Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who's the biggest Hollywood actor of right now?

I've heard Tom Cruises' name mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 5609/30/2013

DiCaprio

by Anonymousreply 109/27/2013

Meh, I don't know. I'm glad attention is switching to great tv shows like Breaking Bad. After the 90's, it doesn't really seem like we've had many really big movie stars that have sustained themselves.

by Anonymousreply 209/27/2013

Biggest as in highest salary or most (over)exposed? James Franco seems to be in everything, yet hardly anyone seems to like him.

by Anonymousreply 309/27/2013

Nobody. People don't see movies as much as they used to.

by Anonymousreply 409/27/2013

DiCaprio is the most consistent. Brad Pitt is still big but has had a bunch of flops to his name lately.

RDJ is highest paid simply because of The Avengers and Iron Man movies.

by Anonymousreply 509/27/2013

Biggest as in box office, how much they get paid, how they are regarded by the industry, and the amount of publicity they get?

Unfortunately, it's probably that stonefaced wad of white bread, Brad Pitt. He's such a terrible actor.

by Anonymousreply 609/27/2013

The actor that has the highest combined box office is Samuel Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 709/27/2013

The biggest stars in Hollywood probably are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie whether you like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 809/27/2013

Kevin Smith.

He is HUGE.

by Anonymousreply 909/27/2013

Agree with R8. Not because of recent box office or acclaim but just because, they exist (together).

RDJ riding very high on recent IM and Avengers success and the highest paid. DiCaprio still popular, we'll see how WOWS does this year. Gosling seemed to be on the move but has trailed off a bit...its really about the up and comers, if Fassy wins awards for 12YAS he'll be on the top of everyone's wish list.

DDL exists in his own category as the most critically lauded. He could pretty much get anything he wanted done, project-wise.

Cruise and Will Smith are on career downtrends, not totally over but getting there. There's no big "wow" actor right now, a male counterpart to JLaw.

by Anonymousreply 1009/27/2013

Closet case DiCaprio

by Anonymousreply 1109/27/2013

Ryan Gosling has the most heat.

by Anonymousreply 1209/27/2013

Jerry Lewis

by Anonymousreply 1309/27/2013

George

by Anonymousreply 1409/27/2013

Ahem

by Anonymousreply 1509/27/2013

For actor- Bradley Cooper

For actress- Jennifer Lawrence

They both seem to get offered roles in big movies that have intelligent scripts. Good come awards season.

by Anonymousreply 1609/27/2013

Gabourey Sidibe

by Anonymousreply 1709/27/2013

Under 80, M, under 80.

by Anonymousreply 1809/27/2013

Hanks is still a moneymaker. Robert Downey Jr. is also up there, and so is Johnny Depp.

by Anonymousreply 1909/27/2013

Depp took a big hit recently with the Lone Ranger flop. Rum Diary didn't set the world ablaze either. He's a flop or two away from Cruise-Will Smith territory (almost-has been).

by Anonymousreply 2009/27/2013

Each one is only a star when they are in a film that the public wants to see. Hollywood is a mess. TV has more star power then film.

by Anonymousreply 2109/27/2013

Colton Haynes

by Anonymousreply 2209/27/2013

I think people wanted to see The Heat more for Melissa then for Sandra.

by Anonymousreply 2309/27/2013

Zachary Quinto is big - movies and Tv, he's everywhere. Ewan McGregor has a wide enough body of work that he's always in vogue. Some, like Harrison Ford, will always open a movie above the titles because of the iconic roles of the past.

I think Benedict Cumberbatch will be huge.

by Anonymousreply 2409/27/2013

Hello - what about TOM HANKS!

by Anonymousreply 2509/27/2013

If you go by the Datalounge post-per-actor, Tom Hiddleston's the biggest movie star in the world. He's followed by Colton Haynes, Henry Cavill and Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 2609/27/2013

Shane Klingensmith, duh

by Anonymousreply 2709/27/2013

[quote]If you go by the Datalounge post-per-actor, Tom Hiddleston's the biggest movie star in the world. He's followed by Colton Haynes, Henry Cavill and Helen Lawson.

Which is why I prefer DL to reality.

by Anonymousreply 2809/27/2013

"Hello - what about TOM HANKS!"

R25, see R19.

by Anonymousreply 2909/27/2013

But it's straight fangurls talking about Hiddleston here, so he shouldn't count. Same for Benedict Cumberbatch and Jeremy Renner, although I actually haven't noticed a thread of theirs in a while. Oops, didn't mean to jinx it.

Jennifer Lawrence's days are numbered. I bet the other posters who mentioned her in this thread are women.

by Anonymousreply 3009/28/2013

I love all the M ang G posts. So funny. So original.

by Anonymousreply 3109/28/2013

That good-looking heterosexual, Bradley Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 3209/28/2013

The Hollywood Reporter stated that Benedict is at the top of the A List.

by Anonymousreply 3309/28/2013

Robert Downey Jr. is the highest paid star in Hollywood right now.

The high prestige roles usually go to Leo DiCaprio for first dibs.

by Anonymousreply 3409/28/2013

What constitutes "A list" in people's minds? Box office (Cruise, Will Smith), critical acclaim (DDL at the top here), a middle combo of both (Clooney, Pitt), past glory (Nicholson, Pacino, etc)?

by Anonymousreply 3509/28/2013

What about me?

by Anonymousreply 3609/28/2013

[quote] Unfortunately, it's probably that stonefaced wad of white bread, Brad Pitt. He's such a terrible actor.

Agreed. Mumbles through everything. No range. Always looks and acts stoned. He's good looking, which explains any commercial successes (which in actuality aren't that great). Butt the critical success is one of the greatest examples of the emperor has no clothes in Hollywood.

The Anniston-Jolie nonsense did more for his career than any performance he's ever vomited up.

by Anonymousreply 3709/28/2013

Sorry, OP, I've never heard of an actor named "Tom Cruises."

by Anonymousreply 3809/28/2013

[quote]What constitutes "A list" in people's minds? Box office (Cruise, Will Smith), critical acclaim (DDL at the top here), a middle combo of both (Clooney, Pitt), past glory (Nicholson, Pacino, etc)?

The title said "Hollywood" so I assumed it was asking about actors who can get a movie financed, open the movie, and make money, not who wins the online poll on the People Magazine Website. I think Clooney would still win that poll.

by Anonymousreply 3909/28/2013

[quote]The title said "Hollywood" so I assumed it was asking about actors who can get a movie financed, open the movie, and make money, not who wins the online poll on the People Magazine Website. I think Clooney would still win that poll.

But isn't that all the same thing? Money-making actors who can open films always top those same polls. Clooney is a prime example of this, ditto DiCaprio, Affleck etc.

Wouldn't critical acclaim come in a bit?

by Anonymousreply 4009/28/2013

Cavill.

Hung like a mule.

by Anonymousreply 4109/28/2013

RDJ is high on the list.

Most A-listers like Depp, DiCaprio, Smith, Pitt, Clooney, Cruise are have lost their shine, which I am completely OK with me bc none of them is very talented.

I see Oscar Isaac and Andrew Garfield on the rise. Both are very talented.

People like Gosling and Franco are has beens

by Anonymousreply 4209/28/2013

Would you really say Clooney and Pitt aren’t still high A list? Both have carved out new roles as prestige producers and in Clooney’s case, director. Both still taking on lead acting roles and high prestige supporting ones. Both very much still visible now more than ever..

Smith/Cruise have absolutely been on a downward trend. Ditto (for now) Depp. Gosling’s in more of a pause than anything else now, wouldn’t write him off yet.

Agree re Garfield/Isaac. But would you call either A list yet? perhaps B/B+ and rising.

by Anonymousreply 4309/28/2013

You are a complete idiot, r42. None of them talented? Your statement was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4409/28/2013

I don't know that Clooney is really A List, at least not for acting.

Here's his last 5 years of production according to IMDB (with Gravity just coming out and two in production):

Burn After Reading

Leatherheads

Up in the Air

The Men Who Stare at Goats

Fantastic Mr. Fox (voice only)

The American

The Ides of March

The Descendants

8 (Video)

Gravity

Granted, you can say that he's so big he can pick the projects that interest him, but I don't see any tentpoles or franchises on that list.

by Anonymousreply 4509/29/2013

R44

Little knowledge about acting and rudeness apparently goes hand in hand.

Reg Clooney and A- list, well he was the second choice for Gravity.

by Anonymousreply 4609/29/2013

I think rightly or wrongly, DiCaprio is the only A-lister who straddles the movie star who puts butts on seats, sells magazines; and the serious actor who gets critical attention and name comes up during award season.

by Anonymousreply 4709/29/2013

DiCaprio's consistent A list status is baffling because he's not really a media whore.

by Anonymousreply 4809/29/2013

R45 he was nominated for an Oscar for two of those films though. Doesn't critical acclaim matter here? Or are you judging strictly by bo and grosses? Is it all about tentpoles and franchises.

He produced and/or directed several of those, which seems to be the direction he's going in career-wise. Several of the films on the list were critically lauded.

Agree with both r47 and 48. He's taken over the spot held by Cruise until a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4909/29/2013

You silly girls, Mr Burt Reynolds,of course.

by Anonymousreply 5009/29/2013

Clooney's Oscar nominations are a joke, he is one of the worst actors in Hollywood. He did a great job as a director with Confessions of a Dangerous Mind though. Watch his scenes with Sam Rockwell to see the difference between an excellent actor and a mediocre one.

by Anonymousreply 5109/29/2013

No joke, it's Damon.

by Anonymousreply 5209/29/2013

I was always a fan of Downey's but something bothers me about him now, maybe the fact that I really don't like the Sherlock Holmes films...which I guess really isn't his fault.

by Anonymousreply 5309/29/2013

I'm rude, r46? No. I'm simply honest. I saw an idiot on the board and I pointed it out.

by Anonymousreply 5409/29/2013

I agree those Sherlock movies are stupid and awful.

by Anonymousreply 5509/30/2013

Jennifer Lawrence was very big but slimmed down for Oscar season.

by Anonymousreply 5609/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.