Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What do you do when you feel like you are going crazy from pressure of work?

Thoughts on calming down?

by Anonymousreply 3610/01/2013

I imagine going through the building and killing them all. Each time I come up with a new way to do it.

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

I like your style, R1.

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2013

weed

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2013

Time for a holiday

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

It's important to do something restorative for yourself, bothy mentally and physically. This weekend I am taking time off from people; I won't even talk to my friends on the phone. It's me, me, me time. Long runs are my salvation, so I'm going for one in a bit.

I am, also, going to indulge myself and buy some CDs, then spend time listening to them when I get home.

If you can't change your work environment, you have to make sure that you give yourself time to recover on your days off.

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

Re: time for a holiday. Feeling the same way as you OP. I haven't taken leave all year other than the odd day here and there and I've been snapping at people who probably didn't deserve it. Also had problems sleeping. I started two weeks leave today and can't believe the relief I felt when I walked out the door at work. The down side is that I will be worried about the backlog of work I will go back to.

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

Remind yourself that none of the crap you're going thing will matter or be remembered by anyone in 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

Go for a run. A bike ride. Anywhere outdoors.

And, if you can, time off. The sooner the better.

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

A punishing bike ride works for me. I get up to speed, and then I start going over all the things that are stressing me out while I ride. The anger gives me energy to push push PUSH HARD on the pedals, I whiz along until the anger is burned away.

I lose weight and gain fitness, too, and maybe do some errands and avoid using some gas. Bikes are good.

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

Benzos and booze.

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

R10 gets my vote for most enjoyable mode of escape, but R7 wins this thread, hands down.

by Anonymousreply 1109/29/2013

[quote] I am, also, going to indulge myself and buy some CDs, then spend time listening to them when I get home.

Please explain to the class why you chose to place commas around the word "also."

I am, also, wondering why you are still purchasing CDs and not just downloading them.

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

I'd love to, r3, but have to detox - people are getting fired right and left, where I work. Have to be ready to find something else, asap. Ditto, r6 - but we are not allowed to call off more than once every six months.

by Anonymousreply 1309/29/2013

Get a new job, OP. A better one.

In my case, I am going coo-coo at work again. Work makes me profoundly unhappy; I sent a scathing mail to my boss on Friday and didn't show up to work. We'll see what happens on Monday (tomorrow).

by Anonymousreply 1409/29/2013

It's just work.

You're just an employee.

If you get cancer and die tomorrow, your workplace will continue without you.

by Anonymousreply 1509/29/2013

I have to endure a massive workload, a manager that does not like me, plus supervise a bitch who always does as little as possible, work wise, tears flowing, a migraine, you name it she already thought of it. I listen to classical music as a respite and dream up scenarios that involve me and some of the married men on the workforce...even some of the single men, why be choosy.

by Anonymousreply 1609/29/2013

Why does work have to be so horrible... Every time I have to bear it I justify it by saying that what makes it work IS the fact that it's horrible, otherwise it would be a hobby... Still. The horror

by Anonymousreply 1809/29/2013

R17, I must have had at least 10 jobs, and only liked about 2 or 3. The one I have today is not really included, it is only bearable, but it looks like the best I can do at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 1909/29/2013

You should always be looking for a BETTER job.

You can afford to be picky. You HAVE a job.

You only leave for a better position with better pay.

Looking is free.

Great opportunities don't come around every day, but when they do, you have to be ready to jump on them.

by Anonymousreply 2009/29/2013

(R16) What is preventing me from seeking a new job. have you heard about the economy. it is lousy. One good thing about my job, I travel quite extensively and always take a European vacation during the summer. My manager was livid when I took an entire month while vacationing in Australia. The CEO thought it was wonderful, so off I went.

by Anonymousreply 2109/29/2013

Sure R20, but that actually means giving a fuck about a "career". I wish I didn't have to work. I don't give a fuck. I only do it to pay the bills. And I lie, interview after interview, about "committment" when really I could care less what happens to any structure crazy enough to employ me.

by Anonymousreply 2209/29/2013

r22 = one of those "lifer" employees who will never get promoted.

by Anonymousreply 2309/29/2013

Hit somebody.

by Anonymousreply 2409/29/2013

R23, I don't want to get promoted. Work feels indeed like a prison sentence. When the economy was better, I would work a few months, then live off unemployment, and alternate between the two for years. In 2008 I turned 30 and became a lifer. I was much happier when I worked part-time and juggled with unemployment.

by Anonymousreply 2509/29/2013

r25, there are all kinds of job. Some are even FUN.

Eample:

1) Helicopter skiing guide. You get paid to ski with people paying thousands of dollars to go with you. EVERY SINGLE DAY. Does it pay a lot? No. Is it fun? HELL YES!

2) A boing-ass hell-hole job, just like you have now, working in the back office OF AN AIRLINE! FREE FLIGHTS!!!

3) Work on a cruise ship. GET PAID TO GO ON TRIPS!

Figure it out. There are lots of fun things to do in the world, get paid to do something you like.

by Anonymousreply 2609/29/2013

"Forget your troubles come on get happy, gonna' chase all your blues away...."

by Anonymousreply 2709/29/2013

use Neibuhr's prayer (the Serenity prayer), omitting the God part if you don't believe in God.

It is very wise. Do what you can and let go -- TRULY let go -- of the rest.

I was in your shoes. Anxiety-insomnia, elevated heart rate, the works. It is interesting what can happen when you just set boundaries and put yourself first.

by Anonymousreply 2809/29/2013

Love you, R27.

Last April I got one week of sick leave and that is exactly how it went.

by Anonymousreply 2909/29/2013

I put my 2 weeks notice in for the third time. My boss talks me out of it and lightens up for a few months then the bullshit starts up all over again.

by Anonymousreply 3009/29/2013

Haha, R30. On Monday either I lose my job or it goes the same way.

by Anonymousreply 3109/29/2013

R28, those are wise words. Difficult to put into practice without a proper support network.

Is this not the prayer for AA meetings as well? Or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 3209/29/2013

OP - I remind myself that nothing I do at work will save anyone's life or result in world peace.

Then I go to the gym and swim laps.

by Anonymousreply 3309/29/2013

I had a job that almost put me in a crazy home. Long hours with VERY little time off, more and more responsibilities being piled on me with NO compensation, upper management blaming THEIR fuck ups on ME, etc.

I punched out one day and just never went back.

I took a job making less money, but my stress level is almost non-existent. I have a good work / life balance and a set schedule most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 3409/29/2013

[quote] On Monday either I lose my job or it goes the same way.

Well?

by Anonymousreply 3510/01/2013

Drink

by Anonymousreply 3610/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.