tucked in the visor in an unlocked car is NOT far fetched in rural areas. If Walt went in to my Mom's garage he could bust in to her unlocked car with the keys in the glove box. He might even find her purse in there if she was having a bad day!

by Anonymousreply 23709/30/2013

Walt killed the Nazi guy the same way the Nazi guy killed Hank in the desert - Walt didn't let the guy finish his sentence before BOOM. That's just how Hank got it.

When Walt said he was going to take out the Nazis last week, I couldn't figure out how he would possibly do that by himself, but the gun in the trunk thing might've even outdone how he murdered Gus.

by Anonymousreply 23809/30/2013

Yes, the gun in the trunk was unexpected and a perfect way for Walt to kill the Nazis since his knack for science had gotten him and Jesse out of every seemingly impossible situation throughout the show. There was the battery Walt made from coins and bolts. (Loved Jesse wide-eyed asking Walt if he was making a robot!)

There was the giant magnet to get the evidence out of the police lab. This seemed like something totally improbable and that it belonged in a comic book, not the show EXCEPT that it worked because it was actually Jesse's idea and this is the kind of mind Jesse has.

by Anonymousreply 23909/30/2013

I loved the finale. Yes, the machine gun thing was a bit far fetched, but Walt's proven to have some inner MacGyverisms. He's constantly referred to as brilliant. I guess it didn't really bother me all that much. But the Stevia references DID. It just wasn't needed. Say it one time. That was all we needed.

by Anonymousreply 24009/30/2013

On how Lydia became the ricin target:

“The writers and I all subscribe to the dramatic philosophy of playwright Chekhov, who said that if you establish a gun in Act 1, you better have it get fired at somebody by Act 3. We knew that ricin was still out there and we knew it was hidden behind the wall outlet in the old White house bedroom. I guess we could have let it slide, but we thought to ourselves, ‘The audience has been real good to us, they’ve paid very close attention, we want to reward them by not leaving any loose ends here.’ And also, honestly, the actress who plays Lydia [Laura Fraser] is a wonderful, warm, sweet person but the chatacter of Lydia — we were all champing at the bit to see her get her just desserts much more than Todd even. Todd is so likable, you almost have these ambivalent feelings when he’s being choked to death. But Lydia? We were all of one mind when we were saying, ‘Oh man, she’s got to go.’

by Anonymousreply 24109/30/2013

The Stevia thing is OK because she's the only one the viewer didn't get to see buy the farm.

By beating us over the head with it as it was unfolding, we got to to at least savor the fact that she was getting what she had coming.

by Anonymousreply 24309/30/2013

I seem to be in the minority on this, but the repeated Stevia mentions by Lydia didn't bother me. I thought it was fitting for her character -- an entitled hipster mom - and the way she kept asking for "more Stevia" annoyed me more and made me thrilled beyond belief when Walt phoned her to tell her he'd poisoned her damn Stevia!

by Anonymousreply 24409/30/2013

People complaining about the gun machine.

What about: The magnets, Gus and the poison (surviving via blood transfusions!), Walt blowing his way out of Tuco's building, the end of Face-Off.....

The gun machine was actually pretty tame compared to some of the things they have done in the past. It made sense in the BB universe.

by Anonymousreply 24509/30/2013

It's almost a comic book universe.

by Anonymousreply 24609/30/2013

Lydia is a hipster???

by Anonymousreply 24709/30/2013

He was just leaving, take care now....

Makes Walt's revenge even sweeter

by Anonymousreply 24909/30/2013

Lydia was so horrid, I was hoping she would find her way to her grave.

by Anonymousreply 25009/30/2013

Everyone called them Nazi's. Were Jack and Todd Nazi's?

by Anonymousreply 25109/30/2013

I read an interview with one of the writers and he called them Nazis

by Anonymousreply 25209/30/2013

[quote]Sopranos was as gripping a a low level soap opera! What an overrated show that was with a terrible finale. Nuances? Like Ralphie beating his pregnant girlfriend to death. Cartoony stereotypes like Uncle Junior. That show's fans didn't receive closure with that fade to black.

Dude, the Sopranos was Shakespeare to Breaking Bad's Neil Simon. The Soprano's was based in reality as much as entertainment could. This show was fantasy from day one. How many machine guns attacks can one walk away from? Magical Meth recipe that no one could recreate? Main characters continually getting shot or beaten to a pulp and are up and running the next day. The whole thing was over the top soap.

Nothing in 63 episodes of BB came anywhere near Adriana's end. The Soprano's ending was satisfying and epic for real fans. The tension was unbearable and then black, because life goes on and with Tony, for the rest of his life he will always be watching the door and never know who is coming in.

by Anonymousreply 25309/30/2013

Did they ever really explain Todd's backstory? What's Jack Armstrong All American Boy doing living with his "Uncle" and the Nazis, and how is it that he avoided sinking to their level? I mean, he's a cold blooded killer and meth dealer so I guess some of it stuck, but with that bunch you would think he would be sporting a neck tattoo and wearing biker leathers.

I remember he worked for the pest control company and came back to rob the houses later, but I don't remember them ever explaining the Nazi angle.

by Anonymousreply 25409/30/2013

R219, BB has always been a fable.

If ths was a real movie about methi it would look quite different.

The fantastic things that happen...just go with it.

by Anonymousreply 25509/30/2013

R253 Breaking Bad was never even trying to be The Sopranos. I hated The Sopranos and never watched it. I loved Breaking Bad and watched every episode plus the whole damn marathon. As R255 says, BB was supposed to be chock full of those "fantastic things."

by Anonymousreply 25609/30/2013

I really wish they could have done a 2 hour finale or even just an hour and a 1/2. They just didn't have enough time and I felt like a lot of stuff was crammed into those 75 minutes minus the MANY, MANY commercials.

by Anonymousreply 25710/01/2013

[quote]Everyone called them Nazi's. Were Jack and Todd Nazi's?

Uncle Jack and his guys all had swastika tattoos.

Seems pretty likely they were (Neo-)Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 25810/01/2013

Watching the marathon this weekend really brought out the brilliant moments of the show even more. This show, more than any other, really lends itself to binge watching. Especially when you watch them again and pick up on plot details started seasons ago that don't get rectified until now.

by Anonymousreply 25910/01/2013

[quote]The Soprano's [sic] ending was satisfying and epic for real fans. The tension was unbearable and then black, because life goes on and with Tony, for the rest of his life he will always be watching the door and never know who is coming in.

Dude, don't you realise that Tony Soprano was killed?

The creepy guy in the Members Only (or whatever) jacket walked up from near the bathrooms and shot Tony in the head.

That's why the screen went black, cuz Tony died.

by Anonymousreply 26010/01/2013

Never have I missed a TV show so much and it's only been one day! I find myself wondering about the many details like why Walt always cut so much crust off of his sandwiches, there was only a small square of sandwich left or why Marie was so drawn to purple.

by Anonymousreply 26110/01/2013

What happened to Saul?

by Anonymousreply 26210/01/2013

Saul is managing an IHop in Nebraska.

by Anonymousreply 26410/01/2013

Cinnabon.

by Anonymousreply 26510/01/2013

Did Walt or the tv audience ever find out where the Nazi's hid all the money they stole from Walt? What became of that anyway?

by Anonymousreply 26610/01/2013

R260, no one knows what happened to Tony.

Another (and in my opinion, more sophisticated explanation) is that the final scene existed to bring you into his head, where he lived in a place of free floating anxiety, and that the series would bring no resolution to it. We as the audience got to experience a little bit of Tony's hell. Less sophisticated viewers insist it has to represent something more concrete. It does not.

by Anonymousreply 26710/01/2013

Dean Norris, Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul all guest starred on episodes of The X-Files when Vince Gilligan was a writer/producer.

by Anonymousreply 26810/01/2013

I loved when Vince Gilligan said his all time favorite show was The Twilight Zone. More evidence of his brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 26910/01/2013

[quote]I loved when Vince Gilligan said his all time favorite show was The Twilight Zone. More evidence of his brilliance.

I swear, the fan base for Breaking Bad has gone from being a cult to being North Korea.

by Anonymousreply 27010/01/2013

[quote]What happened to Saul?

He got a spinoff.

The only brilliance of this show was the ability to produce hype for a show absent of any sympathetic characters. As much as a monster Tony Soprano was, you cared about him. No one I know cared a whit about Walt, it was just a fun rollercoaster ride. Full of clichéd boogeymen who get shot, stabbed, beyond reality and have zero concern for their own safety or mortality and keep coming.

by Anonymousreply 27110/01/2013

[quote]I wonder if the woodworking sequence was Jesse's reverie of what he'd rather be doing or a glimpse into his future.

It wasn't a glimpse into the future that's for sure (a pretty scarless Jesse looking like Geppeto?). It was more a visualization of how Jesse got through his forced labor. An "I've Been Working On The Railroad" of sorts. Walt did the same thing (sang through the labor) while building his machine gun contraption.

What I did like as Poetic Justice was how Jesse got to kill Todd with the same chains that Todd used to imprison him.

by Anonymousreply 27210/01/2013

R253 obviously has never watched BB. No one continuously walked away from machine gun attacks, the recipe was not magical - it's a precise chemistry which is why it made Walt so valuable, and no one was up and running the next day after being beat or otherwise, ever.

If you don't like the show, fine. But don't make up bullshit to try justify why you think another show was better. I liked Sopranos and I liked Breaking Bad too, and IMO Breaking Bad was better.

by Anonymousreply 27310/01/2013

[quote]What I did like as Poetic Justice was how Jesse got to kill Todd with the same chains that Todd used to imprison him.

It's not exactly an original idea.

by Anonymousreply 27410/01/2013

R272 - the woodwork sequence was a flashback. In season 2 (I think) Jesse tells Walt that the only thing he felt he'd ever fully accomplished was a wooden stash box he made in high school. He was so proud of it, even though he eventually sold it for weed.

Side note: That box (and a lot of other memorabilia from the show) is up for auction online. I'm thinking about buying it.

by Anonymousreply 27510/01/2013

No the wooden box was a fantasy, not a flashback. I have to wonder if people here even watch the show.

Saul called the vacuum cleaner guy and got a new identity in Nebraska

by Anonymousreply 27610/01/2013

Tony didn't get wacked at the end of The Sopranos, the audience did. Tony did not die, David Chase has said so.

by Anonymousreply 27710/01/2013

Perhaps flashback wasn't the right word, but the box was definitely a memory of better days.

by Anonymousreply 27810/01/2013

R277: No, he hasn't.

by Anonymousreply 27910/01/2013

[quote]Tony didn't get wacked at the end of The Sopranos, the audience did. Tony did not die, David Chase has said so.

Despite what you may have read here or on other forums, Chase actually hasn't said that. He hasn't said much at all. Google it and read the interviews that he's done on the subject. (As opposed to articles where people quote him without sources or even quotation marks.) If anything, he leans in the "Tony is dead" direction.

Which isn't to say that you can't interpret it the way you want. That's the beauty of real art.

by Anonymousreply 28010/01/2013

Am I the only one who noticed that "Felina" is "Finale" in an anagram?

by Anonymousreply 28110/01/2013

[quote]No one continuously walked away from machine gun attacks, the recipe was not magical - it's a precise chemistry which is why it made Walt so valuable, and no one was up and running the next day after being beat or otherwise, ever.

I watched every frame of it. I didn't say it was bad TV, it just wasn't in the same league as The Sopranos. Up and running the next day was a figure of speech. The entire six year show as actually a little more than a year time frame. The hit on Uncle Hank by the Cousin Assassins is one example. He was shot multiple times and the cousins are shot and legs removed and they keep on coming, only to have Hank prevail. Or Mike in the back of the hijacked delivery truck under assault of multiple machine guns but walks away with a nicked ear. OK?

by Anonymousreply 28210/01/2013

[quote]Am I the only one who noticed that "Felina" is "Finale" in an anagram?

No

by Anonymousreply 28410/01/2013

[quote] Despite what you may have read here or on other forums, Chase actually hasn't said that. He hasn't said much at all. Google it and read the interviews that he's done on the subject. (As opposed to articles where people quote him without sources or even quotation marks.) If anything, he leans in the "Tony is dead" direction.

I believe has said that to him it isn't ambiguous, that the answer to Tony's fate is there if you look at it. There's a great blog somewhere out there that I am too lazy to look up that brilliantly and in minute detail makes the case that Tony is dead. It is fascinating reading if you can find it.

by Anonymousreply 28510/01/2013

Google "masters of sopranos" to find the blog

by Anonymousreply 28610/01/2013

The wooden box was a reference to the box Jesse made in shop class that he ended up selling for an ounce of weed. He told the story to his support group...

by Anonymousreply 28710/01/2013

The best explanation of Felina I saw was Fe is the chemical symbol for iron "blood" Li is lithium "meth" and Na is "salt" so Blood Meth and Tears.

I wish Walt had survived and been on 20/20 or something and getting the glory he craved. Still loved Walt, even to the end. He reminded me of my dad, a chemical engineer. He even had the same limp at the end.

by Anonymousreply 28810/01/2013

Here's the link R285/286 couldn't be arsed to get:

by Anonymousreply 28910/01/2013

R288 Lithium is Meth? What? Then my bi-polar meds make me a meth user. What?

by Anonymousreply 29010/01/2013

R290, many meth recipes call for lithium which is then synthesized.

by Anonymousreply 29110/01/2013

Okay, thanks R291

by Anonymousreply 29210/01/2013

[quote]Am I the only one who noticed that "Felina" is "Finale" in an anagram?

No, and Vince Gilligan has said that this is the provenance of the title for this episode.

by Anonymousreply 29410/01/2013

I've decided that the brief segment where Jesse is lovingly crafting his wood box is a flash forward, to a time beyond the end of these events, where he's made his own life.

by Anonymousreply 29610/01/2013

Wouldn't you think he hid some of the money somewhere? He had so much and it was such a stupid thing for him to throw it away. It's hard to forgive him for that.

by Anonymousreply 29710/02/2013

[quote]I've decided that the brief segment where Jesse is lovingly crafting his wood box is a flash forward, to a time beyond the end of these events, where he's made his own life.

Honey.

It's him, in the toil of his slavery, imagining himself in a better place, a memory where he was actually proud of what he produced. It was between a flashback and a heightened fantasy of him imagining him in a better place in the past.

But yes, go ahead, imagine what you will!

by Anonymousreply 29810/02/2013

Big round of applause for the poster who imagines they are our Karen Walker. Honey this right here.

by Anonymousreply 29910/02/2013

agree with r297

by Anonymousreply 30010/02/2013

Oh r299, please. Karen Walker did not invent "honey." She did overuse it, though.

by Anonymousreply 30110/02/2013

[quote]Wouldn't you think he hid some of the money somewhere? He had so much and it was such a stupid thing for him to throw it away. It's hard to forgive him for that.

Are you speaking of Walt? All the money he had, he gave to Gretchen and Elliot to give to Junior in a trust. When he's at the Denny's you see him open his wallet to pay the bill and he pulls out a hundred dollar bill. You can see that is the last of his money.

Uncle Jack and the Nazis had possession of the other 6 barrels and Jack was going to try and save himself by telling Walt where they were. Walt, however, was mortally wounded and knew he had mere minutes left. There was no point.

This Nazi was kind of hot and evidently is packing in the pants area.

by Anonymousreply 30210/02/2013

No. I was talking about Jessie. He left his prison where the Nazi's had him and then someone mentioned he might be wanted by the DEA and he had no job or money...no access to Saul. I said that maybe Jessie had hid some money, somewhere. Wouldn't most people?

by Anonymousreply 30310/02/2013

Ohhh sorry, r303. It was stupid but that money was never going to be good for Jesse. Didn't he own his aunt's house outright? I wonder what happened with that? Probably he was presumed dead and the house went to his next of kin (which would suck in a way).

by Anonymousreply 30410/02/2013

Did anyone know of Jesse's guilt except Hank and Gomie? From what I recall, Hank still hadn't spilled the beans about Jesse before he and Gomez were killed and Walt was subsequently outed by his son, right? It's a little fuzzy for me.

by Anonymousreply 30510/02/2013

Marie and Skyler know r305

by Anonymousreply 30610/02/2013

Ah, right. But do we think they informed the police about him?

by Anonymousreply 30710/02/2013

Trying again...

What did Gretchen and Elliot do on the show before these last few episodes? I honestly don't remember them...

by Anonymousreply 30810/02/2013

R308: They haven't been around much except for early on. They were kind of background fodder. I believe they came up after Hank was shot and needed the expensive rehab and the background discussion involved Grey Matter and gambling. But.................I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 30910/02/2013

Gretchen, Elliot and Walt were all friends in college, and in fact Gretchen and Walt were romantically involved. Something happened which caused Walt to abandon Gretchen (the backstory per the actress who played her is that he went to meet her family and his ego couldn't handle their wealth and achievements, so he left) and to sell his stake in their newly founded company, Gray Matter, for $5000. Gretchen then married Elliot and they went on to make untold millions from Gray Matter.

Walt held a grudge because he felt that Gretchen and Elliot stole his research and hard work and then made all kinds of money and never cut him in. He always blamed them for the fact that he was such a loser as he went through the rest of his life. In reality his ego needed the recognition and credit that he felt he deserved , and these same traits are what turned him into the "empire builder" Heisenberg.

by Anonymousreply 31010/02/2013

thanks R310!!

Damn, I don't remember that story line at all.

by Anonymousreply 31110/02/2013

In one of the first season episodes Skyler and Walt go to Elliot's birthday party, and Elliot offers Walt a job. He stresses that Gray Matter has excellent health insurance, and Walt realizes that Skyler has asked them for help. He is furious and they leave the party. Walt tells the family he is going to refuse treatment for the cancer outright but then has a change of heart. He tells Skyler that he will accept Elliot and Gretchen paying for his treatments, but really goes back to Jesse and starts cooking again.

Interestingly Vince Gilligan wasn't going to revisit Gray Matter or the Schwartzes, but then spoke with a 16 year old fan who was suffering from cancer. Vince asked him what he wanted to see on the show, and he said he wanted to see more of Gretchen and Elliot. Vince offered to tell the kid how the show ended, but he declined, and said he wanted to watch it. Unfortunately he passed away in March.

by Anonymousreply 31210/02/2013

Marie knows Hank had Jessie in custody and that Jesse was involved ith Walt in the meth business. The DEA would definitely want to speak with Jesse as he was with Hank and Gomez the last time Marie saw them alive. Marie didn't know about the neonazis, so Jesse would be a suspect in Hank's disappearance.

by Anonymousreply 31310/02/2013

I thought the house that Jessie owned was his parents house, not his aunts house...which is it?

One of my favorite scenes is when he walks past them with the keys in his hand. I thought they were his parents.

by Anonymousreply 31410/02/2013

[quote] The best explanation of Felina I saw was Fe is the chemical symbol for iron "blood" Li is lithium "meth" and Na is "salt" so Blood Meth and Tears.

WTF?

Felina is the woman in the song "El Paso", which is playing in the cassette deck of the Audi Walt stole. He also hums the song in the desert while he works on the machine gun.

The song is about a guy who is hopelessly in love with a woman named Felina who works at Rosa'a Cantina in El Paso. He finds her with another man and shoots him to death. He runs away because the cowboy he shot to death is a badass with a gang. But he's too lonely by himself and his love for Felina draws him back to the cantina. He knows he will be killed, but he can't help it.

He rides back to El Paso. As he rides down to the cantina, cowboys come out of the bushes and shoot him. He makes it to the back door of the cantina and lives long enough to receive a final kiss from Felina.

Did any of you people actually watch the show or read this thread? The entire episode is an updated version of the song.

by Anonymousreply 31510/02/2013

How is lithium meth ??? Huh?

by Anonymousreply 31610/02/2013

Fuck all you bitches!

by Anonymousreply 31710/02/2013

And when the young cowboy murderer in the song leaves El Paso after the killing, he hides out " in the badlands of New Mexico."

by Anonymousreply 31810/02/2013

I'd sure like to slide my Pinkman into Jesse. That's for sure!

by Anonymousreply 31910/02/2013

Vince Gilligan discusses the finale in this 90 minute Breaking Bad Insider Podcast. It's very very interesting, lots of details about plotting and paths not taken throughout the series. And a shorter interview with Aaron Paul at the end.

by Anonymousreply 32010/03/2013

Latin America is remaking Breaking Bad...

This should be fun...

by Anonymousreply 32110/03/2013

[quote]I thought the house that Jessie owned was his parents house, not his aunts house...which is it?

It was his aunt's who he took care of at the end of her life. She left the house with the parents. They had a deal that when the house was sold the parents would get half and Jesse get half. So they could kick him out legally, but Jesse got revenge by buying the house for half of what it was worth.

by Anonymousreply 32210/03/2013

[quote]How is lithium meth ??? Huh?

Nobody is saying that lithium *is* meth. An alkali metal such lithium (or sodium) is an ingredient in the manufacture of meth, to react with pseudoephedrine and anhydrous ammonia.

by Anonymousreply 32310/03/2013

Jesse's aunt left the house to Jesse's parents with a stipulation that Jesse could have a lifetime residency in the house provided he could handle the upkeep. But the dissolving of the bathtub with chemicals left an unfixed gaping hole in the celling. Plus Jessie was having drug parties while cooking meth in the kitchen and basement. So the residency was revoked and the parents got the house and renovated it.

They then tried to sell it to make enough of a profit to send their other kid to space camp and pay for his college education. But Saul got the house from them for basically the amount if money they'd spent renovating it, thanks to Jesse telling Saul he'd run an illegal meth lab from the premises.

I think the hate for Jesse's parents was misplaced. They'd sent him to therapy, to rehab, they'd dealt with his meth shit for years and he wouldn't straighten up. It's not their fault that Jesse didn't tell them the joint his mother found in their house belonged to Jesse's kid brother.

If you've ever dealt with a relative who is heavily into drugs, there comes a time when you have to preserve your own sanity and the sanity of your other children and cut the druggie loose. My best friend's sister and her husband are dealing with this now with one of their sons. He's probably bipolar or severely depressed but he refuses therapy and self medicates with alcohol, weed, meth and heroin. He's over 18 and they can't force him into any type of drug program. He's living on the streets because they couldn't have their other kids exposed to the kind of people he would drag home with him to his parents' house. They'd wake up in the morning and find some dirtbag stranger sleeping on their couch. "Oh, he's my friend! I couldn't let him sleep outside in the rain! Mom? Dad? You taught me to be charitable!"

by Anonymousreply 32410/03/2013

[quote]Gretchen then married Elliot and they went on to make untold millions from Gray Matter.

Billions, actually. In the "Breaking Bad" world Gray Matter is supposed to be roughly on par with Apple, and Walt is the jilted Sculley to Gretchen/Elliott's Steve Jobs.

[quote]Marie knows Hank had Jessie in custody and that Jesse was involved with Walt in the meth business. The DEA would definitely want to speak with Jesse as he was with Hank and Gomez the last time Marie saw them alive. Marie didn't know about the neonazis, so Jesse would be a suspect in Hank's disappearance.

Close, but not quite. Marie knew that Jesse a) was helping Hank and Gomie to take Walt down, and b) disappeared the same time they did. The logical inference would have been that whomever killed Hank and Gomie also killed Jesse; indeed, that's what Walt himself thought until nearly the very end. Furthermore, Skyler would have known that it wasn't Jesse who broke into her house (in the finale) and threatened to kill her and her children if she blabbed about Lydia; she had met him multiple times previously and would recognize his voice.

The *actual* question, however -- and one that will remain unanswered -- is what happened after Skyler gave the DEA the lottery-ticket coordinates Walt provided. They would have subsequently discovered, and presumably identified, Hank and Gomez, but obviously not Jesse. Furthermore, it wouldn't be much of a stretch for them to figure out the Nazis had him imprisoned in a meth lab for the better part of a year. Although he and Todd would have worn protective gear while manufacturing the meth, his DNA would nevertheless be all over the place, particularly the place he slept. (Also, although it was never shown, it is a safe assumption that Jesse's house was searched shortly after Walt left town; authorities could have retrieved samples of Jesse's hair, etc. for cross-matching purposes.)

Still, while Jesse may have remained a "person of interest" in the case, there would have been absolutely zero direct evidence tying him to Walt (unlike Skyler, who'd expended considerable effort laundering Walt's drug profits). No one who knew about the connection between Walt and Jesse (and didn't die by the end) -- a list that includes Skyler, Marie, Badger and Skinny Pete -- could provide anything but circumstantial or hearsay evidence. (Even Skyler had no specifics as to the extent of Jesse's involvement. Saul knew, of course, but as Jesse's and Walt's counsel he could invoke attorney-client privilege, even assuming he was ever located.) Anyway, with Walt and all the Nazis dead (not to mention Lydia, though the authorities would probably fail to connect her to any of it), and the meth "cartel" destroyed, they'd probably just let the matter go.

[quote]Did any of you people actually watch the show or read this thread? The entire episode is an updated version of the song.

Did you stop, even for a nanosecond, to consider that many of the elements incorporated into the show have at least two meanings or references, if not three, four or even five? In this case "Felina" has at least three:

1. The character in the Marty Robbins song "El Paso" (and btw Walt stole a Volvo, not an Audi)

2. The chemical names for components of "blood, sweat and tears"

3. An anagram for "finale"

by Anonymousreply 32510/03/2013

[quote]Still, while Jesse may have remained a "person of interest" in the case, there would have been absolutely zero direct evidence tying him to Walt (unlike Skyler, who'd expended considerable effort laundering Walt's drug profits). No one who knew about the connection between Walt and Jesse

You're forgetting that the Nazis stole the DVD with Jesse's confession from Hank's house, and sat at the clubhouse watching it on their DVD player. One would assume that's where it still was when the police arrived, and it would stand to reason that they watched it as a matter of course.

Odd that Jesse's effort to screw Walt could eventually be the only evidence that focuses the law on him.

by Anonymousreply 32610/03/2013

I bet Miss Nanosecond aka r325 is a real blast at parties.

by Anonymousreply 32710/03/2013

[quote]You're forgetting that the Nazis stole the DVD with Jesse's confession from Hank's house, and sat at the clubhouse watching it on their DVD player.

Good point, but on the other hand the DVD would serve to corroborate Marie's knowledge that Jesse was helping the DEA. Also, the DVD was more of a confession as to *Walt's* misdeeds, not his own.

by Anonymousreply 32810/03/2013

How does Lithium relate to sweat, R325? That makes no sense. Felina referred to the song and the anagram. The whole 'blood, meth, tears" thing seems dumb and overreaching, imo.

by Anonymousreply 32910/03/2013

Yes because they would definitely keep a dvd implicating them in the murder of a child. The Fe Li Na explanation is a neat one.

by Anonymousreply 33010/03/2013

[quote] Marie knew that Jesse a) was helping Hank and Gomie to take Walt down, and b) disappeared the same time they did. The logical inference would have been that whomever killed Hank and Gomie also killed Jesse;

No, it isn't logical at all for the DEA to assume Jesse is dead.

Jesse's a criminal involved with an international gang of meth producers that Marie knows all about because of Jesse's confession and Hank's shared knowledge of Jesse's history with her. Marie will tell the DEA all about Jesse and there will be every reason to think that Jesse could be involved in the killing of two DEA agents. There will be DEA sitting at Jesse's house.

Jesse is driving a stolen car owned by one of the neonazis that was killed at the compound the police are speeding to at the end of the episode. He has no moey - he gave it all away. If he goes home, the DEA will pick him right up. If he goes to Brock, Brock's grandmother will call the police, because as far as she knows, Jesse might have been involved in her daughter's murder.

Saul is gone, so Jesse will not have a lawyer to help him out.

So to recap --

1.) if Jesse goes from the neonazi compound to his house, he's going to be picked up immediately by the DEA and be a prime suspect in the murders of the DEA agents.

2.) How is he going to explain his involvement with the neonazis?

3.) His involvement with Walter White?

4.) If the DEA wants to prosecute Jesse, there's nobody to protect him. Walt can't tell them Jesse wasn't involved in Hank's murder because Walter is dead.

5.) The neonazis can't clear Jesse -- they're dead.

6.) If the DEA wants to nail somebody for the deaths of their agents -- and theyre going to want to make somebody pay -- they're going to nail Jesse, because nobody else is left.

Marie knows Jesse and Walt were a team. She can help nail Jesse, so why wouldn't she? She knows he was Walt's number one man.

Jesse's got no money, no credit cards on him and a tank of gas. That's as far as he goes and then he's going to wind up in someone's custody.

Hank and Steve's bodies are going to be discovered as soon as Skyler makes a deal and tells the DEA where the bodies are. Jesse's body, naturally, won't be there. And Jesse will be the only living member of the international drug ring that is responsible for the deaths of two DEA agents. Poor old, broke-ass Jesse with nowhere to go and no one to protect him.

by Anonymousreply 33110/03/2013

He still has Badger and Skinny Pete, r331

He could hide out for a while until things cool down.

by Anonymousreply 33210/03/2013

Well, Badger and Skinny Pete are still around and are newly in funds.

by Anonymousreply 33310/03/2013

[quote] there would have been zero direct evidence tying him to Walt

Except for Skyler, Marie and Huell, who all know who Jesse is and how he's tied to Walt and meth making and who all knew Hank and Steve Gomez. The DEA know who Jesse is because Hank beat the shit out of him and was suspended from the DEA because of it. With Hank missing, the DEA is going to look at everyone in Hank's past as an LEO at the DEA and Jesse's name will come up.

Oh yeah. And the DVD at Naziville.

BTW, Vince Gilligan has made no reference at all to "Blood, meth and tears," which is a total stretch even for the Internet, lol. He DID say that Felina was an anagram for finale and he DID put the song El Paso, which contains the name Felina, into his finale.

by Anonymousreply 33410/03/2013

Todd never let Jesse wear protective gear while they were cooking. Jesse probably has lung damage and won't live too long.

by Anonymousreply 33510/03/2013

OK, let's pretend Jesse lives happily ever after.

If you're the DEA or the prosecuting attorney, you have a beautiful case here. You have Walt as the evil mastermind, you have the Nazis as his evil henchmen, you have the dead DEA agents because Walt all but confessed. You have the meth lab in the Nazi compound. It's all wrapped up with a pretty ribbon.

Are you seriously going to fuck up a thing of beauty like that to prosecute a little wet rat like Jesse? Even a public defender will point out that Hank beat the shit out him, they got the video confession completely off the books in Hank's living room. And if he was making meth, he was doing it at the end of a chain and being held in a bear cage while he was doing it. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that no one would want to spend ten seconds dealing with Jesse Pinkston at this point.

by Anonymousreply 33610/03/2013

R336 has it.

The whole Heisenberg saga is a messy embarrassment and the state will want to sweep it under the rug ASAP.

Jesse will be fodder for the true crime writers who cover the saga for years to come. "Who was Jesse Pinkman?".

by Anonymousreply 33710/03/2013

Hank went rogue and poor Gomie had to get killed. If hank followed official protocol he wouldn't have killed.

Agree with r336, the DEA wants this whole mess to go away.

by Anonymousreply 33810/03/2013

[quote]How does Lithium relate to sweat, R325?

I should've said meth, not sweat. As for how lithium relates to meth: Walt's specialty was meth manufactured via anhydrous ammonia. While it's a trickier method than the ones more commonly used, it has the advantage of being substantially safer, thanks to its comparatively slow means of hydrogen production, one that avoids the kind of chain reaction that can blow up a meth lab. One needs a reactive metal to induce the chemical reaction, however, and the one most commonly available can be found in a unique type of foil used in certain types of batteries; said foil is, yes, lithium metal.

[quote]No, it isn't logical at all for the DEA to assume Jesse is dead.

Please read my *entire* post before responding, hon. I was referring to the DEA's assumption [italic]right after Hank & Gomie died, and Walt disappeared[/italic].

[quote]Marie will tell the DEA all about Jesse and there will be every reason to think that Jesse could be involved in the killing of two DEA agents.

Oh, please. Jesse exited the meth business months before Hank figured anything out. The Albuquerque police already knew he was guilt-racked enough by it that he was crazily tossing his ill-gained profits into random yards in the middle of the night. Jesse knew absolutely nothing about this "international gang" except the fact that Lydia was an intermediary. (For that matter, that's all Walt and the Nazis knew as well.) Finally, near the end there were few certainties in Marie Schrader's life, but one of them was the fact that Jesse wanted to get Walt as much as Hank did, if not much more. Remember that Jesse not only knew Walt had poisoned Brock by the time Hank got to him, he was enraged enough by it that he ALMOST BURNED DOWN WALT'S HOUSE. Hank's arrival was the ONLY thing that stopped him. In sum, absolutely none of this supports your hypothesis that Jesse would have in any way been a suspect in Hank's or Gomie's disappearance (btw neither of their deaths were ever actually confirmed, in terms of what we witnessed on screen - Hank had told Skyler that "they would never see Hank again," but they didn't have bodies).

[quote]There will be DEA sitting at Jesse's house.

Once more, with feeling: NEARLY A YEAR LAPSED after Walt left town (and Hank, Gomie and Jesse were "missing"). I won't even get into the absurdity of the idea that Jesse would ever RETURN TO HIS HOUSE, let alone the thought of the DEA engaging in a YEAR-LONG STAKEOUT.

Anyway ... leaping ahead to your scenario of what Jesse would do after leaving the Nazi compound:

[quote]1.) if Jesse goes from the neonazi compound to his house, he's going to be picked up immediately by the DEA and be a prime suspect in the murders of the DEA agents.

HOW STUPID ARE YOU??? Are you a HOUSE REPUBLICAN?!? Do you SERIOUSLY think -- IN A MILLION YEARS -- that Jesse would EVER go back to his house?? FUCK no.

[quote]2.) How is he going to explain his involvement with the neonazis?

Apparently you are unclear how the very basic concept of "innocent until proven guilty" works. He wouldn't have to explain his involvement; THE DEA WOULD HAVE TO [bold]PROVE[/bold] HIS INVOLVEMENT. Furthermore, that pre-supposes that anyone could even prove the Nazis DID ANYTHING. Why on earth do you think authorities would try to build a case AGAINST DEAD PEOPLE???

[quote]If the DEA wants to nail somebody for the deaths of their agents -- and theyre going to want to make somebody pay -- they're going to nail Jesse, because nobody else is left.

Somebody did pay: HIS NAME IS WALTER WHITE, A.K.A. HEISENBERG, A.K.A. THE SCARFACE OF NEW MEXICO.

[quote]Jesse's got no money, no credit cards on him and a tank of gas. That's as far as he goes and then he's going to wind up in someone's custody.

You mean unless he, I don't know, drives a mere TWO HOURS south, crosses the border into Mexico and disappears permanently? Good GOD some of you bitches lack critical thinking skills...

by Anonymousreply 33910/03/2013

[quote]If you're the DEA or the prosecuting attorney, you have a beautiful case here. You have Walt as the evil mastermind, you have the Nazis as his evil henchmen, you have the dead DEA agents because Walt all but confessed. You have the meth lab in the Nazi compound. It's all wrapped up with a pretty ribbon. Are you seriously going to fuck up a thing of beauty like that to prosecute a little wet rat like Jesse?

EXACTLY. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 34010/03/2013

Imagine for a moment you're working in a call center--Comcast, Verizon, whatever--and something goes seriously wrong and the system just fails. The board lights up and the first call you get is from r325 aka Miss Nanosecond aka Miss EXACTLY. Thank you.

Might as well just put a bullet through your brain and be done with it. It would be a merciful end.

by Anonymousreply 34110/03/2013

I'm curious what people think about Walts intentions towards Jesse when he made his plans for the Neo Nazis. Did he intend to kill him along with all the others and then had a change of heart after he saw him and his damaged, enslaved state? Did he always intend to save Jesse? Was Walt's angry accusation that Jesse was now Jack's partner a simple bid for more time so he could recover his keys, or honest fury at being betrayed by Jack after their previous deal, or a ploy to get Jesse into a position where he could save him?

by Anonymousreply 34210/03/2013

The Albuquerque newspaper is running Walter White's obit tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 34310/03/2013

r341, I used to work for a cable network call center. I would mute the phone and then "accidentally" hang up on him.

by Anonymousreply 34410/04/2013

[quote]I'm curious what people think about Walts intentions towards Jesse when he made his plans for the Neo Nazis. Did he intend to kill him along with all the others and then had a change of heart after he saw him and his damaged, enslaved state?

Walt had absolutely no idea Jesse was alive until after they informed him of it upon his arrival. He may have wanted him dead when he first found out, but undoubtedly reversed himself as soon as he saw the shell of what Jesse had become.

by Anonymousreply 34510/04/2013

Here are some alternative endings the writers thought up but didn't use

by Anonymousreply 34610/04/2013

I swear I love TV threads on the DL. They make me like the shows so much more. I wish we had more of them that took off like Breading Bad and Mad Men threads.

by Anonymousreply 34710/04/2013

no, that's not right, r345. Walt knew (or at least strongly suspected) that Jesse was alive after watching the Charlie Rose episode where Rose mentioned that blue meth was rumored to once again be appearing in Europe and was even more sure of it after interrogating Badger and Skinny Pete about the new source of the blue meth in the car after threatening Elliot and Gretchen Schwartz. Although he wasn't absolutely certain, he strongly suspected that Jesse was alive and cooking meth for the neo-nazis when he entered Jack's clubhouse.

by Anonymousreply 34810/04/2013

Fair enough, R438. Regardless of his intent upon arrival, he took pity on him and ducked him down as soon as the guns went off.

by Anonymousreply 34910/04/2013

I think Vince G. said that Walt was intending to kill Jesse along with the Nazis up until the moment they locked eyes after Todd dragged Jesse into the room in chains. He saw that Jesse was a captive and he decided in that moment to try and make it right. Walt was all about making things as right as he possibly could in the Felina episode.

by Anonymousreply 35010/04/2013

[quote]Breading Bad

That happened to me once. I was in a hurry to make fried catfish for dinner and accidentally grabbed the rye bread crumbs instead of the Panko.

My dinner party was ruined.

by Anonymousreply 35110/04/2013

[quote]That show's fans didn't receive closure with that fade to black.

It wasn't a fade. It was as abrupt and immediate as a shot in the back of the head.

by Anonymousreply 35210/04/2013

Yet another outrageous BB finale theory. This one is actually somewhat feasible, if only from an interpretative point of view (since Vince G has already kind of shot it down).

by Anonymousreply 35310/04/2013

:)

by Anonymousreply 35410/04/2013

For the record--that is a paid death notice, not an obituary. An obituary is written by the paper.

by Anonymousreply 35510/04/2013

R353, lots of things wrong with that theory.

If I can give you one that hopefully shuts it down completely, Walt had no knowledge of Todd's crush on Lydia. We, the audience, barely learned about it in the last few episodes. Yet we are to believe, in Walt's death-fantasy, he concocts dialogue where Todd is complimenting Lydia's top in a flirtatious manner, before he joins them?

Norm's a gambler and doesn't know when to walk away from a losing bet.

by Anonymousreply 35610/04/2013

To be fair, The New Yorker's TV columnist came up with the same idea (and I first read it a few days ago, though it's linked at the bottom of the Buzzfeed article). Here's her take.

by Anonymousreply 35710/04/2013

R357--Her analysis makes a lot of sense to me. I was troubled by what I considered the "comic book" nature of the finale. I reconciled this feeling by convincing myself that the whole series had a comic book feeling and the finale took it to the extreme.

But nothing Gilligan has said indicates this take is what he intended. Unless scrambling the letters in "finale" was more than just a neat trick.

by Anonymousreply 35810/04/2013

R351 And I apologize again for eating 3 portions.

by Anonymousreply 35910/04/2013

I agree with R348 and R349 and think Walt knew Jesse was alive and cooking meth with the Nazis BUT it's obvious from the Felina / Finale episode that Walt had also thought Jesse was a PARTNER. Nasty Todd laughed at Walt saying this and (stupidly) decided to show Walt what Jesse really was -- a beaten up, shackled meth cooking slave and right then I think Walt wanted desperately to save Jesse.

by Anonymousreply 36010/04/2013

[quote]Walt knew Jesse was alive and cooking meth with the Nazis BUT it's obvious from the Felina / Finale episode that Walt had also thought Jesse was a PARTNER. Nasty Todd laughed at Walt saying this and (stupidly) decided to show Walt what Jesse really was -- a beaten up, shackled meth cooking slave

My God, the idiocy of today's batch of DLers is truly sad.

Todd didn't laugh, you fucking retard; it was psycho Uncle Jack who got angry at Walt and forced Todd to drag out Jesse and show Walt how wrong he was.

Todd was *always* very kind and respectful to Walt. The only thing he said was "You shouldn't have come baack here, Mr White," - not in a threatening way, but a sad, resigned way, because he knew Walt was going to be killed.

by Anonymousreply 36110/04/2013

Todd last words were about how impressed he was with mr white's machine gun contraption

by Anonymousreply 36210/04/2013

Does everyone know that Uncle Jack played Tommy in Valley Girl?

by Anonymousreply 36310/04/2013

People like Jesse because he is cute. He was a drug dealer and thief before he partnered with Walt. Walt saved Jesse's ass many times, and he pissed off Gus by helping Jesse.

I think if Walt was cuter people would have felt more sympathy for him.

by Anonymousreply 36410/04/2013

I don't think people like Jesse because he's cute. That's an unfair generalization to make. Most straight guys find him sympathetic too. I think people like him because he isn't evil like Walt, just incredibly damaged, and feels incredibly guilt for the bad things he did. He started off as the endearingly goofy comic relief and eventually became the moral center of the show.

by Anonymousreply 36510/04/2013

If Jesse looked like a real methhead he wouldn't have so many fangurls squeeing over him.

by Anonymousreply 36610/04/2013

I didn't feel sorry for Jesse because he came from an upper middle class family. He didn't need to be a drug dealer or criminal to support his family. He was just a punk.

by Anonymousreply 36710/04/2013

r366, Jesse had perfect white teeth. Not too realistic for a meth head.

by Anonymousreply 36810/04/2013

That's a fun piece of trivia, r363. According to imdb, he's half brother to Keith and Robert Carradine.

by Anonymousreply 36910/05/2013

[quote]My God, the idiocy of today's batch of DLers is truly sad.

Calm down. We're not talking about someone sentencing orphans to death or starting an illegal war. We're talking about someone misinterpreting a silly little TV show.

by Anonymousreply 37010/05/2013

To add to R336's theory, which I think is solid, is the fact that the Nazis probably got rid of the disc anyway. It implicated Todd, so they surely just smashed it and moved on with their lives.

Marie would only be telling the DEA that Jesse helped Hank, she couldn't tell them what he said.

Skyler didn't know much about what Jesse's role was, anyway.

Huell thinks Jesse is dead, and if the DEA can access Hank's phone, they'll see the photo for themselves.

I think Jesse might get away. It's possible.

by Anonymousreply 37110/05/2013

I did not like Felina at all! I loved the first 4 seasons of this show, but found it too depressing and implausible in the last season. I really wanted closure for Jesse who was the heart of the series, and I do not feel an abused & tortured Jesse got closure. Jesse has lost everything, and has no money, and he will most certainly suffer from PTSD for the rest of his fucking life. Having that one small moment of revenge on Todd, and then a lackluster exchange with Mr. White, before driving off was not closure enough for me. I want closure for that character. I also feel Skyler should have been made accountable in some small way for her role in everything. I really thought that Marie would end up with Holly, & that would have been punishment enough for Skyler, and that Marie would have Holly after losing Hank. I found the last season tedious, and too dark, the small moments of humor in the past seasons helped balance this show from being too depressing, but that was gone completely by the last season. The last episode was not only unsatisfying it was also one of the most boring episodes of the entire series. I really hope the spin off can give us some inkling into what will become of Jesse, and Walt's family, because the finale sure didn't. JMO.

by Anonymousreply 37210/06/2013

Why do you think Skyler should be punished more when all she did was launder money (and ended up with nothing, btw, plus she has the stigma of being associated with Walt, future potential legal issues & a baby to raise on her own)? Jesse was committing felonies well before Walt entered the picture, and he took an innocent life. He deserves nothing.

by Anonymousreply 37310/06/2013

r372, the new show is a PREquel, which means it all happened before Breaking Bad started.

by Anonymousreply 37410/06/2013

Camryn Manheim will be playing a wacky, chain-smoking psychic on the spin-off. She and Saul will team up to solve mysterious crimes. That sort of thing. But she'll probably have insight into things that will happen to Jesse et al in the future.

by Anonymousreply 37510/06/2013

[quote]I don't think people like Jesse because he's cute. That's an unfair generalization to make. Most straight guys find him sympathetic too.

R365, that is not a good argument. Straight people also automatically like attractive people of the same sex better than unattractive ones. It's human nature.

by Anonymousreply 37610/06/2013

R372, I think it was a fitting end for Jesse and pretty good closure. I watched the pilot again before the finale and I forgot that Walt blackmailed Jesse into cooking with him initially. So, in a way, Jesse getting his freedom made the show come full circle.

by Anonymousreply 37710/06/2013

I miss Walt already.

by Anonymousreply 37810/08/2013

[quote] I loved the first 4 seasons of this show, but found it too depressing and implausible in the last season.

You mean you found the first 4 seasons plausible? Awww Honey, they were wonderfully entertaining but not plausible for a second.

by Anonymousreply 37910/08/2013

After having some time to digest, I have to say Felina disappointed me.

I am going to go with that New Yorker writer's theory that Walt more or less died in the penultimate episode and Felina was just his closure fantasies. Yeah, there are holes there, but it's the only way I can make the last episode gel with the show's overall brilliance. It was all too neat and tidy, something the show never was before the end.

by Anonymousreply 38010/08/2013

Then whatever you do, R380, don't read or watch any interviews with Gilligan. He is very clear cut and definite about what happens.

by Anonymousreply 38110/08/2013

With some time to reflect, Walter's decision to go back and make things right does feel like a bit of a stretch, especially since he had evolved into such a monster by the end of the show, but I really do think it was one of the greatest series finales of all time, even if it maybe wasn't as bleak as it should've been, and the somewhat happy ending felt slightly undeserved.

by Anonymousreply 38210/08/2013

But, again, splitting hairs.

by Anonymousreply 38310/08/2013

R381: I believe that once a book/movie/painting/etc is finished, the creator's interpretation has no more weight than the interpretation of any other dedicated reader/viewer/fan. So while I love Gilligan and loved hearing his views throughout the series, now that the show is finished his view of what it all means is now no more valid than mine or yours (considering we give the text the time it deserves).

by Anonymousreply 38410/08/2013

R380 is a blowhard who watches too much TV and takes it all too seriously. Probably takes *everything* too seriously and has a lot of cats. That said, great show and pretty good finale.

by Anonymousreply 38510/08/2013

I don't understand why anyone thinks it was remotely a happy ending. Everyone's lives are ruined -- yes, even Jesse. Walt's family may or may not get the money, but they're traumatized and wounded emotionally for the rest of their lives. Jesse will not just bounce back from months of torture and the knowledge of his own murders to go do woodworking in Alaska -- he is a crazed wounded animal, as we saw in the last glimpse of him. He has never been a stable person, and he's sure as hell not going to become one now. Sure, Walt looked contented and at peace at the end, but he's insane, as most of us figured out some time ago. He always had the ability to get what he wanted when he was cornered. He had that kind of mind. He was also maniacally willing to kill anyone who got between him and what he wanted. He didn't redeem or transform himself before he died.

I'm not saying I wasn't rooting for him to take out the bad guys and gal, but this was an epic tragedy, not a happy ending.

by Anonymousreply 38610/08/2013

Part of me wishes Gilligan hadn't introduced Jack and the gang. They were so much worse than Walt that most of us wanted Walt to win. They replaced Walt at the big bad of the show and made him more sympathetic. It was easier to forget all his horrible deeds.

by Anonymousreply 38710/08/2013

The finale reminded me of figure skaters whose routines are clearly about getting the maximum points, but who don't really feel or express the music.

You can practically see them counting in their heads "beat, beat, beat, JUMP...beat, beat, beat, JUMP."

It seemed Gilligan had a checklist of things he knew the viewers wanted to see, and he went with the plot that would let him check off most of the items on the list.

It's certainly admirable that he wanted to give the fans what they wanted, though. He does seem like a sweetie in interviews.

I too would enjoy "Felina" more if I saw it as Walt's near-death fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 38810/08/2013

I would have enjoyed Felina more if Walt had closure with his son. Even though Walt became a jerk I believe he still loved his family.

by Anonymousreply 38910/08/2013

Walt needs to BELIEVE he loves his family, which is not the same thing as actually loving them.

He apparently built his whole identity around the idea he's the nerdy "good Dad" nice guy. He seems to have done this when his professional life didn't pan out. "I might not be a master of the universe, but I'm a good Dad and a good guy."

Some even speculated he became a teacher so Flynn would have good medical benefits, possibly precluding his getting another high-powered research job.

But does he really love his family? Hard to say. I would lean towards "no," considering how much danger he put them in.

by Anonymousreply 39010/08/2013

Someone way upthread wished that somehow Gus had been kept alive and that's who Walt had to come back to kill. Uncle Jack and Lydia and the Nazis just weren't all that interesting, not compared to Gus, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 39110/08/2013

I just wanted Gus to blink, just once.

by Anonymousreply 39210/09/2013

This show died when Gus died IMO. The Nazi's and Lydia were lame and inadequate compared to Gus. I wish I had skipped the last season completely, not one episode did I enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 39310/10/2013

[quote]Someone way upthread wished that somehow Gus had been kept alive and that's who Walt had to come back to kill. Uncle Jack and Lydia and the Nazis just weren't all that interesting, not compared to Gus, anyway.

The interesting thing is that in the Saul prequel all those characters would still be alive. I would love to see Gus again, even Todd and Uncle Jack would be fun to see in their younger days.

by Anonymousreply 39410/10/2013

I realize that part of Walt's persona was being a family man, but I still believe he did love his family and losing them was a big blow. I wanted him to make up with Junior before he died. Otherwise the ending was just about perfect.

I was never a big Jesse fan as I thought he was kind of a punk. But his driving away made me feel good, though I think his life is always going to be screwed up.

by Anonymousreply 39510/10/2013

I loved the song they opened with but hated the one they closed with.

by Anonymousreply 39610/10/2013

[quote] Part of me wishes Gilligan hadn't introduced Jack and the gang

He had to. Walt killed everyone else. He destroyed the provision and distribution network that Gus had so meticulously built. But Walter had to kill Gus. Gus had Gale in the lab and planned to kill Walter off -- like, now. He went to Gale and said to him, "How many more cooks do you need with Walter before you can do it yourself?" and Gale said, "One more." It was kill or be killed.

Walter had a bad relationship with Gus. If he'd worked at the relationship, maybe it would have been better. but Walts ego got in the way.

Once Gus was gone, it was like a nuclear bomb went off, destroyed meth civilization and left everyone in meth Stone Age. And the neonazis were the meth Neanderthals.

The first 3 series were the best. I think Gilligan would have wrapped it up sooner but AMC wanted more seasons, so he overstretched it, like a tight rubber band that's a little flaccid at one end. I'm glad Gilligan at least resolved a lot of things. It's not a perfect series but it was very, very good.

Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 39710/10/2013

The closing song was so appropriate because of the ultimate fate of the main members of Badfinger.

by Anonymousreply 39810/10/2013

I really loved the song they closed with...it was so appropriate, I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 39910/10/2013

Do elaborate r398

by Anonymousreply 40010/10/2013

r400, Badfinger was ripped off by their management and two band members ended up commiting suicide.

by Anonymousreply 40110/12/2013

A message from Anthony Hopkins to Cranston and Co.

by Anonymousreply 40210/14/2013

I feel kind of bad for Hopkins that his fan letter went viral.

by Anonymousreply 40310/19/2013

I feel kind of bad for Giancarlo Esposito that he didn't get mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 40410/19/2013

I have wondered if Giancarlo Esposito is kind of a jerk or maybe he is just more stand offish? The cast seems so close in interviews but didn't get that vibe with him.

by Anonymousreply 40510/19/2013

He seems to get along very well with Aaron Paul. They are always hugging, and even shared a peck on the lips when Aaron won his Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 40610/20/2013

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Giancarlo. Vince raved about how nice he is in real life. He (Giancarlo) did an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit awhile back and took the time to upload video responses to some of the questions.

by Anonymousreply 40710/20/2013

I feel bad for Hopkins, too. I think he took an ambien.

by Anonymousreply 40810/20/2013

I was thinking yesterday about why this episode was so satisfying (while well constructed, it is still far in artistic greatness from Ozymadias, I'll be the first to admit). I think it's because, at least in part, it satisfies our need to believe in a just world (ie, the Just-World Hypothesis); every character, in the end gets their just (in the viewers mind) rewards. When Walt examines the neo-nazi's meth gear and Badfinger's song starts up "Guess I got what I deserved..." it sums up both his life's arc and that of most of the characters in the episode. We feel that the scales are balanced.

by Anonymousreply 40910/20/2013

Why should Hopkins feel bad about speaking the truth? I think BC's acting is right up there with Bette Davis or Brando...

by Anonymousreply 41010/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.