Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fitness bands and/or apps -- any recommendations?

I've been looking at the Jawbone Up, Nike Fuel, Fitbit Flex, and a couple apps that just run on the iPhone.

I lean toward the Up, but while it's wearable 24/7, it seems to be worthless for cycling. There are GPS- and motion-based iPhone apps, but they require you to wear the phone, of course, which makes pedometer and sleep-monitoring use impossible.

What devices or software have you used, and how do you like it?

by Anonymousreply 2112/29/2013

I'm curious too, OP.

by Anonymousreply 209/28/2013

I use Suunto T3 with a foot pod.

by Anonymousreply 309/28/2013

Don't waste your money?

by Anonymousreply 409/28/2013

I've got the UP. My first one broke after 4wks. I'm pissed off with it, it doesn't log any walking with stroller or shopping cart. The app is nice but meh. I shouldn't have bothered. Lost all faith in it and have no idea how many steps I actually do.

by Anonymousreply 509/28/2013

Did you have the 1st or 2nd generation, r5? Just wondering. I have a friend with an Up and hers started to lose charge capacity. Jawbone exchanged it; she said they have good customer service. Even if it (or something similar) lasts a year, I figure I've spent just over 10 bucks a month on it, which I can live with.

The Suunto looks nice, r3, but I already have a watch that I wear all the time.

Has anyone used the Fuel? I like the fact that you can get some stats on the fly with it.

by Anonymousreply 609/28/2013

I have a Fitbit Flex and love it. Sleep monitor: check, pedometer: check. The only thing it doesn't discriminate is walking vs. climbing stairs.

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

2nd generation. I thought all their problems were ironed out but apparently not. To be fair, customer service was superb - sent me a replacement before I had returned mine, had the new one inside a week (to Canada) but still a bit disappointed. I didn't get Nike Fuel because of lack of features, but if I had my time again I'd try the Fitbit Flex. Didn't know about it when I bought.

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

Is it difficult to use, r7? I've been using a Phillips ActiveLink along with Weight Watchers for Men, but it doesn't track some activities.

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

By difficult, I mean to set up, things it doesn't do, do you wear it differently for different activities, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

Well, I ordered the UP. I'll check back in later and let you guys know what I think.

by Anonymousreply 1109/30/2013

Is it any good OP?

by Anonymousreply 1210/20/2013

I like it, r12. Today is my 15th day. The build quality is good. I decided not to wear it in the shower. I'm sure it would be fine, but I just can't bring myself to do it. A cool feature is that you can set it to wake you up in the morning; it vibrates until you press a button.

The software is great. One thing I've really enjoyed is the sleep monitoring. I know that I sleep fitfully, but I now have concrete proof of my percentage of deep and light sleep, as well as how many times I wake up -- and for how long each time. The more data you accumulate, the more in-depth the analysis. It will be fun to see where my mean lies six months down the road.

After I get my new iPhone, I plan on incorporating my data from Strava. That should be fun.

by Anonymousreply 1310/20/2013

OK -- do you have to pay a monthly fee to monitor this stuff on your computer/cell phone? If you do, I'm not getting one.

TIA

by Anonymousreply 1412/29/2013

No monthly fee. You just download a free app to your cell phone or computer. That's it.

Keep in mind though that the FitBit band is only compatible with iPhone 4s or higher. Before you get one make sure the cell phone you have is compatible otherwise you will not be able to track your activity on your phone.

by Anonymousreply 1512/29/2013

I use the Fitbit One and love it. I wouldn't get the JawBone or FItbit Flex because it doesn't have a screen. You only see your stats when you synch with your phone. I look at my screen every few minutes so it would be annoying to only see your stats after synching. I like to look at it before and after a workout or walk. Always get a screen or you'll be sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1612/29/2013

How about using my PC? Is that OK? I don't have a smart phone, and I don't plan to get one.

by Anonymousreply 1712/29/2013

[quote]How about using my PC? Is that OK? I don't have a smart phone, and I don't plan to get one.

With the Fit Bit Flex you can use their computer app is you don't have a smart phone. It comes with a wireless USB dongle that can sync with your FitBit as long as you are within a few feet of the computer. Of course the biggest feature of the FitBit is the blue tooth technology that can track your movements on your phone whenever you want.

The Jawbone UP does not work with a computer at all, you must have a Smartphone to use it.

[quote]Are there any that work for things that don't involve running, like weights or ellipticals?

Not that I know of. Both the FitBit Flex and Jawbone Up are simply juiced up pedometers, tracking your walking/running and sleep.

by Anonymousreply 1912/29/2013

Fitbit flex works great with Droid. You just tap it when you go to bed and wake up.If you forget you can edit the times later on your pc

by Anonymousreply 2012/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.