Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone been to Seoul, South Korea?

I'm taking a somewhat last minute trip to Seoul in November. I will only be there for three nights. I would love to hear any suggestions about hotels, restaurants, nightlife, and must see sights. Any info or tips will be helpful. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 3310/15/2013

Bukhansan National Park, National Folk Museum, Panmunjon, Independence Hall of Korea at Chon'an.

by Anonymousreply 109/27/2013

Artonsje Center.

by Anonymousreply 209/27/2013

Prepare to smell cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 309/27/2013

Farts

by Anonymousreply 409/27/2013

lol, have fun. Koreans are complete dicks. "fack you white guy!!"

by Anonymousreply 509/27/2013

kids shitting all over the sidewalks too.

by Anonymousreply 609/27/2013

tell everyone youre from Canada.

by Anonymousreply 709/27/2013

Maybe do something cultural like a Korean spa where they have all types of saunas, hot tubs, cold tubs, etc..

by Anonymousreply 809/27/2013

That's pretty standard advice for most of the world. If you have a backpack, you put a Canadian flag patch on there. Everyone out there hates us U.S. folks.

by Anonymousreply 909/27/2013

Seoul sucks. Really. I can't recall what it was called, but there's a really high tower you can ride to the top of...best to do it at night. Westerners hang out in Itaewon.

by Anonymousreply 1009/27/2013

Actually, respect for the US is higher in Korea than anywhere else in the world (not that this is a high bar). After all, we saved their country instead of ruining it aka the Philippines, Vietnam, etc. And they love their GI's. Unfortunately it extends to Christianity and religious conservatives. I guess they were primed because in olden days the Emperors kept Buddhists priests away from Seoul in order to construct the most doctrinaire Confucian hierarchy in the world. Still, all the right wing antigay shits are annoying.

by Anonymousreply 1109/27/2013

This is the website for the Independence Hall

by Anonymousreply 1209/27/2013

You have to take a cable car to the tower. People leave padlocks with their love's name.

by Anonymousreply 1309/27/2013

R9's advice also works for traveling within the US.

by Anonymousreply 1409/27/2013

I don't see the point of visiting Korea. To me, it would be like going to Belgium, a big nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1509/27/2013

Try an authentic Korean restaurant but whatever you do, do NOT order a hot dog!

by Anonymousreply 1609/27/2013

r15, you are an idiot, re: Belgium! The Grand Place of Brussels is beautiful, as are Liege, Bruges, Ghent, Knokke (seaside resort for then rich; Google it), among other places.

by Anonymousreply 1709/27/2013

R17, I'm sure that is true and I'd try to tack on a day or two in Belgium if I was already in Europe to visit, say, Spain or Rome or Florence. I'm just saying I wouldn't travel 10 hours and spend vacation time solely to visit Belgium. Just like I wouldn't spend a day flying to Asia JUST to visit Korea.

by Anonymousreply 1809/27/2013

OP, have a great time. I've been a few times and really enjoyed it. If you have time, try booking a tour of the DMZ with the USO through a tour company called Koridoor. They are one of the only tour companies that get you access to the JSA (the blue buildings that straddle both North and South Korea). These tours often sell out in advance so book ahead.

I went in August and the tour was the highlight (though somewhat unsettling/depressing) of my trip.

If you eat meat, theres no better place to have Korean BBQ. Theres a big food court at the mall at Seoul Station (above ground) that has 19 restaurants, all specializing in one particular dish.

Itaewon is a touristy area where most of the foreign residents hang out, and where most of the westerners go for the gay bars.

You're only there for 4 days, so a side trip to Busan is probably unlikely, but there are plenty of museums, shopping and things to do in Seoul itself.

Tip: Get yourself a "T-Money" card at any convenience store and load it with some cash. That way, you can just "tap on" and "tap off" the subways, buses without worrying about buying tickets, or worrying about how much the fare is. You can also use this card to pay for just about anything from convenience stores and most restaurants. There's a fee of about $2.50 for the card itself but it's well worth it IMO.

by Anonymousreply 1909/27/2013

Also, don't be alarmed if you notice people staring at you or being somewhat distant.

I've found that most Koreans assume that all non-Koreans are American, which does not always work in your favour. (In Korea or elsewhere for that matter)

by Anonymousreply 2009/27/2013

"If you eat meat, theres no better place to have Korean BBQ. Theres a big food court at the mall at Seoul Station (above ground) that has 19 restaurants, all specializing in one particular dish."

Sorry, EACH specializing in one particular dish. One restaurant station (#10) specializes and serves only cold noodles (Yum). Another will only serve "bibimbap".

by Anonymousreply 2109/27/2013

Has anyone ever travelled to the demilitarized zone where South and North Korea meet?

by Anonymousreply 2209/29/2013

Yeah, they're dicks. I'd use it as a stop over while visiting clean and tidy Tokyo.

by Anonymousreply 2309/29/2013

I have to share something about Korean men. The asses. Not only the Best of Asia (not saying much see: Japan, ugh,) but possibly the best evah. Firm, muscular, yet very cushy. Must be all that hill-climbing. And the hole .. my goodness, fresh as a daisy. Sliding in, smooth as silk, and deep! Obviously the cabbage.

They're ready for or it 24/7 and never want to stop. So rewarding with the ahhh's, same in every language.

Oh, the front's okay, and many are cute too. Really like the kissing, before and after.

by Anonymousreply 2409/30/2013

[quote]Has anyone ever travelled to the demilitarized zone where South and North Korea meet?

I went when I was stationed there (back in 2006). We were highly encouraged to go and had to wear our service dress in order to do so.

It's probably the most interesting thing you can do in Korea, truth be told. There are tunnels you can tour (where South Koreans have caught North Koreans trying to dig their way under the DMZ)...and a room you can go in that is guarded by South Koreans on one side and North Koreans on the other. Hyundai sponsored the building of sleek reunification building, where North and South Korean relatives were supposed to be able to re-connect, but it's never even been used.

A few of the things that stood out for me during the trip:

There's a huge ass flag flying right across the DMZ in Pyongyang. It's about the only bit of color you notice in North Korea.

The North Koreans are absolute assholes. I don't know if it's because my group consisted of servicemembers, but when we were in a room on the DMZ, looking out into North Korea, you could see them pointing at us and laughing. We were discouraged from engaging them, but I remember wanting to flip them off or something (note: A few of the guys on my trip were prohibited from going on the tour because they had been drinking on the bus. You CANNOT be drunk up there lest you start an international incident).

It's very tense up there. Nothing has happened since the 70s, when a couple of American soldiers who were cutting down a tree were confronted by North Korean soldiers (and hacked up with their ax/shot to death). Still, it's creepy.

Going to the top of the Namsan Tower is must...nearby is a pathetic recreation of the Pont de l'Archevêché in Paris (Lover's Bridge)...where couples place a lock with their initials on fences lining the bridge.

by Anonymousreply 2509/30/2013

Korean guys are hot.

by Anonymousreply 2609/30/2013

And R26 is right:

I wasn't really into Asian guys before I got to Korea, but there are so many hot guys in Seoul. They seem pretty tall for Asians and may of them are well-built.

by Anonymousreply 2709/30/2013

I'm Japanese and love Korea for eating and shopping! Yes Korean boys are hotter than ours!

by Anonymousreply 2809/30/2013

no thanks, they eat dog. fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 2909/30/2013

Belgium is a very pleasant country, R15. Brussels has a standard of living that puts Paris to shame.

And before you gush about Paris:I've lived there 10 years, and it is exhausting. Not to mention expensive.

Americans can afford to live there though, and lots do. Mostly from the Southern states, like it was Gone With the Wind all over again.

by Anonymousreply 3009/30/2013

Not all eat dogs

by Anonymousreply 3109/30/2013

Kim chee. Yuck

by Anonymousreply 3209/30/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 3310/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.