Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dairy Queen

How late in the year does your area Dairy Queen stay open until it goes on break for the winter?

by Mr. Blizzardreply 4409/16/2014

The drive-thru line at the Dairy Queens in my area are heavily trafficked all year long.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 209/28/2013

Ours closes down after Halloween. The owner said they make a ton of money on cakes.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 309/28/2013

There are no Dairy Queens where I live, although we have plenty of Rice Queens. Why would a fast food chain close for winter? Do the workers hibernate?

by Mr. Blizzardreply 409/28/2013

In colder climates, people don't think of Dairy Queen as a destination.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 509/28/2013

In warmer climates, many people don't think of Dairy Queen as a destination.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 609/28/2013

Good DQs have morphed in to "Chill & Grills" that - when well run - are a good alternative to fast food, but still have DQ favorites like blizzards & peanut butter parfaits. I stress "well run" because even though making decent chili dogs sounds easy, the one in my hometown of Ohio (that is starved for good restaurants) is a disaster.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 709/28/2013

Are you a Dairy Queen if you're attracted to guys from Wisconsin?

by Mr. Blizzardreply 809/28/2013

I live across the street from one and it's just like any other fast-food restaurant, except for the cakes and specialty ice cream stuff. I have been to a small-town DQ that was little more than an ice cream/hot dog stand, so I guess that's what the OP is referring to? That one is in the AZ desert, so it stays open year round as far as I know.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 909/28/2013

I think the owner of the Dairy Queen franchises in my area is gay....EVERY guy working the counter and the drive thru is cute as hell.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 1009/28/2013

Dairy Queen boys are often hot, but they're high school jailbait.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 1109/28/2013

"In warmer climates, many people don't think of Dairy Queen as a destination."

Personally, I love Dairy Queen's prices and proprietary flavors...and the people working there are always friendly.

Snobs who are okay forking out $15.00 for a lousy burrito and some powdered guacamole mix while being treated to snotty 'tude from the supremacist staff can always go to Chipolte.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 1209/28/2013

We get girl-trolls with hairy lips - and tattoos.

Really, Dawn? You can afford bad ink, but nads is off budget?

by Mr. Blizzardreply 1309/28/2013

There are no Dairy Queens in NYC. Not a single one.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 1609/28/2013

In Minneapolis -- where it is not hot all year long. It really depends on the location. I think the individual franchise owner has discretion when to close and when to open in the spring. The smaller ones tend to close late Oct. to mid November, depending on how mild the fall. The bigger ones with a larger food menu tend to stay open all year. In the malls, they tend to be joined with the Orange Julius's and are all year.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 1709/28/2013

There are still Orange Julius's around?!

by Mr. Blizzardreply 1809/28/2013

There aren't any Dairy Queens around here. I've never seen one or been in one. Is it a Midwestern franchise?

by Mr. Blizzardreply 1909/28/2013

"There are still Orange Julius's around?!"

We still have them in the bigger shopping malls, but they are always combined with Dairy Queen.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 2009/28/2013

Yup, our local Dairy Queens now offer Orange Julius drinks.

They are open year-round, too.

It's a Peanut Buster Parfait, FYI.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 2209/28/2013

The DQs in Texas are open all year around and all serve burgers and stuff.

But they don't have the same menu as every DQ in the rest of the country... like regular cheeseburgers (nope! Just the hunger buster big burgers). It's very annoying because they run national ads, and most of the time whatever they're advertising isn't available here.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 2309/29/2013

It would make sense for only the Dairy Queens that only sell ice cream and not the burgers to close in winter. I like Dairy Queen onion rings once in a while, year round.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 2409/29/2013

Technically there's one DQ in NYC; it opened this year in Staten Island. Supposedly, more DQs will open in Manhattan soon.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 2609/29/2013

we have them all over the west coast...

by Mr. Blizzardreply 2709/29/2013

I've never heard of a DQ closing during the winter, OP. Maybe just some that are located in colder, rural areas? The few I know of in the Chicago suburbs are open year-round.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 2909/29/2013

I don't know about Dairy Queens, but the Rita's Water Ice stores near me usually close around October and open up again in March. They give away free water ice on the first day of spring every year.

We only have Dairy Queens in the suburbs. I think they stay open all year but I'm not sure. Some of them have full food menus so I imagine they always stay open, but there's a little franchise near my sister's house that only sells ice cream.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 3009/29/2013

I was also surprised at first to hear that there are DQ's that don't serve food. But then I remembered that when I was a kid ('70s-'80s) most locations signs actually said Dairy Queen AND Brazier (which was the branding for the food back then). Maybe some locations (due largely to climate) didn't opt to franchise the Brazier side and because of it never added food when it was all brought under the DQ name.

As for the Orange Julius, I've recently seen DQ commercials announcing Orange Julius is available at DQ. The ads I saw seemed to imply all DQ's had added it. I suppose it's to try to at least partially compete with the smoothie joints.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 3109/29/2013

Seems like the Dairy Queens around here are all run by Indian owners. (Red dot not red skin.) They stay open year round because they are of the elite 'brazier' type of DQ.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 3209/29/2013

I still can't believe that they basically called their iced coffee and milk drink "mulatto" (MooLatte)

Maybe they will expand this concept to a four-pack of macaroons called Quadroons.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 3309/29/2013

We have Carvel instead of Dairy Queen. There used to be a lot of freestanding Carvel shops, but there aren't many left nowadays. There are some Carvel franchises in mall food courts that are together with other franchises like Subway.

Carvel was the first ice cream franchise to use all kosher ingredients, so it got really popular in Brooklyn and Queens. There was still a freestanding Carvel shop when I lived in Yorkville in Manhattan in the 1990s, but it's gone now.

Carvel never branched out into things like burgers and fries. They were famous for soft serve ice cream, but they mostly sell hard packed ice cream cakes and packs of Flying Saucers from freezer cases in supermarkets and delis now.

Carvel has saved me when I forgot it was someone's birthday or when I found out it was an employee's someone's last day of work and ran out to a deli and grabbed an ice cream cake. And the Lil Luv cakes are the right size for a home celebration.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 3409/29/2013

Another annoying thing about Texas Dairy Queens... they have fewer sundae toppings and shake flavors.

When I grew up in a different state, DQ had toppings and shake-flavors like raspberry, black-raspberry, and probably half a dozen others, that simply don't exist in Texas DQs.

Did DQ just trim down the options everywhere, or is this really just a Texas thing? Are sundae toppings regional?

There are literally only five options at the local DQs around here... strawberry, chocolate, pineapple, hot-fudge, caramel, ... and literally that's it.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 3509/29/2013

[quote] Rita's Water Ice stores near me usually close around October and open up again in March. They give away free water ice on the first day of spring every year.

Water ice?

Ice is made of water. That's a little redundant.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 3709/29/2013

Their seasonal pumpkin blast just hit the spot tonight. I got a large. I wait for it every year.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 3810/13/2013

I friend of mine owned three of them.

If you have one of the old franchise agreements (before the mid 1960's) you're free to tell them to fuck themselves as far as selling food or adding a dining room is concerned. Basically as long as you buy their mix and their containers, and follow their product specs you can do what you want. You have to keep operating in your original building, and I don't think the rights transfer to a new owner, so the old stores are gradually going by the wayside.

Old School Dairy Queen banned all onion products from the building because the onion smell tainted the ice cream.

As far as being open year round in cold climates, it is a proven fact that if you close during the winter, your business doesn't bounce back as strong in the spring. People need to see that DQ open in January even if they have no intention of stopping. It makes them think of Dilly Bars that first warm day in April.

My friend ran his with almost all high school girls. The guys had no concept of portion control. They would make the cones too large, and they would give them away to their friends. The girls were regular nazis about making a 3 oz cone exactly 3 ounces, and they could master the little swirly whip at the top much faster. He hired ugly because the pretty girls attracted too many horny teenage boys. At one point he had something like 45 girls working between the 3 stores. He tried to get a high school teacher to manage each of the stores during the summer.

The headache of managing that circus was what finally made him sell. He was making about $60,000 per store when he sold in about 1990.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 3910/13/2013

Oh, one more thing about the food. The store doesn't make any money on the food, if they do it's pocket change.

DQ the company makes money, because they collect their royalty, but after the store owner makes the investment and has to staff a kitchen, he's lucky to break even.

A lot of store owners did it because the theory was that when you have a car full of people and they're deciding where to stop, someone in the car will always insist of getting food. If you don't have something to eat on the menu, even if it's a very limited menu, you're going to lose that car, because they'll stop at a food place that also sells ice cream. You lose 50 cents on the hamburger, but you sell 4 blizzards and make $2 because of it.

That's the theory. My friend could never make it pencil out to where it was worth it.

by Mr. Blizzardreply 4010/13/2013

r30 I'm South Philly too, but I wouldn't give a dime for a whole bucket of Rita's, that stuff is just nasty. r37 It's tradition, whaddya' gonna' do?

by Mr. Blizzardreply 4110/13/2013

Española, New Mexico has three DQs! And the DQ in Truth or Consequences is right next to a cruisy car wash!

by Mr. Blizzardreply 4210/13/2013

Why are the people that work there so stupid? Anytime I go there to order a banana split at the drive thru, they just hand it to me with ice cream and sauce dripping all on the outside of the container, as if I want that shit all over my car. I always have to ask them to put it into a bag - shouldn't they be smart enough to do that in the first place?

by Mr. Blizzardreply 4309/16/2014

R12, what Chipotle charges 15.00 dollars for a burrito?

by Mr. Blizzardreply 4409/16/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!