Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cell Phone And Contracts

I'm "poor" but I would like a smartphone. I don't have $600 for a phone. I hear "free iPhone 4 with contract" but the contracts are all twice the price of their own month by month plan, which I find odd since they aren't guaranteed a payment every month. AT&T has a $50 Monthly Unlimited Plan but on contract it's $90 so where's the free phone? What's a boy to do? Wait until Black Friday price wars?

by Anonymousreply 2910/01/2013

Sorry, you lost me at 'I'm poor'. Never lead with 'I'm poor'.

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2013

If you are as poor as you claim, you can't afford a smart phone. It's a waste of money that is best spent elsewhere. Nobody needs a smart phone.

And nothing is free. You're paying for the "free" phone through the contract price.

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

I rarely absolutely, positively need a cell phone. but when I have, I have just asked to borrow the next person I see's cell phone.

71.75% of the people in the USA carry these things now, smart or otherwise, and I see no reason to worry my checking account's pretty little balance about paying for one of my own.

Definitely a mere convenience ... RARELY a necessity.

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

Yes r6, a cheap phone may be had, but how much is it per month?

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

People who are shelling out for these expensive phones are the same ones complaining they can't afford to buy health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

Did you look at Boost or Metro PCS?

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

If you're paying for DL, God only knows where else you're throwing away your money.

by Anonymousreply 1309/29/2013

Owning a home outright? Sorry you're missing out on all the mortgage interest deductions...

by Anonymousreply 1509/29/2013

I've been with Boost for about three years now and my partner has been with them for about five.

We both have Android smartphones with unlimited, text, data, etc.. Well, it's not truly unlimited - if you go over a certain data threshold, they reduce the speed. But even as fairly heavy data users, we don't come anywhere near the threshold. We each pay $40 a month with their "shrinkage" plan. For a little bit more, you can add international calling or make your phone into a wifi hotspot (if you have a model capable).

They don't have iPhones, but otherwise, they've got a pretty good selection of phones.

We got his father a Boost mobile phone and plan over the summer, too.

by Anonymousreply 1709/29/2013

If you can afford to invest in real property and buy every latest gimmick then go for it. But when OP initially States he wants something that he can't afford because he is poor he quite possibly doesn't have his priorities straight. This is how people get overwhelmed and into financial trouble. Get it?

by Anonymousreply 1809/29/2013

r18. I get it. I have an android 3G phone and its pay as you go. I paid 65.00 for it. It's 25.00 a month. Unlimited text and internet and 300 minutes. I text everyone so rarely run out of minutes. You can also pay as you want. I pay through direct withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 1909/29/2013

Last year I paid full price for my Galaxy SII, but I have the Walmart T-Mobile monthly "pay as you go" plan.

Good: For $30 I get unlimited web and text (up to 5GB high-speed; I never use that much), with 100 minutes of talk time. I rarely use my cell for calls, but I text and email quite a bit so the plan is perfect for me.

Bad: You have to buy a phone at Walmart. The store does carry some inexpensive phones that are eligible for the plan.

by Anonymousreply 2109/29/2013

i waitress and found a blackberry and nobody claimed it for over a week so I kept it and used it, it lasted me over 6 years and I had a pay as you go contract with t-mobile.

It finally died on me and I bought a new blackberry, yes it was 600 bucks but it was worth it because I can't type on touchscreen and i use it mainly for textng. it has a great camera too. So it's basically a phone and camera for me.

I don't use those fancy apps or check in at places etc. I still use pay as you go.

by Anonymousreply 2209/29/2013

R10, who are you to question how poor people spend our money?

by Anonymousreply 2309/29/2013

R22, how long are your nails?

by Anonymousreply 2409/29/2013

i am in mgmt, i send dozens of texts and emails, blackberry keyboard makes my life easier.

by Anonymousreply 2509/29/2013

[quote]I have a cell phone from Jitterbug. Phone is free. No contract. Approximately 16 dollars a month. I get one half hour calling per month but accumulates. Phone is only a phone no pictures or computer. It is mostly for emergencies. I am not impressed by fancy phones. I also own a home outright because I don't feel the neceseity to indulge in trends.

I think we've found the oldest living Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 2709/29/2013

I might wait two months for Black Friday, or go ahead and check out the Android phones on Amazon, OP. I got a Motorola Droid Razr M for 1 cent during Black Friday last year - it's been a great phone, no complaints (though if you live in California, you have to pay tax on the full retail price of the phone, which was $50). I'm sure they have deals on other Android phones running year round - e.g. right now there are 1 cent Motorola Admiral and HTC EVO LTE phones if you get a contract.

by Anonymousreply 2910/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!