Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jennifer Saunders: Cancer Survivors Wear It Like A Badge

Jennifer Saunders has criticised cancer survivors who wear the disease "as a badge", because it is "a job you don't have to work for."

The comedian, 55, was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009 but kept her illness and treatment a secret until she was pictured at a party without her blonde wig.

The Absolutely Fabulous star received the all-clear in 2010 but said she was attacked by some former sufferers for suggesting she was "free" from the disease after she revealed her regrown hair at a party.

"People were writing, 'How dare you say that! You're never free of cancer!'" she told The Times Magazine.

"And I thought, 'No, actually I am free of cancer now.'"

Asked if she believed some people keep wearing cancer like a badge, she responded: "For ever - and I'll give you why.

"Because it is the job you don't have to work for.

"You suddenly get so much attention, and if you're not used to that, I bet it can sway you a little bit.

"I'm used to it. My job gives me the attention I would otherwise crave.

"They must be so pissed off when their hair grows back. And you think, 'Oh, come on, cancer is so common now'."

Sir Les @ChairmanMav @ferrifrump gets it spot @thetimes today. Cancer survival shouldn't be worn as a badge. Of course it's hideous but moving on helps recovery

The comedian and mother of three, who received chemotherapy and radiotherapy after doctors found a number of malignant lumps, said she never worried she would die from the disease because "they told me I wasn't going to".

Saunders, from Richmond in west London, has previously made light of her illness and joked about her 'lovely pert new bosoms' when she spoke out about it for the first time.

But her husband Ade Edmondson has described difficulties endured by those with cancer and said the ordeal should not be referred to as a 'battle'.

'It's not a great three-part TV drama full of moments, it's a long grind, like a slow car crash that will last five years and then, hopefully, we'll get out,' he said.

by Anonymousreply 2509/30/2013

I think she's tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

I have had several members of my family die from cancer, and she has hit on something that has always bugged me about cancer survivors. Survival is something you should be grateful for, not proud of.

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2013

Exactly r3, just because her comment was provocative doesn't mean it was offensive or inaccurate. She's just a smart women who makes interesting observations.

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

She makes a good point

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

I knew she was a datalounger!

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

She's nailed it. Many people will wail and flounce around about what she has said though.

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

Love her and wish her well.

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

Jen's twittered this:-

'Can I just say that I did not slate cancer survivors and a tiny part if an interview twisted to suit their bloody headline.'

by Anonymousreply 1109/29/2013

Oh, I see...she has a book out in October.

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

And the backtracking begins...

"Jennifer Saunders Denies Slating Cancer Survivors After Agreeing 'Some Wear It Like A Badge'

The comedian was given the all-clear from cancer in 2010

Jennifer Saunders has hit out at suggestions she berated cancers survivors in a recent interview, claiming her comments were misconstrued.

The Absolutely Fabulous star kept her own cancer diagnoses a secret in 2009, only revealing it after she was spotted at a party without her blonde wig.

But the 55-year-old was forced to defend her comments recently made to The Times in which she agreed some cancer survivors "wear the disease as a badge".

When probed on the reasons for her belief, the comedian, who was given the all clear from cancer in 2010, added: "Forever and I’ll give you why – because it is the job you don’t have to work for.

"You get so much attention and, if you’re not used to that, I bet it can sway you a little. I’m used to it. My job gives me the attention I’d otherwise crave."

However, on viewing the scathing headlines that were to follow her comments, Jennifer took to Twitter to clarify her remarks and blast the media, writing: "Can I just say that I did not slate cancer survivors and a tiny part if an interview twisted to suit their bloody headline. (sic)"

The TV star's fans were quick to leapt to her defence, with one fan responding: "Don’t worry, I don’t think many people could ever believe that you did that."

While another one added: "Nobody could ever believe you would, Jen. Really shocked by their cynical manipulation and not easily shocked xx"

by Anonymousreply 1309/30/2013

Bitch is on antidepressants. Guess she can' suck it up and get over herself.

Give children boundaries, says Jennifer Saunders: Actress reveals she has a no-nonsense attitude to parenting

Miss Saunders has three daughters with her husband Adrian Edmondson

Absolutely Fabulous star claims modern child rearing prevents parents from disciplining their children

She said children also need to learn the importance of responsibility

As Britain’s top comedienne, it’s not difficult for Jennifer Saunders to see the funny side of life. But parenting is one subject that she does not consider a laughing matter.

The Absolutely Fabulous star has revealed that she has no time for modern child rearing which she claims prevents parents from disciplining their children and setting boundaries.

Miss Saunders, 55, who has three daughters with her husband Adrian Edmondson, said: ‘That ‘conscious parenting’ is rather odd, where you spend ‘quality time’.

'They [children] have to learn what life is like, that people have bad moods. People get cross. If I’m tired, and you’re pushing it, I’m going to shout.’

And referring to the need to teach children the importance of responsibility rather than being kind, she added: ‘If you want a pony, even if it’s wet and dark, you go out there and you do your bloody pony.’

The actress, also best known for her comedy partnership with Dawn French, was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009 following a routine mammogram. Tests revealed it to be several malignant lumps.

Miss Saunders underwent chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

Following the treatment she was given Tamoxifen which she has revealed plunged her straight into menopause and depression.

In her interview with the Saturday Times magazine she said: ‘I just thought that I was cross and that the whole world was wrong. Everyone was being stupid.’

Miss Saunders, who has written a new book, Bonkers: My Life in Laughs, is still taking an anti-depressant.

Controversially she claims some people like to wear cancer like a badge: ‘I’ll give you why. Because it’s the job you don’t have to work for. You suddenly get so much attention and if you’re not used to that, I bet it can sway you a little bit.

‘I’m used to it! My job gives me the attention I would otherwise crave. They must be so p***ed off when their hair grows back. And you think, ‘Oh, come on, cancer is so common now.’

by Anonymousreply 1409/30/2013

Do your pony???!

I remember when Dawn French went after her in the media, blasting her for going fox hunting.

by Anonymousreply 1509/30/2013

[quote]'Can I just say that I did not slate cancer survivors and a tiny part if an interview twisted to suit their bloody headline.'

Translation: I'm a typical comedienne who ran her mouth, is getting trashed, and now wish to play the victim.

She'll soon throw a tantrum and delete her Twitter account like Stephen Fry.

by Anonymousreply 1609/30/2013

[quote]I think she is intelligent. Absolutely Fabulous took a lot of brains to craft. So, in essence, this from Jennifer Saunders is nothing but tough-talk bullshit

Dawn French was the co-creator, and if you watched any of the episodes post-2000, you'd see that she lacks talent. Her heyday was in the 1990s, and don't forget that Ruby Wax is the script editor.

She's had no success with anything other than Ab Fab and French and Saunders.

Writing a book is what people do when the well has dried up, and it has for her. The same happened to Dawn.

by Anonymousreply 1709/30/2013

The editor of the piece is now blasting her, saying that she's lying, saying that she didn't state this. lmao.

by Anonymousreply 1809/30/2013

I don't know Jennifer but her husband, Ade, is an absolute doll. He'll make you laugh until your face hurts.

Don't milk an illness forever, even if it's cancer. Just say no to silly modern parenting bullshit. Amen to those views.

But Dawn French was right about the fox hunting.

by Anonymousreply 1909/30/2013

I don't disagree with her views on professional cancer survivors or the role of parents.

There's a significant victim culture, people for whom any adversity, any perceived slight is almost welcomed with a "see there? there you have it... no one will ever understand poor, put upon me, they'll never see understand that my every movement, my every reaction, my every breath is a battle against people who don't drop everything to agree with and pity and comfort and kowtow to me in just the right way at all times -- as I deserve."

Her husband's likened the cancer scare being less a "battle" and more "a long grind, like a slow car crash that will last five years and then, hopefully, we'll get out" which gets to the point that some people react by arming themselves for a battle that never ends (even when it does or should), and others react as best they can, do what has to be done, and look forward "hopefully" toward getting on at some point with their lives -- lives that are about something besides cancer.

It's small surprise that people who can't let loose to any degree of cancer once it has let loose of them would bristle at her remarks, but buck up for fuck's sake, it's not cruel, it's just pointing out a difference in approach.

by Anonymousreply 2009/30/2013

Her comedy writing has been way off for a decade or more.

I wish she was pursued for acting gigs by other writers/producers, because she's such a wonderful performer. I re-watched "Lucky Bitches" the other day and I was reminded of that fact.

by Anonymousreply 2109/30/2013

I also agree that the expressions of fighting cancer and it is a battle....are ridiculous ...the patient is passively accepting grueling treatment ... It is more of a slog.

And Also by calling it a battle...the medical establishment guilt trips people into not refusing last ditch efforts at treatment that are likely futile, cost a bundle, and make the patients remaining days significantly less comfortable .

by Anonymousreply 2209/30/2013

Agreed, R22.

Different people react to grave diagnoses in different ways. If it makes sense for them to see it as "doing battle", well fine. It's only the presumption --whether by patients, medical staff, or society-- that there's only one right way and that everyone else is fucking wrong, wrong, wrong that's galling.

by Anonymousreply 2309/30/2013

"Cancer" is such a wide variety of experiences and medical conditions. I know what she means, I had a co-worker whose sister got an early stage breast cancer, caught and treated, and the two of them went full-bore CANCER SURVIVOR and TEAM MICHAELA and PINK RIBBONS, on and on and on.

Currently in my own family a loved one is dealing with stage-3 cervix, uterus, lymph and they think maybe kidney. The prognosis is not good and the chemo treatment is hell on earth. I privately question why we are even doing it. The experience is very draining, humiliating, hard to be a part of. Very different situation than the peppy, me-me-me, laughter-through-tears dramatization of "Team Michaela" above.

by Anonymousreply 2409/30/2013

[quote]Dawn French was the co-creator.

Only in the sense that the two of them created a little sketch in French and Saunders (Modern Mother and Daughter) that turned out to be the basis for Ab Fab. Other than that Dawn French had absolutely no role in the creation of Ab Fab. It was all Saunders, with a lot of help from Ruby Wax.

by Anonymousreply 2509/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.