Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF JOE REPUBLICAN

Joe gets up at 6 a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards.

With his first swallow of coffee, he takes his daily medication. His medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to insure their safety and that they work as advertised. All but $10 of his medications is paid for by his employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Joe gets it too.

He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

In the morning shower, Joe reaches for his shampoo. His bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained.

Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air.

He walks to the subway station for his government-subsidized ride to work. It saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work-day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union.

If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

Its noontime and Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some godless liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the Great Depression.

Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae-underwritten mortgage and his below-market federal student loan because some elitist liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime.

Joe is home from work. He plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards.

He arrives at his boyhood home. His was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers' Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electricity until some anti-big government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification.

He is happy to see his father, who is now retired. His father lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, brie-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

Joe gets back in his car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't mention that the beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day.

Joe agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals running our lives! After all, I'm a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."

by Oldie but goodiereply 7510/02/2013

[quote]The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards.

Liberals don't drink tap water.

by Oldie but goodiereply 1209/27/2013

FSLIC? This is old.

by Oldie but goodiereply 1309/27/2013

>>Joe could easily use his own well water.

by Oldie but goodiereply 1509/27/2013

You're right, r16. what a silly concept.

by Oldie but goodiereply 1609/27/2013

Be nicer to your neighbors. Don't live where fracking happens.

by Oldie but goodiereply 1909/27/2013

[quote]What about when my well is polluted by the frack mining business? Or just by my terrible neighbor?

Your water well will be 200ft deep at most.

Fracking: Thousands of feet below the surface. Often below sea level.

by Oldie but goodiereply 2409/27/2013

Evidently some people arent reading to the end of r12:

"By the way, I'm a die-hard Democrat and I believe absolutely none of what I just wrote, but I thought I'd do our conservative wank-jobs a favor since all they can manage are one-sentence ad hominem attacks.

If you agree with what I wrote? Then you're a fucking, fucking idiot."

by Oldie but goodiereply 2509/27/2013

Building houses in fracking areas makes as much sense as building them on the Louisiana coastline.

You build a house on the ocean and it gets washed away in a flood, your fault. You build a house near a mountain that can provide oil and your well gets polluted once the fracking starts? Your fault. It's not the mining company's responsibility to give you clean drinking water.

by Oldie but goodiereply 2609/27/2013

Everyone not in a union and working ABOVE the minimum wage is subject to the free marketplace for their salary.

This is most of the labor force.

by Oldie but goodiereply 2809/27/2013

Actually, it's the mining company's responsibility to return a profit to its shareholders. If environmental responsibility negatively impacts that, then they have should be under no obligation to do so.

by Oldie but goodiereply 3209/27/2013

R30, IF Tyson was going to sell shittier food and IF GM was going to sell shittier cars, consumers would know and go to other vendors. There are things like review forums, consumer reports, etc do far more than our ineffective government could dream of doing. The worst enemy of an shit product is an educated consumer. Believe it or not, people can make their own decisions!

by Oldie but goodiereply 3309/27/2013

Whatever, R26, we're using it as a jumping off point for discussion and Libertarians do believe those arguments.

by Oldie but goodiereply 3609/27/2013

You don't have to know very much about economics to realize that, if companies can get away with imposing externalities on third parties (e.g., by emitting lethal smoke from their furnaces), they will do so.

by Oldie but goodiereply 3809/27/2013

[quote]You don't have to know very much about economics to realize that, if companies can get away with imposing externalities on third parties (e.g., by emitting lethal smoke from their furnaces), they will do so.

The most polluted places on earth are "government/public" land.

Nobody owns it, so nobody cares.

Air and Oceans = The tragedy of the commons.

And economics teaches you all about it.

by Oldie but goodiereply 3909/27/2013

Wikipedia is your friend

by Oldie but goodiereply 4209/27/2013

Most of the Republicans I know shop at Whole Foods, eat whole food, cook at home, eat locally. Way to stereotype OP.

by Oldie but goodiereply 4409/27/2013

[quote]If consumers know that what's in the bottle doesn't match what the label says, they don't buy it.

This is complete and utter bullshit. I MAKE this shit and I can tell you that 98% of ALL shampoos are EXACTLY the same. So why do some dumb asses pay $15 for a bottle when they can get the EXACT same thing for $4? Because they're fucking stupid and DO NOT read labels.

by Oldie but goodiereply 4509/27/2013

OP,

Your first post has about 14 or 15 paragraphs too many.

by Oldie but goodiereply 4709/27/2013

R29, the labor laws governing those nonunion companies wouldn't exist except for unions anyway.

by Oldie but goodiereply 4809/28/2013

R49, I am glad you posted that response, I was momentarily too speechless to type after reading it.

by Oldie but goodiereply 4909/28/2013

Hey, great post, R12. Welcome R1,R4,R9,&R11, and the rest of the Neanderthal deniers, to the world of Conservatism of Cantor and Cruz. Here's some great advice: All you Neanderthal deniers have to do is go South or West.

Go ahead. Take your sorry, free market, conservative asses down to Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, or any one of the other anti-federal government, gay hating, Obama hating states out there.

Get a fucking preview of the crumbling infrastructure, the rotten schools, the toothless 40 yr. olds, and the malnourished, kids who can't read and write.

Look at the "volunteer " fire departments, and EMS, the inferior hospitals, the polluted drinking water. Yes, it is. The inferior water and sewage systems see to it. Or, if you don't like the South, Maybe North or South Dakota or some parts of the Western US? it doesn't matter.

by Oldie but goodiereply 5009/28/2013

Unsafe at Any Speed: The Designed-In Dangers of the American Automobile by Ralph Nader, published in 1965, is a book detailing resistance by car manufacturers to the introduction of safety features, like seat belts, and their general reluctance to spend money on improving safety.

It was a pioneering work, openly polemical but containing substantial references and material from industry insiders. It made Nader a household name.

by Oldie but goodiereply 5109/28/2013

R54, not to dwell on the obvious, but that was 1965. Consumers are far more educated and and consumer demand drives changes much quicker than government. Think backup cameras, backup sensors, lane departure systems. You really need to work on more modern sources.

by Oldie but goodiereply 5209/28/2013

And don't forget DDT!

by Oldie but goodiereply 5309/28/2013

The Republican mind summed up in 10 secs:

by Oldie but goodiereply 5409/28/2013

R55, not to dwell on the obvious, but it was the push for safety regulations that enabled consumers to educate themselves, and which pushed safety as a 'desirable feature' (i.e. people want cars that EXCEED the base limits set by regulations), which motivated auto manufacturers to really concentrate on safety as a selling point.

So what we have today that you describe is all thanks to initial regulations, which corporations never would have gotten on board with unless forced to.

by Oldie but goodiereply 5509/28/2013

R59, you know Whole Foods is run by a republican who hates ObamaCare and is trying to screw his employees out of benefits, right? What does shopping at Whole Foods have to do with political party?

OP was stereotyping only in that he was describing probably 80% of self-described Republicans. That you know a few exceptions to the rule doesn't prove anything.

by Oldie but goodiereply 5709/28/2013

(never mind you stereotyping people who shop at Whole Foods...)

by Oldie but goodiereply 5809/28/2013

r60 I thought WF has amazing health care benefits with partner benefits?

by Oldie but goodiereply 5909/28/2013

The national parks belong to the federal government. Are they the most polluted lands in the world?

by Oldie but goodiereply 6009/28/2013

Pass it on.

by Oldie but goodiereply 6109/30/2013

Republicans really do get butt-hurt when their hypocrisy is pointed out to them, don't they?

by Oldie but goodiereply 6210/01/2013

[quote]The national parks belong to the federal government. Are they the most polluted lands in the world?

No, but military bases are.

All are exempt from environmental regulations too.

by Oldie but goodiereply 6310/01/2013

Picture of our beautiful Angeles National Forest for r63.

by Oldie but goodiereply 6410/01/2013

These stunted tea party retards are endangering the livelihood of families across the country. It's past time to take them out of the equation.

by Oldie but goodiereply 6510/01/2013

Holy shit, there are actually Republicans on the gay site. Fucking walk into fire and die, you worthless pieces of ignorant, bias, uneducated shit. And don't trip on your pumps walking into the flames of hell.

by Oldie but goodiereply 6610/01/2013

Don't forget when Joe retires, he will happily cash his Social Security checks that are the result of some Commie liberal President.

by Oldie but goodiereply 6710/01/2013

We're all choking because of your stupidity and the stupidity of those like you, R71. You're destroying the whole country unless you get your way. Fuck you. I'd rather see it all burn then let you use economic terrorism to try to shove your social agenda down our throats.

by Oldie but goodiereply 6910/01/2013

r71 I don't care if 99.9% of gays and lesbians vote Repug. They are absolute imbeciles who are voting against their own self interests. Do these jackasses really think the Repug party embraces them?! What stupid fucking assholes. A fiery death is too good for them. Choke to death on Gingrich cock.

by Oldie but goodiereply 7010/02/2013

You Tea Party nuts want to be crazy in your own homes, I don't give a shit. When it starts hurting me and my family, you'd better watch out.

by Oldie but goodiereply 7110/02/2013

Amen to that!

by Oldie but goodiereply 7210/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.