Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

So why did Kate Hepburn quit Travels with My Aunt?

Was Cukor mad? I know I can look this up but I thought this way would be more fun.

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

She realized she had no possibility of pulling off the "young" scenes. Her fabled star quality couldn't manage that trick.

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

The film turned out to be a huge shitfest.

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2013

Hepburn ran into the same fellow that sabotaged the old "Judy Garland Show" on TV.

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2013

She didn't like your aunt, OP.

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

WHO R3, the same fellow WHO, not THAT... geez... fucking idiots

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

R5, this is a game. We can't make it too easy for the OP. But here's a clue: Hissssssss.....

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

not a bit of info!!!!

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

I saw the stage version of Travels with my parents years ago in NYC at The Minetta Lane Theater. What an incredible evening. Play was performed with five male actors, led by Jim Dale and Brian Murray.

I didn't know there was a film version!

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

R8, perhaps you will be surprised to learn that there was a book too.

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

R9, I didn't know there was a book as well... thanks for passing along the info.

Graham Greene wrote the novel, very interesting.

I hadn't thought of the play's background much, just remember how fascinating it was to watch men portray all of the characters on stage. I'd never seen a production like it before (I've seen similar shows over years, but TWMA has always been special).

A little googling and I realize I saw the play in 1995. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

She was probably smart to get out of it--whatever her reasons. The Maggie Smith version isn't very good.

I went on a Graham Greene binge when I was in my 20s. TWMA wasn't one of the books I liked the best. ("Brighton Rock" and "The Heart of the Matter" were my favorites.)

by Anonymousreply 1109/29/2013

r1 is correct.

After viewing the dailies, Hepburn realized that no amount of makeup and lighting could be employed to create the younger version of her character and she and director Cukor jointly agreed to call it quits.

And IIRC even Maggie Smith, who was decades younger than Kate, needed vaselined lenses to pull off the flashbacks. But then she also used a ton of old age makeup to create the elderly version of the aunt.

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!