Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Barilla apologizes. Enough?

Barilla USA Apologizes For CEO’s Anti-Gay Comments: “We Are Deeply Sorry”

September 26, 2013 ● by Dan Avery

Getting a whiff of some rotten publicity, the American division of Barilla issued an apology via Facebook and Twitter for homophobic remarks made by the company chairman Guido Barilla, in a raidio interview Wednesday night.

At Barilla, we consider it our mission to treat our consumers and partners as our neighbors – with love and respect – and to deliver the very best products possible. We take this responsibility seriously and consider it a core part of who we are as a family-owned company.

While we can’t undo recent remarks, we can apologize. To all of our friends, family, employees, and partners that we have hurt or offended, we are deeply sorry.

Speaking on the Italian show La Zanzara, Signore Barilla claimed he’d never use gay people in a Barilla ad. “For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the fundamental values of the company….Everyone has the right to do what they want without disturbing those around them…” Barilla said if the LGBT community was bothered by that, “they can go and eat another brand”

And just for good measure, he burned gay parents: “I have no respect for adoption by gay families, because this concerns a person who is not able to choose.”

By this morning, Barilla was all apologies: “With reference to my statements yesterday to the press, I apologize if my words have offended some people.For clarity I would like to point out that I have the deepest respect for all people, without distinction of any kind. I have the utmost respect for homosexuals and freedom of expression. I also said, and repeat, that I have respect for marriages between people of the same sex. Barilla in its advertising has always chosen to represent the family because this is the symbol of hospitality and love for everyone.”

We’re sorry—did something get lost in translation? Because that doesn’t sound like what you said at all.

by Anonymousreply 12809/28/2013

Translation: We don't want you fags costing us money.

by Anonymousreply 109/27/2013

Hell, no!

by Anonymousreply 209/27/2013

No. Damage is done. Will forever chose other pastas.

by Anonymousreply 309/27/2013

I feel sorry for the people at Barilla USA. The apology is OK, but I will still buy other brands in the future. The damage is done.

by Anonymousreply 409/27/2013

Here's the question: What if Guido is made to resign? What then?

by Anonymousreply 509/27/2013

What R1 said.

Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 609/27/2013

He needs to be fired.

by Anonymousreply 709/27/2013

[quote] I have the utmost respect for homosexuals and freedom of expression.

An obvious lie or he never would've said what he did, which was basically "Fuck you gays, take your business elsewhere if you're too uppity to accept being told you're unwanted freaks." So the "apology" is an obvious lie, and it isn't an apology, it's damage control. There's no apology to accept.

by Anonymousreply 809/27/2013

Not enough.

He needs to send some big dollars to LGBT groups in Italy and the US.

Then use a gay couple in his ads.

Until then - no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 909/27/2013

I think he was referring to gay people who don't like the brand's advertising because it doesn't show gay families. Not all gays.

by Anonymousreply 1009/27/2013

Barilla is dead to me.

I'll bet they do a massive package redesign in the near future. That blue box is forever tainted with those homophobic and misogynist comments.

by Anonymousreply 1109/27/2013

I wish I could say Barilla is now dead to me, but Barilla has ALWAYS been dead to me. I make my own sauce, and I buy either store brand pasta, De Cecco, or I make my own.

by Anonymousreply 1209/27/2013

R9, that plus Guido needs to resign immediately.

by Anonymousreply 1309/27/2013

Went home and dumped all three boxes of my Barilla pasta in the trash last night. Don't regret it for a second, and will never buy that brand again, which is particularly sad for me because I'd always considered it a good value.

by Anonymousreply 1409/27/2013

If the fucking family he speaks of represents love and hospitality then a gay family represents the same.

by Anonymousreply 1509/27/2013

Barilla announced a new pasta shape. It will be called tube steak pasta by Barilla.

by Anonymousreply 1609/27/2013

And also +1 to R9 and R13.

by Anonymousreply 1709/27/2013

Guido and his brothers own the company--if I recall correctly from a feature FT did on them a few years back. Neither he nor they will be resigning.

by Anonymousreply 1809/27/2013

If the water is hot enough, the spaghetti will bend!

by Anonymousreply 1909/27/2013

r14, I hope you take a photo of your trash and email it to Barilla.

by Anonymousreply 2009/27/2013

What R9 said. He needs to donate to LGBT causes and put a gay couple in an ad. Either that or resign. Those are the options.

by Anonymousreply 2109/27/2013

Aw, what terrible timing! I just started the Atkins Diet today.

by Anonymousreply 2209/27/2013

East is east and west is west, but none of us shall ever meet Mark Twain

by Anonymousreply 2309/27/2013

The weird thing is that Barilla has used Ted Allen at various events. He thought they were always gay friendly, but that's probably US events put together by US PR branches of Barilla. Guess you need to go to the top to find out what a company really thinks.

by Anonymousreply 2409/27/2013

To be honest I couldn't care less if this asshole has the capacity to evolve on this particular issue. In fact, I totally support his right to feel the way he does.. It's not about him apologizing. That won't do shit.

The Barilla brand is just tainted for me now. You cant put that genie back in the bottle. So I won't be buying it again ever.

by Anonymousreply 2509/27/2013

We apologize if you were insulted by our heinous beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 2609/27/2013

But he's not even claiming he's evolved, he's claiming he's always had the "utmost respect" for gays, and that's ridiculous. His stance against gays adopting, alone, disproves that.

by Anonymousreply 2709/27/2013

I'm a straight Italian-American woman. I will NEVER buy their products again.

Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 2809/27/2013

A little reading comprehension: the "apology" is not from the same guy.

by Anonymousreply 2909/27/2013

Gays, I'm sorry you were offended by my homophobia, but please know that I have the utmost respect for disgusting homosexuals who spend money on my products! Ciao!

by Anonymousreply 3009/27/2013

We know r29, Barilla USA is hoping we'll ignore the little CEO behind the curtain, but it's not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 3109/27/2013

While I respect his opinion and believe he has a right to believe what he believes, I also have a right to buy someone else's pasta. And, from now on, I will.

by Anonymousreply 3209/27/2013

[quote]Went home and dumped all three boxes of my Barilla pasta in the trash last night. Don't regret it for a second, and will never buy that brand again, which is particularly sad for me because I'd always considered it a good value.

Well that was'd already paid for it! You should have just eaten it, or better yet returned it to the store.

by Anonymousreply 3309/27/2013

I had something like this happen to me once.

by Anonymousreply 3409/27/2013

I've sworn by Barilla products for many years, but no more.....they can't unring that bell, the damage is done....they'll never get another dollar out of me.

by Anonymousreply 3509/27/2013

Barilla is a horrible pasta, the last time I bought it, a few years ago, it was filled with those disgusting small black bugs AND small worms!

Pasta filled with bugs, usually points to them having a lot of flies in their packing facilities. The bugs form when the flies drop their larva.

I've been eating pasta made in Italy, these brands come in plastic bags, which you can check if there are any bugs inside.

One good pasta brand is Luiggi Vitelli and I forgot the other brand, they're actually tastier than that slimy Barilla. ugh

Fuck Barilla.

by Anonymousreply 3609/27/2013

I love how all these Barilla threads give the humblebraggers a forum to casually inform us about their homemade sauce and pasta.

by Anonymousreply 3709/27/2013

[quote]I apologize if my words have offended some people.

I stopped at "if".

People who use the word "if" in an apology are NOT sorry at all. Listen to how many bigoted rightwingers use "if" in an apology.

Fongool, Barilla.

by Anonymousreply 3809/27/2013

My fuck buddy, Antonio, reminded me last night while plowing my doughy ass that I should respect him and his right to love and marry whomever he wants.

Antonio! Antonio! Scusi, amore! Te amo!

by Anonymousreply 3909/27/2013

Hummm. I think I'll have some pasta Barilla tonight with my Chick-fil-A sandwiches!

by Anonymousreply 4009/27/2013

An apology is only a reaction to stop the financial hemorrhage they will see. Guido's head on a platter and a gay commercial will do it for me

by Anonymousreply 4109/27/2013

Absolutely r37. I rarely eat red pasta sauce but always have a jar in the pantry just in case. I'm just not into it enough to make it from scratch and let it simmer for hours or whatever. Recipes please, ladies. Convert me.

by Anonymousreply 4209/27/2013

Italian products are all mob connected anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4309/27/2013

They did NOT apologize.

They issued a standard, lame, "nonpology".

They didn't apologize for what they said, they apologized "if anyone took offense" at what they said, meant, and still mean, and never took back.

Basically they're blaming you for being offended at their ignorant bigotry... not doing anything to mitigate what they said and did.

Their only concern is losing sales, not doing the right thing.

Too little, too late, not nearly enough, the boycott is still on, fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 4409/27/2013

True dat, r43.

by Anonymousreply 4509/27/2013

The "if" apology is designed to address those who agreed with that assine statement. Somewhere, there are a bunch of italians who believe his first comments.

by Anonymousreply 4609/27/2013

It's a glaring "nonpology". You'd think they'd have learned from Paula Deen.

They need to issue a statement that stops nothing short of proclaiming "all families are equal". That's what's really gross about his statements, that he couches it all in defense of "the family".

by Anonymousreply 4709/27/2013

He doesn't need to resign, I will not buy. Maybe if they showed a gay family, dad, the other dad and kids in a commercial I might reconsider.

by Anonymousreply 4809/27/2013

They lost me as a customer.

by Anonymousreply 4909/27/2013

No. Not enough. I don't believe any apology would be sincere. I won't make bigots rich. If they don't like me, they don't like my money either.

Keep the boycott going.

by Anonymousreply 5109/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 5209/27/2013

I appreciate the apology, weak as it was, but it doesn't change the fact that I'll remember his comments every time I see their blue box on the shelf. People who sell commodities need to keep in mind that choosing a competitor is painless.

by Anonymousreply 5309/27/2013

Look, there are lots of other, better choices.

Will not buy it. Now or ever.

by Anonymousreply 5409/27/2013

The key is to get supermarket chains to boycott/pull Barilla from their shelves. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 5509/27/2013

What's R51's damage?

by Anonymousreply 5609/27/2013

[quote]What's [R51]'s damage?

I'm gonna guess brain.

by Anonymousreply 6009/27/2013

Whatever, R60. You're the one eager to throw money at an unrepentant homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 6109/27/2013

[quote]Maybe I find the idea of boycotts meaningless and counterproductive.

by Anonymousreply 6209/27/2013

Barilla needs to learn that words have repercussions. If enough of us boycott Barilla, they will get the message loud and clear. So, fuck them. I'll buy Prince next time.

by Anonymousreply 6309/27/2013

No. Shitty apology. Need social, community actions by the homophobe douchebag CEO himself.

by Anonymousreply 6409/27/2013

He can go fuck himself. Pasta cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6609/27/2013

Bertolli Germany aren't wasting any time with this reaction on their Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 6709/27/2013

R51/R58 is a fucking moron.

Or a paid Barilla shill trying to do damage control.

by Anonymousreply 6809/27/2013

What you call name-calling, I call a simple and factual observation of reality.

Now stop being a complete dick, you tool.

by Anonymousreply 7009/27/2013

[quote]Sorry [R71] but I refuse to go along with the PC thought police.

It has nothing to do with any alleged "PC Thought Police" you fucking moron.

[quote] I am a independent, fair minded gay male.

Keep telling yourself that. Actually, you're just an unprincipled iconoclast who doesn't really give a shit about anyone but himself, but likes to think himself 'superior' just because you're mindlessly contrarian.

It's not considered radical, it's considered rightly and legitimately short-sighted and stupid.

Go ahead and keep coddling your oppressors. Because that always works (rolling eyes).

by Anonymousreply 7209/27/2013

So you agree with Barilla when he said that gays should not adopt children, R72 -- a statement he has not withdrawn or apologized for.

I'm independent too, but I'm not self-hating.

by Anonymousreply 7309/27/2013

[quote]I am a independent, fair minded gay male.

Translation: I am a self-loathing sycophant for the ruling class and I vote straight Republican.

by Anonymousreply 7409/27/2013

The apology was issued by Barilla USA, not the CEO. Until the CEO apologizes I'm not even going to consider buying their pasta again.

The division in the USA a probably has the most to lose financially if people boycott. Italy is very behind the times when it comes to gay rights compared to the rest of Europe thanks to the Catholic Church.

by Anonymousreply 7509/27/2013

[quote] I apologize if my words have offended some people.

There's no "if" about it asshole. And "some people" is wrong too. Whether meant to be sincere or not, this 'qualifying' apology is a mistake many people make.

Just simply say "I apologize." Or, "I apologize for my remarks about gay people. These remarks were insensitive and wrong."

But to say "if" they ofended some people is bad form. Of course it was offensive; otherwise, the entire incident wouldn't have blown up on the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 7609/27/2013

[quote] Italy is very behind the times when it comes to gay rights compared to the rest of Europe.

True, but I think they're ahead of the times compared to every part of America that isn't a major city.

by Anonymousreply 7709/27/2013

Don't forget liberal college towns, there's a lot of those.

by Anonymousreply 7809/27/2013

Let's make them an offer they can't refuse.. Here's my ass. Kiss it.

by Anonymousreply 7909/27/2013

R51, the problem with forgive and forget is that these people are continuing to damage LGBT. They are just trying to pretty up their hate so they don't have to face any consequences. Let me give you a more direct analogy.

Say I start pummeling your face for a few minutes because I don't like fags. I made a mistake. My lawyer tells you "I'm sorry if you got hurt", and hopes you won't sue, which would cost me money. So now, you forgive and forget because you don't want to be pulled down by my anger. Okay, good. You are evolved.

Now I will kick you behind your knees in crowds and you will never know it's me. I still feel how I feel about you fags, I just hide it better now. I will still harm you because I don't think your existence is natural. But now I don't have to lose any money for it.

Forgiving and forgetting is good when the abuse has stopped and there is no future harm to be had. The only way to stop this sort of thing in our world is a very strong deterrent.

by Anonymousreply 8009/27/2013

R51, another way to look at it. I agree with your idea that if you harbor anger and a grudge, it doesn't serve you. The point is not to engage in hatred yourself. The point is to hold a boundary and remove all support from those who harm you. You can do that while keeping a loving heart.

by Anonymousreply 8109/27/2013

Too little, too late. The only way to create large reverberations in the corporate world is to see a company seriously lose its foothold in the marketplace. Ideally, they should go out of business. Is it harsh? Absolutely, but businessmen, regardless if they hate gays, look to their bottom line first and foremost. If Barilla goes under, everyone will notice, will know why, and will react accordingly.

THIS is how we effect change. Without money, people lose their power.

The downside is their products are low-brow, aimed at low-income people. Typically, people in favor of equality have higher incomes and probably already weren't buying their products. I have never used their brand, so though I'll boycott, I can't make as big a dent as a slew of people who were in their target demographic.

by Anonymousreply 8209/27/2013

r66 = "good" Jew in pre-war Germany

by Anonymousreply 8309/27/2013

What R81 and R82 said.

by Anonymousreply 8409/27/2013

I'll wait a month or two, then go back to buying it again.

by Anonymousreply 8509/27/2013

[quote]Pasta cunt

Two words I hope never to see next to each other again.

by Anonymousreply 8609/27/2013

I rarely buy pasta, but the next time I do, it will not be Barilla.

by Anonymousreply 8709/27/2013

Here you go, R42. As you can see from the classic recipe at the link, tomato sauce itself is very easy & doesn't need to cook more than an hour at most -- it's meat sauce that takes time, but you can use this sauce with meatballs if you want meat.

I don't discard the onion in this recipe -- I save half of it for something else (scrambled eggs, soup, stock, etc.) & puree the other half with the sauce, along with lots of garlic & some basil -- but the sauce tastes wonderful without any additions at all.

by Anonymousreply 8809/27/2013

R51, how can you forgive someone who hasn't even asked for forgiveness? How can you forget words so hateful, when he hasn't even retracted those words?

Forget about WHY you would be so quick to forgive or forget. I can't even wrap my head around HOW you could do this. The nonpology came from the US corporate office. Mr. Barilla has not apologized (or even nonpologized) for anything.

Why be so quick to forget? This just broke yesterday. Why are you so eager to sweep it under the rug?

by Anonymousreply 8909/27/2013

Thanks for posting that link, R89. That's Marcella Hazen's recipe and I love it. I wouldn't call it a 'classic recipe' but it's delicious.

by Anonymousreply 9009/27/2013

I sent them an email telling them I would suck every dick in town before I would buy Barilla products again.

They responded today saying they were working to learn from this experience. I was case number 158179

by Anonymousreply 9109/27/2013

R72, you're tantamount to gay people who say the issue of gay marriage isn't a big deal because they personally have no intention of marrying.

You're treating this like it's some flippant remark when the man is essentially telling you that you are nothing.

[quote]I am a independent, fair minded gay male.

No, I think the word you're looking for is "myopic."

by Anonymousreply 9209/27/2013

R92, I sent them an email and got no response....

by Anonymousreply 9309/27/2013

There's no such thing as "enough" when it comes to trying to cover up your homophobia. Barilla showed its homophobic ass for all time and it can't un-show it now. Barilla pasta was the kind I used to buy. No more.

by Anonymousreply 9409/27/2013

Damage done bitches. There's too many other types of pasta on the market to buy.

by Anonymousreply 9509/27/2013

[quote]Barilla is a horrible pasta, the last time I bought it, a few years ago, it was filled with those disgusting small black bugs AND small worms!

That's what happens when you buy pasta at the dollar store, cheapass!

by Anonymousreply 9609/27/2013

R98 needs to eat a nice stinking pile of hot wormy dog shit with her Barilla pasta, and then re-eat it when it finds its way out of her arrogant, homophobic asshole.

We tossed the Barilla in our pantry and won't buy it again. Fuck them.

And in case it wasn't clear, claiming that this isn't yet another unnecessary anti-gay provocation, it was. Stools like R98 need to go back to their bottle and keep out of the advice department.

by Anonymousreply 9809/27/2013

Is this brand regional . Never really hear d of it be fore now , so I can't impact them by NOT buying. Bummer. The only pasta I ever buy is in a red box

by Anonymousreply 10009/27/2013

Even if they offered a real apology, I wouldn't accept it.

I'm not sure that I've ever bought Barilla pasta but life's too short to give my money to homophobes and their companies.

by Anonymousreply 10109/27/2013

The Board of Directors or Trustees or Whomever forced him to apologize because they are afraid of losing money - he didn't do it because he realized that what he said was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10209/27/2013

R101, it's one of the largest world-wide brands of pasta. How could you have not heard of it? Where exactly do you live?

by Anonymousreply 10309/27/2013

Near Philly R104

by Anonymousreply 10409/27/2013

A sociopathic homophobe is just another homophobe, gravid turd at R98/R100.

by Anonymousreply 10509/27/2013

I've bought Barilla pasta when it's been on sale & I like it (though no more than any other brand). Thanks to Guido's disgusting remarks, I won't buy it again -- but if I had any in the cupboard now, I wouldn't waste good food by throwing it out -- I'd donate it to the local food bank, since they can use it & I've already given Barilla my money.

I did send Barilla an e-mail yesterday, saying that I'm accepting Guido's suggestion to eat another brand of pasta in future because, although I'm not gay, I don't want to support bigotry. No response so far.

by Anonymousreply 10609/27/2013

Clearly they're getting the emails and feeling the backlash. They wouldn't have apologized if they weren't feeling the heat.

by Anonymousreply 10709/27/2013

And while we're at it F&F R98/R100.

by Anonymousreply 10809/27/2013

R110, I doubt most people in this thread defended Paula Deen.

Just because you pull facts out of your ass, doesn't make them true.

by Anonymousreply 11009/27/2013

R91, Marcella Hazen didn't just make that recipe up on her own. An old Italian woman told me that this is how her family back on the farm always made tomato sauce, sometimes substituting a couple of sliced carrots for the onion (whatever will add a little sweetness to offset the acidity of the tomatoes). So it strikes me as fairly "classic".

The important thing is that it always produces a wonderful sauce (even with canned tomatoes), while requiring hardly any effort & no talent.

by Anonymousreply 11109/27/2013

I think most of the people defending Deen are the same people defending Barilla.

by Anonymousreply 11309/27/2013

It seems more likely to me that someone like R111 would have defended Deen.

I mean, it's consistent: he's not offended at being told he shouldn't adopt children, why should he be offended by rank racism?

by Anonymousreply 11409/27/2013

R115, clearly you don't mean R111. Typo?

Or do you need to refresh your page because your post numbers are off?

by Anonymousreply 11509/27/2013

Oops, yes, R116. I meant R110.

by Anonymousreply 11609/27/2013

Yo R105 you can get Barilla at da Ac-a-me!

by Anonymousreply 11709/27/2013

Paula Deen and Guido Barilla were cut from the same cloth.

by Anonymousreply 11809/27/2013

Did Paula come out and say "well, watch another tv show if you don't like racists"?

No, I don't think she did. So this is a false equivalency. They teach you that at even community colleges so there's no excuse for your ignorance.

I can understand that you failed to reach the heights of the ivy league, but to just walk around this world so totally ignorant is unforgivable.

If you can't get in to the community college, there is always the library or community elders. If that doesn't work, just use the internet to gain knowledge and understanding. There are many ways to change your lack of education and awareness.

by Anonymousreply 11909/27/2013

What about at the WaWa?

by Anonymousreply 12009/27/2013

I don't know a soul who defended Paula fucking Deen.

Most people think her fat husband and horrid sons should be sent to publicity Siberia as well, just to be on the safe side.

by Anonymousreply 12109/27/2013

[quote]What about at the WaWa?

The Baba WaWa?

by Anonymousreply 12209/27/2013

Barilla is coming out with a new pasta.

by Anonymousreply 12309/27/2013

Well, in the past I have purchased barilla pasta at "Big Lots" - if that tells you something about me and/or barilla; I can assure you that I will never do that again (although I probably will continue to shop at Big Lots).

by Anonymousreply 12409/27/2013

Yes to R9 and R13. Words are cheap and they can hurt. This apology is not enough but until followed up with action, it is meant to fool us. Really. how easy does think we are.

by Anonymousreply 12509/28/2013

ok, I've gone one further. The url below is for a major distributor of Italian food products. I've used the contact section of their site to point out Vpbarilla's insulting remarks, and to ask Nife to discontinue their products, and promote alternatives.

Hit Barilla where it will hurt more than a personal boycott can achieve.

by Anonymousreply 12609/28/2013

I'm sorry, but "If [any group] doesn't like it, they can go [use] another brand". Isn't simply offensive... In a world of capitalistic choice, it's an invitation to buy elsewhere.

I wouldn't even call it a boycott, since we're only doing what the guy recommended we do. It's a "boycott" the way getting asked to leave a building is a "walk-out".

I think the only thing that would change my mind on this isn't an apology, but a request. He asked us to leave; he should at the very least ask us back. "Please buy my pasta" might be a decent start. Of course, that's not enough in itself. But seriously, this guy TOLD us to not buy his pasta, and now he's trying to apologize, without actually apologizing for anything. Yeah... no.

by Anonymousreply 12709/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!