Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Video games

Why are video games replacing film and music?

It's no secret that the sales of video games have surpassed film and music sales combined for the last several years. While film and music will never go away, a shift has occurred, repeating the time when film replaced the novel as the star of of American culture during the 20th century. The novel itself displaced poetry in the 19th century.

Will Hollywood adopt to the shift as it did the shift from film to television?

by Left behind by gamingreply 3310/02/2013

What the hell are you blathering about?

by Left behind by gamingreply 109/28/2013

I love Lana Del Rey!

by Left behind by gamingreply 209/29/2013

Do new games like GTA V come out as often as new movies?

by Left behind by gamingreply 409/29/2013

[quote] adopt to the shift

by Left behind by gamingreply 609/29/2013

r5, Marilyn? Perhaps you're referring to Manson.

by Left behind by gamingreply 709/29/2013

A.D.D. would explain why some current movies look like a string of 60, 30 and 10 second TV commercials.

by Left behind by gamingreply 1109/29/2013

What the fuck is GTA?

by Left behind by gamingreply 1209/29/2013

When exactly did tv kill movies?

by Left behind by gamingreply 1309/29/2013

r12 Grand Theft Auto

by Left behind by gamingreply 1409/29/2013

R13, video killed the radio star.

The internet didn't kill books it absorbed them. And mags and news.

by Left behind by gamingreply 1509/29/2013

Wikia as representative of American culture:

On the Wikia website, the biggest category is video games, followed by the "entertainment" category, which includes movies, TV, print fiction, comics and music. Lifestyle (food, drink, sports, hobbies, home decor, politics, etc.) was the third largest category. Datalounge concerns itself almost exclusively to the entertainment and lifestyle categories.

I tried a Nintendo DS console and realized that I will probably never be part of the video game world. American culture changed when I wasn't looking.

What was disconcerting was the realization that in looking over the Wikia site, much of what's discussed on Datalounge is irrelevant to most people under 25 and is considered too "high brow." The few that do show up here are the intellectual elite!

by Left behind by gamingreply 1610/01/2013

R16 you need to take into account that most GAMERS (not people who like to play video games, but people for whom video games are their ONLY THING) tend to be pretty obsessive about it. Any population that is rabidly obsessive when given an open platform (the Internet) tends to generate considerable coverage of said topic, sometimes to the point of the coverage being disproportionate to the population itself.

For example, the Barbra/Judy/Broadway/Etc. set here to an outside observer make so much fervent noise that it may appear that all gay men share their obsessions. That is clearly not the case.

The point is, take Internet coverage, particularly user-generated content with a grain of salt. There is no denying that video games are a huge business, more so than ever. But, just consider your sources before you blow it completely out of proportion in your own mind.

by Left behind by gamingreply 1710/01/2013

Film is definitely declining, but music? And how is any of this related to video games? I listen to music WHILE playing video games so I'm definitely not listening to or buying less music. And the creative forces behind great filmmaking have coalesced nicely on cable programming in the past decade, which is better suited to our new, HD-driven home entertainment habits.

OP, for a non-gamer you sure post like someone who's stoned off of their ass.

by Left behind by gamingreply 1810/01/2013

The sales figures of video games exceed that of the other combined media for the last several years. Just as bestselling novels a generation ago were becoming imitative of movies (see link below), non-game media is becoming imitative of video games.

While no one claims that user generated content on Wikia or similar sites are perfectly representative of the actual market, it roughly matches the dollar share of the represented markets.

r15 noted how the Internet has is absorbing newspapers and book publishing. The net may well absorb the other forms of media.

Will we end up in a world of interactive film, where we can chose our ending? Pick our soundtrack?

by Left behind by gamingreply 1910/01/2013

Other than indulging my nephews by giving them a non-gamer to laugh at and crush once in a while, I don't play video games.

In my misspent youth, I played a game called Asteroids until I could turn over the machine and have as many free games as I wanted. They never interested me after that.

by Left behind by gamingreply 2010/01/2013

[quote]Lots of reasons, the women are actually prettier, they're cartoons, you get to kill & torture people in many of the games, the men are much more masculine (even Trevor the psycho from GTA V is masculine but he's very very bi), AA's are buying up games like mad, AA women are playing GTA V, the stories take a long time, you don't have to go anywhere but stay home and play it, the overhead is high like in GTA V but the payback is much higher (GTA V made a billion $ in one day), you don't get snotnosed wealthy celebs in these games lecturing you how to live correctly when interviewed, there's an element of the wild west and freedom about it, less political correctness, the graphics are pretty amazing.

Yeah, 'cause being holed up in your basement with no snot nosed celebrities to tell you killing and torturing people is wrong, certainly sounds like a fulfilling life.

You sound like a 16 year old going on 12.

by Left behind by gamingreply 2110/01/2013

[quote]The internet didn't kill books it absorbed them. And mags and news.

The internet has actually made it possible for you to find a much larger pool of writers to sample. Movies didn't kill theater, TV didn't kill movies - gaming will no kill any of them.

There is more to the human experience than cash. Money is not why we've been telling each other stories since the dawn of man.

by Left behind by gamingreply 2210/01/2013

Live stage productions--whether opera, musicals, drama, dance--they are all slowly dying. Yet they will always be around in a boutique form. Poetry has been reduced to this status. A century ago, poetry was the central art form in the US. Much development has taken place since then, but it is almost entirely unknown the public at large.

Original and high quality film, television and music is facing the same fate. Part of this is due to the homogenization that takes place when a few transnational corps take over the production. Just three companies sell the majority of music sold in the US and most of the world.

Yes, there's greater access to media, but the quality is being reduced to generic commodity levels. And the increasing dominance of gaming is pressing hard on the other forms of media. Will plays, film, television, music and novels all become mere spin-offs of GTA and Metal of Honor?

by Left behind by gamingreply 2310/01/2013

This thread makes my mussy ache

by Left behind by gamingreply 2410/01/2013

Theater has been "dying" longer than I've been alive. Doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with that.

I highly doubt that people are going to "give up" going out, socializing, or anything else they enjoy for gaming. It is and will remain another option, but there are plenty of people who have no use for it. Just like there are plenty of people who don't like the Opera.

by Left behind by gamingreply 2510/01/2013

If video games are trumping the movie & music industries combined, why do I keep reading all these articles about how the video game industry is in the dumps? That's all I've been getting on my Yahoo feed lately (hate that thing). One article after another about how people are switching to mobile phone games & abandoning their consoles.

by Left behind by gamingreply 2610/01/2013

Anyone have quarters for the Ms. Pac-man machine?

by Left behind by gamingreply 2810/01/2013

Grand Theft Auto... JEAH!

Seriously, I just read that attendance at plays is down 33% over the last decade. That's down by one-THIRD.

That's really depressing.

by Left behind by gamingreply 2910/01/2013

r9 here, I don't play them & I'm female but I'm extremely familiar with them via the men I know & they're almost all into it.

by Left behind by gamingreply 3010/01/2013

Live theatre has become a niche entertainment for ageing, middle-class whiteys. The casual gaming market is moving to mobile devices, and console games are becoming ridiculously impressive when it comes to graphical presentation and, in some cases, story development (see The Last Of Us, GTA V, Journey). Generally, the most hardcore gamers play on PC so they can max out graphics settings on high-performance machines. The gaming market is fractured and diverse.

by Left behind by gamingreply 3110/01/2013

Gamer here, sorry, I've never played a game that had an "impressive" story. Most of them are hopelessly derivative.

Perhaps you could point me to that.

by Left behind by gamingreply 3210/02/2013

Storylines in video games SUCK. That's why I like Nintendo--they drop you into the game and then GTFO of your way. Go save the princess, bitch!

by Left behind by gamingreply 3310/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!