Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gov. Chris Christie plans appeal of N.J. gay marriage ruling

A spokesman for Gov. Chris Christie says he will appeal a state court ruling calling for same-sex marriage to be legalized.

Spokesman Michael Drewniak says Christie “will let the Supreme Court make this constitutional determination” after lawmakers rejected his previous plan to have voters decide whether to allow same-sex marriage.

A state judge ruled earlier Friday that the state must allow same-sex couples to marry beginning Oct. 21.

Judge Mary Jacobson says now that the federal government recognizes gay marriages, not doing so in New Jersey would violate the state constitution. The judge accepted the position of lawyers from gay rights groups that the state is blocking citizens from receiving federal benefits.

Developing story. This report will be updated.

by Anonymousreply 2009/28/2013

This might help him with Republican primary voters, but will be used against him in a general election if he becomes the party's nominee.

by Anonymousreply 109/28/2013

Wrong side of history.

by Anonymousreply 309/28/2013

If he wants to have a chance of getting the Republican nomination he has no choice except to do this.

by Anonymousreply 409/28/2013

He should go for the Democratic nomination.

by Anonymousreply 509/28/2013

He's an old relic with one foot stuck in the past.

by Anonymousreply 609/28/2013

"Vote for me Republicans, I do hate someone!"

by Anonymousreply 709/28/2013

[R7] I laughed out loud :D

by Anonymousreply 809/28/2013

None of us are surprised, I'm sure. I can smell Christie's flopsweat from here. How does it feel to be up against it, Big Boy?

by Anonymousreply 909/28/2013

Fat fuck. I know he's going to win but I can't wait to vote against him in November.

by Anonymousreply 1009/28/2013

You can't be a Republican nominee without denying someone their rights.

by Anonymousreply 1109/28/2013

Christie can't walk that line.

Shit-stain Republicans will only remember him hugging President Blackenstein, accepting additional Medicaid funding to help the poor and standing up for a Muslim judicial appointee. That's three strikes. Being an enthusiastic homophobe won't help him.

No Republican presidential nomination for Chris Christie.

by Anonymousreply 1209/28/2013

If he wants to win the Republican presidential nomination, he had no choice but to appeal. He already has the strikes of embracing Obama in the Sandy aftermath and signing the anti-conversion therapy bill. He doesn't have any more strikes before he is out as a Republican presidential nominee contender. He has to placate the base now.

by Anonymousreply 1309/28/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1409/28/2013

He wants to put gay marriage on the November ballot and let the people decide. If it passes, and it should, won't the southern fundies go apeshit?

by Anonymousreply 1509/28/2013

Christie is a fat fuck. He always was a fat fuck. He will always be a fat fuck.

by Anonymousreply 1609/28/2013

He voted to defund Planned Parenthood.

by Anonymousreply 1709/28/2013

Any liberal or progressive that supports this asshole is deluded.

Just because he's not [italic]quite[/italic] has hateful, ignorant, or bigoted as most Republicans does not make him someone any Democrat, Liberal, or Progressive should ever vote for.

by Anonymousreply 1809/28/2013

I think this is a win/win for Christie.

I can't think of anyone who has a chance of getting the Democratic Party nomination who has a stellar record on this issue. Certainly not HRC.

If the ruling stands Christie has done his job as governor and NJ has same sex marriage.

If the ruling doesn't stand - Christie insists it is an issue that should go the voters. He wins regardless of the outcome.

The Dems won't want to bring it up, because they will have to explain their "evolution" on the subject.

The Repubs won't want to bring it up because it becomes a distraction and doesn't poll well.

The worst thing that could have happened to Christie on this issue was for his veto to be the last action. Now it won't be.

by Anonymousreply 1909/28/2013

Does anyone actually think Christie gives a fuck if gays marry or not? Of course not. He's obviously only doing this to appeal to the base. Problem is, most NJ GOPers root their conservatism in fiscal matters and care little of bedroom matters like gay marriage and abortion.

Christie is not playing to the NJ GOP base, but rather looking towards the national stage. He damaged himself with the Southern GOP voting block and needs to garner their favor.

by Anonymousreply 2009/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.