Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do British people know when British stars try to make it in the US and fail?

I'm curious if they know how some of the UK celebrities who tried to make it big here--like Russell Brand, Robbie Williams, Ruby Wax--largely flopped, and if it's considered embarrassing for the celebs if they couldn't make a cross over in terms of their appeal.

by Anonymousreply 16012/29/2013

People definitely know Robbie didn't take off. Never knew Ruby Wax even tried and as a lot of people seem to know who Russell Brand I assume he had some limited success. I don't think anyone thinks any the less of them. Robbie is still a big name and doing well both solo and when with Take That.

by Anonymousreply 109/28/2013

For all of the shit those people talk about the US, they're sure desperate to be famous here and if they themselves aren't trying, then they certainly take pride in the ones who do make it.

by Anonymousreply 209/28/2013

Oh we know, especially when they have reality shows following them trying to break the American market like The Saturdays.

by Anonymousreply 309/28/2013

Ruby Wax is from Illinois. She was already an adult when she emigrated to the UK. Russell Brand got parts in high-profile movies until his big flop, "Arthur." "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and "Get Him to the Greek" were relatively successful movies that many people have seen.

by Anonymousreply 409/28/2013

and Russell Brand now is known as Katy Perry's ex, that helps too.

by Anonymousreply 509/28/2013

I think the British have the internet as well, OP.

by Anonymousreply 609/28/2013

[quote] For all of the shit those people talk about the US, they're sure desperate to be famous here and if they themselves aren't trying, then they certainly take pride in the ones who do make it.

It's a simple case of economics. The US is a big market.

by Anonymousreply 709/28/2013

[quote] Do British people know when British stars try to make it in the US and fail?

Not yet, but I hear the UK is supposed to get internet access by 2015.

by Anonymousreply 809/28/2013

and add kylie minogue to the list, i know she is australian, but still big name in britain

by Anonymousreply 909/28/2013

I wonder why certain US acts make it bigger across the pond. For example, Blondie or Scissor Sisters.

by Anonymousreply 1009/28/2013

Joss Stone *snickers*

by Anonymousreply 1109/28/2013

R4, Please don't forget Russell Brands' typecast role in Hop.

by Anonymousreply 1209/28/2013

Most people could give two shits about what does or does not work in the US.

by Anonymousreply 1309/28/2013

It doesn't keep us from trying, though!

by Anonymousreply 1409/28/2013

[quote] could give two shits

by Anonymousreply 1509/28/2013

Uh, there's no "Oh Dear" about what I said at R13. It's slang.

Also, it's "Oh, dear." Commas are your friend.

by Anonymousreply 1609/29/2013

R13 if that were true, they wouldn't keep trying to make it big here. Nice try but you fail in attempting to minimize how important the US market is. There's a reason why so many Brits come over to the US-ego and money. They feel they have conquered small UK and want to move on to bigger and better projects.

by Anonymousreply 1709/29/2013

R13 its "most people could NOT give two shits". If they gave two shits, that means they care, if they could not be bothered to, then they don't care.

by Anonymousreply 1809/29/2013

what a stupid dumbass question, course we know whats going on. your pointless gossip fills our newspapers and magazines every day. every day we are bombarded with pointless mindless rubbish about celebrities what they are shoving in their face, snorting up their nose or what bit they have had adjusted on their face and bodies. who´s got pregnant by who, whose cheated with someone else, a whole stream of drivel and drama. yes we have the internet, high speed as well, we got rid of the dial up a while back, and guess what we have cell phones too. WOOHOO we almost there America yay!!

by Anonymousreply 2009/29/2013

R19,

Get some punctuation, while you're at it.

by Anonymousreply 2109/29/2013

This is the country that gave us the Kardashians. Enough said.

by Anonymousreply 2209/29/2013

[quote]...so instead of insulting the british celebrities that come to your shores...

Hey I know, instead of not appreciating them, we could make them huge movie, music and television stars. We'll have to try that someday.

Oh, wait....

by Anonymousreply 2309/29/2013

The UK is so ovah!

by Anonymousreply 2409/30/2013

Is it OK to insult the insufferably smarmy Piers Morgan?

by Anonymousreply 2509/30/2013

I hate Piers Morgan!!! It was funny the other night when Bill Clinton mentioned his ratings and he got all huffy. (Clinton was actually in the verge of complementing him but smarmy Piers cut him off)

by Anonymousreply 2609/30/2013

You made them into stars now that's amazing they didn't have to do anything at all. They would have suffered so bad had they stayed in the UK, lived on scraps, foraged in bins, maybe even been hobos.. Thank god you rescued them and made them into huge stars where would they be without you...

by Anonymousreply 2709/30/2013

Piers Morgan is not a typical brit and is not liked in Britain. his ratings were so low he had to go to the US where his type of humour I guess must go down better with you guys. He is a smarmy wanker

by Anonymousreply 2809/30/2013

[quote]he had to go to the US where his type of humour I guess must go down better with you guys.

no. he is hated and his ratings are terrible

by Anonymousreply 2909/30/2013

Suzy Quatro was huge in the UK and virtually unknown in the US. And she's American.

by Anonymousreply 3009/30/2013

The outrage in the UK when Chris Rock eviscerated Jude Law at the Oscars was hilarious. But Chris spoke the truth and everyone knows it. Many others have failed, including the Beckhams who had the biggest collective media effort to shove them down Americas, throat. But when they do make it, they literally become and behave too big for the UK scene and are treated like gods back home. I couldn't believe it when they started calling Adele the best singer in history or saying Amy Winehouse is better and has more soul than Ella Fitzgerald. These singers are mimics who've never set foot in a black church but pretend to have "soul". Most british singers sing in an American accent.

by Anonymousreply 3109/30/2013

and listen up whoever posted this dumbass question in the first place, "people no matter what they try are never failures because they tried and they will probably keep on trying", if it doesn't work out doesn't mean you have failed at something you just work it a different way. I hate this stupid question it made me so mad tonight,negative bullshit now go away im sleeping

by Anonymousreply 3209/30/2013

You can't praise Adele as the best ever then turn to criticising Celine Dion as bland and insufferable, because they're the same type of singer.

by Anonymousreply 3309/30/2013

No, R27, you nasty little teenage whinger, that's not what I wrote at all, nor did I imply it.

You accused Americans of not embracing UK entertainers. The reality is that we do embrace them, we always have and we will continue to do so. If they would prefer to work exclusively in the UK and Europe, they have always been perfectly free to do that. Most of them want success in America. No one's forcing them, they choose to come here and try for it.

If that bothers you, take it up with them or with BAFTA, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3409/30/2013

But it takes so long for Americans to realise how untalented the likes of Russell Brands and Piers Morgans of this world are.

by Anonymousreply 3509/30/2013

LMAO at the British on here acting as if their only contact with gossip is through the USA when just about every newspaper in England is a tabloid rag.

by Anonymousreply 3609/30/2013

lets get one thing clear we don't even like the Beckhams, David is tolerable, Victoria is a mess. No-one in the UK gives a shit about them when they were here in the US or now they have moved back to the UK. All the things you don't like about the UK celebrities hitting your shores and messing it up and being pushed down your throats we don't like them either. Adele is a great singer, the greatest ever no I doubt it. Amy Winehouse she was just a hot mess, decent singer but yeah not comparable to Ella..

by Anonymousreply 3709/30/2013

Russell Brand is funny, he coasted for a while.

Piers - not so much. Simon Cowell foisted him upon us as a "judge" (read, stooge) in one of his talent shows. The median intellect of the Americans who watch those shows is rock bottom. I'm not sure how he got the CNN gig.

by Anonymousreply 3809/30/2013

[quote]Most people could [not] give two shits about what does or does not work in the US.

That's pretty much it. OP seems to suggest that it might be some point of national embarrassment that Robbie Williams failed to become a sensation in the U.S. (Poor Robbie, smarting from the shame, drying his tears with $160M, hurt that he can leave his home among the palm trees in L.A. and not be thronged by screaming hordes.)

Brits regard the U.S. as a big, rich market, "Well, that's where the money is, isn't it?" They recognize that for some, there comes the offer or opportunity that's too good to refuse, a chance to make big sums of money in short periods of time.

Brits also tend to a different attitude toward actors and performers, with emphasis on maintaining a long working career rather than an ever ascending career trajectory. Jumping about and doing different sorts of things is more a standard practice in the U.K. It's a smaller field of opportunity, and with that there's less "shame" in jumping from film to TV or from theatre to film, etc. By contrast the American model insists that it's stars always be reaching ever greater heights: the stars of Seinfeld and Friends are "has-beens" because no subsequent success, no matter how well received or well paid, will never touch their peak popularity.

Brit performers can be embarrassed, of course, though changing gears and trying new things in a career isn't so deeply embarrassing as it is to Americans who must always be seen moving steadily up, up, up.

by Anonymousreply 3909/30/2013

The latest of the self-congratulatory "we've conquered America" episode was when John Oliver (very competently) stood in for Jon Stewart when he took his hiatus. All the articles were all gleefully stating how "we now know the Daily Show can survive without Jon Stewart" and how Jon Oliver was on the cusp of American greatness because he's on the verge of overthrowing Stewart. This, in part, because the Brits wish they had a Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert (which they inexplicably don't).

John Oliver was very funny but he's no Jon Stewart. He's innocuous and not as cutting, people would not really be afraid to be on the receiving end of his jokes. The Bill O'Rileys and his like won't feel compelled to respond or defend himself against his attacks. It's like being lampooned on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 4009/30/2013

Is Ricky Gervais (and his humor) well regarded in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 4109/30/2013

Absolutely R25, have at him. Just as long as you keep him there.

by Anonymousreply 4209/30/2013

Far too many are being pushed down Americans' throats. Seriously I'm tired of mediocre Brits. If we're going to have imports, they need to be top notch and most of them just aren't.

by Anonymousreply 4309/30/2013

We should probably issue an official Apology On Behalf Of The Nation for exporting Piers Morgan.

by Anonymousreply 4409/30/2013

Every British actor that gets any kind of role in America is written up in the press as "set to break America"

I put "break America" into the Daily Mail's search and look what came up

by Anonymousreply 4509/30/2013

We don't accept your apology R44

by Anonymousreply 4609/30/2013

r45, that's fascinating. Except for Russell Brand (and I know of him only because he dated Katy Perry and because the studios kept trying to foist him on us) and David Tennant, I have no idea who those people are.

Cher Lloyd? Shaheen Jafargholi? The Wanted? Steve Jones? Trinny & Susannah?

by Anonymousreply 4709/30/2013

r43

As a Brit I agree and wish some of the pathetic Brits on this forum would not get their panties in a twist because you insulted robbie Williams-like really? You dumbasses really think that record companies give money away for FREE and it's not a loan? Dare I say it but the loathesome Lily Allen said it best when she broke down the record industry for the retarted-YOU HAVE TO PAY IT ALL BACK!

There are soo many talented British artists who don't have the power or the contacts to get the help to make it in the UK-see Cheryl Cole and the other minger from X factor.

What I like about your country is that anyone with talent can reasonably make it depending on their glass ceilings etc but here you can not.

Emma Thompson etc all went to Cambridge. If you didn't come that root then you came through the Jude Law route of casting couch and scencester root. The Cambridge route is actually easier as all you have to do is come from Cambridge Uni and then make your case BUT the Law route is damn hard if the casting agents/producers etc on the scene don't want to f*ck you or want to be you.

Re The Kardashians etc. We gave the US reality TV (Big Brother, Idol etc ALL British exports. And from what I read, The Kardashians only get 3 million viewers...on E! a cable channel. Now the US is a big place and if I'm not mistaken, that does not make them universally popular.

Furthermore, I've notice they are a media obsession and more importantly the gay and liberal media. The right wing more mainstream media do not seem to speak about them at ALL.

All these terrible celeb American reality shows are on E! or Bravo. Both run by...gay men-Andy Cohen and Seacrest. Both The K's and The Housewives STILL only pull in just 3 million but before that were seriously unpopular with both Cohen & Seacrest going beyond the call of duty to make these shows a success.

American reality shows like 'Pawn Wars'(right titleish?)about real American people pull in 6 million with NO publicity at all.

I think this says a lot. We must get over media hype-it really screws up the reality of a situation if you're lazy to research or seriously slow that you need to be spoonfed all information.

by Anonymousreply 4809/30/2013

[quote]We gave the US reality TV (Big Brother, Idol etc ALL British exports.

"Big Brother" was conceived in the Netherlands by Endemol Productions (granted, nothing to be proud of). It premiered in Holland in 1999.

by Anonymousreply 4909/30/2013

My, you're an angry little rabbit, r19, r20, & r32.

by Anonymousreply 5009/30/2013

are you kidding me? cheryl cole is great? u must be deaf.

love ricky gervais. hate R. brand.

I like david harewood, he played estes in homeland.

not sure how i feel about that guy who plays luther. he was a drug dealer in nyc.

hate clive owen. Daniel Craig is OK.

by Anonymousreply 5109/30/2013

I hated Charles Dance.

by Anonymousreply 5209/30/2013

The only ppl who have made it big in the US right now are the annoying boy band one direction. Maybe the cast of Downton Abbey. But all in all both sides of the pond have their successes and failures. Both the UK and the US have their fair share of trash and treasures. I don't understand the animosity between the Brits and Americans both countries have their positives and negatives. We are blessed that we have the freedoms we have be thankful u don't live in Syria or Egypt etc. just fucking chill with this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 5309/30/2013

[quote]As a Brit I agree and wish some of the pathetic Brits on this forum would not get their panties in a twist because you insulted robbie Williams-like really?

It is either 'panties in a bunch' (US) or 'knickers in a twist' (UK). R48 types in a mid-Atlantic accent.

by Anonymousreply 5409/30/2013

Pippa Middleton is considered a fugly troll in the US, yet she's worshipped in England.

by Anonymousreply 5509/30/2013

I'm sure plenty of US actors/celebs are shoved down global throats (Brangelina, Kardashians anyone?) and the audience is just as pissed. UK actors/singers Next year it could be Moldovans for all we know. Chillax, Yanks.

by Anonymousreply 5609/30/2013

R53, don't forget Adele.

by Anonymousreply 5709/30/2013

[quote]We should probably issue an official Apology On Behalf Of The Nation for exporting Piers Morgan.

Nah. It's not as if we ever apologized for sending you Madge and Goop. t

by Anonymousreply 5809/30/2013

It always surprised me that Marc Bolan (T. Rex) didn't have more success in the States. He was a huge star in Britain 1971/1972. He owned the airwaves.

by Anonymousreply 5909/30/2013

Ruby Wax is not a Brit who tried to make it in the U.S. and failed.

She's an American who tried to make it in the U.K. and found some success.

by Anonymousreply 6009/30/2013

The British press reports that their fellow countrymen are the biggest things ever in the US when they've failed. Brits are none the wiser. Their concept of America comes from television.

by Anonymousreply 6109/30/2013

The Kardashians are huge in the UK. The country is also notorious for treating American has-beens like royalty.

by Anonymousreply 6209/30/2013

[quote]Re The Kardashians etc. We gave the US reality TV (Big Brother

You didn't give us Big Brother, hon, and we had tv talent shows going back to the 80s. "Star Search" was huge and found many of the celebs you know today. "The Voice" is what's big now. AI and X-Factor are flops.

by Anonymousreply 6309/30/2013

[r61] The British press reports that their fellow countrymen are the biggest things ever in the US when they've failed. Brits are none the wiser. Their concept of America comes from television.

What century are you posting from? While the British press love to do "The British Are Coming!" articles, they also love to do companion "Beloved Brit Fails to crack US" pieces. The US media cannot compare to the UK in terms of being shady bitches.

by Anonymousreply 6409/30/2013

[quote]The Kardashians are huge in the UK. [bold]The country is also notorious for treating American has-beens like royalty.[/bold]

Only a fair exchange, I suppose, for the American's breathless obsession with The Royal Family (outside of tabloid headline writers, nobody in the UK could give a shit about them.)

by Anonymousreply 6509/30/2013

[quote]outside of tabloid headline writers, nobody in the UK could give a shit about them

No, and the "Royal baby" wasn't a national obsession for months at all.

by Anonymousreply 6609/30/2013

[quote] What's sad is that the product put out by the UK (both TV and movies) is far superior to the absolute shit put out in America these days.

That's not true. Britain hardly has a film industry. And British TV drama has gone down the toilet since reality TV took over.

by Anonymousreply 6809/30/2013

Notice Eddie Izzard dropped the drag routine once he was offered steady tv work in the US.

by Anonymousreply 6909/30/2013

[quote]British TV drama has gone down the toilet since reality TV took over.

Signs of recovery though in the last two years or so: 'Red Riding', 'Line of Duty', 'Silk', 'Inside Men', 'Broadchurch', 'Southcliffe' and 'What Remains' were as good as anything I've seen on UK TV - by which benchmark I mean 'Prime Suspect' and 'State of Play.' (David Thomson called the 'Red Riding' trilogy 'better than "The Godfather.")

Happily, alternatives a world away from 'Downton Abbey' somehow reach the small screen.

by Anonymousreply 7009/30/2013

[quote] What's sad is that the product put out by the UK (both TV and movies) is far superior to the absolute shit put out in America these days.

Lol. There is no British film industry. And Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter, Deadwood, Big Bang Theory, Big Love, The Sopranos, SatC, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Homeland (yes, I know it's based on an Israeli show -- it's better than the original, in my opinion), Eastbound and Down, Sons of Anarchy, Arrested Development, the L&O franchise, Game of Thrones, the Simpsons, 24, The Walking Dead, The X Files, House, Orange is the New Black, The Good Wife, Friday Night Lights, Southland, Grimm, Sleepy Hollow, Carnivale, Girls, Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, The Shield, Six Feet Under, Oz' Weeds, Nurse Jackie, Maaters of Sex and Justified are not "absolute shit," you peanut brained Anglophile.

You can keep your Downton Abbey, a third rate soap opera with first rate set and clothes and your Office , Broadchurch, Luther, Silk, Copper and Inspector Lewis. I think they happen to be shitty shows. And yes, I know there are UK and Australian actors in American tv shows. They cost less and guarantee a large audience in the UK, Ireland and Australia. UK, Australian and Continental actors have always worked in Hollywood. Niven, Grant, Garbo, Bergman, Boyer, Burton, Olivier, Montand, Loren -- we don't discriminate against foreign actors and it's laudable.

by Anonymousreply 7109/30/2013

Have any American stars tried to make it in the UK and failed? For example enter the UK charts and flopped despite hits stateside or get a hit show on the West End?

by Anonymousreply 7209/30/2013

College rock like Dave Matthews Band never really took off there.

by Anonymousreply 7309/30/2013

Conversely, American artists like Anastasia were quite big in Europe for a time, while remaining virtually unknown at home.

by Anonymousreply 7409/30/2013

[quote]Have any American stars tried to make it in the UK and failed?

What are you lookin' at?

by Anonymousreply 7509/30/2013

R73 Thanks, there last album last year debuted at No 1 on the US billboard, but clearly not made waves in the UK. Sometimes US shows also get shown in the UK but are dropped because they do not have the same success as in the US

by Anonymousreply 7609/30/2013

R75 Someone who married a Brit!

by Anonymousreply 7709/30/2013

Brits are often more amenable to American acts that have decline commercially at home. For example, Diana Ross had her last solo UK No. 1 in 1991 and her last Top 10 in 1999, long after her pop success decline in the US. And Debbie Harry become the oldest female to have a UK No. 1 with Maria (I think she beat Cher).

by Anonymousreply 7809/30/2013

[quote] What century are you posting from?

And what bizzaro alternative version of the UK?

Personally, I love it when some no-mark ego maniac like Robbie falls flat on his face in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 7909/30/2013

[quote] And what bizzaro alternative version of the UK?

You're disputing that the UK press love to bitch about and demean their own?

May I suggest you peruse some UK articles on Kate Winslet?

by Anonymousreply 8009/30/2013

[quote] You're disputing that the UK press love to bitch about and demean their own?

Not at all! I couldn't agree more with that point. It was more of a comment on the whole thread, and the idea that the average Brit was offended by Chris Rock ripping the piss out of Jude Law. Or that we are all obsessed with Pippa Middleton. Or that we only know about America from TV - like it's some mythical place that Brits never travel to, or work in.

by Anonymousreply 8109/30/2013

Brit celebrities are so much classier than American celebs.

by Anonymousreply 8209/30/2013

you DO know that Ruby Wax is an American, don't you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 8309/30/2013

[quote] Brit celebrities are so much classier than American celebs.

True.

by Anonymousreply 8409/30/2013

R82 Exactly, there is Brit trash and US trash, The Kardashians and Jordan and Peter Andre are not in the same league as, say, Martin Sheen and Helen Mirren regardless of nationality!

by Anonymousreply 8509/30/2013

That's one of the delights of the internet. The whole world can see England's Rose, Jodie Marsh.

by Anonymousreply 8609/30/2013

[quote] That's one of the delights of the internet. The whole world can see England's Rose, Jodie Marsh.

Ah, that natural beauty... like the mutant offspring of Tanning Mom and Carrot Top.

by Anonymousreply 8709/30/2013

Isn't martin sheen hispanic?

by Anonymousreply 8809/30/2013

Actually, back in the day, Jodie was very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 8909/30/2013

I had my own sitcom in the UK, but never at home!

by Anonymousreply 9009/30/2013

R88 Martin Sheen was born in Dayton, Ohio although his father came from Spain and his mother from Ireland (but of cause every Americans family were immigrants if you go back a few generations!)

by Anonymousreply 9109/30/2013

Martin Sheen's real name is Grieco.

by Anonymousreply 9209/30/2013

R10 I remember when Scissor Sisters became a big success here they were said they couldn't get airplay in most of America as it was considered "too gay".

I think acts like One Direction, Susan Boyle and Little Mix have it easier to "break" America now. Breaking America was always a big deal to UK pop acts. The Spice Girls were considered a huge success for managing to be so big in America, even if was only for 2/3 years. Robbie Williams would have had to spend months in America doing all sorts of promo. Now you can get some attention on Twitter linking to your YouTube video and you get millions of views without ever even being in America.

by Anonymousreply 9309/30/2013

You had two sitcoms here Stritchy. The second one was a remake of Maude. Apparently you took some Maude scripts and adapted them. Shame it's never surfaced on Youtube

by Anonymousreply 9409/30/2013

Sorry meant to reference R90 in my post above...

by Anonymousreply 9509/30/2013

r94

I'm speechless

by Anonymousreply 9609/30/2013

[quote]You can keep your Downton Abbey, a third rate soap opera with first rate set and clothes and your Office ,

I think the American Office was a vast improvement, Ricky Gervais is only tolerable to a point then starts to get painful. And his Evangelical Atheism was never going to fly in the U.S. All moot because he's over, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 9709/30/2013

Could someone explain why most British singers sing in southern American or black accents? Where do they get their "soul" when they didn't grow up in that culture or know the meaning of gospel? Do you cringe when Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Winehouse, Adele or Joss Stone affect a blackcent in their music with their "oh, lord, can I get a witness?" hollering?

by Anonymousreply 9809/30/2013

Can we fucking send back Satan Cowell, Petty Morgan, The Osbournes, Robert Pattinson...the list is endless. They're all non-talent trash.

by Anonymousreply 9909/30/2013

[italic]Idris Elba isn't afraid of his shadowy past. Actually, the actor seems to find revealing his secrets cathartic, as noted in his profile for GQ's October issue.

The 41-year-old British actor rose to fame as a drug kingpin on HBO's critically acclaimed "The Wire."[bold] He's also massively famous in Britain[/bold] and is in his third season of the detective drama "Luther." He's had a guest spot on "The Office," starred in "Pacific Rim" and will appear in this fall's "Thor: The Dark World." He's also set to play iconic South African leader Nelson Mandela in "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom" and is currently filming "The Gunman" with Sean Penn and Javier Bardem in Madrid.[/italic]

No, Idris Elba isn't massively famous in Britain because black british people are never really allowed to be top-tier. Even in sports, the media will always hype the white footballer over a more talented black one. The exception, right now, is a Somali distance runner called Mo' Farah who's their biggest hope in track and field on a par with Usain Bolt. He's only British as long as he wins races for them.

by Anonymousreply 10109/30/2013

r101

Linford Christie?

Lennox Lewis?

Chris Eubank?

by Anonymousreply 10209/30/2013

Robbie Williams certainly made out OK. He can go anywhere in the US without being recognized. He is extremely wealthy. His break with Guy Chambers is probably what derailed his career in the US. Guy is really good at writing catchy pop hits. His record company in the US also dropped the ball. I would have taken "Hot Fudge" and promoted it big time. It had the 1970s Elton John sound and should have been a hit.

I can't even believe his next CD. It is "Swings Both Ways" or something like that. He even duets with Rufus Wainwright. I didn't think he could do anything gayer than the Shame video with Gary Barlow. Maybe I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10309/30/2013

r102. Were there any white men in any of those three men's league?

by Anonymousreply 10410/01/2013

[quote]Robbie Williams certainly made out OK. He can go anywhere in the US without being recognized.

That's the exact opposite of what he actually wanted.

by Anonymousreply 10510/01/2013

[quote]I think the American Office was a vast improvement, Ricky Gervais is only tolerable to a point then starts to get painful

You're insane. The original series was far superior to the American version.

And "In the Thick of it" is one of the funniest shows EVER.

by Anonymousreply 10610/01/2013

[quote]Do you cringe when Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Winehouse, Adele or Joss Stone affect a blackcent in their music with their "oh, lord, can I get a witness?" hollering?

LOL. It's funny because those poseurs have never been to church, let alone a black church. Some are even atheists.

by Anonymousreply 10710/01/2013

Steve Carrell over Ricky Gervais any day. The only bad thing about the American version was the Jim and Pam storyline. The American cast was far better.

by Anonymousreply 10810/01/2013

"Gareth" and "Tim" were funnier.

by Anonymousreply 10910/01/2013

Didn't last football seas the NFL hyped RG3 a lot here in the USA? The USA definitely hypes a lot of AA people.

In the UK are they considered Afro-Brit? Or just Jamaicans? Or black people?

I know in Europe, say Germany they are Afro-Europeans. Germany doesn't feel comfortable saying Schwarze, even though it only means black. Jews too, in Yiddish (which is a German based language) don't really say schwarze anymore.

One interesting thing is going to France and seeing a hotel with the word NEGRO (was it negropont?), the seaside resort is really popular, forgot the name of the place, near Monaco.

by Anonymousreply 11010/01/2013

Lots of Brits are more famous here. Sheena Easton and Olivia Newton-John are two that were much, much, MUCH bigger in America than in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 11110/01/2013

[quote]It doesn't keep us from trying, though! by: S. Fry, failed CBS pilot veteran

Tell me about it, bro!

by Anonymousreply 11210/01/2013

R110 they are just Britons. If you have to draw attention to race, then black. This whole clumsy Afro-whatever construct doesn't exist. If they are not British, then people tend to have an idea whether the person is Jamaican, Bajan, Ghanaian or whatever.

You should also take a trip to Trier (birthplace of Karl Marx) in Germany. The most famous landmark there is a Roman gate - the Porta Nigra, which sounds kind of redneck.

by Anonymousreply 11310/01/2013

I loathed Piers Morgan for his slobbering all over the Romneys.

but... he is the only high-profile person on national U.S. television to speak his mind about the stupidity and cowardliness of US politicians failing to control gun violence, and he does so face-to-face with these weasels. Plus his coverage of the Trayvon Martin murder was spot-on.

by Anonymousreply 11410/01/2013

[quote]Rupert Everett, failed ABC pilot veteran

To his credit RE writes winningly about the most recent US TV flop (co-star Derek Jacobi!) in his (excellent) second memoir, 'Vanished Years.'

by Anonymousreply 11510/01/2013

Whatever happened to Ringo?

by Anonymousreply 11610/01/2013

"Whatever happened to Ringo?"

It's Richard, actually...

by Anonymousreply 11710/01/2013

[quote]To his credit RE writes winningly about the most recent US TV flop (co-star Derek Jacobi!) in his (excellent) second memoir, 'Vanished Years.'

Interesting, I would like to read what he said, as I crewed on that flop.

by Anonymousreply 11810/01/2013

I'm not signing anything any more! I'm much to busy!

by Anonymousreply 11910/01/2013

R118, do you have any interesting tidbits to share about it?

by Anonymousreply 12010/01/2013

R 3 - Regarding the Beckhams the British Media will not admit that the Beckhams failed to crack America. They pretend that they did.

R 55 regarding Pippa Middleton - only by the British Media everyone else here can see that she is a free loading bitch.

Robbie Williams was desperate to crack America. He did everything he could, he moved there and his record label threw a ton of money to try to achieve it. It's got to go down in history as a totally epic fail.

I couldn't understand the British media and the way they totally gloated when British presenter Steve Jones failed and got sacked.

Could any Americans tell me if James Corden is a success over there. He is popular with the British media and they are always claiming he has cracked America and how he is making movie's with and hanging out with Johnny Depp.

by Anonymousreply 12110/01/2013

[quote]Could any Americans tell me if James Corden is a success over there. He is popular with the British media and they are always claiming he has cracked America and how he is making movie's with and hanging out with Johnny Depp.

I'll let you know after I google to see who he is

by Anonymousreply 12210/01/2013

Oh Lord, that fuck?

The answer is: No.

by Anonymousreply 12310/01/2013

Corden is playing one of the biggest parts in Into The Woods with Streep. However, as yet, he's really only known among the New York theatre community and anglophiles.

by Anonymousreply 12410/01/2013

I thought James Corden was an obnoxious comedian.

by Anonymousreply 12510/01/2013

More comic actor. I think he hosts a panel show as well. But he doesn't do stand-up.

by Anonymousreply 12610/01/2013

[quote]But he doesn't do stand-up.

Because his knees would buckle.

by Anonymousreply 12710/01/2013

R121, WHO?!

by Anonymousreply 12810/01/2013

A major part of the British media's coverage of the royal wedding and baby, was the American media's coverage of the royal wedding and baby. I call an inferiority complex.

by Anonymousreply 12910/01/2013

Most Brits I know like to pretend only non-Brits care about the royal family. That's just not true, as the constant coverage of the Windsors in the British papers proves.

by Anonymousreply 13010/01/2013

Did Graham Norton fail? Why did he choose Chicago for his American show? I'm not a fan but I did notice his show didn't last very long. Was that intentional?

by Anonymousreply 13110/01/2013

[quote]A major part of the British media's coverage of the royal wedding and baby, was the American media's coverage of the royal wedding and baby. I call an inferiority complex.

[quote]Most Brits I know like to pretend only non-Brits care about the royal family. That's just not true, as the constant coverage of the Windsors in the British papers proves.

Can't we just agree that there were idiots all over the world who either gave a shit or couldn't care less about it, regardless of geo. location?

by Anonymousreply 13210/01/2013

R128 He won a Tony so made it onto American TV at least once. Although even the people who watched it probably didn't know who it was and forgot him by the time his speech was done. Do the Tonys even get a big audience in America?

R130 There is a lot of Royal coverage here, especially in the middle market papers like the Daily Mail. Diana was the one who really kicked that off. I genuinely do think though a lot of us in the UK are not that interested. I think because they are here in our country, we get constant updates and eventually complacency and indifference sets in. I know American media goes big on the weddings and births and understandably so, but I'm guessing on a nightly basis you're not getting news on the Queen attending a function or Charles and Camilla going to Africa on a trip. I think the media feel they need to report endless official events out of duty but it's of no real interest to most Brits on a day to day basis.

by Anonymousreply 13310/01/2013

If you want to see Brits desperate for American approval, watch their coverage of the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 13410/01/2013

[quote]do you have any interesting tidbits to share about it?

Regarding Rupert Everett's failed sitcom pilot "Mr. Ambassador" co-staring Derek Jacobi... produced on stage 5 of the Disney Studios in Burbank.

As the title implies, RE played the UK ambassador to the US.

DJ played his executive assistant, or whatever that position is.

The character of the ambassador was that of a playboy, shallow and irresponsible, with Jakobi keeping him in line.

Anyway, RE was a nice guy. Friendly and professional, no attitude, and a good sense of humor. He kept a boy-toy (or toy boy, to the Brits) in his dressing room. The boy-toy looked and acted like a hustler, and, although never seen on the stage, acted jealously toward anyone who came to the dressing room, even on business.

It was a joy to work on the same show as Derek Jacobi. Very approachable, very friendly and down-to-earth.

As it was just a pilot that wasn't picked up, there's really nothing more to say regarding those few weeks.

Perhaps one reason it failed was that it was ABC. Fox or one of the cable channels probably could have made it work. Maybe the suits at ABC or Disney didn't believe that ABC viewers would buy an out gay admitted former prostitute actor as the British ambassador to the US?

by Anonymousreply 13510/02/2013

[quote]Perhaps one reason it failed...

Oh, honey.

by Anonymousreply 13610/02/2013

Dan Stevens from Downton Abbey has no career now.

by Anonymousreply 13710/02/2013

That's why the second British Wave starting with Human League and really taking effect with Duran Duran and Culture Club was so much fun. All the British and UK groups had lots of hits. It was fun!! 1983-85/6 was the best..

by Anonymousreply 13810/02/2013

I never heard of Ruby Wax until I moved to UK from NY about 20 years ago. She's one of the UNfunniest comics I've ever seen. She was everywhere the 4 years I spent there and I never understood the Brits' fascination with her. She's one of those comedians who really has no sense of humor, kinda like Dane Cook. Plus, she's always knocking the US.

by Anonymousreply 13910/02/2013

Wax was OK on TV, busy and lively if never funny. She actually did some watchable documentaries with Sarah Ferguson, and OJ.

Also some good late-night chat shows with mixes of interesting DL favourites - Everett, McGregor, Izzard, Dominic Dunne, Hugh Laurie among others. No studio audience, no plugging, just interaction.

Anyway, her issues caught up with her and she went to Oxford to study psychology. She's recently published a book about depression.

by Anonymousreply 14010/03/2013

Is the X Factor failing in America?

There are no real reports on it in the UK. I heard something about the ratings are not what they were hoping for. Gary Barlow and Sharon Osbourne are not doing the X Factor UK next year so I assume they will make a big deal in the British media about Simon 'Satan' Cowell returning to the UK version to save it and bringing back Cheryl Cole. You heard it here first.

For some reason the British Media support Cowell. They won't report on his failings and haven't trashed him over getting his so called friend's wife pregnant. If that had been anyone else apart from Corden and the Beckhams of course they would have been trashed.

Also who is to say that the baby is Cowell's.

by Anonymousreply 14110/22/2013

The British Media are now trying to say that James Corden is being tipped for an Oscar nomination for his role in One Chance.

by Anonymousreply 14210/23/2013

Some Posh & Becks gossip. I was having brunch with American friends in Notting Hill this weekend and apparently a mutual American acquaintance of ours recently had the two in for full matching spa days. When our friend (who massaged Victoria) spoke, Victoria said, incredulously, "You're American!! What the hell are you doing over here?!"

Explains the move to LA Galaxy.

by Anonymousreply 14310/23/2013

R131 His show was based in NYC, not Chicago. But yes, he failed badly and went running back to the UK after his US show flopped after one season.

I don't understand why British celebs can't just be content in the UK if they're successful there. The ones that fail and run back to the UK always end up looking laughable.

by Anonymousreply 14410/23/2013

[quote]Is the X Factor failing in America?

Totally. It's in it's third season and each season has less viewers than the previous one. People are totally over Cowell's shitty shows in the US.

by Anonymousreply 14510/23/2013

Yes, we do, OP. And we're usually glad because the ones that flop in the US also tend to be the annoying, overexposed ones that are always shoved in your face back home. They think that just because they've "made it" in Britain, they'll be able to take it to the supposed next stage, and "break into the US". At least for the brief time that they're off annoying you in America, we don't have to put up with them.

R130, I understand why British people would be interested in the royal family. The monarch is the head of state and has a constitutional role, the monarchy runs through British history and they have been part of our culture and society for centuries. They are, after all, the British royal family and also have public roles as patrons of charities, etc. Of course, this doesn't mean that everyone in Britain is a royal supporter. But, what I can't understand is why the fuck they are so famous abroad, when they are just celebrities, and have no constitutional, institutional or national role (aside from in the Commonwealth, perhaps).

by Anonymousreply 14610/23/2013

[quote]At least for the brief time that they're off annoying you in America, we don't have to put up with them.

Ho ho! Try stopping British media from covering every bit of these homegrown lads/lasses made good careers as they "break America".

by Anonymousreply 14710/25/2013

Satan Cowell's X-Factor is flopping HARD and the media was all over his knocking up a married woman scandal. I'm guessing he's simply good friends with the UK press. Remember he has that equally evil connection-tabloid owner Piece of Shit Morgan.

by Anonymousreply 14810/25/2013

Glad to hear it R148. This will mean that Cowell will be back on the British X Factor next year, which, by the way is also down in the ratings. However, the stupid, Cowell ass licking British Media will try to say that he's coming back to save the British version.

by Anonymousreply 14910/25/2013

Now this lad is gonna be HUGE in the US, mark my words. John Newman is like a male version of Amy Winehouse/ Adele. Check him out.

by Anonymousreply 15010/25/2013

He's looks like a Kray.

by Anonymousreply 15110/25/2013

Watched X Factor UK on Sunday night (results show)and Little Mix were one of the musical guests. They were introduced as having cracked America and I was like really!

However, during the big intro that X Factors gives musical guests one of the facts given was that they had 3 million album sales, surely they could not have sold such little amount and cracked America.

Also Taylor Swift was the other musical guest and she has sole 123 million world wide so it made Little Mix 3 million even more laughable.

Can anyone tell me if this is true and whether Little Mix has cracked the US.

by Anonymousreply 15211/04/2013

NO OP!!!! SHHHHH!!!! They'll hear you!

by Anonymousreply 15311/04/2013

Ruby Wax's on-camera success is sinexplicable to most of us in the U.S. A whiny, self-centered annoying Jewish American princess.

by Anonymousreply 15412/29/2013

Joan Rivers is far more shrill than Ruby Wax ever was, and she's been on TV for decades.

by Anonymousreply 15512/29/2013

Do American people know when American stars try to make it in the UK and fail?

There's your answer.

by Anonymousreply 15612/29/2013

There was a supremely bitchy story about Stephen Fry's failed sitcom in one British rag, but I can't remember which one it was.

by Anonymousreply 15712/29/2013

Well... I don't think the tepid response to Angela Lansbury's Gertrude is widely known in the US.

by Anonymousreply 15812/29/2013

Boyzone had stunning voices, particularly Ronan Keating's, yet couldn't break the US market.

by Anonymousreply 15912/29/2013

Ronan Keating's singing was laughable - talk about affected. And Stephen Gately sang through his nose. The others didn't sing at all

by Anonymousreply 16012/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.