Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's your favorite gay portrayal or reference on classic television?

By "classic", I mean 50s-80s TV, when gayness was still "on the downlow" on TV. Not "Will and Grace" or a Roseanne episode where someone comes out of the closet. I'm looking for subtle or implied, unspoken references from the old days when it had to be hinted at or implied. Uncle Arthur on Bewitched is a good example, but do you have any more hidden gems to bring to our attention?

This doesn't have to be a character, either, it could just be a really clever line uttered or other memorable reference.

by Anonymousreply 1709/27/2013

I'll start off with one of my favorites: I love the costume designer for the Tennessee Williams-like character on the Dick Van Dyke Show episode [italic]Baby Fat [/italic]. "Bow wow!"

by Anonymousreply 109/26/2013

Sidney Shorr, played by Tony Randall in [italic]Love, Sidney[/italic]

When the series was announced, NBC received complaints from special-interest groups upset about a positive portrayal of homosexuality, and so originally, nothing in the series referred to its lead character's sexuality except oblique, coded hints.

by Anonymousreply 209/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 309/27/2013

Elizabeth Montgomery confirmed that she and the writers did think of Uncle Arthur as the gay uncle. Elizabeth also said the parallel between Samantha's family having to keep their witchcraft a secret, and gays having to live secretly, was openly discussed among she and the writers. Paul Lynde adored Elizabeth but had a rivalry with the Serena character, forgetting they were the same person.

by Anonymousreply 409/27/2013

The "Yessss?" guy from 'The Jack Benny' program was a pioneering queer.

by Anonymousreply 509/27/2013

R5 Would that be Frank Nelson? The guy who was on I Love Lucy? Was he really queer? Openly?

by Anonymousreply 609/27/2013

Yaga zuzi, yaga zuzi, yaga zuzi ziiiiiiim

by Anonymousreply 709/27/2013

Frank Nelson was married twice, to women. Not that it means anything, of course ...

by Anonymousreply 809/27/2013

Endora once made joke about Alice B. Toklas in reference to some brownies Mrs. Stephens had made.

by Anonymousreply 909/27/2013

Mr. Belvedere.

by Anonymousreply 1009/27/2013

Why just TV?

Can't it be movies too? t V 's too limiting.

Go start a broader thread, op, be a dear!

by Anonymousreply 1109/27/2013

Mr. French and Unca Bee-ah.

by Anonymousreply 1209/27/2013

Felix Unger on "The Odd Couple".

by Anonymousreply 1309/27/2013

Dr. Smith on, 'Lost In Space'

by Anonymousreply 1409/27/2013

Marty Crane's two "doilies," Frasier and Niles.

by Anonymousreply 1509/27/2013

Johnny Quest's dads had me convinced gay marriage was a reality when I was but a tot in the late '60s.

by Anonymousreply 1609/27/2013

"He & She"

Jack Cassidy's character was gay.

It's on YouTube here and there.

by Anonymousreply 1709/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!