Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Common Sense

Ban oil imports

Repeal the second amendment

Limit CEO pay and put an elected worker on every board with veto power on executive compensation

Institute capital controls and forbid companies to hoard cash overseas to evade US tax

100% tariffs on Chinese goods to compensate for their manipulated currency

All commercial banks by law must reduce real estate exposure to 25% of assets

Nobody can hold or trade futures without a license

Hedge funds simply eliminated

Capital controls. Nobody can transfer more than $1 million out of the country without government knowledge and okay

Ban on food imports

$5 trillion infrastructure package

Ban domestic use of unmanned aircraft

Withdraw all U.S. troops from overseas except Korea and Britain.

Raise taxes on the rich to 60% on the highest bracket and seize all fortunes greater than $1 billion.

Make it a law that all public corporations pay dividend within ten years or lose their limited liability.

by Anonymousreply 4910/07/2013

Ban all shareholdings by corporations and all shareholdings in the names of others. All common voting shares must be in the name of the end beneficiary at all times.

by Anonymousreply 109/27/2013

I suspect most of these measures would be absolutely catastrophic to the global economy.

by Anonymousreply 209/27/2013

food imports?

by Anonymousreply 309/27/2013

Sounds like a plan. A five year plan.

by Anonymousreply 409/27/2013

Why keep troops in Britain, OP?

by Anonymousreply 509/27/2013

Slash the military budget in half.

by Anonymousreply 609/27/2013

r5, OP may be referring to the air bases in Britain, America's largest aircraft carrier.

by Anonymousreply 709/27/2013

[quote]Ban all shareholdings by corporations and all shareholdings in the names of others. All common voting shares must be in the name of the end beneficiary at all times.

What about people who own shares through mutual funds?

by Anonymousreply 809/27/2013

Actual real penalties for corporate crimes would be good - no-one is ever held accountable whether it's fraud or manslaughter.

by Anonymousreply 909/27/2013

[quote] seize all fortunes greater than $1 billion

Why does anyone need a billion dollars? How about .01 billion?

by Anonymousreply 1009/27/2013

OP-

So, just give whoever controls the government unlimited powers, like Hitler?

You do realize that Hitler said the exact same things you put in your post, don't you?

Wait, you DIDN'T know that Hitler proposed the EXACT SAME BULLSHIT you posted? Are you retarded, ignorant, or just a product of the US Government education system?

by Anonymousreply 1109/27/2013

You're kind of a moron R 11.

by Anonymousreply 1209/27/2013

R12 you're right. R11 is trolling all over a climate change thread at the moment. Seems to be of the Bill O'Reilly school of retardation.

by Anonymousreply 1309/27/2013

Hitler comparison = teabagger

by Anonymousreply 1409/27/2013

Require hetero couples to pass exam on life skills, parenting skills, and home financial skills before obtaining a license to have a child.

by Anonymousreply 1509/27/2013

R12, R13, R14---

Thank you- you show how incompetent anyone defending the government really is!

by Anonymousreply 1609/27/2013

Good list OP.

I'd add:

Nonprofit financing of healthcare.

Make all the profit you can in providing services, but there should be no incentives to collect money for healthcare and not spend it on healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 1709/27/2013

R15-

Yes, there are WAY TOO MANY morons having kids---/ but have you ever heard of "unintended FUCKING consequences"!

You may have the BEST IDEA EVER, but when it meets flesh and blood re-FUCKING-ality and those unintended consequences take over...well, you're not as smart as you thought.

I wish stupid kids never produced kids. Killing them, or forcibly sterilizing them, would make Hitler proud!

Have you ever read Ludwig von Mises, or Murray Rothbard?

Look for them- they will show how to see every person (black, Muslim, gay, etc.)- is their OWN AGENT, responsible and in control of their own lives, and not responsible to anyone but themselves and the people in their lives!

If they hurt someone, even indirectly (by selling weapons to the government?) they understand that they are responsible.

by Anonymousreply 1809/27/2013

So, R17-

If you get hurt, you expect the Dr to treat you out of the goodness of his/her heart? Despite the 20 years of school, they don't deserve to get paid for their studies and hard work?

by Anonymousreply 1909/27/2013

Make all per hour income equal. Period. Let's say we all make $1 per hour, plus costs. Everyone is taxed at $10/week. You can either pay in money or in work for the government (gov't chooses job, you might be doing dirty work even if you were previously not of the dirty hands set).

So your taxes don't depend on your income. The government doesn't care if you run a church or a charity, whether you make income or how much (bye IRS). Each individual, whether he beats a podium each Sunday or runs a company, has to pay his share. The equivalent of ten hours a week to keep our roads safe and our citizens healthy and cared for. No free lunch for CEO. And now, CEO cannot have pay that is so many more times in excess of what he contributes to the company.

So a carpenter's bid can cost a lot depending on cost of goods (all goods cost whatever the human labor is to produce it + carbon zero cost). But his rate vs. hours worked is equal to everyone else's. So women's work is no longer paid at 1/5 or less compared to men's work. So the teacher makes the same as the insurance salesman or the tradesman. So the healthcare provider makes the same as the baker.

Huge, dis-incentive tariff on any imports that are not proven to be fair trade and sustainably produced. So Westerners can't just live on the backs of world citizens. No demand for slavery, anywhere.

Doing this will make it more clear what everything is worth to us. Some people can obtain things oh so easily simply because of nepotism, or lineage, career / social position. The economy will naturally truncate anything that doesn't contribute its fair share, regardless of previous privilege. Everyone will be on an even playing field. Everyone will have enough, as there is noone who is able to take more than their fair share.

by Anonymousreply 2009/27/2013

Yes, they do r19. Which is why I specifically said nonprofit financing. A doctor provides services and deserves to profit from his/her services.

An insurance company, on the other hand, just collects the money and then decide when to spend it. They shouldn't be able to just keep the money they don't spend. That creates an incentive to deny people medical treatment.

All money collected for healthcare should be spent on healthcare, minus the administrative costs. There shouldn't be any skimming of funds for profit-taking. Which is why most of the developed world has public-financed healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 2109/27/2013

Many of OP's ideas are good ones, but presently, there is no hope of any of them being enacted.

I've said this in another thread:

You need to start with a constitutional amendment banning all PAC's and influence groups, no matter who.

Then you need to give each candidate a specified amount of funds and free air time, and a few months to present their campaign to constituents--no contributions (i.e. influence) from any individuals or groups. And anybody who needs more than a few months to get their message across has no business running for office.

Then ban elected officials from participating or holding stock in any industry on which they've voted for five years both prior to and after their tenure. If a congressperson serves on a committee introducing bills related to any industry, they need to be banned from private participation or stockholding in that industry for life.

Our entire government system, congress in particular, has been corrupted and corroded by influence-peddling and a climate of continuous campaigning and courting of money on a massive scale.

Only when this situation is resolved will there be any hope of having a clean government which enacts laws that are in the best interests of the country as a whole and not merely the moneyed interests which are presently controlling our government officials.

The constitution was put into place for the people to use. It's the most powerful tool our founding father's gave us, a weapon of sorts to be used in a last-ditch situation by the people to regain our power over the government in circumstances just such as this.

So I'll say it one more time: to have any hope of righting the mess in our government, we need to begin with a constitutional amendment instituting an outright, and permanent, ban on all PAC's and influence groups, and moneyed influence of any sort over our government officials.

by Anonymousreply 2209/27/2013

POPULATION

Natural attrition based on government prodding: The first four grandchildren of each person gets full education, healthcare and elder care for life. Any more than 4 children per grandparent make all total grandchildren split the cost for healthcare and elder care. Education is free regardless of family size. So this means if your grandparent had 7 children, those seven children each get 4/7 of their social services covered for life. Over generations, families will work hard on the children to understand that 2 is the limit, otherwise it hurts all the future grandchildren for life, as they'll have to pay more in order to survive.

People are more attuned to the labor it costs them to feed themselves and noone has 19 children.

by Anonymousreply 2309/27/2013

If you follow R20 and R23 advice as a foundation to run the more powerful country in the world, all the other problems automatically (through a painful transition) cease to exist. Starting in that country and spreading more equality worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 2409/27/2013

Don't need to repeal the second amendment - just stop prople mis-quoting or amending it to suit themselves.

by Anonymousreply 2509/27/2013

R22: and the constitutional amendment is going to come from who? People in Congress who got elected with corporate and PAC money?

No. The first step and the only one that the electorate has the power to do is to elect people who run with no corporate and PAC money.

Where are they?

by Anonymousreply 2609/27/2013

Limit all credit card interest to 10%.

by Anonymousreply 2709/27/2013

[all posts by flame bait troll (hates:men,women,muslims,gays,lesbians,jews and Obama, loves posting about stabbing women, bashing gays, killing jews etc.) #10 removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 2809/27/2013

[quote] Require hetero couples to pass exam on life skills, parenting skills, and home financial skills before obtaining a license to have a child.

I agree with some of your other posts, but not this one. My parents would never have passed and a lot of my most interesting and successful friends wouldn't be here, so no.

by Anonymousreply 2909/27/2013

Constitutional amendments do not have to be initiated by congress.

by Anonymousreply 3009/27/2013

R20-

Thank you for exposing how banal and fucked up giving the government control of wages really is!

[quote]Make all per hour income equal. Period. Let's say we all make $1 per hour, plus costs. Everyone is taxed at $10/week. You can either pay in money or in work for the government (gov't chooses job, you might be doing dirty work even if you were previously not of the dirty hands set)

So, someone who spends 10 years crafting a boat should be paid the same as someone who spends 10 seconds wrapping a Big Mac?

Did you eat lead paint chips as a child?

by Anonymousreply 3109/27/2013

The US is primarily a corporatist economy now, and only secondarily capitalist. The essence of capitalism is that each person is able to own the means of their own production (i.e. own your own farmland, start your own business), which is generally not the case in the US.

by Anonymousreply 3209/27/2013

R31, I don't actually agree with R20's sentiment, but his point is that someone who spends 10 years crafting a boat should be paid the same as someone who spends 10 years wrapping Big Macs.

Frankly, you'd have to pay me more to do the Big Macs than the boat!

by Anonymousreply 3309/27/2013

Judging by this thread, Old Joe McCarthy was right about you people. R28 hit the nail square on the head.

by Anonymousreply 3409/27/2013

This thread is full of people looking back on their life and realizing they didn't do jack shit.

by Anonymousreply 3509/27/2013

hardly

by Anonymousreply 3609/28/2013

This thread is full of people with two eyes and a working brain.

Sorry that didn't happen for you, R35.

Our system is broken. The poor don't just get poorer, their ranks are growing daily. The middle class is getting squeezed out more than ever. We have at least one political party that functions as the political wing of America's corporate ruling class. The media is controlled by a handful of conglomerates. And the rich keep getting disgustingly richer, and there is no end in sight to any of this. Everything keeps getting worse but nothing changes.

Something has to give.

[quote]Move out of the US if you don't like capitalism.

No, you move out if you don't like equality and fairness. Our country's founders were more far concerned with those liberties than an unchecked free market.

by Anonymousreply 3709/28/2013

Fix banking/finance and get it back to what it was in the postwar boom years, ie return to Glass-Steagall.

Elizabeth Warren has been working on this but the corporate media doesn't want to publicize it too much.

by Anonymousreply 3809/28/2013

Compulsory abortions of women who can't support their children. Yes, I am a fascist, without the master race and anti semitism stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3909/28/2013

Moronic, r40.

by Anonymousreply 4009/28/2013

Real campaign finance reform

Strict regulations for lobbyists

by Anonymousreply 4109/28/2013

R42, and yet you go all sorts of nelly when they question your right to exist. Fucking hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 4209/28/2013

[quote]seize all fortunes greater than $1 billion.

Why?

Would having $900 million in the bank be OK?

by Anonymousreply 4309/28/2013

OP = Chairman Mao

Listen, I'm a Marxist, but these ideas fly in the face of logic. You want to plunge the US into complete chaos? Be my guest.

by Anonymousreply 4409/28/2013

We are already in complete chaos because businessmen are following a self-destruction path. Mutual fund holder? If you're mutual fund can keep track of how many shares you own, then they can report how many shares you own. We need to stop the cult of secrecy on Wall Street. It has no economic function: it's only function is insider knowledge, crime, and what the economists used to call "rents," unearned profits. It prevents people from knowing who owns what. It could be that Wal-Mart is secretly owned by China and that's why they forced so many suppliers to locate there. It could be that antigay companies are owned by the murdering Saudi royal family. Your whole understanding of who owns what would be changed if this were done, including a better understanding of who actually owns the Federal reserve banks and therefore the economy.

by Anonymousreply 4509/28/2013

S'ok by me. One vote.

by Anonymousreply 4609/28/2013

I would confiscate the Walton family fortune,let them keep a pro-rate share of $100,000,000. Take the billions and use it to get our factories restarted, making all the stuff that gets sold in Walmart, Target etc. I would require them to raise prices by 10% to 15% and use the extra cash to pay their employees a living wage. I would also have a cut off date after which there will be no new public benefits granted, unless someone is in need due to death,illness, job loss or abandonment. If ya can't feed em don;t breed emand I would make it a crime tohave a child that you are unable to support (as opposed to losiing the ability to support, but you had the child in good faith). I would abolish all prison scentences over two years, maybe, in extreme cases five years. After that, if someone commits a crime that is so heinous, and that includes non-violent crimes, that justifies a longer scentence---execute them.

by Anonymousreply 4710/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!