Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you believe in an afterlife?

I'm watching a documentary on Ntetflix about near death experiences. Personally I don't believe in an afterlife. I think once wer're gone we're gone.

What do you believe?

by Anonymousreply 12009/30/2013

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 209/28/2013

I'm rapidly becoming a proponent of hell on earth idea.

by Anonymousreply 409/28/2013

I'll get back to you on that. Or not.

by Anonymousreply 509/28/2013

That we're energy and that after we die that energy goes somewhere. Where and how it's used I have no idea. I believe that energy develops a new form of consciousness too. Maybe not an individual one, like animal life, but some form. Maybe it joins a collective one like 7 of 9.

by Anonymousreply 609/28/2013

Yup, we all already lived, died, went to hell. This is it. That's why people get reincarnated. Because you never get out of here. You will suffer here for all eternity. On Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 909/28/2013

That's what I believe, I didn't say I had any proof.

by Anonymousreply 1009/28/2013

There is no death. There is only a transition to a different sphere of consciousness.... Inside the spectral light is salvation, a window to the next plain. [Souls] must pass through this membrane where friends are waiting to guide them to new destinies.

by Anonymousreply 1109/28/2013

Some people believe that when you die there is a wonderful light. As bright as the sun but it doesn't hurt to look into it. All the answers to all the questions you want to know are inside that light. And when you walk to it... you become a part of it forever. Now, some people die, but they don't know they're gone.

by Anonymousreply 1209/28/2013

R8, are you truly that much of an idiot. Have you never taken a science class? How could an educated person not understand about molecules and energy?

by Anonymousreply 1309/28/2013

Fuck off Tangina. God is in his holy temple!

by Anonymousreply 1409/28/2013

I hate that show about kids that remember past lives. I don't want to have to come back here. This ride has sucked, and I'm a white male so I've been playing on easy mode.

by Anonymousreply 1509/28/2013

Only mammals and birds go to Heaven. Reptiles and icky things go back to Hell.

by Anonymousreply 1809/28/2013

I've known people that seemed pretty reptilian.

Some people claim that there is a secret reptilian species cohabitating on earth with us.

by Anonymousreply 1909/28/2013

If there is, I hope my dead relatives haven't been watching what I've been up to.

by Anonymousreply 2109/28/2013

I believe I shall endure. I don't know about the rest of you, who seem to be a figment of my imagination.

by Anonymousreply 2209/28/2013

All you queers are going to hell.

by Anonymousreply 2309/29/2013

To understand immortality, we must first understand its root word, mortality.

by Anonymousreply 2409/29/2013

It's in our nature to want to believe that we're special somehow, that we're more than a bubble in the foam on the crashing crest of a single wave on a small beach out of all the ocean.

None of us will know for sure until it happens to us. It's something that we all have to go through alone, and that we don't get to report back on afterwards.

I'm more scared of the act of dying, more often than not a painful, traumatic event, than whatever comes after, or not. I would like to choose the manner of my passing when I know the time is near to minimize any pain and suffering.

by Anonymousreply 2509/29/2013

I hate it when people say "I'm more scared of the act of dying than what comes after, or not".

It is so damn trite and a lot of people are lying.

You know damn well that plenty of people are afraid of no afterlife and of being dead.

by Anonymousreply 2609/29/2013

Is it possible to avoid people you hate in the afterlife? There are a few people I don't want to see.

I had a dream of a loved one who passed away and told me he was ok.

by Anonymousreply 2809/29/2013

Plenty of deaths are not painful. You're exaggerating.

And plenty are not traumatic.

by Anonymousreply 2909/29/2013

R29:

My maternal grandmother died after MONTHS languishing in a hospital. My maternal grandfather was the same, dying one day later after hearing his wife of 60 years was dead.

My paternal grandfather was shoveling snow when he had a sudden massive heart-attack (painful, if only for a few seconds) and died.

My paternal grandmother sunk into dementia over the course of a decade or so, went through twelve, count 'em, twelve strokes, before finally succumbing after weeks in the hospital.

Not a single death there sounds "painless".

Only one was "quick".

The odds don't sound all that good to me, R29.

And looking at how many people die from accidents, cancer, violence, illness, fire, burning, ... compared to how many die peaceably in their sleep while otherwise healthy, seems rather rater.

by Anonymousreply 3009/29/2013

Which documentary are you watching, OP?

I want to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 3109/29/2013

I suspect there are people having a near-life experience. Some of them are in my family.

by Anonymousreply 3209/29/2013

The body contains flesh and electricity. Studies have seen the electricity in the brain leave the body as one dies. It's a photo-chemical process. Without electricity the body would not live. In order for the consciousness of the electrical part to live within the environs of Earth, it requires a body that works with the environment sphere of Earth.

That is why our bodies are made up of water and all the elements found in the oceans of the world. To live here we must require water, air and vegetation that grows here. And we were indeed formed in the salty Earth's seas eons ago that were bombarded by lightning. Electricity is a living element that inhabits the body. It has a consciousness. When we die it leaves the shell and goes back into time and space.

There is more to this existence than you understand. If you knew the whole truth you wouldn't believe or accept it. You have no idea of your real purpose here in your present, conscious state.

No idea at all...

by Anonymousreply 3409/29/2013

R34, I love posts like yours.

by Anonymousreply 3509/29/2013

I've known these ever since I saw Dr Frankenstein yell "it's alive, it's alive" after discharging huge amounts of electricity on the monster's body.

by Anonymousreply 3709/29/2013

R36 absolutely nails it.

by Anonymousreply 3809/29/2013

I totally agree with r15.

by Anonymousreply 3909/29/2013

R34, so what more is there?

"There is more to this existence than you understand. If you knew the whole truth you wouldn't believe or accept it. You have no idea of your real purpose here in your present, conscious state.

No idea at all..."

care to enlighten?

by Anonymousreply 4109/29/2013

You are nuts on this issue, R30.

Your maternal grandfather and paternal grandfather did not have a painful death. Nor traumatic that they were aware of.

And both your maternal grandfather and paternal grandfather had deaths that were quick.

You certainly exaggerate.

It's a ridiculous thing to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 4209/29/2013

I had a near death experience so I definitely believe in it. Actually I had a death experience because I was pronounced dead. One thing they have shown is that in people who have had near death or death experiences, there is absolutely no brain activity, and yet when they return to consciousness, they have much to tell.

Also when I was in a coma I could hear every single thing anyone said.

by Anonymousreply 4509/29/2013

R45, do you have psychic abilities now?

how has life changed for you?

by Anonymousreply 4609/29/2013

Some people can't bear the idea there could be an afterlife. It upsets their hatred of religion. They can't stand belief systems other than their own. It's threatening.

by Anonymousreply 4709/29/2013

I have no psychic abilities! How has it changed me? Well, I certainly don't fear death. I feel like I take things more in stride and am more understanding. It definitely changed me and I think (hope) it made me a better person. I definitely didn't want to come back.

by Anonymousreply 4809/29/2013

You're soaking in it.

by Anonymousreply 4909/29/2013

Reincarnation is one of the crueller concepts.

by Anonymousreply 5009/29/2013

R48, you "definitely did not want to come back"?

Please explain further why you say this.

by Anonymousreply 5109/29/2013

Well I was with my loved ones and I had a tremendous feeling of well-being and peace, the likes of which I can't possibly explain. And the colors I saw were like nothing I've seen on this earth. I wasn't at all worried about those I'd left behind, I knew somehow that they would be okay. But I was told I had to go back, which I didn't want to do. And the feeling of going back was like being sucked through a vortex or something, very strange, and very painful, since I had been in an accident and I was in agony.

by Anonymousreply 5209/29/2013

R48 Do you believe in any religion or are you an atheist?

by Anonymousreply 5309/29/2013

Nope. Not even a little bit.

by Anonymousreply 5409/29/2013

Why be afraid of death? It's life we should be afraid of.

by Anonymousreply 5609/29/2013

their is something though heaven and hell are far too simplistic

by Anonymousreply 5709/29/2013

R57, you wish

by Anonymousreply 5809/29/2013

Could you answer the question at R53?

by Anonymousreply 5909/29/2013

I believe that organized religion exists to sell back to us, second-hand, what we already own. But religion is losing its luster all over the world. Especially religious extremism.

There's this guy, Dr. Ian Stephenson, who has devoted his life to proving the existence of life after death. He says it's easier to find subjects in regions that haven't put such a focus in a dogmatic religion with biblical restrictions. He did a lot of research with young Indian children. I've read the reports. I find the subject fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 6009/29/2013

R61 WW

by Anonymousreply 6209/29/2013

Nope. I wish I could, but I cannot. Doesn't seem much more likely than Santa. Although I do believe in grace, and love. I also know that I am not in control of much- a bit about my own life, and even there, not much. But I do not believe a supreme something is controlling my life. I even pray sometimes. But it may be the words of the prayer reminding me of my powerlessness and humble existence that comfort me, not that the prayer is "answered".

I wish I had "faith". The closest I can come is admitting my powerlessness- letting go. It's a form of grace, but it hardly constitutes a belief in afterlife. Wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 6309/29/2013

If you think about it, life on Earth can be like hell for a lot of people, or even high school. So maybe death is Graduation Day. I believe the soul energy goes on, alters into something else.

by Anonymousreply 6409/29/2013

R65, if you really believe this then you have to know that it was your subconciousness which created an image of your grandma in your sleep that gave you "advice" not a ghost

by Anonymousreply 6609/29/2013

I like that thought r64

by Anonymousreply 6709/29/2013

You do realize, R61, that when you claim that atheists act just like religious people, you're actually insulting the religious? You're essentially saying, "Look, they're dogmatic assholes, too, just like we are!"

At the risk of being one of those awful atheists, "Atheists are just like the religious" is something that deeply stupid people say.

Atheists don't claim they know the secrets of the universe based on stories from Bronze Age nomads. Atheists don't fly airplanes into buildings to murder thousands of people based on their belief. Atheists don't demand that their fellow atheists give them a tenth of their income to build cathedrals. Atheists don't prevent the teaching of verifiable facts because those facts contradict their beliefs.

And on the atheists side, what really compares? The fact that Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens say mean things?

by Anonymousreply 6809/29/2013

[R53] Sorry I was off the board. I don't follow any religion. I consider myself a spiritual person.

by Anonymousreply 6909/29/2013

Thank you for answering R69. I'm happy to hear that, because that makes your experience more objective to me and not a religiously fueled fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 7009/29/2013

My experience was 35 years ago, and if there was a lot written about life after death or near death experiences, I was unaware of it. I went into therapy and eventually went into a group where people had had a similar experience.

What I found is that it's like a story with the same basic elements but it's been rewritten over and over, different each time, but still containing the basics. Just like a plot we've seen in hundreds of movies but the characters and circumstances are different but the root is the same: David v. Goliath, the underdog who wins the race, etc.

I've done some reading on NDE since and recently found this.

I wouldn't argue anyone's different beliefs. I can only relate what happened to me. I will say most of the people in my group had not been particularly religious or believed in an afterlife before their experience.

by Anonymousreply 7109/29/2013

One more question R71. Are you a gay man?

by Anonymousreply 7209/29/2013

[R72] Yes.

by Anonymousreply 7309/29/2013

That's great because I rarely hear about gay people experiencing stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 7409/29/2013

They say the low frequencies of our brainwaves match the frequencies of the Earth's natural harmonics or vibrations. So I think the Earth's harmonic field is kinda like a collective energy source for humans. That's how we're in tune with the Earth and why we should protect it, blah, blah, blah.

by Anonymousreply 7509/29/2013

There were gay people in my group. People from all walks of life have experienced it. The thing is, a lot of people don't talk about it. One of the people in the group, when his grandfather died, they found a diary where he recounted an entire NDE he had when he was a young man. He never told anyone.

by Anonymousreply 7609/29/2013

What if we're all video game characters... like, this is GTA V, and some little twat is at the controls fucking up your life... and soon he's going to get bored and have you jump out of your car while you're driving down the highway or something.

by Anonymousreply 7709/29/2013

R76, did you see your life flashing by, during the experience?

by Anonymousreply 7809/29/2013

[R78] Actually no, though I have heard others say that they did. I did see my body from above, but I didn't recognize myself immediately.

The most amazing story I heard was from a woman who was in an awful car accident. She found herself floating in a cave, and the driver was floating in the cave with her. Then the driver floated away and she couldn't see him any longer. When she came back, she found out that the driver was killed.

When I came back, a doctor came in and I said, I think you're the person who said it's okay, we're going to help you. He was that person, but I had never seen him, he said it as I was going unconscious.

by Anonymousreply 7909/29/2013

Hell no, I do not believe. I came from nowhere and my atoms will go back into the ether when I die.

by Anonymousreply 8009/29/2013

There was just a new article recently that talked about how, as a last ditch survival effort, your brain burns all of its remaining fuel (oxygen) in one burst. For a short while, if they looked at your brain in a MRI, it would just look like the whole thing was lit up. It produces a state of 'hyperconsciousness'. You perceive more. You remember more. You attempt to form some connection between the data points to save yourself. Explains a lot of the NDE.

BTW, what we call death is really just the beginning of the process, but it's the point of no return with current technology. In reality, it takes another 24 to 48 hours after that for complete cell death in the brain and for all electrical activity to stop.

by Anonymousreply 8109/29/2013

Yes because nothing I can think of ever ceases to exist, it just takes different forms. A burning log doesn't disappear, it becomes ash and smoke. So when you die your body turns to dust or ash, I believe your soul or inner being, doesn't cease to exist either, but I do believe that it might take on another form totally foreign to how it is now, just as our body does. So as we have no memory of a time before birth, our soul might have no memory or awareness of our present life.

by Anonymousreply 8209/29/2013

[R81] No, you don't have a brain surge - rats do. This hasn't been tested in humans. Also it's been shown that people on monitors who later reported NDEs (or I guess in my case DEs) have absolutely no brain activity at all.

I know in humans, having been at some death beds, there is a surge of physical activity often before dying. A person who hasn't spoken in hours will suddenly speak or sit up.

I don't know what will happen to you when you die. I only know what happened to me and to other people, and people who have had experiences of danger or whatever where they felt guided by something outside of them. I am sure there are many explanations for these phenomenons. In the last 35 years I have spoken to many people about this, including doctors and scientists. The people I have spoken with in science cannot explain everything that happens in NDE and readily admit they don't have all the answers. What happened to me was very real. It wasn't a dream or dream-like, or a flight of fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 8309/29/2013

R8, you're awfully defensive for someone who thinks he knows the truth. Don't BS us with the call for proof. If you really knew what was going on, you'd be a lot less overwrought about this issue.

by Anonymousreply 8409/29/2013

[R84] It's interesting, R84. I find that on amazon.com or imdb.com or on message boards, people become very defensive and, using your word, overwrought about this issue. It's a very threatening concept - not just this concept but anything remotely spiritual or metaphysical. I can understand anger over a lot of organized religions and really being critical because some or most of them are so exclusionary. They're not about love or acceptance and think they have the answers - right.

We're free to believe and discuss different beliefs and ideas about death and spirituality and if there's a God or some sort of force in the universe, a universal truth. Unlike religion that tells you this is true and you must believe it, I don't think we're going to know the real answers to some of this. These are open subjects, so why people become so incensed when anyone says they believe in life after death or NDEs etc. is beyond me. It may turn out that it doesn't happen for everyone. No one knows. So I say think about it, talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 8509/29/2013

Why do dying people often call out for their dead parents or other deceased relatives?

Where do all of the missing socks go?

by Anonymousreply 8609/29/2013

Our bodies are like cars driving us around to our destinations. It takes us where we need to go and then it eventually stops working. When that happens, it's time to move on from this dimension.

We never die, we simply transform and acquire a new vehicle for the next plane of existence.

by Anonymousreply 8709/29/2013

You can't even second-act anymore.

by Anonymousreply 8809/29/2013

To be honest, the prospect of seeing all the assholes in my past again frightens me. Could I opt out of an afterlife?

by Anonymousreply 8909/29/2013

I've always had strange things happening I can't explain. It runs in families. My mother had it too. And now my sis-in-law took her 14-year-old to a psychic retreat where they pick people out of the audience and read them. One of the psychics picked him and said he has a gift and should read some books and take classes. So I asked him later, and he confirmed that he does "see things" sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 9009/29/2013

yeah there is I think they come from somewhere near south east asia

by Anonymousreply 9109/29/2013

I meant the reptilian race

by Anonymousreply 9209/30/2013

I'm glad they won't be letting the jews in.

by Anonymousreply 9309/30/2013

I am a frequent visitor to www.nderf.org. It features accounts of near death experiences and is updated regularly, so the number of accounts is in the thousands. I find it extremely interesting - and comforting - to read these experiences from people of wildly varying backgrounds and causes of death.

by Anonymousreply 9409/30/2013

R31, It was called Afterlife.

I ended up falling asleep partway into it. I find the subject interesting, but the documentary was pretty boring. I was mostly turned off by all of the religious connotations since I'm a non believer.

by Anonymousreply 9509/30/2013

I believe it exists.

by Anonymousreply 9609/30/2013

There is no heaven, hell or afterlife. Once you die, you die and the living take over until they die. And so on, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 9709/30/2013

great story here - amazing

by Anonymousreply 9809/30/2013

Venezuala

by Anonymousreply 9909/30/2013

Years ago, before the internet network, nurses couldn't talk about what they saw regarding ghosts. Now, they do. There's a site, allnurses.com that one can go to. When the page comes on, then type Ghosts in the search bar. There are fascinating entries from women young and old.

Other cultures have their own beliefs about the afterlife. One is that a relative comes to pick you up, and is your spirit guide.

Personally, I have been taught the Christian way. So, yes I believe in an afterlife.

by Anonymousreply 10009/30/2013

lol, you were "taught" the Xtian way, so you "believe" in an afterlife?

Must be a wonderful, lovely thing to be a sheeple and never have to think for yourself. God, sometimes I wish I was as intellectually stunted as you all. Life would be so much easier!

by Anonymousreply 10109/30/2013

[R101]And it must be a wonderful, lovely thing to be so intellectually superior and know it all.

by Anonymousreply 10209/30/2013

R99, WTF?

by Anonymousreply 10309/30/2013

I definitely believe in reincarnation.

In my next life, I'm coming back as a carnation.

by Anonymousreply 10409/30/2013

It's like a big amusement park.

Price of admission is even worse than Disneyland, though.

by Anonymousreply 10509/30/2013

I don't want to die, ever. I'm ok with being raptured though.

by Anonymousreply 10609/30/2013

R81, omg, if it takes 24-48 hours for complete cell death in the brain...does that mean there's any shred that you can be somehow aware of what's happening to you? I always had this fear that when we die, we're trapped in our bodies. Like a deep, deep coma. We can't physically feel anything but our brains are working. Until we're embalmed, or there's an autopsy.

Please tell me that I'm just an idiot and that this isn't possible.

by Anonymousreply 10709/30/2013

r107, you are trapped in your body NOW.

by Anonymousreply 10809/30/2013

Mormons believe you spend eternity with your family. That sounds like HELL to me.

by Anonymousreply 10909/30/2013

R107, we are not our bodies. They are vehicles enabling our physical existence within three dimensions on this earthbound plane.

We forget who we really are at childbirth because that is necessary for growth. It is part of a natural evolution and our physical death is perfectly normal when our time here has ended.

We then move on to another dimension where we are most comfortable and able to continue our growth. We are eternal beings.

by Anonymousreply 11009/30/2013

r110 -- Then please explain population growth?

by Anonymousreply 11109/30/2013

Abahdee, abahdee, abahdee...... that's all folks!

by Anonymousreply 11209/30/2013

What's the name of the documentary, OP?

by Anonymousreply 11309/30/2013

Read stories on the nurses' website posted upthread. What is this dark figure that they talk about that appears before someone dies, that the person dying reacts in terror to? A grim reaper? A devil, meaning the person was wicked? What do the believers on here think?

by Anonymousreply 11409/30/2013

No, but shouldn't this have been a poll? I imagine more Dataloungers disbelieve in the afterlife. Hope so anyway, since I'd like to think we're above average in intellect. Not a high bar in the U.S. but still...

by Anonymousreply 11509/30/2013

I want to be unconscious when I die. I think your brain forces you back up in a panic regardless, hence reports of people almost comatose suddenly sitting up screaming, which some people interpret as the 'arrival of the grim reaper' in stories posted online.

So for those of us that don't believe, at what point if you were dying and having a NDE would you start to believe, if it turns out we're wrong and there is something else? Is it like in a dream where you can't control whether or not you believe, you're more of an observer as your brain peters out?

by Anonymousreply 11609/30/2013

If you believe in an afterlife, do you have opinions on the following questions:

Do all forms of life have an afterlife?

If not, when in evolution did the afterlife come into being? Did Neanderthals have an afterlife? Home Erectus?

Someone above mentioned we forget who we are at childbirth. This implies ensoulment. At what point does this happen? Conception? A certain point in the womb? First breath?

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 11709/30/2013

Do you believe in love after life?

by Anonymousreply 11809/30/2013

What if the dark tunnel is a vagina... and the bright white light at the end is when you come out into the doctor's hands?

by Anonymousreply 11909/30/2013

Can I ask the people who believe in an after-life, why do you need or want there be an after-life?

by Anonymousreply 12009/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.