Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cookie Jars

Whem I was growing up my grandmother had a Little Red Riding Hood cookie jar in her kitchen. She would always give me a cold glass of milk and two homebaked cookies. I saw the same cookie jar last weekend at at Antique Mall. The same jar was priced at $500. For a moment I was tempted but $500 for an old cookie jar ? Now I'm having regrets and I've decided to drive back and offer the lady $200 for it. Nostalgia is a Bitch !

by Anonymousreply 4010/20/2013

Look on ebay, 500 in this economy is crazy. Look for it on ebay and you might just get over it.

by Anonymousreply 109/27/2013

What happen to your mom's cookie jar?

by Anonymousreply 209/27/2013

OP: My Aunt Mary(really!) had one of those. The one in my house looked like a little Dutch girl. Good luck getting a bargain.

by Anonymousreply 309/27/2013

Reproductions OK? For a mere $59.99 plus S & H.

by Anonymousreply 409/27/2013

My mother had one figurine she prized because it was the only thing she owned from her grandmother. The figures arm was broken off but it always sat in the china cabinet.

Years later, I have a house full of figurines I have purchased. Bing & Grondahl, Royal Copenhagen, Rosenthal, Hutchenreuther, Lladro, Royal Dux and others. I even found the same figurine my mother had. It is bisque, from 19th century German porcelain maker. Mine doesn't have a broken arm.

by Anonymousreply 509/27/2013

Is the one your mother had this one by Hull? Easy to be had if it is.

by Anonymousreply 609/27/2013

When I was a child we had a cookie jar that was a sitting elephant with a sailor's cap. There were also matching salt and pepper shakers. They must have been something that my mother got at a shower or as house warming present because they were never used. My entire childhood they sat in the cupboard above the refrigerator. They always seemed special and important because they were kept in such a special place (actually the least used and hardest to reach cupboard in the kitchen.) This summer I cleared out my parent's house. I just could not put the cookie jar and the salt and pepper shakers in the estate sale. They have no place in my current kitchen, so, once again, they live in the cupboard above the refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 709/27/2013

My friends parents are retired and to make extra money, they buy and resell old cookie jars. Some of them are really cool and elaborate and there's a big market for them. I'm not surprised to see some priced at $500.

My mom would just toss the open package of oreos in the cabinet. It's a wonder we didn't have mice.

by Anonymousreply 809/27/2013

They're making lots of repros so make sure you are buying vintage.

by Anonymousreply 909/27/2013

My grandmother had a teddy bear cookie jar. I know what you mean about nostalgia OP. I wish I had taken it when she died. So many times I reached into it and pulled out one of her oatmeal raisin cookies.

Childhood - it was a less complicated time when my greatest worry was if I was going to pass my math test.

by Anonymousreply 1009/27/2013

My mom still has our old cookie jar in her kitchen and still bakes cookies It's two kids under a big umbrella. My sister and I both want it so there will be blood when the time comes. I thought of just buying it from mom to annoy little sis.

by Anonymousreply 1109/27/2013

(R7). I don't have the cookie jar but I have the two elephant shakers.

by Anonymousreply 1209/27/2013

ours barked like a dog when you'd open the lid.

by Anonymousreply 1309/27/2013

That's because it was for dog treats, R13.

PS: your mom hated you!

by Anonymousreply 1409/27/2013

Every kitchen had one cookie jar back then. Women were more at home and had time to bake. I remember we had one made as a huge ice cream cone and another as Barney Rubble's house. My grandmother had one made as a red barn and my aunt an Indian chief.

by Anonymousreply 1509/27/2013

[R7] Is this Twin Winton cookie jar the one? It is California pottery. I used to be a dealer, have this one sitting on my patio covered with dust.

by Anonymousreply 1609/27/2013

From my childhood...

by Anonymousreply 1709/27/2013

Dear Paula. You're a lying racist bitch. That was made in China last year.

by Anonymousreply 1809/27/2013

I never saw a cookie jar in real life when I was a kid. I thought they only existed on tv, like milk pitchers and juice pitchers in the refrigerator. And housewives who wore dresses and pearls. And this thing called "seconds" at the dinner table.

by Anonymousreply 1909/27/2013

We kept our cookies in the refrigerator so the roaches wouldn't get to them. But I do think the head roach kept a cookie jar. I think she wore pearls too. Teeny tiny little string of pearls and 3 pairs of itty bitty high heels on her six feet.

by Anonymousreply 2009/27/2013

This reproduction is much nicer than the link above.... this line uses no cold paint and the gold trim is 22kt fired. The previous link looks like it is gold colored paint used to trim the piece where it should have bright gold. Plus this one is only $30. This company has been around for a long time and does a variety of reproduction cookie jars, including some of the others discussed in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2109/27/2013

They all look alike to me, R17.

by Anonymousreply 2209/27/2013

I have a chicken one that was bought new in a tiny farm town hardware store c. 1940. I wouldn't sell it, but am surprised to see what it seems to be worth now -- it must have cost less than $5 new. Used to hold homemade cookies every week -- priceless indeed.

by Anonymousreply 2309/27/2013

Andy Warhol collected cookie jars.

To me they were more decorative than anything else. There are probably better ways to store cookies. But they're so cute!

I always liked cookie jars. I have one in the shape of a shiny red apple.

by Anonymousreply 2409/27/2013

This was ours. Her name is Miss Priss...go figure.

by Anonymousreply 2509/27/2013

Vintage cookie jars are hard to find and worth the investment. It's more than nostalgia - the cookie jar is a dying art.

by Anonymousreply 2609/27/2013

[R26] Not true ! With the internet the value of cookie jars has plummeted. Very few people are collecting them anymore. They take up too much space for starters.

There is no end to the number of brand new cookie jars being made, all kinds of subjects.

There are more than 26000 cookie jars for sale on ebay and most of them are brand new.

by Anonymousreply 2709/27/2013

r17 "Paula"---my granny had a cookie jar similar to that, except "Mammy" was wearing a blue gingham doo rag and dress. Plus, her teeth were showing in her smile. One of my cousins ended up with that cookie jar and she STILL USES IT!

by Anonymousreply 2809/27/2013

Cookie Jars aren't awesome?

by Anonymousreply 2909/27/2013

I think every kitchen should have a cookie's mine with accessories:

by Anonymousreply 3009/27/2013

My nana had this one.

by Anonymousreply 3109/27/2013

This is the one jar that hadn't sold at the Warner Bros. store where I purchased it....ironic that it's the only one that has gone up significantly in value.

by Anonymousreply 3209/27/2013

Would love to get my hands on this one but $350 is a little steep.

by Anonymousreply 3309/27/2013

Found this one at City Liquidators in Portland,OR for $ can find some fun stuff there a lot of the time.

by Anonymousreply 3409/27/2013

My aunt had. a cookie jar in the shape of the Pillsbury dough boy. Once, when I was 5, I was alone in the kitchen with the cookie jar. I thought I saw him bend over and laugh, like on the commercial when someone pokes his belly.

After that, I was deathly afraid of that cookie jar.

by Anonymousreply 3509/27/2013

The majority of RARE and VINTAGE collectibles on ebay are repros. And the vendors, scammers. If you do some online research you'll find wholesalers who sell the same "vintage" items.

by Anonymousreply 3609/28/2013

36 replies and not one joke about smelling cookies?

by Anonymousreply 3709/28/2013

I am selling a friend's estate he was a big cookie jar collector. I am in the general los angeles area and looking for place who might buy them........I dont do the ebay thing and have many valuable ones and would like to past themI have some from

katys creations 4 Elvis 6 roy rodgers 3 gene autry 1 extra largw hopalong cassidy

what's a guy to do? LOL

by Anonymousreply 3810/20/2013

They are certainly homey.

OP, did you get it then?

by Anonymousreply 3910/20/2013

OP, the truth is that most antique dealers don't reprice items using the internet. Once they've written up the little tag, the price stays. Your item was probably priced around Warhol's death (2006?)

If you go back, write a counter offer using a print-out of what you've found in the internet. The selling dealer will most likely not be there and they'll have to contact her.

Bricks & Mortar antiques put very little money into technology and even less into helping customers. Most are very bitter chain-smoking bargain hunters who wear keds and $2,000 of rings on their claw-like fingers.

by Anonymousreply 4010/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!