Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Sunset Blvd.- The Musical" Will they ever make a film version , or will it take almost 30 years, like "Chicago ?

And who will star ? Streep, or Streisand, or ?

by Joe Gillisreply 7012/24/2013

Lindsay Lohan. You read it here first.

by Joe Gillisreply 109/29/2013

Miley Cyrus

by Joe Gillisreply 209/29/2013

What would be the point?

by Joe Gillisreply 309/29/2013

Again Glenn Close has first right refusal

by Joe Gillisreply 409/29/2013

as do we the audience r4

by Joe Gillisreply 509/29/2013

In perpetuity?

by Joe Gillisreply 609/29/2013

Yes in perpetuity, because the penalty is in millions of dollars.

Glenn also owns a piece of the Sunset Blvd franchise.

Anywhere it plays, she makes money.

by Joe Gillisreply 709/29/2013

It's not even that good of a musical in the first place. Besides a few songs, it's kinda blah. The only cool thing about it on stage was the set. Yet another show where Lloyd Webber tries to hide the fact that he's a hack with special effects and amazing sets.

Isn't Madonna pretty much Norma Desmond at this point anyway? Why not update the story and make it about a crazy has been pop star who gets with a hot, young music writer?

by Joe Gillisreply 809/29/2013

R8 Shades of Babs' version of "A Star is Born." Ugh.

by Joe Gillisreply 909/29/2013

The more time passes, the less likely that we'll see "Sunset Blvd: The Musical" in film form.

Soon, silent movies will have been dead for 100 years, and interest in classic films is fading. The young people the studios want to attract to theaters have never seen a silent film, or "Sunset Blvd".

by Joe Gillisreply 1009/29/2013

[quote]The more time passes, the less likely that we'll see "Sunset Blvd: The Musical" in film form.

Chicago took 27 years, Sweeney Todd, 28 years, & Into The Woods 27 years to reach the screen.

by Joe Gillisreply 1109/29/2013

[quote]Again Glenn Close has first right refusal

Voided by the clause covering wheel chairs and even scooters.

by Joe Gillisreply 1209/29/2013

I doubt anybody thinks it would make enough money. They could do a version for cable.

Once Close has retired.

by Joe Gillisreply 1309/29/2013

If they're going to spend half a billion dollars on a movie musical that nobody's going to see, I'd rather it be "Follies."

A film version of "Follies" would be an opportunity to work through some of its libretto problems. I actually like "Sunset Boulevard" the stage musical but I don't think it's crying out to be made into a film.

by Joe Gillisreply 1409/29/2013

Yes. I always think when hearing "Waiting For The Girls Upstairs" how dynamic it could be on film.

It's a pity the new Sondheim doc doesn't stage that number.

by Joe Gillisreply 1509/29/2013

R16 One can only imagine the cameos ... it will be like the introductory segments to "That's Entertainment."

by Joe Gillisreply 1709/29/2013

[quote] They want to set Follies in the late 70s with the backdrop being the closing of a film studio

That was the plan back in the 70s. I don't know if that was kept for the version Aaaron Sorkin was working on.

by Joe Gillisreply 1809/29/2013

That is what they want to do R17

by Joe Gillisreply 1909/29/2013

Personally, i would LOVE to see a film version of "Mack and Mabel"

Everyone seems to have forgotten about this gem

by Joe Gillisreply 2009/29/2013

Indifference isn't the same thing as forgetting, Jerry.

by Joe Gillisreply 2109/29/2013

Won't ever be made in to film because the general public understands what only die-hard theatre queens refuse to accept : the film was a classic because it was great story done in the perfect medium(film) for that story and perfectly directed and acted. NOTHING can improve on it -- certainly not turning it in to a stage musical. Certain work should be left alone because it's perfect -- a book, a film, a classic play --and NOT meant to be turned in to a Broadway musical or an opera or (shudder) a ballet.

by Joe Gillisreply 2209/29/2013

You Follies queens are insufferable.

by Joe Gillisreply 2309/29/2013

I'd like to see a remake of the film itself. They've remade everything else. I know it is heresy but I thought it was Swanson playing Swanson, with the exception of the one scene where she forgets herself (don't know if it was Swanson or Norma forgot herself) but the one where she's lying with him on the sofa and giggling about Mabel Norman stepping on her feet. The rest of the time she was just Carol Burnett's homework.

I recognize it was the style of the era and the genre.

Still, I'd like to see Norma played by a modern actress.

by Joe Gillisreply 2409/29/2013

Follies really is far more deserving of the film treatment. They need to fix the script a bit. It really has no plot. Any ideas how they could even begin to do that?

by Joe Gillisreply 2509/29/2013

Make it sung through!

by Joe Gillisreply 2609/29/2013

Ah the magic of the musical...

Of course, Gloria had songs written for a musical version first. Then Stephen considered it as a musical for Angela Lansbury. Billy told him it needed to be made into an opera.

For all the harping, it is my favorite ALW show.

And if you are doing a remake of Sunset Boulevard, you might as well do the musical version, IMHO.

Sadly, Barbra is a little old for it now. Madonna, is the right age. (Norma's supposed to be 50.)

by Joe Gillisreply 2709/29/2013

It really is about finding a star that was beloved (or at least liked) and using that the way Wilder used Swanson.

If they'd done it 15-20 years ago Doris Day would have been a great choice.

Who qualifies now?

by Joe Gillisreply 2809/29/2013

Why bother? The original film was perfect and the musical version was bland except for the Norma songs.

by Joe Gillisreply 2909/29/2013

[quote]Madonna, is the right age. (Norma's supposed to be 50.)

And Norma presumably had a voice that couldn't transition to talkies, so Vadge would be perfect in a musical version. Her triumph in Evita alone...

by Joe Gillisreply 3009/29/2013

R30 I love you. Meanwhile, what happened to Bab's " Gypsy" ? Seriously, did she abandon the idea ? At this rate, she'll be 75 when they go into production. She should dump that idea, and just do SB.

by Joe Gillisreply 3110/05/2013

While it's not officially off, but it seems Babs' Gypsy has gone by the way side. She said something about Sondheim being the hold up, which makes sense considering he's a very smart man and realizes what a hot mess this could be. Gypsy already has not one, but two lousy filmed versions. I think it deserves a good adaptation for once and I don't think Babs' version is gonna be it.

A shame, too, cause, in the 80's, she might have been wonderful.

by Joe Gillisreply 3210/05/2013

I AM wonderful's the decades that got older

by Joe Gillisreply 3310/05/2013

[quote]She said something about Sondheim being the hold up, which makes sense considering he's a very smart man and realizes what a hot mess this could be.

Sweetie, peddle hat horsehit somewhere else. Sondheim is on film praising Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett in "Sweeney Todd" and she had as much right playing that role as Myley Cyrus does playing Norma Desmond. He has worked with Streisand before, hell, his voice is on her Broadway album. The man would only complain if his checked bounced.

by Joe Gillisreply 3410/05/2013

Say what you want, Glenn was terrific in Sunset.

by Joe Gillisreply 3510/05/2013

"Say what you want, Glenn was terrific in Sunset."

Well, since you gave me permission, Glenn Close is the Paula Abdul of the Broadway stage. Awful voice.

And that face? That face! Perfect face for a bukake film, never again the screen.

by Joe Gillisreply 3610/05/2013

I was I think it was one of about five people who actually liked the "Evita" film and thought Madonna was an all right Evita, but then in the context of the show she's a completely two-dimensional character, so it was within Madonna's skill set dramatically speaking (obviously she couldn't sing it worth shit, but that's another thread.) I think you could do Norma onscreen with an actress who wasn't that much of a singer, but she has to be an absolutely thrilling actress who you can easily believe was a knockout beauty in her day. Miranda Richardson or Judy Davis could do it.

by Joe Gillisreply 3710/05/2013

I think you could do "Follies" set in 1970 without disorienting low-information audiences too much. I'm thinking maybe an opening sequence that shows the different major characters (Sally, Phyllis, Carlotta, etc.) in the process of packing, traveling, preparing for the party, while TV and radio coverage of the upcoming event play in the background. You could have Weissmann on a "Good Morning, America" type program saying his introductory speech in the context of an interview, interspersed with photos and newsreel clips of the original Weissmann girls (they could show a shot of young Phyllis and Sally as showgirls, a silent clip of the "Mirror" number, mention that TV star Carlotta Carlyle is expected to be there, with a clip from her hit show.) You could show Phyllis going through her elegant dressing rooms choosing a gown and Sally at the airport arguing with Buddy. Lots of vintage 1970s cheese, all grounded in sordid reality. And then Sally steps into Weissmann's haunted theater, where there's no sense of time and no one sees anything but their own illusions.

by Joe Gillisreply 3810/05/2013

[quote] TV star Carlotta Carlyle

Carlyle? CARLYLE??!

by Joe Gillisreply 3910/05/2013

"And Norma presumably had a voice that couldn't transition to talkies"

There was nothing wrong with Norma Desmond's voice, except for an affected hoity-toity way of speaking. Presumably Norma's career went the way Gloria Swanson's had, fading because of changing tastes, not because of any fault of hers... which is one of the things that fed her delusions about a comeback.

by Joe Gillisreply 4010/05/2013

Streep or Streisand. Norma is 50 - five, o. Fifty.

When they finally get around to it it will probably star a 20 years too old Abigail Breslin.

by Joe Gillisreply 4110/05/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Joe Gillisreply 4210/05/2013

[quote] Glenn also owns a piece of the Sunset Blvd franchise.

I think you're confusing Glenn with Kyle Richards, who owns a large percentage of it.

by Joe Gillisreply 4310/05/2013

[quote] Presumably Norma's career went the way Gloria Swanson's had, fading because of changing tastes, not because of any fault of hers... which is one of the things that fed her delusions about a comeback.

Norma Desmond lost her career because she was fucking nutz.

by Joe Gillisreply 4410/05/2013

Glenn of course. Just look at her, she looks so young and fresh for the part.

by Joe Gillisreply 4512/23/2013

When Anne Hathaway is 50, she can star in the musical version!

by Joe Gillisreply 4612/23/2013

In an TV interview Lloyd Webber said he wanted Madonna to do the film version

by Joe Gillisreply 4712/23/2013

Again Glenn Close has first right refusal. And if she is passed over, the penalty is in the MILLIONS.

by Joe Gillisreply 4812/23/2013

They should do a film version where Norma is the only one who sings. Because only her songs are any good. It can be like Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, in that respect.

by Joe Gillisreply 4912/23/2013

R48 Where did you get this info?

by Joe Gillisreply 5012/23/2013

Unless it's a gay version, I'm not interested.

by Joe Gillisreply 5112/23/2013

R49 You're right, only two excellent songs for Norma so either rewritten score or the way you suggested.

by Joe Gillisreply 5212/23/2013

R51 Richard Simmons would be ideal for Norma.

by Joe Gillisreply 5312/23/2013

Who would play Joe Gillis? I used to want Keanu Reeves. I don't know who could play the naïve girlfriend.

by Joe Gillisreply 5412/23/2013

Tom Hardy for Joe Gillis!

by Joe Gillisreply 5512/23/2013

R54 Isn't Keanu old enough to play Norma? 50? Keanu could play Norma and Joseph G-L Joe.

by Joe Gillisreply 5612/23/2013

Keanu as Joe. David Geffen as Norma. Joni Mitchell as Max.

by Joe Gillisreply 5712/23/2013

Sorry but I don't think Tom Hardy is attractive.

by Joe Gillisreply 5812/23/2013

That's ok. Joe's not meant to be an everyday beefcake type.

by Joe Gillisreply 5912/23/2013

It's hard for me to enjoy third-time-around film versions of stage-musical versions of original films. My Fair Lady (a slightly different twist because it started as a straight play) got it half right because they changed the play considerably and even called Pygmalion something else.

But Hairspray and The Producers should have remained the original comedic films that happened to have music that they were.

I don't thing Sunset Blvd. will fair any better

by Joe Gillisreply 6012/23/2013

It undoubtedly won't. The original film is in a different league to The Producers and Hairspray originals.

by Joe Gillisreply 6112/23/2013

But in the old (great) film...Norma looked 60 and Joe looked 40, IMO.

by Joe Gillisreply 6212/23/2013

R57 Has the best cast choice. Let's get this thing done.

by Joe Gillisreply 6412/24/2013

James Marsden for Joe Gillis.

He has a fine tenor voice, he's good-looking enough that you totally see why an old lecher is into him, and he looks younger than his actual age.

by Joe Gillisreply 6512/24/2013

I saw Betty Buckley do it on Broadway, and thought she was wonderful. Friends who saw her, Close, and LuPone said that Buckley was the most successful of the three because she could sing the songs and act the role--the others could do one or the other.

Not suggesting Buckley--by now, she could play all the roles in her private interior "theatre," no doubt. Maybe Quenvenzhane Wallis? Or Shani Wallis, for that matter?

ABB (Anyone But Beyonce).

by Joe Gillisreply 6612/24/2013

R28- since when is ALW a set designer? He writes tunes. That is all. They're some nice tunes, in fact.

by Joe Gillisreply 6712/24/2013

I have the perfect Joe Gillis. There's isn't much of an age difference. But black don't crack, and white, well...

by Joe Gillisreply 6912/24/2013

R57 has a great idea.

by Joe Gillisreply 7012/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!