Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does the comma go outside the quotations?

or inside?

Hit me Grammar bitches!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6609/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 109/27/2013

I could be wrong, but what I learned was that if the comma was part of the original quote, it goes inside. Otherwise, it goes outside.

by Anonymousreply 209/27/2013

depends on whether you are AMerican or British.

by Anonymousreply 309/27/2013

Depends on where you're from, OP.

Americans: Inside.

Brits: Outside

by Anonymousreply 409/27/2013

I'm American and listing titles of inside. Right?

by Anonymousreply 509/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 609/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 709/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 809/27/2013

I submitted the paper ...put it inside.

by Anonymousreply 909/27/2013

"Inside." "Inside." "Always."

by Anonymousreply 1009/27/2013

It depends. Most people place punctuation inside the quotation marks simply because it looks better, although it's more precise to leave anything outside the quotation marks that is not part of the quoted material.

I'd place the punctuation inside, unless the punctuation alters the meaning of the sentence if placed inside the quotation. This applies mostly to question marks, not to commas or periods.

by Anonymousreply 1109/27/2013

Inside if it's part of the quote, outside otherwise.

The rule that it always goes inside is an archaic and arbitrary rule, set up due to issues with physical printing and type-setting that simply aren't applicable to electronic media. The old rule is utterly outdated and nonsensical. Like having two spaces after the period, the rule is changing.

by Anonymousreply 1209/27/2013

Imajin if wii jus forgot abowt al those aria-ick langwidge rools!

by Anonymousreply 1309/27/2013

If you are a top, you put it inside. If you are a bottom, you want it inside. Either way, it goes inside.

by Anonymousreply 1409/28/2013

The rule is NOT changing, r12. Commas go inside quotation marks.

by Anonymousreply 1509/28/2013

[quote]Like having two spaces after the period, the rule is changing.

No, it's not. Two spaces after a period is the rule.

And sentence punctuation marks always go inside the quotes.

The rules aren't changing. You're just changing the rules.

by Anonymousreply 1609/28/2013

You know where it goes. Yes you do

by Anonymousreply 1709/28/2013

Where do the period go, R17, even in sentences with no quotation marks?

by Anonymousreply 1809/28/2013

I think I'm having my period.

by Anonymousreply 1909/28/2013

The rules are not changing. It just happens that there is more than one set of rules regarding OP's question. If you live in Dover, UK, the rule is different from the rule for those living in Dover, NJ.

by Anonymousreply 2009/28/2013

Grammar bitches are not the same as punctuation bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2109/28/2013

This was an MHB thing

by Anonymousreply 2209/28/2013

"The rule is changing" means The Ignorant Prevail.

by Anonymousreply 2309/28/2013

It's like ," I've seen it spelled both ways." Yeah, well you've seen it spelled incorrectly once.

by Anonymousreply 2409/28/2013

In this case "the rule is changing" can be a way to eliminate the difference between two rules. If the change is made, it won't change the meaning of a sentence where it's applied. It's not dumbing down sentence structure.

by Anonymousreply 2509/28/2013

Logic might say inside, to include a comma, at least to show reader it may be part of a list. For example, " the car comes in white," where the phrase is "the car comes in white, black or silver." Otherwise, the quote might wrongly suggest that the car comes only in white?

by Anonymousreply 2609/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 2709/28/2013

I pretend I'm British since the UK way makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 2809/28/2013

Thank God. I started freaking out at the thought of only one space after a period.

by Anonymousreply 2909/28/2013

[quote]I pretend I'm British since the UK way makes more sense.

True. Plus the Brit way pisses off mhb, which is always a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 3009/28/2013

Though DAY-tuh is preferred in the USA, I like to sound British by saying DA-tuh.

by Anonymousreply 3109/28/2013

R16 is living in the past...

by Anonymousreply 3209/28/2013

The comma is coming from inside the house.

by Anonymousreply 3309/28/2013

[quote]The rule that it always goes inside is an archaic and arbitrary rule, set up due to issues with physical printing and type-setting that simply aren't applicable to electronic media.

And yet I challenge you to cite examples from major American publications, in print or online, where the commas are outside in a series of quoted items.

"Rhiannon," "Dreams," and "Edge of Seventeen," all of which were recorded more than 30 years ago, remain highlights of Ms. Nicks's stage shows to this day.

by Anonymousreply 3409/28/2013

It's crazy to double space after a period. Please don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 3509/28/2013

What about the period at the end of a sentence with parentheses? (I am ignorant of thus rule.) or (I am ignorant if this rule).

by Anonymousreply 3609/28/2013

The Stevie Nicks troll has an opinion on grammar? Rock on, ancient queen.

by Anonymousreply 3709/28/2013

R34, give it time. It takes a while for some of the old set-in-their-ways stodgy businesses and editors to catch up.

It's utterly stupid to put the comma inside the quotes in that example you cited. There is NO reason to do it, none what-so-ever.

by Anonymousreply 3809/28/2013

Editor, please opine. Your opinion is valued. Is it, "My pussy stinks," she wrote? Or is it, "My pussy stinks", she wrote?

by Anonymousreply 3909/28/2013

She didn't write it, R39. It was an imposter.

by Anonymousreply 4009/28/2013

That's the wrong question. In the U.S., the comma goes BEFORE the quotation mark.

John said, "Where does the comma go?"

"It goes before the quotation mark," Sarah replied.

Purdue OWL: "In all the examples above, note how the period or comma punctuation always comes before the final quotation mark."

by Anonymousreply 4109/28/2013

So, is this correct?

The man said, "Give me liberty or give me death."

Or, should the comma after said go inside the quotation mark? I was taught that the comma after the word said would be placed directly after the word said and not put after the quotation mark.

I need to review grammar and punctuation, but don't have the money to enroll in remedial English grammar and writing courses at the local community college. Any suggestions?

Grammar Nazi, I need you!!!!! Can someone start a grammar thread? Please??

by Anonymousreply 4209/28/2013

The proper American punctuation of that, r42, is...

The man said, "Give me liberty, or give me death!"

by Anonymousreply 4309/28/2013

If "the government are useless" why not "the forest are green"?

I hope I punctuated that correctly?

by Anonymousreply 4409/28/2013

I always comma inside.

by Anonymousreply 4509/28/2013

You are correct that the question mark comes outside your quotation mark because the quotation is not a question. But in an if-then question you need a comma, so...

If "the government are useless," why not "the forest are green"?

by Anonymousreply 4609/28/2013

Always go with US punctuation, spellings and the General American accent. The UK is a cultural retirement home and needs to be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 4709/28/2013

This thread is making me fall into a comma.

by Anonymousreply 4809/28/2013

Is it an Oxford comma, R48?

by Anonymousreply 4909/28/2013

[quote]If you live in Dover, UK, the rule is different from the rule for those living in Dover, NJ.

What about people living in Dover, Delaware? What do they do?

by Anonymousreply 5009/28/2013

Not that anyone has asked my opinion, but I prefer someone to comma inside as well.

by Anonymousreply 5109/28/2013

"What about people living in Dover, Delaware? What do they do?"

Drink or carry coffins. They don't read or write.

by Anonymousreply 5209/28/2013

One - we, if you're a queen - live for, with and by the MLA Handbook.

by Anonymousreply 5309/28/2013

[quote]What about people living in Dover, Delaware? What do they do?

We've been told that they wipe from back to front. Sorry you had to ask that probing question.

by Anonymousreply 5409/28/2013

"We've been told that they wipe from back to front"

or dear R54,

is it "We've been told they wipe from back to front"?

"We've been told they wipe back to front"?

English is so fickle.

by Anonymousreply 5509/28/2013

I love how the under-30 crowd feels that all rules and standards need to be changed because they, the under-30 crowd, find them to be useless and obsolete.

... and how they always site electronic media as justification.

by Anonymousreply 5609/28/2013

"site", R56?

by Anonymousreply 5709/28/2013

I thought B the reason for one space after a period is due to the advent if the computer/printer? A. The view at CMOS is that there is no reason for two spaces after a period in published work. Some people, however—my colleagues included—prefer it, relegating this preference to their personal correspondence and notes. I’ve noticed in old American books printed in the few decades before and after the turn of the last century (ca. 1870–1930 at least) that there seemed to be a trend in publishing to use extra space (sometimes quite a bit of it) after periods. And many people were taught to use that extra space in typing class (I was). But introducing two spaces after the period causes problems: (1) it is inefficient, requiring an extra keystroke for every sentence; (2) even if a program is set to automatically put an extra space after a period, such automation is never foolproof; (3) there is no proof that an extra space actually improves readability—as your comment suggests, it’s probably just a matter of familiarity (Who knows? perhaps it’s actually more efficient to read with less regard for sentences as individual units of thought—many centuries ago, for example in ancient Greece, there were no spaces even between words, and no punctuation); (4) two spaces are harder to control for than one in electronic documents (I find that the earmark of a document that imposes a two-space rule is a smattering of instances of both three spaces and one space after a period, and two spaces in the middle of sentences); and (5) two spaces can cause problems with line breaks in certain programs.

by Anonymousreply 5809/28/2013

Love you, r 57

by Anonymousreply 5909/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 6009/28/2013

Double space after a period. It looks better.

by Anonymousreply 6109/28/2013

The Stevie Nicks troll should know that it's Stevie Nicks' song, not Stevie Nicks's.

by Anonymousreply 6209/28/2013

[quote]"site", [R56]?

Really, R57? shouldn't that be

[quote]"site," R56?

Oops, yes, I'll confess to a mistake - but at least I'm not claiming that spelling doesn't apply to young people because the rules have changed.

by Anonymousreply 6309/29/2013

The period or comma should go inside because otherwise you won't see it because your eye has been drawn to the close quotation mark in the upper edge of the letter space.

And that's DOUBLY true if you are only putting one space at the end of the sentence.

by Anonymousreply 6409/29/2013

Why do some people put no space between the last word (and its attendant period or quotation mark) and the next word.

It looks like this.It looks like this.And it makes me think the person who wrote it is stupid.Really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 6509/29/2013

This thread will hit 600 posts in no time.

Hell hath not fury, like a grammar queen who's challenged.

by Anonymousreply 6609/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!