Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Down syndrome cheerleader bumped to the bleachers: 'Cheer there,' says school

A high school volleyball cheerleader is going to have to show her support for her team, not from the courtside with the other pom-pom waving girls, but from up in the bleachers. Deer Park High School, in Texas, is telling a 16-year-old student who suffers from Down syndrome to take a seat, reports the Inquisitor on Sept. 26.

Brittany Davila, a freshman at Deer Park High School, was overjoyed that she was named an honorary cheerleader on the all-girl squad. Her father said she has been working extremely hard over the summer and was just told she cannot represent her school with her teammates on the sidelines.

“It was heartbreaking to hear that she is a cheerleader, but yet she won’t cheer with any of the other girls,” said father Ruben Davila.

Ruben feels the school is unfairly discriminating against his daughter. He said the school told him that having Brittany on the sidelines was a “liability,” even though she has previously been on the court with the other girls during games and proven that she can handle the cheer routine.

“If it’s a liability for her why wouldn’t it be for anyone else?” Ruben asked.

On Tuesday, Brittany showed up for the game in full uniform, but was told to stay in the stands.

Brittany’s mom, Buffy Davila, said Brittany cheered at one volleyball game, “Then yesterday we went and it was a different coach, and now she can’t do it because it’s a liability?” says Buffy.

“She doesn’t understand why they’re telling her she can’t do it,” Buffy said. “And I don’t know how to explain it to her.”

Dad Ruben echoed his wife’s frustrations.

“She didn’t understand what changed from last week to this week,” Ruben said, adding that Brittany was still good-natured, cheering her team on from up in the bleachers. “She was cheering along with them in the stands. She was excited, waving at them and blowing kisses.”

When the Deer Park Independent School District was questioned, they replied they would not answer any questions on specific students due to federal law, but did pass along this statement:

“There are apparently rumors going around that [Brittany]was cut from the squad, but this is not true. She’s STILL an honorary member of the squad, and we are honored to have her involved in the program. Several of our high school team members met with the child’s parents this afternoon… Both sides left with a better understanding of the other's concerns and position. There was also an agreement to work together to resolve whatever issues might remain.”

Perhaps there is some sort of liability issue, but shouldn’t school officials have made that clear from the outset when bringing Brittany on? The Davilas say Brittany has been cheering throughout her junior high school years, and there has never been a problem before.

by Anonymousreply 7509/30/2013

Well, doesn't "honorary" mean benched?

by Anonymousreply 109/28/2013

Well, she would mess everything up.

by Anonymousreply 209/28/2013

Were they trying to pull a "glee" and realized it wasn't working?

by Anonymousreply 309/28/2013

[quote]A high school volleyball cheerleader

That squad is lower in importance than the wrestlerettes (they give head).

Let her on - unless she keeps stealing the ball.

by Anonymousreply 409/28/2013

Why is it so terrible to note the obvious, which is that these deficient, damaged creatures - people, if you must, but it's really going a little far - are not quite full humans? It's just being honest.

They're mistakes, and pandering to the small portion of their fractured beings that just might recognize they are substandard from time to time is not worth the betrayal to our real children. It's bad enough that these things are occupying space and breathing the same air as others (I mean, do you really want to inhale what is exhaled from those crippled, retarded bodies?). Do we also have to "pretty up" their miserable existences at the expense of real youth?

Disgusting. More Democrat hypocrisy. Even the phony Kennedys had the decency to cut the brain out of their retard and lock her up.

by Anonymousreply 509/28/2013

SHE is why we can't have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 609/28/2013

Has anyone told her about her period?

by Anonymousreply 909/28/2013

Brittany, you can come sit next to me.

by Anonymousreply 1009/28/2013

I think this is now an appropriate time for this video.

by Anonymousreply 1109/28/2013

R9 here. R8, We seem to be a match made in heaven - born on 7:08PM!

by Anonymousreply 1209/28/2013

Jinx, buy me a Coke, R9!

by Anonymousreply 1309/28/2013

She gots the downs!

by Anonymousreply 1409/28/2013

You eat SHIT!

by Anonymousreply 1509/28/2013

I've never understood why having an extra chromosome doesn't make you super human?

by Anonymousreply 1609/28/2013

"I've never understood why having an extra chromosome doesn't make you super human?"

You're telling me, sister.

by Anonymousreply 1709/28/2013

This is probably more complicated then it sounds - and I suspect there are serious liability issues involved.

Cheerleading has become a competitive sport. But it is not recognized as a sport. There are no federal or state mandated standards and regulations. In particular safety regulations.

People with Downs Syndrome face mental and physical challenges. All aspects of their education need to adapt to these challenges.

You take a school sponsored sport with little to no safety regulations and combine that with a participant with physical challenges - and you have a potentially dangerous situation and a potential law suit.

It's quite possible the coach (who has nothing to do with cheerleaders) has enough training/education to spot the problems and brought them to the administration's attention.

The administration went right to their lawyers - who will also say "no" to be on the safe side.

I'm guessing most parents assume safety precautions that are mandated for recognized sports mistakenly are also in place for their children's cheerleading squad. Just not true.

by Anonymousreply 1809/28/2013

I was going to say.. this thread is useless without a video... and then R11 came to the rescue.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 1909/28/2013

Or R18, it could just be she looks like an ugly retard next to all the pretty girls

by Anonymousreply 2009/28/2013

I never realize Coke-y is a double threat!

by Anonymousreply 2109/28/2013

Clearly, the administration at Deer Park doesn't know how to properly handle children.

by Anonymousreply 2409/28/2013

Has Corky asked her to the dance yet?

by Anonymousreply 2509/28/2013

Lol, who runs cheerleading, Mr G from Summer heights High?

by Anonymousreply 2609/28/2013

If the girl wants to be a cheerleader she's going to have to whore like the rest of them. Thank God above she's in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 2709/28/2013

I used to have a friend who made up this game where you'd get points if you could capture a photo of a 'Downie' with your cell phone. I forget exactly how the scoring went, but I remember the maximum points was awarded for actually getting the 'Downie' to pose with you (as opposed to just snapping pics of them in passing, etc). You also had to be able to tell without any doubt that the person in the pic had DS, otherwise you were disqualified and no points were awarded.

He's going straight to hell.

by Anonymousreply 2809/28/2013

Corky is married, hello!?

by Anonymousreply 2909/28/2013

[quote] Cheerleading has become a competitive sport.

You are right. They do a lot of gymnastic things and they throw each other up in the air. It's very dangerous

by Anonymousreply 3009/28/2013

What would Muffy do?

by Anonymousreply 3109/28/2013

"Corky is married, hello!?"

To a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3209/28/2013

R28, is your friend single by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 3309/28/2013

Lean to the left! Lean to the right!

MONGOLOIDS! MONGOLOIDS! Fight, fight, fight!

by Anonymousreply 3409/28/2013

R34 wins, but I can't vote that to the front page; I'll see it every day.

by Anonymousreply 3509/28/2013

R28's friend = Karen Walker

by Anonymousreply 3609/28/2013

I'm not down with that.

by Anonymousreply 3709/28/2013

This being Texas I'm sure they'll find some reason to put her on death row.

by Anonymousreply 3809/28/2013

[quote]You eat SHIT! by: Hargensen

This isn't over...not by a LONG SHOT!

by Anonymousreply 3909/28/2013

"This being Texas I'm sure they'll find some reason to put her on death row."

How very inefficient. Surely there are better ways to rid the world of such...undesirables.

by Anonymousreply 4009/28/2013

She'll have to go down on the team to get the job.

by Anonymousreply 4109/28/2013

[quote]I agree, the parents have signed their permission for her to do it, the way all the cheerleaders parents have to sign something I'm sure. So that would stop any lawsuit. They were just inconsiderate and broke a poor little Down Syndrome girl's heart, real nice.

You don't actually know that.

The article is far from comprehensive. There are no quotes from the parents about the meeting they had with the school.

The school is absolutely correct - there is little to nothing they can say.

In short - you actually have no idea what happened or why.

by Anonymousreply 4409/28/2013

Doesn't the family realize that "honorary cheerleader" means that you get to pick up fallen pom-poms after the routine is over?

It doesn't make you part of the performance team.

by Anonymousreply 4509/28/2013

HEYYY CORKY, YOU'RE SO FINE! YOU'RE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY MIND--HEY CORKY!!!

by Anonymousreply 4609/28/2013

[quote]“She doesn’t understand why they’re telling her she can’t do it,” Buffy said. “And I don’t know how to explain it to her.”

Sounds like mom is a bit "slow" too.

by Anonymousreply 4709/29/2013

I think the point is that they don't want the girl to get hurt during the cheerleader routines.

by Anonymousreply 4809/29/2013

[quote] Fuck it. She is a teenaged girl living with down Syndrome not polio or severe Muscular Dystrophy or some shit..........Jamie Brewer is living with Down Syndrome.

So now people don't "have" Down syndrome anymore? They're "living with Down Syndrome"?

by Anonymousreply 5009/29/2013

[quote] Deer Park High School, in Texas, is telling a 16-year-old student who suffers from Down syndrome

I can understand not wanting to say, "suffers from Down syndrome," but to have to go all the way to, " living with down syndrome" is too much. She has Down syndrome, like I have bad hair. They're both congenital.

by Anonymousreply 5109/29/2013

Oh Fank You!

by Anonymousreply 5209/29/2013

R51. I agree. It is easier to just state 'has.'

by Anonymousreply 5309/29/2013

If anyone thought "Jawbreakers", "Mean Girls" and "Heathers" was fiction, think again. High school is more disturbing than anything in fiction.

by Anonymousreply 5409/29/2013

I said.......brr, it's cold in here There must be some Texans in the atmosphere!

I said.......brr, it's cold in here There must be some Texans in the atmosphere!

I said O-E-O-E-O Ice, ice, ice!

Slow it down!

O-E-O-E-O Ice, ice, ice!

(Funk music starts)

by Anonymousreply 5509/29/2013

r18 proves that on the internet there is a pedant for every topic.

by Anonymousreply 5609/29/2013

"“And I don’t know how to explain it to her.”"

Goddamn helicopter parents, they'll do ANYTHING rather than tell a child something it doesn't want to hear. They'd much rather sue or go to the media.

That is no preparation for real life.

by Anonymousreply 5709/29/2013

What does "Fank you" mean?

by Anonymousreply 5809/29/2013

[quote]What does "Fank you" mean?

It's from the thread about a girl with autism(?) at a restaurant whose cheeseburger arrived "broken" (cut in half, I think), and when they graciously gave her another that wasn't cut, her reply was something like, "Oh, FANK YOU! You FIXD my CHEESEBURGER!!!"

by Anonymousreply 5909/29/2013

I must read that thread, R59. Anyone know its title?

by Anonymousreply 6009/29/2013

Nevermind! Should have used the Google myself before asking.

by Anonymousreply 6109/29/2013

it's a shame to admit but cheerleading is a popularity sport. lots of girls in high school didnt' and couldnt' ever make the squad..why should someone who has down syndrome make it just because they're challenged? it's devastating when a boy can't make the football team or a girl can't be a cheerleader but that's life. not everyone can win all the time so parents should not teach their children to expect the world to do them any favors. sorry but it's the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 6209/29/2013

R62, that's why they offer so many different cheerleader squads.

This is NOT varsity, junior varsity, wrestlerettes, or even mathletes; it's fucking volleyball. If you can chew gum and avoid shitting on the floor, you qualify for volleyball*.

Plus, she was on the team and then they replaced the coach and suddenly she was off the team. What changed? The facilitator. Way to fuck up the first day at work, Coach!

*unless you steal the ball

by Anonymousreply 6309/29/2013

it's obvious that the previous coach was making an exception but again, there are too many kids waiting in line trying to make the team (be it freshman, varsity, vball, etc). That doesn't mean this coach has to do the same. Unless downy (your name not mine) is a pretty decent athlete, there's no reason she should be put ahead of the rest. That said, there are plenty of mediocre players on a team at times but for the most part, they sit the bench. I don't recall the cheer squad having bench warmers. Her parents need to explain the truth to her and perhaps opt for enrolling her in a cheerleader camp with others of her own skill and ability level. It's just not right to insist on her being accepted in to a group that does not want her. They are setting her up for disappointment and failure by trying to get the world to change just for her.

by Anonymousreply 6409/29/2013

Maybe her daddy should just murder the other cheerleaders.

by Anonymousreply 6509/29/2013

I just hope some major league sports team sees this piece and offers her a spot on their cheerleading squad.

Chicago Bears could work it to its advantage.

by Anonymousreply 6609/29/2013

Why are there so many assholes in the world?

The other cheerleaders should have stood up for her. You know what kills me? Used to be a cheerleader got to be a cheerleader because she was simply good at it and probably pretty but now the damn parents are so involved, sending their daughters to expensive cheerleader camps and making sure they go to competitions. Can't kids do anything anymore without their goddamn parents getting involved?

Then parents wonder why their kids are still living at home when they are 30.

by Anonymousreply 6709/29/2013

One, two, tell me who are you?

The Bears!

Three, four, tell me who's gonna score?

The Bears!

Five, six, grab your crucifix!

Seven, eight, gonna stay up late!

Nine, ten, never sleep again!

by Anonymousreply 6809/29/2013

Give her a model helicopter and let her chop her head off.

by Anonymousreply 6909/30/2013

This is an honest question. Would someone who's down with the syndrome seriously be able to understand she's being dissed? If she doesn't understand whats going on leave it alone.

by Anonymousreply 7009/30/2013

Not to be too crass, but would it be safe to have a mentally handicapped cheerleader at the bottom or middle of a pyramid? Seems like she'd get distracted pretty easily and put everyone's life in danger.

by Anonymousreply 7109/30/2013

[quote] Maybe her daddy should just murder the other cheerleaders.

Well, it is Texas

by Anonymousreply 7209/30/2013

"This is an honest question. Would someone who's down with the syndrome seriously be able to understand she's being dissed? "

People with Downs' have a large range of intelligence and ability. Some spend their whole lives with the minds of toddlers (imagine a lifetime of "the terrible twos"), some are bright enough to work and be fairly independent.

If this girl was on an earlier cheerleading squad, and her parents are worried about how she'll take this, my guess is that she's fairly high functioning.

by Anonymousreply 7309/30/2013

Dat's da suck job!

by Anonymousreply 7409/30/2013

She obviously got the cheerleader spot as a "favor" and it seems sort of patronizing to her to let her be a cheerleader anyway.

If I were the parents of the girl, I am not sure if I would encourage this honorary cheerleader role anyway... It is sort of embarrassing to her....

by Anonymousreply 7509/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.