Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Midnight Express

I'm watching it for the first time as an adult. As a kid I remember sneaking downstairs to watch the nude scenes on HBO.

The music is great. Brad Davis is so hot but dresses like he's in a old gay pinup. His jeans are so tight and he must be stuffing something up front. How can a guy be so big and still be running around?

Is Alan Parker gay?

by Anonymousreply 4208/06/2014

Wow! you watch this powerful film and that's all you're concerned with?

by Anonymousreply 109/29/2013

I've only watched the first 10 minutes or so r1

by Anonymousreply 209/29/2013

My GAWD, OP.

by Anonymousreply 309/29/2013

[quote] How can a guy be so big and still be running around?

huh?

by Anonymousreply 409/29/2013

[quote]I've only watched the first 10 minutes or so

Why?

by Anonymousreply 509/29/2013

R5, VHS tape got stuck

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

r4 mine shrinks up when I run or I'm terrified...isn't that biology to protect it?

r5 because I wanted to start a thread to look at when I finished

(have 45 minutes left)---it is pretty a pretty brilliant film

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

shocking that Davis didn't get a nomination(he should have received the one Olivier got)

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

-

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

Billy Hayes, and other Long Island idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

OP darling: in the 70s everyone had their junk on display. Not since the demise of the codpiece has their been such a time for crotchwatchers. The fucking gay designers need to get their act together and ditch the sexless flatfront drainpipe trousers cause I can't wank to ankles.

by Anonymousreply 1109/29/2013

There. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

That movie made me gay.

by Anonymousreply 1309/29/2013

It needed a full out sex scene between Davis and the guy playing the (Swedish?) inmate. Obviously, something went on. We just didn't see it.

by Anonymousreply 1409/29/2013

[quote]It needed a full out sex scene between Davis and the guy playing the (Swedish?) inmate. Obviously, something went on. We just didn't see it.

Billy Hayes was up-front in the book about having a sexual relationship with Erich (Arne in the book), and he was pissed that Parker wouldn't show it in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1509/29/2013

Saw it too long ago - but didn't the guy played by John Hurt slowly silently decline what was powerfully on offer from the Davis character?

And FWIW director Parker is a loveable schlub, and to me ping-free. ("Mississippi Burning" is good too.)

by Anonymousreply 1609/29/2013

no r16...Davis declines the Swedish or what ever he was guy.

by Anonymousreply 1809/29/2013

[quote]Brad Davis is so hot but dresses like he's in a old gay pinup. His jeans are so tight and he must be stuffing something up front. How can a guy be so big and still be running around?

It sounds like you're complaining. How could that possibly be? Are you a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 1909/29/2013

Alan Parker was not "gay." In fact, he had a reputation as a homophobe. The real Billy Hayes DID have a homosexual affair while in prison; in the movie he declines to have one. And in "Fame" Parker depicted the poor homosexual kid Montgomery as a lonely pariah, the only gay kid in the high school for the performing arts.

by Anonymousreply 2009/29/2013

That movie was released in 1978. I wonder, if it were filmed today, if the scene between Billy and Erich would be more explicit? Times have changed considerably; when Billy rejected Erich in the movie, the audience clapped. Hopefully the attitude today wouldn't be as homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 2109/29/2013

Alan Parker didn't write "Fame", he directed the written script by Christopher Gore, so your logic is wrong. And don't throw out he's a homophobe without any proof. I've heard nothing, including Google.

by Anonymousreply 2209/29/2013

to his credit Parker went pretty far with the gay scene...they bathe, do yoga, kiss in the shower and the gay kid in Fame was pretty revolutionary for the time (where else were there gay teens in 1980) plus as has been said he didn't write the films.

They were also both studio films so I'm sure the gay content was discussed dissected and debated by scores of executives. It probably would have been easier for Parker to leave the story lines out so he gets credit for that.

Express's approach/avoidance thing actually seems more reminiscent of its screenwriter Oliver Stone, who always seems to fluctuate between pro- and anti gay. (I've always thought Stone has some personal issues on this topic)

by Anonymousreply 2309/29/2013

"to his credit Parker went pretty far with the gay scene..."

Agree with this. It was very sexy for the time. I don't remember seeing a gay scene like that in any earlier mainstream movies.

by Anonymousreply 2409/29/2013

Watching this movie with my then live in partner is how I discovered he had an attraction to men. He became visibly aroused during the shower scene. I had my suspicions but that sealed it. We broke up soon after when I finally asked him out right if he liked men. I could never watch that movie again. It just brings up painful memories but I admit it was a harrowing and powerful film.

by Anonymousreply 2509/29/2013

[quote]when Billy rejected Erich in the movie, the audience clapped.

Where did you see it? I saw it twice on Long Island and nothing of the sort happened.

by Anonymousreply 2609/29/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 2709/30/2013

Reply to r26. The movie was being shown in a theater I worked at in 1978, called Brunswick Square Twin Cinema in East Brunswick, NJ.

It never failed...the audiences would always clap when Billy rejected Erich.

Central New Jersey was pretty homophobic in the late 1970's, hense to audience reaction. Even more educated people I knew at the time had the nasty habit of spewing homophobic comments. Not the best environment to be in when you're 20 years old and gay.

by Anonymousreply 2809/30/2013

I remember the audiences reaction when Michael Ontkean and Harry Hamlin kissed in Making Love. You would have thought someone had just screamed FIRE. I'm not kidding, people were running for the exits. And, if I recall, the kiss was filmed in silhouette.

by Anonymousreply 2910/06/2013

"I remember the audiences reaction when Michael Ontkean and Harry Hamlin kissed in Making Love. You would have thought someone had just screamed FIRE. I'm not kidding, people were running for the exits."

Why would a homophobic person go see a movie like that? It was a gay love story...

by Anonymousreply 3010/06/2013

Homophobes saw the movies with their girlfriends. I saw ' Sunday , Bloody Sunday ' in the Seventies on long island and all the guys booed and hollered

by Anonymousreply 3110/06/2013

The same kind of thing happened when Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve kissed in "Deathtrap." The entire audience screamed "EWWWWWW!!!"

BTW Dyan Cannon was far better looking then, before she had all that plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 3210/06/2013

>>>>> OP darling: in the 70s everyone had their junk on display

& if they didn't have much to display they padded...remember that? & it was so obvious.

by Anonymousreply 3310/06/2013

They padded all right.

An acquaintance of mine used to work in an emergency room. One night they brought in a young guy who had partied too hard. When they undressed him they found a sausage where his peen should be.

by Anonymousreply 3410/06/2013

Alan Parker was awesome. He made great dramas like Birdy, Midnight Express, Mississippi Burning. Musicals like The Wall, Fame and the Commitments and even Bugsy Malone. I always assumed he was gay, but I've read elsewhere that he was not. Too bad because he was a visionary. Look him up on imdb and watch all the movies he directed.

by Anonymousreply 3510/06/2013

[quote]Why would a homophobic person go see a movie like that? It was a gay love story...

not really...that was just one scene. I bet a lot of people in 1978 were shocked by it especially since he has a girlfriend at the beginning.

Didn't they real life Hayes eventually come out as gay? If you watch youtube videos from the time he looks very 1970's marlboro man gayish.

by Anonymousreply 3610/06/2013

Kindly stop referring to me in the past tense, please. I'm not dead yet, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 3710/06/2013

He came out as gay, R36? I watched a National Geographic (I think?) special on his real life story. Fascinating stuff. I didn't know that he had trafficked drugs from Turkey several times before his arrest, including one time when he wrapped it in a fake cast around his leg.

And his actual escape was far more cinematic than the way it was described on screen (one of the film's weaker aspects, IMO). He escaped from a prisoner's island in a row boat during a rainstorm, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 3810/07/2013

I'm not sure r38...I thought he came out but not sure. The fact that he had smuggled other times kind of changes the movie. He wasn't exactly the dopey innocent the movie portrays him as. No wonder Oliver Stone apologized to Turkey a few years ago for the way the country was depicted.

by Anonymousreply 3910/07/2013

He's been married to a woman for years but maintains he's not ashamed of the gay relationship.

by Anonymousreply 4010/07/2013

[quote]Why would a homophobic person go see a movie like (Making Love)? It was a gay love story...

[quote]not really...that was just one scene. I bet a lot of people in 1978 were shocked by it especially since he has a girlfriend at the beginning.

Did they not read up on the plot of the movie before shelling out cash to see it? Or better yet, LOOK at the ad/poster? If THAT doesn't say "gay triangle", I don't know what does:

by Anonymousreply 4108/06/2014

Oliver Stone has stated that he's had gay sex before.

Brad Davis -

by Anonymousreply 4208/06/2014
Need more help? Click Here.