Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the Most Screwed Up Thing About Your State? Check This Chart

For all the U-S-A, U-S-A rah rah that goes around, the United States can be a shameful place.

The below map lays out some of the statistically worst things about each state. It covers everything from health to crime to travel to drug use. Some states don't have it so bad (Ohio, the "nerdiest") but others really kind of suck (Mississippi has the highest rate of obesity at 35.3% of total population ... and ranks poorly in the most number of categories. These include highest rate of child poverty at 31.9%, highest rate of infant mortality at 1.01%, lowest median household income at $35,078, lowest teacher salary in 2013, highest teen birth rate at 71.9 per 1,000 women aged 15 to 19 and highest overall rate of STDs. Phew.). The map was originally produced by and the Cartographic Research Lab at the University of Alabama, and gathers from an array of sources.

It's not 100% science proof ... some of the metrics are taken from purely qualitative rankings (i.e. North Dakota).

It's supposed to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, but some of the stats will really shock you.

by Anonymousreply 309/28/2013

It's connected to the rest of the country!

by Anonymousreply 109/28/2013

Not originally from CA but can anyone explain this states views on taxes that effect business? I have heard many time that California drives businesses out by its tax laws, so why? I know they have lost the film industry and good paying jobs that are not service related are still in decline. That's screwed up for a state as populated as it is.

by Anonymousreply 209/28/2013

Bill Maher talked about this last night. We have a surplus instead of a defecit. We have pot, gay marriage and NO TEA PARTY influence at all! Not screwed up.

by Anonymousreply 309/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!