Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

John Dall from Hitchcock' Rope and Spartacus.

I saw him last night in Gun Crazy (1950). So handsome and a pretty good actor. I wonder if audiences back then knew that he was gay. He had great chemistry with Peggy Cummings but was still 'very sensitive' in his portrayal. Very obvious that he was gay. He reappeared many years later in Spartacus and died in his 50s. Could not find much on him on the internet. I think he was as good as Montgomery Clift. Sad that he did not left a more enduring mark. But of course, there will always be Rope. Some DL movie experts must have more info on this great gay actor ?

by Anonymousreply 1010/15/2013

I doubt audiences knew, but Hollywood did, and it perhaps hurt his career. He had a successful stage career, actually more successful than what he did in films.

Fortunately Gun Crazy is considered a classic today, and as you say, he was in Rope.

I always liked his speaking voice.

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

He was a hot little bitch but I never liked him as an actor very much. I recently watched The Corn is Green, for which he actually received an oscar nomination, and found his performance to be kind of hammy. Joan Lorring also overacted in that movie and was also nominated, but at least her performance as Bette Davis' cook's slutty daughter was fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 209/30/2013

HIs career really petered out after GUN CRAZY. Not much success on Broadway, either. I wonder how he survived? He died when he was only 52.

by Anonymousreply 309/30/2013

Sort of a weak face.

by Anonymousreply 409/30/2013

John Dall

by Anonymousreply 509/30/2013

He was the victim du jour on this morning's MeTV episode of "Perry Mason."

by Anonymousreply 609/30/2013

BDF for days.

by Anonymousreply 709/30/2013

I rented "Gun Crazy" from Netflix because of this thread.

Loved the movie and there was an excellent commentary from a film historian named Glenn Erickson.

I thought John Dall was very interesting to watch. Very natural quality to his acting and to me he was sexy. Must of have been the "very sensitive" quality OP talked about.

I don't remember him from "Rope" so I will watch that again. I've never seen "The Corn is Green" for some reason (love Bette/love old movies), will it tarnish my view of Dall?

by Anonymousreply 810/15/2013

He was no match for the gorgeous Farley Granger

by Anonymousreply 910/15/2013

I think he also had a brief marriage.

by Anonymousreply 1010/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!