Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's it like to live in LA as an average citizen?

As in, just a regular person, living and working in the city - not rollicking in Bel Air or living la vida loca in Beverly Hills. Is it a fun place to reside?

by Anonymousreply 18910/10/2013

No not fun at all

by Anonymousreply 109/28/2013

You could ask the same question about Manhattan? Everywhere is better if you have $$$.

by Anonymousreply 209/28/2013

Fun?

The weather is beautiful, as is the geography.

There is plenty to see and do if you're up for it.

by Anonymousreply 309/28/2013

Don't the average live in the valley where it's hot?

by Anonymousreply 409/28/2013

Do you really need a car, or can you get by with public transit?

by Anonymousreply 509/28/2013

Nobody walks in L.A.

by Anonymousreply 609/28/2013

R5 just made me laugh.

You need a car. Transit sucks, and NOTHING is ever in walking distance.

by Anonymousreply 709/28/2013

The difference is, in NYC, or many other cities, in January, when it's freezing cold, and snowing out, and you're walking in slush, bundled up with 3 layers, a muffler, and gloves - we in LA are lying by the pool in our apartment complex, margarita in hand, getting a tan. Or heading to the beach, or Palm Springs. This is what average people do - the difference being the wealthy lay by their own pool, with a view of the city, or head to their 2nd home in Malibu, or their 3rd home, in Palm Springs, while we average pay to park at the beach, or stay at a cheap motel, in PS.

by Anonymousreply 809/28/2013

R8 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 909/28/2013

It's strictly a stone groove. Still.

by Anonymousreply 1009/28/2013

Breaking Bad, closer to the Pacific.

by Anonymousreply 1109/28/2013

I got laid a lot when I lived there in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 1209/28/2013

Didn't everyone get laid a lot everywhere in the 70s?

by Anonymousreply 1309/28/2013

I moved from LA to Seattle in 1980 -- well before AIDS -- and suddenly, I couldn't get laid to save my life.

by Anonymousreply 1409/28/2013

Boring, unless you are plugged in and have cash. But that's true anywhere, right?

by Anonymousreply 1509/28/2013

No, it's never boring, and I'm broke.

by Anonymousreply 1609/28/2013

It was boring as fuck, and I'm rich.

by Anonymousreply 1709/28/2013

What about picking up beautiful tricks? Is this an easy thing to do?

by Anonymousreply 1809/28/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1909/28/2013

Last year, right after Christmas, I took a flight from Kennedy (NYC), to LAX . Left New York on a 9:00 a.m. flight, in a blizzard - arrived LA , about 11:00 a.m. Was home by 12:30. By 1:30, I was driving down Sunset, in my convertible, in 75 degree weather , to meet a friend for lunch, at Cafe Med (a patio cafe). I'm an average citizen.

That's just 1 reason I love LA

by Anonymousreply 2009/28/2013

And R20, you can do that in less than 6 hours by flying to Miami.

by Anonymousreply 2109/28/2013

Can the gorgeous and suntanned locals be bedded with considerable ease?

by Anonymousreply 2209/28/2013

Good reply 19, stay there we don't want you in LA

by Anonymousreply 2309/28/2013

Since when do flights take off in a blizzard?

by Anonymousreply 2409/28/2013

The farther you live from "the biz", the less people talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 2509/28/2013

Not technically L.A., but Laguna Beach, 1 hour south, is drop dead gorgeous.

Used to be very gay, before it got expensive.

Still artsy and walkable with great restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 2609/28/2013

I live in a blue-collar-ish, middle class part of LA County (San Gabriel Valley.) It's nowhere near "the action" and because of the traffic, it takes a long time to get anywhere. There's not much going on in my side of town, but I do go to a LOT of theater-- I just have to drive a lot. (Off to Redondo Beach tonight, for example.) The public transportation system has gotten immeasurably better since I moved here (1987), but things are spread out, so it's not like Manhattan.

The weather is a big plus, although it gets quite hot where I live in the summer. But it's easy to get to the beach where it's usually around 20 degrees cooler, if not more. Compared to living on the east coast, I'd say the down side is that it's a long way to just about anywhere you'd want to visit by car--your options are pretty much the desert (Palm Springs), Santa Barbara, San Diego and Las Vegas. You have to fly anywhere else. Back east you can drive an hour or two and be in a completely different city or area.

by Anonymousreply 2709/28/2013

Why do LA people, in particular, take everything so personally about LA and exclaim, "WE DON'T WANT YOU! KEEP OUT!" at anything that makes them feel threatened?

by Anonymousreply 2809/28/2013

Because everyone keeps moving here, r28.

Huge parts of LA that used to be orange groves and strawberry fields when I was a kid, are now housing tracts and shopping malls.

by Anonymousreply 2909/28/2013

Unlike New Yorkers, R28?

by Anonymousreply 3009/28/2013

I can't imagine orange groves and strawberry fields in L.A. It's just concrete as far as the eye can see.

by Anonymousreply 3109/28/2013

OP, you should know by now that, as in Lake Wobegon, all of us in L.A. are above average.

by Anonymousreply 3209/28/2013

[quote]I can't imagine orange groves and strawberry fields in L.A. It's just concrete as far as the eye can see.

So untrue. There's masses of nature all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 3309/28/2013

Actually, I have friends who use public transit only and say they're perfectly happy.

by Anonymousreply 3409/28/2013

Disneyland was built in the middle of nowhere, r31.

Picture is the clearing of orange groves to built it.

by Anonymousreply 3509/28/2013

I used to live in Toluca Lake in an old ratty apartment complex behind the Vons. The only redeeming thing about the complex was all the old trees it had all around it.

by Anonymousreply 3609/28/2013

Now it's just taco groves and burrito fields

by Anonymousreply 3709/28/2013

LOL, so predictable that this is becoming an LA - NYC cat fight.

Meow, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 3809/28/2013

It's much easier being broke in LA than being broke in NYC.

And I've known two people who've lived here without a car. It's possible but very difficult. Unless you have lots of money. But then anything is easier with lots of money.

by Anonymousreply 3909/28/2013

LA couldn't be more different than NYC.

Almost the polar opposite.

by Anonymousreply 4009/28/2013

[quote]Last year, right after Christmas, I took a flight from Kennedy (NYC), to LAX . Left New York on a 9:00 a.m. flight, in a blizzard - arrived LA , about 11:00 a.m. Was home by 12:30. By 1:30, I was driving down Sunset, in my convertible, in 75 degree weather , to meet a friend for lunch, at Cafe Med (a patio cafe).

OP, you should know that this is the fantasy purveyed by desperate Angelenos like R3 and R20: that it's sunny every day and 75 degrees year-round. In reality, winters there can be quite chilly, and summer sometimes gets blistering hot even near the beach (and in the Valley temps above 100 aren't that unusual). No, it's never parka-weather chilly, but in the winter at night temperatures routinely dip into the 40s, and daytime highs may not get past 68 or so. Sure, that's better than most of the country, but in reality South Florida has much more pleasant winter weather, and even southern parts of Texas (e.g. Houston and Austin) are on par with L.A. temperate-wise.

Also, any New Yorker can tell you that it's possible to go an entire winter with little to no snow, and very easily possible to go an entire winter without a true nor'easter blizzard. Blizzards are especially unusual in December, making R20's tale improbable at best.

by Anonymousreply 4109/28/2013

I can't even imagine that--it sounds like a nightmare. And yet Mother assures me there really are such people there.

by Anonymousreply 4209/28/2013

South Florida? I would never live anywhere that humid. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 4309/28/2013

How can anyone live comfortably in LA with the dread of imminent death from earthquakes?

by Anonymousreply 4409/28/2013

[quote] In reality, winters there can be quite chilly, and summer sometimes gets blistering hot even near the beach (and in the Valley temps above 100 aren't that unusual

Winter is rain, wind, and cold.

... followed by a series sunny days in the 70s until the next storm.

And it does not get blistering hot by the beach. Nobody near the beach even owns an air conditioner.

The Valley, is another story, however.

by Anonymousreply 4509/28/2013

[quote]How can anyone live comfortably in LA with the dread of imminent death from earthquakes?

You don't even think about them.

They are about as frequent as Miami hurricanes. They happen, but not that often. Only difference is they happen out of the blue.

"Imminent death" would be from brick buildings collapsing on you. Most of those fell down decades ago in past earthquakes.

Modern skyscrapers are fine. Wood frame and steel frame buildings are fine. Your biggest danger is outside next to a brick chimney near the epicenter.

While big ones can be felt over a large area, the really bad area is quite small.

There's a trick to estimating them like lighting/thunder.

Strong jolt but short = weak quake but very close.

Rocking and rolling that seems to last forever. Far away, but a BIG one somewhere. Turn on the TV quick!

Swimming Pool Tsunami's are the best!

by Anonymousreply 4609/28/2013

Lots of random events - bands, comedy nights, fundraisers - that usually feature famous friends and guests. Great one of a kind bills that anyone can go to.

by Anonymousreply 4709/28/2013

Everyone is trying to sell you a script or see if you can cast them in something or get them a crew gig. They usually ignore you once they find out you can't.

by Anonymousreply 4809/28/2013

[quote]Last year, right after Christmas, I took a flight from Kennedy (NYC), to LAX . Left New York on a 9:00 a.m. flight, in a blizzard - arrived LA , about 11:00 a.m. Was home by 12:30. By 1:30, I was driving down Sunset, in my convertible, in 75 degree weather

Some of us, actually, love winters in NYC. I love the first snowflakes; they get me as excited now as they did when I was a kid. There's nothing better than coming to a warm home on a snowy day, making a cuppa and sitting down with a good book.

My favorite runs along the Hudson are on snowy days. You can't even see across the river from the flurries.

So, no, I do not envy you on summery winters.

I am moving to LA for work next year and I already dread the clear, cloudless skies all year long.

by Anonymousreply 4909/28/2013

NYC snow is filthy before it touches the ground!

by Anonymousreply 5009/28/2013

The snow in NYC is white adjacent

by Anonymousreply 5109/28/2013

[quote]Because everyone keeps moving here, [R28]. Huge parts of LA that used to be orange groves and strawberry fields when I was a kid, are now housing tracts and shopping malls.

Okay, well that point of view at least makes some sense. The obviously-bullshit "solidarity" spiel, which is given more often than you'd think, does not. Half of my family is in LA and its metro area; I go at least twice a year.

by Anonymousreply 5209/28/2013

Instead of freezing winters, you have broiling hot 100 degree summers, smog that chokes you and destroys your contact lenses, the expense of a car, reduced public services as more and more illegals pour in, and 2-hour commutes to get across town. Even if you're rich you can't get away from smog, traffic and outdoor heat.

Be sure you can handle these things before you make the jump.

by Anonymousreply 5309/28/2013

You forgot Fukushima radiation, R53.

by Anonymousreply 5409/28/2013

A completely clear blue sky for months on end will create a sense of existential despair in you, and forgetting what month it is can be disturbing too.

by Anonymousreply 5509/28/2013

For you, R55.

by Anonymousreply 5609/28/2013

R55. to me it's the changing seasons that evidence the relentless pass of time what creates existential despair

by Anonymousreply 5709/28/2013

R57, yes. Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 5809/28/2013

Jesid Chrisy.

by Anonymousreply 5909/28/2013

We lived in the Hamptons as a " year rounder". It sucked...people with lots of money thought they had some kind of entitlement. When they would come out on the weekends during the summer we lower forms of life we're suppose to let them just take over. At least we could fuck with them. When we went LA I saw it really was no different but on top of the money, I didn't see one ugly person...are they told not to go out least they bring down property values? ....I felt so out of place...hated it!

by Anonymousreply 6009/28/2013

I lived in San Diego for a few years. Loved the weather and the usually blue skies. There's something about the air or the sunlight there, the colors (like on flowers) just seemed more crisp and vivid. When I first got there I would walk to the beach every evening for the sunset. Sometimes they were amazing.

Several years in and I missed my friends, I had a hard time making new ones out there. It's a very transient superficial populace. I'm going to sound like an ass but they weren't as educated or cultured as I was used to. Also, I was missing out on job opportunities by being in a (for my industry) backwater market. So eventually I got offered a promotion that would make me come back east that I couldn't resist. I said to myself that the weather wasn't that important. I thought of everything I would be regaining.

I fucking hate it. I can't believe I came back. I can't believe I got used to all that comfortable weather and beauty to where I didn't realize how much I would miss it. Oh well. I'm kind of trapped for now. I dream of escaping again though. Maybe Sydney next time. Or Honolulu.

by Anonymousreply 6109/28/2013

I've always imagined LA was a place full of really beautiful people, model quality. Is it true? How do people in LA compare looks-wise with the people of New York?

by Anonymousreply 6209/29/2013

[quote]Why do LA people, in particular, take everything so personally about LA and exclaim, "WE DON'T WANT YOU! KEEP OUT!" at anything that makes them feel threatened?

Well I only feel that way when out of towners and transplants start bashing L.A. People complain about the airheads and illiterates working in Hollywood or trying to break in, but the majority of those people are/were transplants. And when they're the ones complaining about L.A. and the people, well, it's like look in the mirror, honey.

by Anonymousreply 6309/29/2013

The worst part of living in L.A. in 2013 is the challenges with driving in traffic on streets or freeways during peak and even non peak times. The traffic is horrific esp. if you have to go to Downtown L.A. or drive to Orange County at rush hour.

The picture r26 put is accurate. Laguna Beach is beautiful and far from Downtown L.A. Can get crowded in summer just like Malibu.

by Anonymousreply 6409/29/2013

I love to visit LA, I think it is beautiful and the people are too. But, the superficiality and lack of intellectual curiosity doesn't work for me as a place to live.

by Anonymousreply 6509/29/2013

Los Angeles may have beautiful weather, but it's ugly at the street level. It's all gray concrete, gray smog, hot, crowded, and completely choked with cars. There's basically no natural beauty away from the beaches, it's for people who love cities and who shop for fun.

The palm trees provide no shade, the thing the city needs most.

by Anonymousreply 6609/29/2013

California, especially Southern, is overcrowded. The state really does try to regurgitate people that move there for the first several years they are there.

by Anonymousreply 6709/29/2013

Perfect r66. That's exactly as I see it as well. Esp the part about lack of shade.

Love visiting LA, but am another who prefers the East Coast, warts and all.

by Anonymousreply 6809/29/2013

being average is average no matter where you go----don't do it----raise yourself up!!!

namaste dear one

by Anonymousreply 6909/29/2013

R65 Watch any episode of "Million Dollar Listing/NY" ? . Intellectual curiosity ? Superficiality ? Jesus honey, those empty headed, arrogant agents, & clients, prove to me what I've always said - LA denizens will admittedly acknowledge they are sometimes not the most well read, or culturally learned. But those vapid, albeit many times well dressed men, and women, prowling NYC, are some of the most sickening, haughty, egotistical group of A-holes I've ever encountered. They really do act, just by virtue of living in a certain bldg., or neighborhood ( that 10-15 years ago, was considered 'bad'), their shit don't stink. We here in LA, or most of us, long ago removed the stick up our ass, and get outside, and enjoy life.

by Anonymousreply 7009/29/2013

great post r70! Love the line, prowling NYC

by Anonymousreply 7209/29/2013

Why do Los Angeles people make such a big freakin' deal about Palm Springs?

There is no there there in Palm Springs.

There is certainly nothing there as a particular attraction like so many Los Angeles people seem to perpetuate the idea that it is a 'special getaway'.

Forget the gay men living/vacationing in Palm Springs.

What makes so many hetero Los Angeles people think there is something worthwhile in Palm Springs? I think it is ALL phony hype.

Yes, desert. Yes, some steel gray barren small hills/mountains.

Other than that, what???

by Anonymousreply 7309/29/2013

R66, would you describe Orange County, California the same way you describe Los Angeles?

I've never been to either one - just wondering if you find Orange County ugly at the street level?

(except for Laguna and Laguna Beach, that is)

by Anonymousreply 7409/29/2013

Laguna and Laguna Beach are the same thing. Laguna Niguel is slightly inland from Laguna Beach and is mostly upscale homes and condos.

Southern OC is more modern and beach parts exclusive. Central OC more like Los Angeles suburbs with mix of home sizes, neighborhoods and shopping malls.

OC is more master planned in general than L.A.

It was still mostly farms while L.A. kept growing.

Huntington Beach also nice in OC. Miles of beaches, surf competitions, dog park beach, views of Catalina Island.

You can have a nice life in OC without being rich.

by Anonymousreply 7509/29/2013

Well r73, for me it's slow there and that's a refreshing change from LA. There's no traffic, no trouble getting parking spaces, the mountains are spectacular, I like to gamble a little...

I'm not fond of the the rest of the area, just PS.

by Anonymousreply 7609/29/2013

What I've seen of Orange County isn't as ugly as LA itself, it's more like Anyfuckingwhere, USA. It's suburbs and urban sprawl, really.

by Anonymousreply 7709/29/2013

R73 You don't get it. It's a feeling, of relaxation, of being outside, with beautiful blue skies, pools - floating on a raft, with Sinatra singing , the smell of orange blossoms, or night-blooming jasmine, while sitting around a fire pit, made of glass crystals, at dusk, in Dec. Getting margaritas at El Mirasol, while surrounded by buff, handsome men. What's not to like - I escape from LA to PS every chance I get. Oh, and a sexual tension hangs in the air......that last part may just be me.

by Anonymousreply 7809/29/2013

Palm Springs is a very nice get away from L.A. except during the summer when it can be 116 degrees plus.

The dry desert air, mountains, plenty of swimming pools and restaurants plus gay town makes it hospitable to be in.

Wish it weren't so hot in summer (even with a / c too hot) I'd move there.

by Anonymousreply 7909/29/2013

I do not find the mountains in Palm Springs spectacular.

They are steel gray in color, barren, somewhat dreary, drab, and more like big hills than mountains.

by Anonymousreply 8009/29/2013

They are definitely big mountains.

by Anonymousreply 8109/29/2013

Sorry, there is absolutely no there there in Palm Springs.

Sorry to be trite.

There is just absolutely completely nothing there.

Just because it is absent the traffic and lack of parking spaces that LA has doesn't mean it is something.

by Anonymousreply 8209/29/2013

r80, Jacinto Peak is 10,834 feet high. Are you perhaps a Sherpa?

The amazing thing is that they rise straight out of the desert floor and look like a fake movie backdrop when you're looking at them from the better views in PS.

I saw my first rattlesnake hiking in the trails there. It was a rush. I've seen roadrunners, tons of hummingbirds...

by Anonymousreply 8309/29/2013

R73& 80 - WTF ? You and the 'steel gray mountains' . What color are they supposed to be ? They're mountains for Christ's sake ! And in winter, when it's 75- 80 out, nothing more beautiful then looking up and seeing them covered with snow, knowing it's 30-40 degrees cooler up there. If you don't like PS , that's fine. But stop with the 'steel gray mountains', and go visit the lovely mtns. of Arizona - my memory of them is they're 'puke colored'. O.K.

by Anonymousreply 8409/29/2013

Do you care for architecture, r82 and other Palm Springs naysayers?

I want to know more about the sex lives of average L.A. citizens. Are many partnered? How's the dating scene like?

by Anonymousreply 8509/29/2013

r82, what do you mean? Is there any there-there in Martha's Vineyard, La Jolla, Lahaina, Key West, Provincetown?

It's a getaway, not Paris.

by Anonymousreply 8609/29/2013

Yes, R86, there is a there in the places you list.

It is called the OCEAN. And beautiful it is.

And many of the places you list have charm!

by Anonymousreply 8709/29/2013

One funny thing about Los Angeles people is how so many of them frequently run off to Mexico to enjoy the ocean and/or beach and sun.

When Los Angeles and Orange County have ocean, beach, and sun.

And yes, I know Los Angeles gets chilly sometimes.

It is still funny/odd.

by Anonymousreply 8809/29/2013

r87, you forget the lovely Salton Sea.

by Anonymousreply 8909/29/2013

R86, Palm Springs may be a 'getaway' but I do not find it special in any way or delightful or charming.

Whereas LA people tend to portray it as special or some sort of paradise when it is no where near special or anything even close to a paradise.

It is bland and feels like a soul-less suburb including strip development.

by Anonymousreply 9009/29/2013

r90, you may have been denied the better parts of Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 9109/29/2013

Aannnd, back to the topic. I live in LA. I used to live in Chicago. In LA, I enjoy the near daily sunshine, temperate climate, the ability to be at the beach in 45 minutes. We get films that open first here, plenty of theatre, music, sports. We can park for free at many places w/o valeted garages. There are many hiking trails right in the middle of the city for exercising and socializing. Plants bloom year round. In some parts of LA: Brentwood, Palisades, Studio City, West Hollywood, I can park my car for free and run numerous errands: grocer, dry cleaners, post office, bank, coffee in flip flops 3/4 of the year. There's sometimes a run in w/ a celebrity somewhere that makes a boring moment a liitle more exciting to share w/ the folks back home-- who think their TV newscaster is a big deal. Yes, there's too much traffic, too many people who don't speak English, city has too many services cut: libraries, fire stations, parks, schools are compromised, underfunded and short changed. My Midwestern friends go in a funk in the long Jan-April doldrums. I make friends through work, volunteer work, social interests group, other friends. I relish the sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 9209/29/2013

But I still live there, and I enjoy it. Compared to other places I've lived, I don't feel "Caged".

by Anonymousreply 9309/29/2013

I love the desert smell and movie star glamour of Palm Springs .

by Anonymousreply 9409/29/2013

movie star glamour?

Do you mean the houses that old and dead movie stars used to live in?

by Anonymousreply 9509/29/2013

R92 You win ! An accurate, and well done description. I have friends who live in Chicago, and tell me the same - here, we have access to year round outdoor activities. The way they put it is, they really enjoy being outside only 4 months a year . Otherwise, weather, whether rain, snow, and /or wind, prevents it.

by Anonymousreply 9609/29/2013

Yes dear R95.

by Anonymousreply 9709/29/2013

R95 No ass, like in the past week I saw Sharon Stone at The Abbey cafe, in WeHo, Leo DiCaprio, driving by me on Sunset, and Hallie Berry picking out carrots, at Bristol Farms Grocery. That was in a few days. Maybe they weren't glamourous, but they're all stars. And it has always made livingin LA, as R92 said, a bit more fun, knowing you may see them at anytime. Like Lucy asked in that famous "I Love Lucy" Hollywood episode, before going to The Brown Derby, ' Isn't there anyplace they all gather at once, like horses at a watering hole ?' . Yes. LA.

by Anonymousreply 9809/29/2013

I'll cut you r98 if you took a picture of Nala

by Anonymousreply 9909/29/2013

Angelinos are wonderful. New Yorkers pollute the air with their craziness.

by Anonymousreply 10009/29/2013

[quote] There's sometimes a run in w/ a celebrity somewhere that makes a boring moment a liitle more exciting to share w/ the folks back home-

How sad.

by Anonymousreply 10109/29/2013

But, R100, I feel like neither the number of remaining native Angelinos nor New Yorkers (or at least Manhattanites) constitutes a legitimate sample group.

by Anonymousreply 10209/29/2013

Fun!

by Anonymousreply 10309/29/2013

[quote]There's something about the air or the sunlight there, the colors (like on flowers) just seemed more crisp and vivid.

It's called DRY AIR.

Lack of humidity makes for bright sunshine (and the need for sunglasses)

New York gets this weather for a week in the spring and maybe 3 weeks in the fall.

by Anonymousreply 10409/29/2013

I always picture LA as it was portrayed in Annie Hall.

by Anonymousreply 10509/29/2013

LA's mountain scenery is spectacular, it could easily have been the world's most beautiful city. But it is not, and you often can't even see the mountains for smog.

It has a workaday vibe. It is a place where things happen, bubbling with energy and, unfortunately, edge. People aren't friendly. After a couple months of driving around wondering at the variety it hits you that pretty much everything is second rate, like a giant DETROIT shit out on the Pacific coast.

Back when aerospace was king, it had a reputation for competence that it never deserved. Since that industry went bust, as did the low wage manufacturing that replaced it, it has become a place where most people are chronically under-employed, underpaid, and on edge.

People aren't "moving" to LA, and they haven't been for quite a few years. Net migration is away, but there is such a natural increase from Catholic and evangelical Mexicans that it continues to grow.

by Anonymousreply 10609/29/2013

Some questions for the native Angelenos posting: 1)tIf people are moving away, are they moving to other regions or other parts of the state

2)tThe Public transit plans for the area are ambitious. Do you think LA will ever have the extensive light rail it did pre-auto and would you ride it instead of taking a car?

3)tAre there any neighbourhoods that are “hipster ready”, meaning Williamsburg-in-waiting?

4)tDo people there mix or is there still a lot of segregation. I have heard Texans say Mexicans seem to adapt better to their state better than to California.

5)tWill downtown LA every become an area like say Midtown Manhattan in density, if not influence?

by Anonymousreply 10709/29/2013

Texans say a lot of things. Actually, in a sense it's true because California is relentlessly commercial and individual, whereas Texas is all about tradition, violence, corruption, and deference to the rich. In the end, Texans are not cold and businesslike, and Mexicans can relate to that. Republicans, of course, would tell you the opposite, that California is full of crazy dreaming liberals and that business must have low taxes and low wages. But in the end, what they want is Mississippi, and Mississippi has been and is the worst state for growing a business. Whereas, all the California crazy that you hear about, well, that's just experimental marketing. That's where tomorrow comes from. Cynical and cold blooded, but there it is.

by Anonymousreply 10809/29/2013

Echo Park is hipster ready. Twenty years ago it would have been Los Feliz and Silverlake, with mixed results.

by Anonymousreply 10909/29/2013

Smog, R106? Are you posting from 1990? Yesterday I hiked Griffith Park -- the mountains across the valley were spectacularly clear. And I don't understand your math. How can LA 'continue to grow' and yet 'net migration is away?' According to the census, population grew 1.2% between 2010 and 2012.

Los Feliz, R107, and Silverlake, are terminally trendy. And downtown LA is an actual neighborhood now. It used to be only early settlers in scary lofts. Now it's one of the most exciting neighborhoods in LA -- great restaurants, galleries, clubs.

And yes, LA is still very segregated. I've lived here over 25 years and I've only been to South Central LA twice in all that time. East LA maybe 4 times.

by Anonymousreply 11009/29/2013

People who keep commenting on the smog are repeating an old cliché about the area. The air quality has improved greatly due to changes in automobile emissions and the decline in dirty industry.

by Anonymousreply 11109/29/2013

[quote] LA's mountain scenery is spectacular, it could easily have been the world's most beautiful city. But it is not, and you often can't even see the mountains for smog.

You should,have been here in the late 60s/early 70s. The mountains were obscured by smog almost every summer day. We had smog alerts. Now there's maybe one or 2 days a year where the mountains are behind a smoggy veil for part of a day. I don't know where you live that you say it happens often, but it isn't anywhere in L.A.

by Anonymousreply 11209/29/2013

Well I don't live in LA but have visited many times--business. I'll tell you what I DON'T like about it. It's the lack of consistency regarding architecture. I have literally had a headache because of it. You see one house of one style and then right next to it you have another totally different style, and so on, and so on. It drives me batty!!! There are two areas of where I have a sense of some calm because their is "some type" of sameness and that is in Venice Beach and Belair.

I dislike that there are no communities except I do like Sherman Oaks. You can walk to restaurants, banks, gyms, bars, shopping stores, food store etc. Every other place I have visited required hopping into a car. WeHo, even feels a bit more suburban to me than "village" or community. Finally, the traffic! UGH!

by Anonymousreply 11309/29/2013

You see the Santa Monicas but often not the San Gabriels which are the truly spectacular mountains.

by Anonymousreply 11409/29/2013

The San Gabriels are perfectly clear today, R114.

Smog is really a thing of the past. Are you mistaking the marine layer for smog?

by Anonymousreply 11509/29/2013

Can you see the Santa Rachels?

by Anonymousreply 11609/29/2013

I lived there and was a struggling movie studio drone for a few years. I actually loved it. My bf at the time and I shopped the farmers markets and Trader Joe's...got really good cheap California wine. So we ate and drank really well for two people with a combined income of 70k.

It helped that I love the movies. Saw on average 3 a week at lots of cool theaters: The Nu Art, The New Beverly, Laemmles Sunset 5.

We hit the beach a ton then would eat and drink cheaply at this awesome Mexican place in Venice.

Also, did a ton of galleries, MOCA, Bergamot Station, Baby Bergamot. Saw bands at Jabberjaw, Spaceland and Fais Do-do. Partied at The Garage, Al's Bar, Faultine, The Eagel etc.

Pride was always fun. Revolver, Mickeys, The Motherlode.

A special night out for dinner was at Marix (ha).

Anyway - we were totally average and managed to have a really active life. I could never live there again. The eastern seaboard is in my blood. But it seemed to be, at the time, a more forgiving city than Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 11709/29/2013

Downtown LA should have been built on the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 11809/29/2013

Here is my biggest question, as a New Yorker, about LA - when people are going to be doing socializing that includes drinking, do they call cabs to get to and from the place (which, with all the talk about LA being so spread out and with so much traffic, I imagine would be expensive)? Or do people just routinely drive drunk?

by Anonymousreply 11909/29/2013

LA is an awesome place to visit simply because you DON'T have to worry about the day to day mortgage/rent, car insurance, daily commute to work, etc, etc.

I get there as often as possible and love it as a destination. I remember visiting friends that lived in the LA area and when I asked them about going to the beach, they said they hadn't been to the beach in about a year. I thought that was pretty sad.

by Anonymousreply 12009/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 12109/29/2013

If in a group, R119, a designated driver. Otherwise, Uber works great. And if you're out drinking, it's usually late at night when the traffic is light.

by Anonymousreply 12209/29/2013

Everyone is very careful when they're loaded.

by Anonymousreply 12309/29/2013

Has anyone been to the Salton Sea? What's it like?

by Anonymousreply 12409/29/2013

"Otherwise, Uber works great. And if you're out drinking, it's usually late at night when the traffic is light."

But wouldn't you also have had to pay to get there earlier in the evening when there's still traffic, thus making it a very expensive ride? Or is this Uber thing not metered?

by Anonymousreply 12509/29/2013

[quote] 1) If people are moving away, are they moving to other regions or other parts of the state

Out of the state. Companies are leaving for tax and regulation reasons. Rich people for taxes. Middle Class move to where the jobs are. Even Hollywood shoots out of state now.

[quote]2) The Public transit plans for the area are ambitious. Do you think LA will ever have the extensive light rail it did pre-auto and would you ride it instead of taking a car?

They had a good thing and fucked it up. Building the freeways killed the streetcar network which was the most extensive in the country. New transit is too political to be of much practical use. Like the light rail that "almost" goes to LAX. WFT? Long Beach has had some success with it's light rail to downtown, but most people don't even work downtown.

[quote]3) Are there any neighbourhoods that are “hipster ready”, meaning Williamsburg-in-waiting?

Most have been colonized already. Silver Lake, Eagle Rock, Anywhere that has old housing stock (pre-housing tracts) is a candidate.

[quote]4) Do people there mix or is there still a lot of segregation. I have heard Texans say Mexicans seem to adapt better to their state better than to California.

The freeways create a "wrong side of the tracks" effect, and often serve as boundries for ethnic groups. White people tend to stick to very specific parts of town. West of the 405 FWY and the hills between the 10 and the 101 FWYs.

[quote]5) Will downtown LA every become an area like say Midtown Manhattan in density, if not influence?

No.

by Anonymousreply 12609/29/2013

[quote]Has anyone been to the Salton Sea? What's it like?

An open sewer.

by Anonymousreply 12709/29/2013

[quote]I remember visiting friends that lived in the LA area and when I asked them about going to the beach, they said they hadn't been to the beach in about a year. I thought that was pretty sad.

To be fair I was talking to friends who live in Boston (Back Bay) the other day and asked them about taking in all the culture, getting to the museums the MFA, ICA, the Gardner, etc. They said they hadn't been in several years! Would take family and friends when they visited from out of town but otherwise stayed away. Now that I found sad.

My friend did say something funny: "We like to know it's here, so we can brag about it and feel special. But we don't exactly GO there ourselves much."

by Anonymousreply 12809/29/2013

Why live in Los Angeles if one does not love the ocean?

I'm just asking....

Okay, the temperate climate....but what else?

by Anonymousreply 12909/29/2013

There is more to the geography of LA than just the ocean. There are the mountains and the deserts too -- both of which appeal to me much more than the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 13009/29/2013

Do people living in Los Angeles not go to the beach and ocean because it is too cumbersome to get there and logistically not always easy to go to the beach and ocean?

I know some of the beach areas are not aesthetically pleasing like industrial Long Beach and where the oil tanks are.

by Anonymousreply 13109/29/2013

What about walks along the beach, R132?

You're saying they look at the ocean and beach - well, that's fine - at least they are enjoying the ocean and beach by looking at it.

I was referring to people who do not go near the ocean or beach when they live say 10 minutes to 45 minutes from it. What are the reasons for not going to the ocean for those people?

by Anonymousreply 13309/29/2013

R133 see post at r128 about Boston. It's a kind of familiarity breeding contempt type of thing.

"We like to know it's here, so we can brag about it and feel special. But we don't exactly GO there ourselves much."

by Anonymousreply 13409/29/2013

At least in LA , you guys dont have to worry about hurricanes (like Sandy) we've had so many of lately - they destroyed the Jersey Shore, parts of NYC shoreline. And one could hit again, right when were getting back on our feet. In LA , you do have earthquakes, but a bad one hits,what, every 10 -15 years, if that. We're sitting ducks each year, between the hurricanes, nor-easters,heavy snow - it's relentless.

by Anonymousreply 13509/29/2013

Three bedrooms on Ocean Ave. for under a million

by Anonymousreply 13609/30/2013

LA gets hurricanes

by Anonymousreply 13709/30/2013

A lot of lower Manhattan was under water during and after Hurricane Sandy recently, and power was off for a very long time. Quite scary.

Lower Manhattan is under threat of being flooded again.

by Anonymousreply 13809/30/2013

r132 nailed it. The beaches are not like they were in the 60ies and 70ies. It's nice to drive to Malibu or walk by when doing errands in beach cities along the coast. I do not know anyone in L.A. who plans a day at the beach anymore.

by Anonymousreply 13909/30/2013

R139, but the question is why?

Why are you and others not going to the the ocean and/or beach?

Because of the third world masses crowding or flocking to the beaches?

by Anonymousreply 14009/30/2013

R140 I don't go to the beach often because of the traffic, parking, etc. However, when I go out of town, I like to go the beaches in less crowded areas, like the Central Coast (Santa Barbara and points north). Lovely and uncrowded.

by Anonymousreply 14109/30/2013

What is wrong with the parking situation when one goes to the beach?

I'm just asking....

And by traffic, do you mean there is too much traffic right around the beach or in getting to the beach from where you live?

Huntington Beach is gigantically wide. I don't think it can get all that crowded as it is so wide and long.

But is it because the only really aesthetic beaches are Laguna Beach and Malibu?

by Anonymousreply 14209/30/2013

Huntington Beach and Laguna Beach are an hour at least from Los Angeles metro area. Venice beach, a half hour from West Hollywood on a good day. Not lots of parking lots in L.A. beach area. Pricy to park there and not relaxing due to crowds and side shows.

by Anonymousreply 14309/30/2013

r144. all the above. The city was less crowded and beaches were not congested even in the summer unless there was a heat wave which kids out of school for the summer loved. 80 degree water temp in the Pacific doesn't happen too often.

Everyone in Los Angeles had a favorite beach to go to and people were pretty loyal to that spot whether it was Santa Monica, State Beach, Zuma or Surfrider, Malibu etc.

by Anonymousreply 14509/30/2013

Also, for those of you on the east or Gulf coasts-- remember that the water is much colder in the Pacific (until you go much further south ... like Mexico.) When I was a kid we used to go to beaches in the Monterey Bay area and that water was cold even in August. It's somewhat warmer in southern California, but still not as warm as you're used to.

by Anonymousreply 14609/30/2013

Are there any nice areas to walk along the shore/beach/ocean other than Laguna Beach and Malibu?

by Anonymousreply 14809/30/2013

Manhattan beach - The Strand..

by Anonymousreply 14909/30/2013

Seal Beach (the first city in Orange County going south from Long Beach) has a cute little main street/downtown area that ends in a pier that you can walk out on. And parking isn't too bad there, either.

by Anonymousreply 15009/30/2013

Sandra Bullock used to live with her husband in Seal Beach.

by Anonymousreply 15109/30/2013

Actually r151 HE lived there and I dropped by occasionally would be a more accurate way to phrase it.

by Anonymousreply 15209/30/2013

Jesses house was / is in Sunset Beach not Seal Beach.

by Anonymousreply 15309/30/2013

I think his motorcycle shop was is in Seal Beach

by Anonymousreply 15409/30/2013

The bike shop was in Long Beach and then he moved it to austin, tx.

by Anonymousreply 15509/30/2013

Sunset Beach is a small housing development on top of a big cliff overlooking the ocean.

Jesse's house was not of a big cliff in the small housing development of Sunset Beach which has 92 houses.

by Anonymousreply 15609/30/2013

Third world masses instantly turn everything they touch into shit

by Anonymousreply 15709/30/2013

[quote] I was referring to people who do not go near the ocean or beach when they live say 10 minutes to 45 minutes from it.

Because when you live 10 to 45 mins from the beach, it actually takes 30 mins to 2 hours to get there in traffic. And then you have to find parking.

by Anonymousreply 15809/30/2013

Los Angeles? It's like Detroit except with palm trees.

by Anonymousreply 15909/30/2013

Where would you live in the LA area if you were a very Preppy, East Coast WASP who was relocating?

by Anonymousreply 16009/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 16109/30/2013

Pacific Palisades, R160. If you can afford it.

by Anonymousreply 16209/30/2013

Does dick get sucked at the Ocean Park Blvd. beach at night any longer?

by Anonymousreply 16309/30/2013

R163 "Memories, light the corner Of my mind........."

by Anonymousreply 16409/30/2013

Definitely old and once hot, R164. But what is "DSL's"?

by Anonymousreply 16509/30/2013

[quote]Where would you live in the LA area if you were a very Preppy, East Coast WASP who was relocating?

Newport Beach!

Rich, Preppy, and White!

with lots of Yachts.

by Anonymousreply 16609/30/2013

You can even take a Newport Harbor Stars Tour by boat.

by Anonymousreply 16709/30/2013

Preppies go to San Francisco, r60 -- not LA.

Once upon a time they might go to San Marino or nice Pasadena or North Glendale or Sierra Madre, but those areas have all been overrun by aggressive immigrants.

Even SF has decayed except in the Santa Cruz mountains or Marin.

by Anonymousreply 16809/30/2013

Manhattan Beach, Newport Beach is too inbred and Mormony.

by Anonymousreply 16909/30/2013

Newport Beach used to be populated by rich swingers.

by Anonymousreply 17009/30/2013

Marina Del Rey has the swingers.

Pilots, Stews, and Divorced dads.

by Anonymousreply 17109/30/2013

Avoid South East of the city, where all the Tea Party, Home Schoolers and NRA types live. (Corona etc.)

by Anonymousreply 17209/30/2013

It's called the Inland Empire, r172.

by Anonymousreply 17309/30/2013

No, the Inland empire is Riverside-San Bernardino area.

by Anonymousreply 17409/30/2013

Isn't Corona in Riverside County, R174?

by Anonymousreply 17509/30/2013

Yes Corona is in riverside county and part of the inland empire .

by Anonymousreply 17609/30/2013

Enough already with the "LA traffic is a nightmare" posts. Many times it is, but it is SO much better driving your car with the A/C on listening to your favorite tunes than being in a crowded subway in NYC with someone's armpit in your face (not to mention the constant subway diatribe that begins with "ladies and gentlemen, I am homeless...")

by Anonymousreply 17709/30/2013

Nonsense R177. On the subway there is the possibility of a sexual encounter. In your car, there is the possibility of road rage and drive by shootings.

by Anonymousreply 17809/30/2013

I have had people pull up to me in convertibles and on motorcycles, looking to talk. It is LA as hell and unforgettable. Rare, but still

by Anonymousreply 17909/30/2013

[quote]I have had people pull up to me in convertibles and on motorcycles, looking to talk.

I've had that too, but people just say: "hey dumbass, you have a flat tire"

by Anonymousreply 18009/30/2013

I'm average anywhere I go.

by Anonymousreply 18110/01/2013

A New York "5" is a Los Angeles "3".

by Anonymousreply 18210/01/2013

R165 DSL = Dick Sucking Lips

by Anonymousreply 18310/01/2013

Oh, yes, R183. Mine and theirs.

by Anonymousreply 18410/01/2013

What's it like to live in LA as an average citizen?

It's average.

by Anonymousreply 18510/01/2013

As with the guy who said his NYC is gone, our LA got eaten by Mexicans and Asians.

by Anonymousreply 18610/10/2013

R186 Well, they've certainly changed things, I'll give you that. I've noticed in my area that one by one, almost all of the "mainstream" supermarkets (e.g., Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons) have been replaced by Asian or Hispanic stores.

by Anonymousreply 18710/10/2013

Everyone got laid a lot in the 70s. It was GREAT.

by Anonymousreply 18810/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 18910/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.