Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Ethnic" Food

Inspired by the ongoing curry-hating thread.

Do you like trying new ethnic cuisines? What is your favorite? Which country's cuisine do you find unappetizing?

I love Mexican food, and most Asian cuisines (Japanese/Vietnamese/Thai/etc.) but I have friends who won't try it because they think it's "weird."

by Anonymousreply 2209/26/2013

The needs a poll.

Otherrwise it's too dull to read.

by Anonymousreply 309/26/2013

Are you serious? Do people really quantify Indian food as "ethnic?" Even Mexican food is considered to be such? Wow. I must live in a different world and era.

by Anonymousreply 609/26/2013

I like Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Mexican, Indian, etc. However, I'm still not that adventurous - I usually end up sticking with what I like, which tends to be the most stereotypical dish at each place:

Italian - Chicken Parm Chinese - Chicken w/ Broccoli Japanese - Spicy Tuna or Shrimp Tempura Roll Thai - Pad Thai or Fried Rice Vietnamese - Beef Pho Mexican - Fajitas or Enchiladas Indian - Chicken Tikka Masala

by Anonymousreply 709/26/2013

You do know, r7, that none of the foods you listed are native to those cuisines.

by Anonymousreply 909/26/2013

But R9, they are yummy! And I do know that Pho is authentic, so at least one is!

by Anonymousreply 1009/26/2013

R6, I think it's fair to still call Indian food 'ethnic' in the United States. I think a good test is whether Americans incorporate elements of that cuisine in an ordinary diet, so Indian remains ethnic in the way that Italian and Mexican food do not.

When we've bastardized Indian cuisine enough for the masses in another ten to twenty years -- Curry Hot Pockets -- then I think it won't be considered ethnic.

by Anonymousreply 1109/26/2013

I tried Ethiopian and Kenyan, nothing really weird. Some are great, but not really among the best food I've had.

Vietnamese cuisine is pretty nice, if you go to the right places. At first I thought all they had was "pho"...Apparently I was very wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1209/26/2013

Thai is my choice at the moment. The flavors and fragrances are just too irresistible. It has, hands down, the freshest taste of any cuisine available.

by Anonymousreply 1309/26/2013

Those long Turkish meat things are pretty good. It's like a pizza. A lot of their other stuff is really good too. I had Turkish meat thing in Istanbul.

by Anonymousreply 1409/26/2013

I like most ethnic food. Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, Italian, Mexican, some of the mideastern counties, Jewish deli, Sushi.

Indian is ok.

The only ones I didn't care for was an African restaurant (not sure what country) but that was because it was so spicy hot that I couldn't eat it.

Cajun is hit or miss. Some are good.

by Anonymousreply 1509/26/2013

Hate to admit it but I never even ate Chinese food until senior year in high school. Only had Mexican food once I moved to the SW USA.

by Anonymousreply 1609/26/2013

India, like the US or Italy, has so many regional variations that it's a shame to categorize it as a single cuisine. Facile label aside, it stands as my favorite "ethnic" food.

Most overrated/disgusting? Ethiopian, Thai, Polish. Save me from that Ethiopian spongebread. It's the grossest thing on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 1709/26/2013

I love Taco Bell.

by Anonymousreply 1809/26/2013

My BF is of Polish / Ukrainian backround and I LOVE homemade pirogis, chicken paprikas ( no, it's NOT just Hungarian!) stuffed cabbages, fresh kielbasa, bigos stew etc.

My backround is mostly Scottish by way of Appalachia. Not much excitement there. LOTS of fried foods---that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 1909/26/2013

Georgian food is amazing. My favorite kind of food to eat when I was living in Russia. Khachapuri and lobio were my favorites. Khachapuri is similar to a puff pastry that is rolled out like pizza and stuffed with cheese. I would get vegetarian lobio which was kidney beans with cilantro, onion, pomegranate seeds, garlic and I'm not sure what else. Delicious.

I love interior Mexican food. Black Oaxacan mole is divine. Squash blossom quesadillas with corn torillas and guajillo sauce would be my last meal request.

I love North Indian food (aka the creamy, unhealthy stuff) and Vietnamese such as black pepper fish.

by Anonymousreply 2009/26/2013

Stop being so smug R6.

by Anonymousreply 2109/26/2013

Generally speaking I like most non-American foods, with two exceptions - Korean barbecue (too many things on the plate I didn't recognize), and Croation food. I'm sure it's great eats for Croatians, but burek just left me cold.

by Anonymousreply 2209/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.