Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President, Attacks LGBT Community In Shocking UN Address

The president of Gambia has ranked homosexuality alongside obsession with power and greed as "more deadly than all natural disasters put together."

Using his address to the United Nations General Assembly to attack gays and lesbians, President Yahya Jammeh called homosexuality one of the three "biggest threats to human existence," the Associated Press reported.

"Those who promote homosexuality want to put an end to human existence," Gambian President Yahya Jammeh told the gathering of world leaders in New York. "It is becoming an epidemic and we Muslims and Africans will fight to end this behavior."

"Homosexuality in all its forms and manifestations which, though very evil, antihuman as well as anti-Allah, is being promoted as a human right by some powers," said Jammeh, who is accused by activists of human rights abuses during his rule.

Andre Banks, executive director of global gay rights group All Out, said Jammeh's remarks were "paranoid and disturbing."

"In his list of the world's greatest threats, the President left one out - intolerance," Banks said in a statement, Reuters reported.

The Gambian ruler has previously told gays and lesbians to leave the country or have their heads cut off. Both male and female same-sex sexual activity is illegal in the country.

"The Gambia is a country of believers... sinful and immoral practices [such] as homosexuality will not be tolerated in this country," the president said.

He also commanded "all those who harbour such individuals to kick them out of their compounds," instructing the director of the Gambia Immigration Department to "weed bad elements in society."

In a speech before newly promoted army chiefs on 7 December 2009, President Jammeh said: "We will not encourage lesbianism and homosexuality in the military. It is a taboo in our armed forces. I will sack any soldier suspected of being a gay or lesbian in The Gambia. We need no gays in our armed forces."

Jammeh also has drawn international criticism for his claim he can cure AIDS with an herbal body rub and bananas.

He first took power in the tiny West African country after a 1994 coup.

by Anonymousreply 2009/29/2013

A partial body count in the link below. Sounds like a candidate for the GOP outreach program to me!

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

Cant wait for the racists to start the who stereotyping of blacks and references to ape and monkey since one black man is homophobic in this story

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2013

He's Muslim, right?

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2013

"The president of Gambia has ranked homosexuality alongside obsession with power and greed"

Is that his way of coming out of the closet?

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

This is why no gay person should go anywhere near Africa.

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

r5, South Africa is gay-legal.

I do have a fantasy of Michael Jackson coming back to life and facing Yahya in the middle of the night in bed and singing "Beat It."

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

I just wanted to let my guys here know that this is being heralded and celebrated on urban blogs all over the net. DAMN.

The biggest enemy may not be redneck wingnuts after all.

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

R7, "heralded and celebrated on urban blogs"? I seriously doubt many "urban" bloggers agree with some fundamentalist dictator with blood in his hands.

Gay bashers on the net are very vocal and try to give an appearance of representing a much larger group than what there really is.

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

Please don't let him be bla...d'oh!

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

This is how oligarchs distract their subjects. Homosexuality is the problem, not the fact that 80% of you don't have clean water.

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

Can't these African creatures just stay at home and pull the worms out of their faces, and stop peddling their nonsense elsewhere?

by Anonymousreply 1109/29/2013

[all posts by flame bait troll #11 removed (violent racist homophobic right-wing misogynist), ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

Guess I won't be vacationing in Gambia this year.

by Anonymousreply 1309/29/2013

American preachers(White) statted the phobia in Uganda when they spread lies and showed graphic sexually explicit video. Before that Ugandan gays said it was actually gay friendly and they had no problems living there

by Anonymousreply 1409/29/2013

[quote]Before that Ugandan gays said it was actually gay friendly and they had no problems living there

by Anonymousreply 1509/29/2013

r14 I see the Evangelicals have made their way to Gambia. I say a piece a few years ago that documented how Uganda was influenced. They profiled a Gay Ugandan. He said they are now in hiding when they never had to be. Before the Americans came. What happened was that the American ministera would come and preach their hate and show film and photos of men graphically having sex & urinating & defecating on each other. They were going from church to church showing hundreds of people warning this would happen to them if homosexuality was allowed.

Google "uganda gay american evangangelical" and there are articles

by Anonymousreply 1609/29/2013

We should let them host the Olympic 2020 summmer games!

by Anonymousreply 1709/29/2013

What's happening in Gambia is part of the CIA campaign to destabilize Third World nations, which has being ongoing since the 1950s. The SOP is overthrowing a democratically elected government, then install a narcocracy, with either a right-wing or fundie bent. The American Evangelical movement overseas is CIA-run. Much of what passes for Islamic extremism nowadays is actually a CIA syncretism of Islam and fundie Protestantism.

Yahya Jammeh is just another CIA drug lord.

by Anonymousreply 1809/29/2013

R2 Oh please! The whole continent is full of extreme homophobia and misogyny, augmented by the influence of Islam?Muslims, the other group we're not allowed to say anything bad about.

by Anonymousreply 1909/29/2013

r18 So is this just like the CIA led over throw of the democratically elected president of Iran in 1953 that led to the rise of the Shahs?

by Anonymousreply 2009/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!