Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Obama Legacy: What Shall It Be?

Discuss...

by Anonymousreply 20901/11/2015

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 809/27/2013

[quote]there will never be another democratic president or contender who isn't 100% pro-gay rights because of him.

Well, at least until the wind shifts against us. The only reason his thoughts on gay rights and marriage "evolved" is because he reads the polls, not because of some great moral sense of leadership.

by Anonymousreply 1109/27/2013

Not taking R11's side at all, but Della you really need to stop telling gay people here how to feel about gay rights or gay issues. You're not gay so you don't have that right.

by Anonymousreply 1609/27/2013

Poor going in.... rich coming out.

Funny how that works!

by Anonymousreply 2209/27/2013

He seems as if he will be remembered for his foreign policy given his phone call with Iran and how Syria is shaping up.

by Anonymousreply 2409/27/2013

[quote]The only reason his thoughts on gay rights and marriage "evolved" is because he reads the polls, not because of some great moral sense of leadership.

The only reason his thoughts "evolved" is because Joe Biden's thoughts evolved first, and he went on a Sunday morning show telling the world that he's actively in favor of gay rights (which he was entirely right to do). The president HAD TO follow his lead after that. There was never any chance that the party would allow them to hold publicly differing views. It would have been the subject of every single press conference and interview with the White House that followed Biden's endorsement. It would have made the president look weak and the whole party look stupid, it would have derailed every other issue they tried to talk about.

But yes, it was not because Obama possess some great moral sense of leadership. We have seen quite clearly in this, and many other issues, that that's not the case. On gay right in particular, he was a follower. I won't argue that his following of Biden's lead, indeed acting as leadership for some of the country, but the REAL credit for that leadership is due to the VP.

by Anonymousreply 2509/27/2013

The man who single handedly lost the House to Republicans for a generation.

by Anonymousreply 2709/27/2013

he idolizes the Russians and Muslims. what do you see in the future for gays? Look at the whole picture.

by Anonymousreply 2809/27/2013

The end of the United States of America.

by Anonymousreply 2909/27/2013

And.... What does your fantasy have to do with Obama's legacy, R33? ( hey, psst..., someone call 911, but don't make a scene of it - shhhhh, easy - smile like you agree and stuff, just nod and smile...)

by Anonymousreply 3109/27/2013

What R6 said.

by Anonymousreply 3309/27/2013

Middle East Peace by Diplomacy

r19, you're kidding right? Do you even know what's been going on in Egypt, Iran, Syria and Israel? Right now Assad is laughing at Obama because of the chemical weapons deal.

by Anonymousreply 3509/27/2013

Exactly what r30 said. Don't be fooled by Obama's love for the gays. It will disappear in a dhimmi minute.

by Anonymousreply 3609/27/2013

R33 / R35 Love how you have some fairy tale idea that all LGBT people are kind, compassionate and fair and in the next breath talk about eliminating those who don't agree with you and "making them pay". You think you're so liberal, but what you really want is a totalitarian dictatorship ... so long as it aligns with YOUR ideals.

by Anonymousreply 3809/27/2013

Much like Bill Clinton, the people believed that they finally had someone in office who was one of them, that would represent their hopes and dreams. They saw the chance for real change. Only for it all to be dashed because the oligarchy is our real government, the President really can't affect actual change, his behavior makes him far more conservative than voters were led to believe, he's in their pocket reaching for their wallet just like all the other politicians.

Real change in this country would have to be revolutionary. And we're all too busy watching Friends reruns and eating Cheetos to give a damn.

by Anonymousreply 3909/27/2013

Bombing syria

by Anonymousreply 4009/27/2013

A dream killer, frankly, for the many who believed in him with the kind of fever I witnessed.

by Anonymousreply 4209/27/2013

He'll be remembered for ignoring and avoiding the Middle East problems through more than half of his time in office. His red line goof with Syria and rescue by John Kerry and the U.N. will long be remembered by historians.

He'll be remembered for advances in gay rights during his administration. Those who really pay attention to history will not forget how he delayed the repeal of DADT until the last minute and how he said "God" was part of his views of gay marriage. It was Joe Biden who pushed aside God's involvement in Obama's avoidance of full marriage equality support.

by Anonymousreply 5009/28/2013

Health care reform. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 5109/28/2013

The first big step in Health Care Reform. I do hope that the next Democratic president takes it another step further to public health care.

His Nobel Prize for Peace is a joke. We're still bleeding money on wars.

Drone programme?

Guantanamo?

Afghanistan?

Iraq?

NSA?

The immigration reform - at the standstill.

Social economy - at its lowest.

And then this:

by Anonymousreply 5309/28/2013

Pluses: Responsible stewardship. ACA.

Negatives: Gets rolled a lot. Nobel Peace Prize unearned.

by Anonymousreply 6709/28/2013

It will be the Trans Pacific Partnership trade deal in which he turns over US sovereignty to foreign corporation.

by Anonymousreply 7409/29/2013

Do keep in mind that a "legacy" is not all positive. There will be decisions he made with negative consequences, or decisions he failed to make, or WTF-ever, that are part of his legacy. I often marvel how Bill Clinton is unjustifiably popular in spite of some really significant things that happened on his watch that have come back to bite us in our collective asses: NAFTA, DADT, DOMA, and the whole Glass-Steagall banking deregulation mess.

Bill truly set the stage for many of our messes. The fact that he went to work at the Carlyle Group and became great friends with 41 & eventually 43, is pretty telling.

Don't look for the banking community or corporate America to do anything like that for Obama. Clinton was representing the interests of foreign governments to the U.S. Congress in his post presidency.

Obama is so incredibly inept at negotiating with Congress, and deal making, the best he can hope for is a lucrative post Presidency making speeches. He does that really well.

by Anonymousreply 7509/29/2013

Actually, R85, he spends no time "chatting up Congress" including the Democrats in Congress. Republicans are R-soles right now but Democrats won't take a bullet for Obama because he ignores them.

Pivots too much. Floats an idea and moves on. Not many effective surrogates. Not good when you are in effect selling a huge health-care rollout to the entire US.

by Anonymousreply 8009/29/2013

Proof that The Man always wins

by Anonymousreply 8109/29/2013

R86 is correct. I know in my bones that the Republican Party is hateful and obstructionist. I know they refuse to cooperate with him for no good reason. But I do also think he harms himself with the public by not standing firm on things. He gives in too readily.

If he knows they won't come around, he needs to get strong on them, and stand firm anyway. He needs to build his political capital with the public, and the public responds to certitude. The public responds to someone who stands up for what he believes.

I didn't vote for a Facilitator in Chief, I voted for a President. I hate it when this President says, on the campaign trail, "I hear you, America" then he goes back to the White House and negotiates away the very things he said he would stand firm on.

There is no follow up. One day he's advocating for an increase to the Minimum Wage, the next day he makes a speech about the environment, then another day he is talking about cutting Social Security benefits.

He is all over the place. There are all kinds of ways to compel Congress to do the right thing. Coercion by outside forces is a way he rarely explores.

He needs to be a good horse trader. A dealmaker. Everything is about compromise and trade offs. For him to expect people to "do the right thing" is foolish. He knows better. He is arrogant to think he will change the culture of Washington with a "high road" (as he defines it) approach.

As Chuck Colson famously said " If you grab them by the balls,their hearts & minds will follow." This President both too timid and too disdainful. He knew who he was dealing with before he ever announced for President. WTF did he think would happen? That the seas would part, and we'd all hold hands and walk thru together singing Kumbaya?

by Anonymousreply 8209/29/2013

[quote]While Obama's legacy will include economic issues (just like any leader), breakthroughs in LGBT rights, foreign policy successes and failures, and simply the fact of breaking the color barrier at the presidential level, it is health care reform that will lead the list, since it directly and personally affects everyone.

Doubtful on the health care front. It will have to be majorly overhauled yet again, and that person will be deemed the "savior." Obama will merely get a footnote, a step up from Hillary Clinton back in the 1990s. He did however break through the 'health care will never be touched' idea. Hopefully, he's gotten the ball rolling. As far as legacy in relation to it, probably not much.

by Anonymousreply 8409/29/2013

R91 you're nuts. Obama is not hated more than Bush. But I do believe that Obama does not exploit his capital the way he should. He needs to get more traction out of his achievements. His messaging sucks.

by Anonymousreply 8609/29/2013

Ignore the freepers--and ignore the embittered leftists, who are simply the flip side of the freeper coin. Neither would be happy with anything done by Obama.

The Lily Ledbetter Act The Affordable Health Care Act Support for gay and lesbian rights The auto industry bail out

On the foreign front, an end to the war in Iraq and deciding to gamble on Putin's suggestion about Syria. Also, there is the thaw with Iran. I predict he will go there in the next couple of years.

I can only imagine what DL posters would be like had there been an Internet during the Depression. The critics of FDR were not only conservative but also on the left--in fact, they were just as viscious on the left as the right.

Wait 20, maybe 30 years. He will rank as one of the best in the last century, and his blend of pragmatic politics and liberal beliefs will be the bar for future Democratic contenders.

by Anonymousreply 8709/29/2013

Obamacare. Not really a good start!

by Anonymousreply 8910/22/2013

Half black president

by Anonymousreply 9211/02/2013

The last two years will be barn burners. Hold on to your hats when he starts doing things for the last time...

by Anonymousreply 9311/03/2013

Obama will get credit for gay civil rights but let's not forget - because I was in that room when he said it and won't forget it- during the election he was not for gay marriage he wasn't thrilled about repealing DADT/DOMA. Now, others had been working on this for many years, he became President, changed his mind (thankfully) and takes credit for others work. That is what President's do I suppose. In the future we won't have to worry about this. Both sides of the aisle (and the country) have changed so much, we'll have their support from the get go. And that also is a result of so many's efforts since the 50s60s until present. It just all got ramped up here fast and the last ten years have been (dont hate me for using this old tired expression but still love it) Amazeballs. ObamaCare? Sigh. I will say this I am HAPPY to see healthcare in my lifetime and I'm still young. Its just a very flawed program I hope someone comes and fixes, those that really need it I'm not sure will get it. Businesses having to re-adjust and some other things. Not a FANTASTIC President he is, even hard line dems will say he is no Bill Clinton. And Clinton, with all his random personal issues - I believe was truly a great man. This all being said the election of Obama was historic and I will never forget that night - also something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime and so proud for race relations. A little hard to have been so excited and days later we figured out the results in California and the major voting blocks who voted against gay marriage -- BUT have forgiven. That was a real shock. Ok stepping off political soap box.

by Anonymousreply 9411/03/2013

A really bad two weeks for the President. Republicans are coming in with the knives just as the Senate did with Caesar.

by Anonymousreply 9511/15/2013

"His big significant accomplishment will be healthcare reform."

Nah, that's been a debacle. His presidency has been a failure.

Without gay votes he would never have won. And he knows it.

The irony is that this mildly homophobic man will be mostly remembered as the POTUS in the White House when gay folks achieved huge civil rights victories.

by Anonymousreply 9611/15/2013

The Drone President. In more senses than one.

by Anonymousreply 9711/15/2013

Sasha and Malia?

by Anonymousreply 9811/16/2013

Oprah's BFF President Michelle's horrific dress sense Being forced to accept the un-stopable gay marriage tsunami

by Anonymousreply 9911/16/2013

There will be 3 different takes on his legacy. We no longer have a coherent narrative like when Cronkite was on the air or when FDR gave a speech and 85% of the population listened.

The right wing people live in their news bubble and it's a big one, they will twist his legacy to their liking.

The mainstream media will fall in line with their corporate overlords to say something that sounds balanced and leave out much of the important stuff.

The liberal media which is smaller than the right and who only the liberals listen to, but ate more honest, will lament all the missed opportunities and his lack of being able to fulfill his promises due to the insane obstructionism that ground legislation to a halt preventing him from achieving his goals. They will be harsh on drones, spying and coziness with Wall Street. But they will also give him his due where deserved.

Something a lot of people miss, and he wants it this way for now, is all the executive orders on climate change regulations that will make a difference.

I think the auto bailout and his handling of the Libyan revolution are understated. Libya may be in decline now, but he stopped a mass slaughter when the rest of our allies were just going to let it happen and it went exactly as planned. The bailout was a huge risk and disaster averted too.

He walked into an insane time which would have overwhelmed a lesser man and much of his success had been from a basic competence that was not there during the Bush years, And Clinton didn't have a fraction of real crisis or obstruction that Obama had to deal with so people remember him well because it was a good calm time with a robust economy.

by Anonymousreply 10011/16/2013

GOP & FOX News WRONG again on Economy & Obamacare! - Chris Hayes

by Anonymousreply 10101/05/2015

Bad school lunches.

by Anonymousreply 10201/05/2015

Flushed it all down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 10301/05/2015

The minute he leaves office, he will be considered the greatest president we've ever had (and he has done many great things) and the media will be all over why that was lost on everyone during his presidency, even though the media is the cause, as the media will be in telling us at that point what a great president he was without calling attention to all of the shit he pulled, which isn't nec. worse than any other president, but is still pretty bad, but is completely different than all the shit we've been hearing about while he's in office, thanks to the media, which is mostly bullshit and doesn't rise to the real shit that his administration should be taken to task for.

Welcome to my very fucked up country.

by Anonymousreply 10401/05/2015

President Obama will be considered one of the greatest ever. The conditions in which he had to govern are unlike anything any recent President has faced. And his impact on such issues as Obama-care, the housing/economy/banking crash, gay marriage..will cement his legacy as one of- if not- the greatest ever.

by Anonymousreply 10501/05/2015

The scam of the century, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 10601/05/2015

[quote]The liberal media which is smaller than the right and who only the liberals listen to, but ate more honest, will lament all the missed opportunities and his lack of backbone that ground legislation to a halt preventing him from formulating any goals other than those handed to him.

Fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 10701/05/2015

Obama's going to leave hated by half the country. 25% will think he did a good job. The other 25% will say he was the greatest president of all-time. Obama's presidency really doesn't stand out beyond race, and it's been a transitional presidency. Even things like getting bin Laden haven't made an impact on Americans. Obama got hammered for taking credit, which he should get. It was pretty much a distant memory in about a month. Not much has sunk in with Americans besides it being popular to dismiss him. I don't see anything beyond what I opened with over time.

by Anonymousreply 10801/05/2015

[quote]Doubtful on the health care front. It will have to be majorly overhauled yet again, and that person will be deemed the "savior."

Yep. They'll use that need for an overhaul being Obama's screwup of the system.

by Anonymousreply 10901/05/2015

Billy Carter. The collapse of the middle class and the true old school Democratic Party on his watch.

His complete awfulness now has cemented Republicans and Rockefeller Democrats into power for years to come.

He could of been the person that changed everything. He had everyone in his corner when he was first elected.

Instead he first made sure Wall Street was safe, for Wall Street, and it was downhill from there.

History will not treat him kindly.

by Anonymousreply 11001/05/2015

Unfortunately, his legacy will be that of a failure and someone who was not competent to be President. It's very sad, because we all had so much hope when he was elected.

by Anonymousreply 11101/05/2015

The Republicans were never on Obama's side. That's an established fact. They have been very disciplined in being obstructionists.

The racists were never on his side. The "I want my country back" folks were never on his side. Fox News was running pieces on how Obama had destroyed (past tense) the country already by March on 2009, a couple months after taking office, which is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 11201/05/2015

Well at least part of it will be having the ugliest and most useless First Lady to ever hit the White House.

by Anonymousreply 11301/05/2015

All true r112, but O continued (and continues) to pander to them.

by Anonymousreply 11401/05/2015

I recall in 1984 that it was notable that the scary futuristic things from the book titled "1984" by Geo. Orwell had not come true. Recently I realized that many of those things, such as "Big Brother" monitoring everyone and their communications; and endless wars; and the repetition of lies on Fox so regularly that people started believing what they were told, had actually come true by 2015.

That's not the Obama legacy, but R110 and R111's posts contain the kind of misinformation that will be repeated over-and-over again until some "low information" citizens come to think its true.

by Anonymousreply 11501/05/2015

Besides the legacy that was already written the night he was elected, a celebrity president.

Not being able to keep the huge promises he made that captivated the nation when he campaigned.

Another in Wall Street's pocket.

Killed Osama Bin Laden.

by Anonymousreply 11601/05/2015

[quote]Not being able to keep the huge promises he made that captivated the nation when he campaigned.

What promises haven't he kept R116?

by Anonymousreply 11701/05/2015

Obama's Legacy

1. Passed Health Care Reform: After five presidents over a century failed to create universal health insurance, signed the Affordable Care Act (2010). It will cover 32 million uninsured Americans beginning in 2014 and mandates a suite of experimental measures to cut health care cost growth, the number one cause of America’s long-term fiscal problems, as well as to improve healthcare for all Americans .

2. Passed the Stimulus: Signed $787 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act in 2009 to spur economic growth amid greatest recession since the Great Depression. Weeks after stimulus went into effect, unemployment claims began to subside. Twelve months later, the private sector began producing more jobs than it was losing, and it has continued to do so for twenty-three straight months, creating a total of nearly 3.7 million new private-sector jobs.

3. Passed Wall Street Reform: Signed the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (2010) to re-regulate the financial sector after its practices caused the Great Recession. The new law tightens capital requirements on large banks and other financial institutions, requires derivatives to be sold on clearinghouses and exchanges, mandates that large banks provide “living wills” to avoid chaotic bankruptcies, limits their ability to trade with customers’ money for their own profit, and creates the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (now headed by Richard Cordray) to crack down on abusive lending products and companies.

4. Ended the War in Iraq: Ordered all U.S. military forces out of the country. Last troops left on December 18, 2011.

5. Began Drawdown of War in Afghanistan: From a peak of 101,000 troops in June 2011, U.S. forces were down to 91,000, with 23,000 slated to leave by the end of summer 2012. According to Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, the combat mission ended in 2014.

6. Eliminated Osama bin laden: In 2011, ordered special forces raid of secret compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan, in which the terrorist leader was killed and a trove of al-Qaeda documents was discovered. This was a politically courageous act, since a failure might have effectively ended his effectiveness as President.

7. Turned Around U.S. Auto Industry: In 2009, injected $62 billion in federal money (on top of $13.4 billion in loans from the Bush administration) into ailing GM and Chrysler in return for equity stakes and agreements for massive restructuring. Since bottoming out in 2009, the auto industry has added more than 100,000 jobs. In 2011, the Big Three automakers all gained market share for the first time in two decades. The government expects to lose $16 billion of its investment, less if the price of the GM stock it still owns increases.

8. Recapitalized Banks: In the midst of financial crisis, approved controversial Treasury Department plan to lure private capital into the country’s largest banks via “stress tests” of their balance sheets and a public-private fund to buy their “toxic” assets. Got banks back on their feet at essentially zero cost to the government.

9. Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”: Ended 1990s-era restriction and formalized new policy allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military for the first time.

10. Toppled Moammar Gaddafi: In March 2011, joined a coalition of European and Arab governments in military action, including air power and naval blockade, against Gaddafi regime to defend Libyan civilians and support rebel troops. Gaddafi’s forty-two-year rule ended when the dictator was overthrown and killed by rebels on October 20, 2011. No American lives were lost.

11. Told Mubarak to Go: On February 1, 2011, publicly called on Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak to accept reform or step down, thus weakening the dictator’s position and putting America on the right side of the Arab Spring. Mubarak ended thirty-year rule when overthrown on February 11.

12. Reversed Bush Torture Policies: Two days after taking office, nullified Bush-era rulings that had allowed detainees in U.S. custody to undergo certain “enhanced” interrogation techniques considered inhumane under the Geneva Conventions. Also released the secret Bush legal rulings supporting the use of these techniques.

13. Improved America’s Image Abroad: With new policies, diplomacy, and rhetoric, reversed a sharp decline in world opinion toward the U.S. (and the corresponding loss of “soft power”) during the Bush years. From 2008 to 2011, favorable opinion toward the United States rose in ten of fifteen countries surveyed by the Pew Global Attitudes Project, with an average increase of 26 percent.

14. Kicked Banks Out of Federal Student Loan Program, Expanded Pell Grant Spending: As part of the 2010 health care reform bill, signed measure ending the wasteful decades-old practice of subsidizing banks to provide college loans. Starting July 2010 all students began getting their federal student loans directly from the federal government. Treasury will save $67 billion over ten years, $36 billion of which will go to expanding Pell Grants to lower-income students.

15. Created Race to the Top: With funds from stimulus, started $4.35 billion program of competitive grants to encourage and reward states for education reform.

16. Boosted Fuel Efficiency Standards: Released new fuel efficiency standards in 2011 that will nearly double the fuel economy for cars and trucks by 2025.

17. Coordinated International Response to Financial Crisis: To keep world economy out of recession in 2009 and 2010, helped secure from G-20 nations more than $500 billion for the IMF to provide lines of credit and other support to emerging market countries, which kept them liquid and avoided crises with their currencies.

18. Passed Mini Stimuli: To help families hurt by the recession and spur the economy as stimulus spending declined, signed series of measures (July 22, 2010; December 17, 2010; December 23, 2011) to extend unemployment insurance and cut payroll taxes.

19. Began Asia “Pivot”: In 2011, reoriented American military and diplomatic priorities and focus from the Middle East and Europe to the Asian-Pacific region. Executed multipronged strategy of positively engaging China while reasserting U.S. leadership in the region by increasing American military presence and crafting new commercial, diplomatic, and military alliances with neighboring countries made uncomfortable by recent Chinese behavior.

20. Increased Support for Veterans: With so many soldiers coming home from Iraq and Iran with serious physical and mental health problems, yet facing long waits for services, increased 2010 Department of Veterans Affairs budget by 16 percent and 2011 budget by 10 percent. Also signed new GI bill offering $78 billion in tuition assistance over a decade, and provided multiple tax credits to encourage businesses to hire veterans.

21. Tightened Sanctions on Iran: In effort to deter Iran’s nuclear program, signed Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Divestment Act (2010) to punish firms and individuals who aid Iran’s petroleum sector. In late 2011 and early 2012, coordinated with other major Western powers to impose sanctions aimed at Iran’s banks and with Japan, South Korea, and China to shift their oil purchases away from Iran.

22. Created Conditions to Begin Closing Dirtiest Power Plants: New EPA restrictions on mercury and toxic pollution, issued in December 2011, likely to lead to the closing of between sixty-eight and 231 of the nation’s oldest and dirtiest coal-fired power plants. Estimated cost to utilities: at least $11 billion by 2016. Estimated health benefits: $59 billion to $140 billion. Will also significantly reduce carbon emissions and, with other regulations, comprises what’s been called Obama’s “stealth climate policy.”

23. Passed Credit Card Reforms: Signed the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility, and Disclosure Act (2009), which prohibits credit card companies from raising rates without advance notification, mandates a grace period on interest rate increases, and strictly limits overdraft and other fees.

24. Eliminated Catch-22 in Pay Equality Laws: Signed Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act in 2009, giving women who are paid less than men for the same work the right to sue their employers after they find out about the discrimination, even if that discrimination happened years ago. Under previous law, as interpreted by the Supreme Court in Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., the statute of limitations on such suits ran out 180 days after the alleged discrimination occurred, even if the victims never knew about it.

25. Protected Two Liberal Seats on the U.S. Supreme Court: Nominated and obtained confirmation for Sonia Sotomayor, the first Hispanic and third woman to serve, in 2009; and Elena Kagan, the fourth woman to serve, in 2010. They replaced David Souter and John Paul Stevens, respectively.

26. Improved Food Safety System: In 2011, signed FDA Food Safety Modernization Act, which boosts the Food and Drug Administration’s budget by $1.4 billion and expands its regulatory responsibilities to include increasing number of food inspections, issuing direct food recalls, and reviewing the current food safety practices of countries importing products into America.

27. Achieved New START Treaty: Signed with Russia (2010) and won ratification in Congress (2011) of treaty that limits each country to 1,550 strategic warheads (down from 2,200) and 700 launchers (down from more than 1,400), and reestablished and strengthened a monitoring and transparency program that had lapsed in 2009, through which each country can monitor the other.

28. Expanded National Service: Signed Serve America Act in 2009, which authorized a tripling of the size of AmeriCorps. Program grew 13 percent to 85,000 members across the country by 2012, when new House GOP majority refused to appropriate more funds for further expansion.

29. Expanded Wilderness and Watershed Protection: Signed Omnibus Public Lands Management Act (2009), which designated more than 2 million acres as wilderness, created thousands of miles of recreational and historic trails, and protected more than 1,000 miles of rivers.

30. Gave the FDA Power to Regulate Tobacco: Signed the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (2009). Nine years in the making and long resisted by the tobacco industry, the law mandates that tobacco manufacturers disclose all ingredients, obtain FDA approval for new tobacco products, and expand the size and prominence of cigarette warning labels, and bans the sale of misleadingly labeled “light” cigarette brands and tobacco sponsorship of entertainment events.

31. Pushed Federal Agencies to Be Green Leaders: Issued executive order in 2009 requiring all federal agencies to make plans to soften their environmental impacts by 2020. Goals include 30 percent reduction in fleet gasoline use, 26 percent boost in water efficiency, and sustainability requirements for 95 percent of all federal contracts. Because federal government is the country’s single biggest purchaser of goods and services, likely to have ripple effects throughout the economy for years to come.

32. Passed Fair Sentencing Act: Signed 2010 legislation that reduces sentencing disparity between crack versus powder cocaine possessionfrom100 to1 to 18 to1.

33. Trimmed and Reoriented Missile Defense: Cut the Reagan-era “Star Wars” missile defense budget, saving $1.4 billion in 2010, and canceled plans to station antiballistic missile systems in Poland and the Czech Republic in favor of sea-based defense plan focused on Iran and North Korea.

34. Began Post-Post-9/11 Military Builddown: After winning agreement from congressional Republicans and Democrats in summer 2011 budget deal to reduce projected defense spending by $450 billion, proposed new DoD budget this year with cuts of that size and a new national defense strategy that would shrink ground forces from 570,000 to 490,000 over the next ten years while increasing programs in intelligence gathering and cyberwarfare.

35. Let Space Shuttle Die and Killed Planned Moon Mission: Allowed the expensive ($1 billion per launch), badly designed, dangerous shuttle program to make its final launch on July 8, 2011. Cut off funding for even more bloated and problem-plagued Bush-era Constellation program to build moon base in favor of support for private-sector low-earth orbit ventures, research on new rocket technologies for long-distance manned flight missions, and unmanned space exploration, including the largest interplanetary rover ever launched, which will investigate Mars’s potential to support life.

36. Invested Heavily in Renewable Technology: As part of the 2009 stimulus, invested $90 billion, more than any previous administration, in research on smart grids, energy efficiency, electric cars, renewable electricity generation, cleaner coal, and biofuels.

37. Crafting Next-Generation School Tests: Devoted $330 million in stimulus money to pay two consortia of states and universities to create competing versions of new K-12 student performance tests based on latest psychometric research. New tests could transform the learning environment in vast majority of public school classrooms beginning in 2014.

38. Cracked Down on Bad For-Profit Colleges: In effort to fight predatory practices of some for-profit colleges, Department of Education issued “gainful employment” regulations in 2011 cutting off commercially focused schools from federal student aid funding if more than 35 percent of former students aren’t paying off their loans and/or if the average former student spends more than 12 percent of his or her total earnings servicing student loans.

39. Improved School Nutrition: In coordination with Michelle Obama, signed Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act in 2010 mandating $4.5 billion spending boost and higher nutritional and health standards for school lunches. New rules based on the law, released in January, double the amount of fruits and vegetables and require only whole grains in food served to students.

40. Expanded Hate Crimes Protections: Signed Hate Crimes Prevention Act (2009), which expands existing hate crime protections to include crimes based on a victim’s sexual orientation, gender, or disability, in addition to race, color, religion, or national origin.

41. Avoided Scandal: As of November 2011, served longer than any president in decades without a scandal, as measured by the appearance of the word “scandal” (or lack thereof) on the front page of the Washington Post.

42. Brokered Agreement for Speedy Compensation to Victims of Gulf Oil Spill: Though lacking statutory power to compel British Petroleum to act, used moral authority of his office to convince oil company to agree in 2010 to a $20 billion fund to compensate victims of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico; $6.5 billion already paid out without lawsuits. By comparison, it took nearly two decades for plaintiffs in the Exxon Valdez Alaska oil spill case to receive $1.3 billion.

43. Created Recovery.gov: Web site run by independent board of inspectors general looking for fraud and abuse in stimulus spending, provides public with detailed information on every contract funded by $787 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Thanks partly to this transparency, board has uncovered very little fraud, and Web site has become national model: “The stimulus has done more to promote transparency at almost all levels of government than any piece of legislation in recent memory,” reports Governing magazine.

44. Pushed Broadband Coverage: Proposed and obtained in 2011 Federal Communications Commission approval for a shift of $8 billion in subsidies away from landlines and toward broadband Internet for lower-income rural families.

45. Expanded Health Coverage for Children: Signed 2009 Children’s Health Insurance Authorization Act, which allows the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) to cover health care for 4 million more children, paid for by a tax increase on tobacco products.

46. Recognized the Dangers of Carbon Dioxide: In 2009, EPA declared carbon dioxide a pollutant, allowing the agency to regulate its production.

47. Expanded Stem Cell Research: In 2009, eliminated the Bush-era restrictions on embryonic stem cell research, which shows promise in treating spinal injuries, among many other areas.

48. Provided Payment to Wronged Minority Farmers: In 2009, signed Claims Resolution Act, which provided $4.6 billion in funding for a legal settlement with black and Native American farmers who the government cheated out of loans and natural resource royalties in years past.

49. Helped South Sudan Declare Independence: Helped South Sudan Declare Independence: Appointed two envoys to Sudan and personally attended a special UN meeting on the area. Through U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice, helped negotiate a peaceful split in 2011.

50. Killed the F-22: In 2009, ended further purchases of Lockheed Martin single-seat, twin-engine, fighter aircraft, which cost $358 million apiece. Though the military had 187 built, the plane has never flown a single combat mission. Eliminating it saved $4 billion.

51. Dropped the failed Cuban policies of the past 60 years.

51. Immigration

by Anonymousreply 11801/05/2015

52. Worked towards keeping his promise to close Guantanamo Prison by working to release previously cleared prisoners to countries that will take them. He's managed to do so despite the obstructionists in Congress who have denied any funds to facilitate the process.

by Anonymousreply 11901/05/2015

"President Obama will be considered one of the greatest ever. The conditions in which he had to govern are unlike anything any recent President has faced"

See this is the problem right here. The poor Negro had it worse than any other President. That's bullshit. Obama had it a whole lot easier than Bush, who had to deal with 9/11. Creating some fantasy world so that Obama can be a hero is racism in its worst form.

by Anonymousreply 12001/05/2015

No, Obama really did have it worse than most Presidents. He had to cleanup the mess that Bush left him: impending total economic collapse; two stalemated wars; Osama bin Laden plotting more attacks, and more. None of that is "normal". They aren't something that Presidents in the past routinely handled.

by Anonymousreply 12101/05/2015

Part of his legacy will be that he endured the kind of race-based disrespect that no other President ever experienced. It may best be exemplified by Rep. Joe Wilson yelling "you lie" during the State of the Union address.

Sonewhere I heard that a black man in any job has to be twice as good, to be considered half-as good, and it's true.

by Anonymousreply 12201/05/2015

Obama's Legacy

1. Passed Health Care Reform: Took away health insurance from millions of people and destroyed our health care system as we know it.

2. Passed the Stimulus: Bailed out big corporations with working people's tax dollars.

3. Passed Wall Street Reform: See above.

4. Ended the War in Iraq: Ruined every military gain the U.S had achieved and let ISIS take over.

5. Began Drawdown of War in Afghanistan: Same result as above coming soon.

6. Eliminated Osama bin laden: Takes credit for act of his military (which he hates).

7. Turned Around U.S. Auto Industry: Another bailout of the big boys. Crony capitalism at its worse.

8. Recapitalized Banks: More bailouts.

9. Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”: One good thing he did, kicking and screaming when forced to.

10. Toppled Moammar Gaddafi: Left it a mess.

11. Told Mubarak to Go: Let Muslim terrorists take over instead of backing ally.

12. Reversed Bush Torture Policies: Let ISIS reign.

13. Improved America’s Image Abroad: More countries hate us than ever before, and NONE respect us now.

Etc. Etc.

by Anonymousreply 12301/05/2015

All his life he was surrounded by white people who talked him up and defended all his actions, no matter what he did.

This didn't change when he became president.

by Anonymousreply 12401/05/2015

He's been a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 12501/06/2015

R123, the Right-Less rhetoric is no longer playing. You make yourself look stupid. Educated and intelligent people know that had anything gone wrong with the Bin Laden mission who would you have blamed? You want the old health system back where hundreds of thousands of people were going bankrupt because of healthcare costs? People were not going to doctors because they couldn't afford coverage? That's what you want?

Most of the stimulus money has been repaid. Iraq? You must be kidding? Why were we there in the first place? How many American lives were lost because of it.

[quote] Improved America’s Image Abroad: More countries hate us than ever before, and NONE respect us now.

It's quite clear you haven't left your parents' basement for quite some time and traveled overseas. President and Mrs. Obama are QUITE popular internationally.

Turn off FOX, Hannity, or Levin! There's a wonderful life out here among us.

by Anonymousreply 12601/06/2015

[quote]He's been a disaster.

In what way R125?

by Anonymousreply 12701/06/2015

R127 There is too many to list. I'll just mention a few. Mishandling of Middle Eastern politics by letting all the RELATIVELY moderate governments fall. Disinterest in any issue except race. Lack of leadership instead rather give speeches. Opening up the immigration floodgates to hasten the demographic upheaval.

by Anonymousreply 12801/06/2015

Right-Less bullshit R128. Your inability not to fully support your position only shows your lack of knowledge of the issues.

by Anonymousreply 12901/06/2015

So many people thought it was 'a new morning' and all that. Everybody completely fell for the cult of personality. I was living in SF at the time and the fervor, and the attacks I faced when I questioned how elections are conducted following the Bush presidential debacle, left me uneasy. It was so unbalanced. Still, I hoped they would be right.

This many years later, let's face it: the banks call the shots, the military does what it wants, and he was just a puppet. The US economy is in ruins, no matter what they say. It's quite sad.

In summation, they're all 'elite' scum, shady, and we need to turn our backs on them. Just ignore it all. I do, now. It isn't what life's about.

by Anonymousreply 13001/06/2015

[quote]The US economy is in ruins,

Are you nuts? How are you supporting such an assertion?

by Anonymousreply 13101/06/2015

Because I can't find a job and if I can, people want to pay me what I made in 1999.

by Anonymousreply 13201/06/2015

Ohhh... that's a BIG difference R132. We don't know your skill set, sector, etc. There might be a reason why you are unemployed and have been for so long. It may not be your doing either. But, to use your own personal situation to define the entire US economy is comparing apples to oranges. Maybe you need retraining. Maybe you need to relocate. There's a lot that can't be answered because we don't know (nor need to unless you choose to share) because this is your personal issue.

by Anonymousreply 13301/06/2015

Please. The entire country's economy is on life support.

by Anonymousreply 13401/06/2015

r129 and his previous "Right-less" posts started with calls for arguments on why Obama failed, and when these were given, r129 attacked them as "stupid" and attacked the poster's intelligence as well, but then gave no refuting arguments.

With Democrats such as these, who needs Republicans?

Remember history r129 -- remember what always happens to people like you.

by Anonymousreply 13501/06/2015

and ya know R135, that's bullshit too. Up thread someone was kind of enough to list some of the Obama accomplishments and therefore there really is no need to itemize them again. It's simply reading through the posts. But, this information is out there and easily available. There's a plethora of it. But,it's not what the Right-Less wants to see or hear. So, what do you do? You simply ignore them and move on. You cannot educate the uneducable. You simply can't.

With the Right-Less, if I were to place two apples on the table and then another two, and say that it equals four, somehow they would see three and half because all of the apples were not of the same size.

You cannot even begin to hope to work with that.

...and by the way, those are not reasons why Obama failed given by R129. Nothing more than unsupported Right-Less sound bites.

by Anonymousreply 13601/06/2015

Yes, R136, there is a need to itemize, and we love it.

I lost my job in Sept. 2013. I can't find a job with a comparable salary, and have been forced to work minimum wage jobs when I can manage to find them. I'm 62 years old, and have no health coverage because I can't afford any. I'm told that I don't qualify for federal assistance. The welfare department told me that I should apply for my social security retirement benefits early.

That is Obama's legacy to me.

If only I was an illegal alien, I'd be set for life.

by Anonymousreply 13701/06/2015

[quote]President and Mrs. Obama are QUITE popular internationally.

Yes, R126, so popular. Keep repeating that in you mind and ignore all facts.

by Anonymousreply 13801/06/2015

Well, why DON'T you apply for early retirement R137? Fact is, 62 year olds have mostly aged out of the job market due to massive exports of jobs. That's not exactly Obama's fault. The bi-partisan policies that created this mess have been in place for many years.

As a happily retired 62 year old, I wish you the best...

by Anonymousreply 13901/06/2015

I sympathize with R137. I was in a similar position, and had to apply for benefits at age 63. If was able to wait until my full retirement age , 66, I'd be getting an additional $627 per month.

That's why.

by Anonymousreply 14001/06/2015

@ you R138, but I'm sure your guy is Putin, right?

by Anonymousreply 14101/06/2015

I understand, R140. It's the money. However, R137 can continue to work too, and even suspend Social Security later if it's not needed.

I did the math and I can be comfortable on less. Freedom is priceless.

by Anonymousreply 14201/06/2015

I appreciate that many parple are still having trouble finding work. The Great Recession was actually an economic collapse, and it takes quite a bit of time and money to get back to normal after one.

If George Bush hadn't squandered the budge surplus her inherited, and turned it into a huge deficit; and the U.S. hadn't spent a half-trillion dollars in Iraq, we might have spent all that money on stimulus spending, which would have taken the sting out of the recession.

Obama's legacy includes UN-doing all this, and reducing the deficit. There were so many problems caused by the Bush team, it is a miracle that Obama could correct so much of it as he has.

by Anonymousreply 14301/06/2015

Since some people have posted about their personal struggles in this economy, it is worth pointing out that the stock market has doubled or more during Obama's terms. If you own stocks in a 401k, you should have more than recovered from the collapse that occurred under Bush. Likewise, if you have a pension that invests in stocks, it is more secure today than it was under Bush. It's not just the 1% that benefit from rising stocks, lots of people from all income levels benefit from the Obama recovery.

by Anonymousreply 14401/06/2015

Once time passes and the media and FOX's talking points have faded, facts will become more prevalent. When that happens, Obama will certainly be considered a great president. History will also show his accomplishments in the wake of Bush's mess and the obstacles faced by the likes of the Tea Party.

by Anonymousreply 14501/06/2015

[quote] it is worth pointing out that the stock market has doubled or more during Obama's terms. If you own stocks in a 401k, you should have more than recovered from the collapse that occurred under Bush.

It is also worth noting that even with the "recovery" returning 401Ks to their 2008 levels, since then, the cost of living has increased, and obliterated any "gains."

by Anonymousreply 14601/06/2015

[quote] R146: It is also worth noting that even with the "recovery" returning 401Ks to their 2008 levels, since then, the cost of living has increased, and obliterated any "gains."

My 401k returned to its pre-crash high in 2012. Then in 2013, the S&P index was up by 30%, and in 2014, by another 8%. My 401k followed suit. The cost of living has in reased by about 1.6% per year since 2008, so my investments have recovered by much more than the cost of living. Everyone's returns will differ, but professionally managed investments should all be ahead by now.

by Anonymousreply 14701/06/2015

My investments have been ahead since 2011.

by Anonymousreply 14801/06/2015

When the market crashed, my stocks were worth $99.27. The highest they've gone up is $36.16, and are currently worth $16.13.

Wow , that some recovery.......

by Anonymousreply 14901/06/2015

Statistic mean nothing, and are frequently less than truthful.

by Anonymousreply 15001/06/2015

I was in the same position, R149. My stocks were worth a few cents short of $100 per share. Today they are worth. $6.38. I'm totally screwed by this fabulous recovery.

by Anonymousreply 15101/06/2015

that has nothing to do with the recovery R149 & R151. It just shows how inept you are at picking stocks. Picking stocks is quite different than investing, along with an investing strategy.

by Anonymousreply 15201/06/2015

He'll be known for making sure no one can sue Monsanto for any health issues resulting from GMOs. And for appointing a former Monsanto exec as head of the FDA.

by Anonymousreply 15301/06/2015

You're a fucking idiot, R152. Many stocks that were great investments 15-20 years ago are crashing. These are long term investments, not something someone just picked blindly. There's no way of predicting what will happen.

by Anonymousreply 15401/06/2015

Had Obama been more like Teddy Kennedy or Tip O'Neill, back-slapping glad-handers, he just might have accomplished more. But it simply is not in his DNA to be like that. He's a cerebral loner who never courted Congressmen on a personal level. And it showed in his few friendships with members of Congress. They are fragile flowers who have to be massaged and fussed over.

He just couldn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 15501/06/2015

True but great stocks 15-20 years ago would not necessarily carry through the next two decades. Even the DOW changes it's list of companies over the years. Long term investments always need to be tweaked and adjusted throughout it's course.

by Anonymousreply 15601/06/2015

Of course they are R154. If you're still holding Bethlehem Steel and RJR Reynolds...yup! You're most likely on the losing end. These are dead industries. However, if you are even simply invested in those things that you use such as utilities--your utility company; you watch movies--NetFlix; your cell phone--ATT or Verzion; you drink soda--Pespsi or Coke, you're more than likely seeing a significant return.

by Anonymousreply 15701/06/2015

That I could finally marry my husband. I don't care who comes after him, that will be my memory.

by Anonymousreply 15801/06/2015

I was a victim of the GM recall for a faulty ignition switch. It wasn't until the government stepped in and forced this recall, that I was aware. When I researched this online, the info originally stated that my car was not on the recall list.

A few months later, I got a letter stating that my car was now on the list. When I took it to the dealer, expecting the ignition switch to be replaced I got a big surprise. The only thing the dealerships were authorized to do was to plug the opening in the ignition key so that you could no longer attach the ignition key to your keyring, thus removing the weight of the extra keys and voila, problem solved!

A lot of good the federal government did to ensure my safety, aspeciall after the government bail out. Your tax dollars at work!

by Anonymousreply 15901/06/2015

The overall big picture for me (obviously there are many other subtleties):

Pros-

1. Presided over the end of DOMA and DADT. Despite his early stupidity on gay issues, he fairly quickly changed his tone (whether or not he cynically did that for votes is irrelevant) which helped create the tidal wave for gay marriage. I believe this will be a lasting change.

2. At least made an attempt at universal health care, resulting in the possibility for me to have consistent medical coverage in over a decade. As a working artist, this was important to me, and I'm grateful for it. However, I don't believe that this will be a lasting change. It will be remediated out of existence within two to four years.

3. Killed that motherfucker Osama bin Laden.

Cons-

1. Did not close Guantanamo. No matter what his obsessed supporters say, this continues to be a major blight on our international relations, period.

2. Continued the destructive and deadly wars in the Middle East, even upping the destruction in certain areas with cowardly drone strikes. I believe this will contribute to a fury and hatred of us well past the end of my lifetime.

3. His decidedly bizarre weakness on race issues. Considering his heritage, his staunch refusal to become involved in what's going on racially in this country is truly appalling.

4. The continued pampering of the grossly overrated and extraordinarily destructive financial industry, which not six years ago almost brought the entire world to its knees.

5. The most repulsive aspect of his Presidency to me is the shocking revelation of the NSA and the agencies of this country spying on its own people. I will not go so far as to call Snowden a hero, but he did the right thing, and Obama's reaction to him (and as a result his DOJ's reaction) has been thoroughly disgusting and has set off a level of complete distrust in the government that has never been seen before. This damage I believe will be permanent.

He's obviously a much brighter President than any of the Bushes, but he came nowhere near his initial promise, and that's just a fact.

by Anonymousreply 16001/06/2015

[quote]The most repulsive aspect of his Presidency to me is the shocking revelation of the NSA and the agencies of this country spying on its own people.

You did not know that this was happening under President Bush? The only thing President Obama pretty much did was extend that program.

[quote]Did not close Guantanamo.

Have you been reading about what is happening lately?

[quote]Continued the destructive and deadly wars in the Middle East, even upping the destruction in certain areas with cowardly drone strikes.

I rather deal with the drones than more loss of American life.

[quote]His decidedly bizarre weakness on race issues

What more do you want him to do?

by Anonymousreply 16101/06/2015

R161, why would anyone have known about the widespread spying on our own people during Bush's presidency? It was only recently revealed. When it was revealed, Obama aggressively defended it as needed policy despite the fact that there is zero evidence supporting his assertion that it is protecting us in any way, shape, or form.

Guantanamo is still open, and will not be closed before he leaves office. The time to close that shithole was in the first weeks of his taking office. It should have been the very first thing on his agenda.

Americans shouldn't be killing anyone in the Middle East. At all. Imagine that Saudi Arabia had drones flying over North Dakota, dropping bombs on schools. Do you even begin to see how outrageous that is?

If you don't see that he should be doing more on race issues, there's no hope for you.

by Anonymousreply 16201/06/2015

[quote]why would anyone have known about the widespread spying on our own people during Bush's presidency? It was only recently revealed. When it was revealed, Obama aggressively defended it as needed policy despite the fact that there is zero evidence supporting his assertion that it is protecting us in any way, shape, or form.

Oh no it wasn't. You mean to tell me that you had no clue of the Patriot Act and what was in it prior to Obama? If true, that's you and not him. What the NSA was doing is nothing new. There have been privacy groups fighting them for years prior to Obama.

[quote]Guantanamo is still open, and will not be closed before he leaves office. The time to close that shithole was in the first weeks of his taking office. It should have been the very first thing on his agenda.

Who says it should have been the first thing? He has two more years AND it appears as if it is in the process of closing.

[quote]Americans shouldn't be killing anyone in the Middle East.

While I agree with that we unfortunately have the terrorists that want to kill us. I say get them first in the most expedient and efficient way.

I do not see what more he and Holder can do re race relations without causing more problems.

by Anonymousreply 16301/06/2015

No one knew what the NSA was doing concerning the widespread collection of information on its own people, and that includes you. It was never revealed in the Patriot Act which had nothing to do with this, and is a completely separate issue. Your continued obtuseness on this matter doesn't change that, and I'm not going to argue with someone who can't face facts.

I say it should have been the first thing. Happy? It won't be closed by the time he leaves office. You think the Republican ruled Congress will allow that to happen? Please. He blew his only opportunity, and it seems he never wanted it to happen in the first place.

Yes, continue to breed the anger and hatred that will fuel generations of murderers that want to destroy America. That's a brilliant policy.

Then I can't help you. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 16401/06/2015

[quote]No one knew what the NSA was doing concerning the widespread collection of information on its own people,

With all due respect, how stupid are you? You can simply go to Wikipedia and look up: NSA warrantless surveillance (2001–07). It's nothing new.

Re GitMo. 10/14/14 WSJ: "The White House is drafting options that would allow President Barack Obama to close the detention facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, by overriding a congressional ban on bringing detainees to the U.S., senior administration officials said. Such a move would be the latest and potentially most dramatic use of executive power by the president in his second term. It would likely provoke a sharp reaction from lawmakers, who have repeatedly barred the transfer of detainees to the U.S. The discussions underscore the president’s determination to follow through on an early campaign promise before he leaves the White House, officials said, despite the formidable domestic and international obstacles in the way.

[quote]Yes, continue to breed the anger and hatred that will fuel generations of murderers that want to destroy America. That's a brilliant policy.

I believe that was already happening from decades of bad foreign policy. However, as these terrorists attack other countries the world realizes them to be what they truly are will join us.

As far as race; I ask once again what more do you want him to do?

by Anonymousreply 16501/06/2015

He got us out of a deep recession.

The economy is going gangbusters (6% expansion at last count; more than the GOPs predicted they would do if their policies were enacted!) while Europe, which chose austerity to deal with the recession, continues to stagnate. Unemployment is dropping fast.

Wall Street reform, Student loan reform, Consumer Financial Protections Bureau created.

This administration has had the strongest direct effect for gays gaining equal rights. It supports and promotes marriage and ended DADT, among so many other changes.

ACA is the largest improvement to healthcare system since Medicare in 1964.

Ended two wars.

His foreign policy focused on negotiations and sanctions over war (Iran and Syria working to give up weapons of mass destruction, Russia in shambles over sanctions and oil prices).

Opening links to Cuba

Guantanamo will be closed by the end of his administration.

America chose right TWICE.

by Anonymousreply 16601/06/2015

As far as race, every time Obama even mildly references it, the right attacks Obama as a "divider." (Funny how the right blames Obama for their racism)

Ironic that someone on the right would accuse him of being weak on race.

by Anonymousreply 16701/06/2015

[quote]The cost of living has in reased by about 1.6% per year since 2008

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

by Anonymousreply 16801/06/2015

R166 is such a stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 16901/06/2015

If he hadn't been elected the Supreme Court would be 7-2 hard core right wing. Stem cell research still wouldn't be happening and gay marriage would have stalled. He's light years ahead of the Republicans on the environment.

by Anonymousreply 17001/06/2015

[quote] No one knew what the NSA was doing concerning the widespread collection of information on its own people, and that includes you.

This isn't true, though this claim is repeated frequently. There was a "60 Minutes" segment on many up years ago, before Obama. It was probably during Bush's term, but might even have been earlier. They reported on, among other things, a Scotish radio telescope (or similar, I can't recall exactly because it has been so long) that is used to listen in simultaneously on a huge volume of calls.

by Anonymousreply 17101/06/2015

[quote] R149: When the market crashed, my stocks were worth $99.27. The highest they've gone up is $36.16, and are currently worth $16.13.

Strictly speaking, the stock price alone may be meaningless, since it may have been paying dividends, or there was a stock split, and so forth.

In any event, you seem to be blaming Obama because you are bad at picking stocks. All you would have needed to do is invest in an index-tracking mutual fund, and you'd be far ahead, or invest in a diversified collection of investments. Incidentially, it is not too late to change your investments so that you are in a better position to get through the next bear market, whenever it comes, but get help with it.

by Anonymousreply 17201/06/2015

[quote] R147: The cost of living has increased by ~1.6% per year since 2008. R168: Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

R168, the stats are at the link.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.

by Anonymousreply 17301/06/2015

The saddest Presidency in modern history.

by Anonymousreply 17401/06/2015

I'm all for the drone program. Obama has proven to be a thoughtful and intelligent Commander in Chief, unlike W, and I trust him to carry out his duties, including the drone program.

His first interesting approval of military action was when he ordered the rescue team to shoot the Somali kidnappers and rescue Capt. Phillips. While Obama has always praised the Seals as being responsible for the rescue, Obama deserves credit for ordering it and risking his entire Presidency on the mission's succes or failure. Ditto for Osama bin Laden. And Quadaffi.

He negotiated with Russia to broker an agreement whereby Sryia accepted Putin's offer to facilitate destruction of its chemical weapons. Obama was smart enough to know Syria would not cooperate with the U.S., but saved fade by cooperating with the Russians. Syria no longer has such weapons, without a shot being fired.

Right now, Obama is using his diplomatic skills to work with Saudi Arabia to squeeze Iran and Russia on oil. I believe that he will have a nuclear agreement with Iran before his term ends. And maybe Putin will back out of East Ukraine, though the Crimea is Russia's for as long as there is a Russia.

Can you imagine what a cluster fuck we'd be in if Bush somehow had a third and forth term?

by Anonymousreply 17501/06/2015

[quote] R174: The saddest Presidency in modern history.

R174, you're blaming the President again for a problem of your own making. If you are sad, take some initiative and make something of your sad little life! That isn't the job of the President!

by Anonymousreply 17601/06/2015

R175-

[quote]I'm all for the drone program. Obama has proven to be a thoughtful and intelligent Commander in Chief, unlike W, and I trust him to carry out his duties, including the drone program.

You are a sick motherfucker. "All for the drone program"...unless it is Russians, or Iraqis flying drones over The Great US of A and murdering people indiscriminately. No, that's terrorist behavior.

Obama is a thoughtful and intelligent mass murdering sicko, just like Bush, Clinton, Reagan, etc.

I'll bet you think that the NYPD was justified in murdering Garner, and the Ferguson PD just had to murder Brown.

Sick fuck.

by Anonymousreply 17701/07/2015

R175-

You will believe any bullshit, no matter how stupid, as long as it is a Democratic lying sack of shit that says it. Pathetic.

If Dubya had a (D) next to his name you would have supported all of his evil policies. You make me sick.

by Anonymousreply 17801/07/2015

All I know is I'm going to be depressed for a week when he leaves office.

by Anonymousreply 17901/07/2015

Do you notice how it is with these Obama cheerleaders littering this thread?

When Obama fucks up, we are told the president has no power over the matter. When he does something like order Osama killed, then he's in charge and all-powerful.

We won't forget these tribal tactics.

by Anonymousreply 18001/07/2015

But, could you list his "fuck-ups", R180?

What gets me about you Right-Less...especially those who make yourselves known here on a traditionally gay website, is your unwillingness to give the President any credit, whether it be direct/indirect, about any type of accomplishments.

Do you honestly believe that gay civil rights would have moved as quickly as it has had under Republican leadership? More specifically under Romney? You are the people, (and you're included because you're rooting for the "others"), that are actively seeking to pass legislation which will discriminate against gays. Have you read what your kind in Michigan have passed recently? Ya know... if you're in some type of medical emergency situation, and you're suspected of being gay, that it is not required for you to be treated. That these medical emergency teams can just allow you to die. You applaud this and these people?

Two unfunded wars and where did it get us? How many more American lives did, or do you want to see lost? There are so many other things too...

If you're simply a troll, who gets his morning jollies trying to get under the skin of Obama supporters, let me be the first to tell you that it's a waste of keystrokes. The numbers and data simply do not support your scenario of doom and gloom. It's totally, (at this point anyway), unsupportable.

Might it be best that you head back to FOX, or some other Right-Less whatever, where you and your kind gather and can commiserate together in your bubble?

by Anonymousreply 18101/07/2015

Everyone is getting accused about who Right-less is.

by Anonymousreply 18201/07/2015

[quote]The Obama Legacy: What Shall It Be?

First mulatto President.

by Anonymousreply 18301/07/2015

The last black president of the US.

by Anonymousreply 18401/07/2015

For R168 and other reality deniers, from today's New York Times:

[/italic]By the Fed’s preferred measure, inflation was just 1.4 percent over the 12 months ending in November. Oil prices have put further downward pressure on inflation. And the meeting account said that “a number of participants” expressed concern that inflation would not rebound to the 2 percent annual pace the Fed has established as its target. [/italic]

The thing to worry about is deflation, the exact opposite of inflation.

by Anonymousreply 18501/07/2015

Tear-stained pillows

Earrings & Caftans with African motifs

At least $10 TRILLION more in national debt

by Anonymousreply 18601/07/2015

R186, you may choose not to remember, but the Democrats left the White House in 2000 running a surplus. Then the Republicans and President Bush lowered taxes and bungled two wars. Then in Bush's last year, the economy crashed. So, Bush left the country with a bigger debit and deficit than ever.

Obama began his term under these catastrophic conditions, which required expensive action to remedy. While Obama lowered taxes for those in middle class and below, he raised them on the rich, to better balance tax revenue. He acted to end the $1,000,000,000,000 wars. He saved the auto industry and the financial system. If he allowed either to fail, it would have been devastating to everybody. He implemented Obamacare, which has already started to bend the cost curve down for everybody, not just those who get insurance through Obamacare.

This all cost money, but today, the deficit is trending down, not up. It will probably take Obama a full 8 years to fix all the problems he inherited, but at the rate he's going, he just might do it.

by Anonymousreply 18701/07/2015

I should have added that Bush's unprecedented spending on two wars coupled with his tax cuts for the rich all served to damage the ability of the US to respond to the economic collapse that followed in the last year of the Bush Presidency.

The trillions of dollars squandered by Bush made it much more difficult for Obama to fund infrastructure projects that badly need it. That, plus the recalcitrant Republican's in the House, limited what Obama could do.

by Anonymousreply 18801/07/2015

Okay, okay we did it. Can we get back to normal now? puleeeze? Only in safe situations, of course, if you know what I mean .... and have meant for 8 years.

by Anonymousreply 18901/08/2015

Hmm, no, R189, I do not know what you mean,

by Anonymousreply 19001/10/2015

Obama's legacy will be Michelle's biceps.

by Anonymousreply 19101/10/2015

What r184 said.

And the golf clubs

by Anonymousreply 19201/10/2015

Unless wages increase Obama's economic legacy will be about his failures not his successes.

It is the reason why his approval ratings are so low. Even with good economic news the majority of Americans are not taking home more money.

The middle class is becoming a group that rents rather than buys homes.

The drop in oil prices really is only a substantial benefit to the top 10 or 20 percent.

by Anonymousreply 19301/10/2015

A funky smell in the White House. Hair in the shower drain. skid marks on the sheets in The Lincoln Bedroom where he spent most nights. Michelle will leave a powerful stink of her own, and probably wipes her stank-gina on the White House curtains when nobody is watching.

by Anonymousreply 19401/10/2015

There are 52 items listed in R118/R119. The man is a superstar.

by Anonymousreply 19501/10/2015

Unless the majority of the populace realizes it's time to grow up see that this government we have has been hi jacked by the corporations it is ridiculous to expect any administration to leave behind a legacy that the 99% would consider to be successful or positive.

Obama is not in control. Wall Street is in control. We were allowed to have some shallow victories that some have mentioned, gay rights, health care. That was to keep us from rioting in the streets and it was also to keep everyone under the illusion that the system is still functioning. It may have even helped lazy people from feeling they need to go to the poles during the mid term elections thus handing the Republicans control of Congress.

The only thing that matters now is everyone wake up and stop believing we still live in a democracy.

Wake up motherfuckers. And stop trying to have these stupid conversations as if nothing has changed since 1980.

by Anonymousreply 19601/10/2015

Drones.

And I voted for him twice.

by Anonymousreply 19701/10/2015

Riots in Ferguson. Terrorists in Middle East. A weak U.S.

by Anonymousreply 19801/10/2015

R198, meet R197. Week, or strong?

by Anonymousreply 19901/10/2015

President Obama on the National HIV/AIDS Strategy

by Anonymousreply 20001/11/2015

President Obama Announces Free Community College Plan

by Anonymousreply 20101/11/2015

HEALTHCARE!!!

by Anonymousreply 20201/11/2015

When we fervent right-wing historians are through with Obama, he'll look like Caligula and Reagan will be the second Washington.

by Anonymousreply 20301/11/2015
Need more help? Click Here.