Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay HBO Series “Looking” Begins Filming In San Francisco, Locals Are Thrilled

“I’d love to write a regular column, like a gay Sex and the City,” said every gay 20-something writer in their first pitch to a major outlet. Luckily, when HBO decided to give a certain writer with the same vision the greenlight on a primetime series, the network made an excellent choice trusting their new “gay Sex and the City“ in the hands of buzzworthy writer/director Andrew Haigh.

The new show, Looking, reportedly follows an all-gay (or gay for pay?) cast looking for love in the “City by the Bay.” Production had San Franciscans getting excited last weekend as camera crews and star actors Jonathan Groff and Russell Tovey took to the streets to begin filming the show’s pilot. As you can see in the clip below, even straight folks at KTVU are hard up for Looking because it will bring “big business” to the city.

Some onlookers had different thoughts about the new show, one even claimed it may be “past it’s time.” According to a random passerby in tinted prescription glasses and an NFL jersey, Looking is so over because “somebody should have done it a few years ago.”

But we say nay to the nay-sayers! This show sounds like it will be pretty progressive, and at least the producers are casting a wide variety of diverse gay men, including “real military men…willing to get tight, military-style haircut” and “hipsters…able to pull of Hipster vibe with your own clothes and styling.”

A gay actor starring in an HBO series about gay hipsters hooking up with military men in San Francisco? We’re sold.

by Anonymousreply 7611/11/2013

No wonder that little slut Tovey is wearing a commitment band now. His bf is afraid he'll be fucking all of SanFran.

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

Video at link.

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2013

His boyfriend is right, get Tovey drunk and he will fuck.the first guy that flirts with him.

Anyway, really curious to see how this shown turns out. I've heard conflicting things about the pilot script. I really hope they surprise me and it manages to be good.

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2013

I hope it's good.

But nobody who lives in SF goes to Union Square.

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

You mean the first WHITE gay Sex and the City.

Noah's Arc did the black one.

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

Why can't they film it in MY city, so I can fuck Russell Tovey. Damn it to fuck!

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

Hopefully since Tovey and Groff are involved and are ACTUALLY gay, we can expect some good and non-exploitative storylines.

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

I would watch Tovey read the phone book. I love his dopey, big-eared persona. His transformation to muscleslut is almost sad to see. Check out his twitter feed for a slew of pics of him and his trainer. Who's his boyfriend, by the way?

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

This guy. I don't think he's in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

Thank you, r9.

I'm so disappointed. He doesn't look anything like me. *sigh*

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

r10

The boyfriend's losing his hair, if that's any consolation

by Anonymousreply 1109/29/2013

I don't Tovey really has a type outside of vaguely "blokey".

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

The French bulldog is adorable, R11 R9.

by Anonymousreply 1309/29/2013

Tovey goes no where without the dog, even bringing it on television. It's so contrived. He's doing those sad women who walk around with their puppies in their arm.

by Anonymousreply 1409/29/2013

I, too, have male pattern baldness, r11 (though I had the common sense to buzz my head). I very much appreciate your effort to cheer me, though.

by Anonymousreply 1509/29/2013

R14: "I wish Russell would tuck ME under his arm and take ME everywhere he goes."

by Anonymousreply 1609/29/2013

Tovey was fucking married men at one point.

He's all into his arms. He's shown his biceps off at every given opportunity for the past ten years even when he had next to no muscle. It's like he puts his idea of masculinity into them.

He's one of these gay guys who doesn't want to be associated with "those" types of gays, you know, the really embarrassing camp ones. He's said this publicly for years.

This thing with the dog - he thinks he's being endearing, but it's all painfully contrived. He's not the brightest bulb.

He got this HBO gig thanks to Andrew Haigh.

by Anonymousreply 1709/29/2013

[quote]He's one of these gay guys who doesn't want to be associated with "those" types of gays

One of the g0yim.

by Anonymousreply 1809/29/2013

[quote] He's one of these gay guys who doesn't want to be associated with "those" types of gays, you know, the really embarrassing camp ones. He's said this publicly for years.

He's been rather graceless on that point. But he's fucked too many chorus boys to be anti-flamer.

by Anonymousreply 1909/29/2013

[quote] He got this HBO gig thanks to Andrew Haigh.

Which was nice of Haigh considering he was rebuffed when he tried to get Tovey for WEEKEND.

by Anonymousreply 2009/29/2013

Michael Lannan posts a lot of sweet photos from filming:

by Anonymousreply 2109/29/2013

Tovey is just being honest, those sentiments aren't that unusual from a lot of more masculine gay dudes. I've heard many times that Tovey is a bit dim, which considering most actors aren't especially intelligent in the first place that is saying something.

Andrew Haigh has tons of good will from me based on "Weekend", Groff has said in interviews that he is heavily involved in the series, reaching past his official involvement with just directing the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 2209/29/2013

The statements show a lack of self-awareness on Tovey's part. What I like about him is his mix of masculine-feminine. For example, his Essex blokiness in contrast to the little falsetto he often goes into, not to mention the fact that he cries at the drop of a hat.

by Anonymousreply 2309/29/2013

Great. I can't wait for yet another cast of "gay" characters that I have nothing in common with and cannot relate to in the least.

Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 2409/29/2013

r24

You should make your own web series.

by Anonymousreply 2509/29/2013

Another photo:

by Anonymousreply 2609/29/2013

R25, I have neither the talent nor the resources...

by Anonymousreply 2709/29/2013

A few more:

by Anonymousreply 2809/29/2013

The last photos I'll post right now I promise:

by Anonymousreply 2909/29/2013

Web series can be pretty rough - technically. I wouldn't be intimidated if I were you.

by Anonymousreply 3009/29/2013

A threesome with Groff and Tovey would be ace.

by Anonymousreply 3109/29/2013

I work at a major network and we're doing a reality pilot in NYC with a bunch of superhot, masculine, and DIVERSE gay guys. A couple of black dudes, couple whites, one is Latino I think. I met the guys, and they're totally hot, really cool, and have different careers. A few are ex military. If this goes the right way, it will make "Looking" and its "white upper middle class gays in an expensive city" motif look extremely dated.

by Anonymousreply 3209/29/2013

Be an attractive guy in San Francisco right now and who knows, crazier things have happened.

by Anonymousreply 3309/29/2013

[quote]a bunch of superhot, masculine, and DIVERSE gay guys

If they're all superhot and masculine, then they're not very diverse, now are they?

by Anonymousreply 3409/29/2013

How do u know u will not be able to relate to the characters, r27?

by Anonymousreply 3509/29/2013

Diverse as long as they're superhot, ey?

by Anonymousreply 3609/29/2013

They have filming at the Clay Park Tower. I hope they don't think they can pass off Franklin/Clay as Dolores. And SF Mary is right -- no one who lives here goes to Union Square. I'm sure the show is better than it sounds, but my expectations are low.

by Anonymousreply 3709/29/2013

Exactly, r34.

by Anonymousreply 3809/29/2013

R32-In some ways “reality” shows are more reflective of American life than even acclaimed cable shows.

by Anonymousreply 3909/29/2013

[quote]Which was nice of Haigh considering he was rebuffed when he tried to get Tovey for WEEKEND.

Receipts please.

by Anonymousreply 4009/29/2013

Oh dear R39, thankfully my life is not a bunch of bullshit drama populated by loud narcissists.

by Anonymousreply 4109/29/2013

[quote]Tovey is just being honest, those sentiments aren't that unusual from a lot of more masculine gay dudes.

Oh, please, Tovey is a big queen himself. It reeks of self-loathing, and his father wanted to get him treated to cure his homosexuality. He didn't grow up in a progressive environment, and I'm sure he's carried that sentiment with him.

Tovey dropped out of school, or should I say, got kicked out. He has next to no education.

His current fuck buddy, excuse me, his committed partner, is Venezuelan.

I took no issue with Tovey until I met people close to him. They were brutally honest about his character and his behavior.

And btw, I'm not somehow calling for a boycott of this show because of him. lol

by Anonymousreply 4209/29/2013

[quote]“I’d love to write a regular column, like a gay Sex and the City,” said every gay 20-something writer in their first pitch to a major outlet.

Well, that's sad (if true), since "Sex and the City" sucked.

by Anonymousreply 4309/29/2013

r40

It was a talkback for WEEKEND. I neglected to bring my tape recorder.

Tovey's agents said they weren't considering gay scripts. Later interviews with Tovey indicate that he was looking for the the "right" kind of gay role. However, I fail to see how WEEKEND wasn't considered right for him. He would have made more sense than the too-good looking guy they cast.

by Anonymousreply 4409/29/2013

You think they were "too-good looking" r44??!

Tovey has little range, so I'm glad he wasn't in it. He has steered clear of gay roles for the majority of his career. He's obviously taken this one because it's American, and because it's for HBO, and because he's been lamenting that he's seen all his "History Boys" co-stars get big careers at home and abroad, and he hasn't.

by Anonymousreply 4509/29/2013

r44

Not "they". The swimming pool guy was too good looking for the dynamic with the art student to completely work, imo.

by Anonymousreply 4609/29/2013

[quote] I took no issue with Tovey until I met people close to him. They were brutally honest about his character and his behavior.

Care to share more of that brutal honesty?

by Anonymousreply 4709/29/2013

I meant r45 at r46

by Anonymousreply 4809/29/2013

It'll be a shitty, caricature-based show abut twinky white guys. Zzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 4909/29/2013

R4 and R37 stop it. Locals go to Union Square all the time, there are swing dancing events and art shows, outdoor cinema, etc . Gimme a break please. I stroll to Union Square all the time except for today I go to Folsom Street Fair.

by Anonymousreply 5009/29/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5109/29/2013

You're so right, R32. It's a good thing "NYC" isn't "an expensive city" like SF.

by Anonymousreply 5209/29/2013

A new day and a new adorable photo courtesy of Michael Lannan's Instagram:

by Anonymousreply 5310/01/2013

Is Quinto still schtupping that model?

by Anonymousreply 5410/01/2013

I may be the only person on DL who isn't wild for Jonathan Groff, but I do like Russell Tovey. Mostly, though, I'm optimistic because of Andrew Haigh's involvement; I thought his "Weekend" was terrific.

Interesting that many articles which mention the project call it "the gay 'Girls'" and not "the gay 'Sex and the City'" -- a sign, maybe, that the sun is fast setting on references to that saga.

As an aside and plug, Chris New, one of the leads in "Weekend" is trying to fund a (straight) film that he is to direct:

by Anonymousreply 5510/01/2013

[quote] I may be the only person on DL who isn't wild for Jonathan Groff

What gave you that idea? I don't think he's even had a thread on him that's taken off.

by Anonymousreply 5610/01/2013

Folsom Street Fair filming:

by Anonymousreply 5710/01/2013

Does a leather vest look good on anyone? Very unsexy item of clothing.

by Anonymousreply 5810/01/2013

R45 which of The History Boys has gone onto bigger stardom than Russell Tovey? It seems even Dominic Whathisname's career has faltered? Who else??

by Anonymousreply 5910/01/2013

I'm playing opposite Meryl Sweep. My role is bigger than hers.

by Anonymousreply 6010/01/2013

Hello?

by Anonymousreply 6110/01/2013

Queer As Folk doesn't count.

by Anonymousreply 6210/01/2013

They could have thrown in a POC or a bear or something...four skinny white guys. Yawn.

Let's see--is Tovey the "Carrie/Dorothy" and Groff the "Charlotte/Rose" or vice versa? The ex soap guy must be the "Samantha/Blance" and the bearded schlubby one is probably "Miranda/Sophia".

I'll still watch to see if there is any hot sex. I hope Tovey jizzes on a trick's chest like Adam Driver did on "Girls".

by Anonymousreply 6310/01/2013

I think Groff is the lead, not Tovey.

Is this guy one of the actors? If so, they have a bear.

by Anonymousreply 6410/01/2013

[quote]I hope Tovey jizzes on a trick's chest like Adam Driver did on "Girls".

Which ep of "Girls"? Could you see his cock (it's gotta be yoodge)? Or his cum?

by Anonymousreply 6510/01/2013

Russell working out

by Anonymousreply 6610/01/2013

What's that in Russell's pants?

by Anonymousreply 6710/01/2013

How come James Franco didn't get a role?

by Anonymousreply 6810/01/2013

Where is this commitment bracelet that Tovey supposedly wears?

by Anonymousreply 6910/01/2013

[R65], it was toward the end of last season. He was fucking some chick doggie style, flipped her over and came on her tits. No cock, but spooge. It was a wee bit rapey, but he is so hot. (That sounds wrong, sorry)

by Anonymousreply 7010/01/2013

Sorry, PeeWee -- didn't mean to offend. I just tend to stay in my neighborhood, as do my friends. The Union Square area is less interesting to me now that the Emporium's scary rooftop Ferris wheel is gone.

by Anonymousreply 7110/01/2013

Plus the fact that it's always just swarming with tourists.

by Anonymousreply 7210/01/2013

Yeah, R64, I think Jon is the lead as well.

I think the guy in the photo is the writer/show runner...someone jokingly commented on this photo on his Instagram "#inappropriateboss" so he is the boss in some way.

by Anonymousreply 7310/01/2013

Jonathan and Tovey:

by Anonymousreply 7410/03/2013

Jonathan and Frankie J Alvarez seem to have hit it off...does anyone know much about Frankie?

by Anonymousreply 7510/12/2013

The website is up with a short teaser video:

by Anonymousreply 7611/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!