Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Were any of you a part of this radical group or did you participate in any of their demonstrations?

I know that Larry Kramer has a rather prickly, unpopular image, but this group seems to have made the biggest strides of all to bring AIDS awareness. Very scary times, I can't even imagine. I'm interested in personal stories of people being involved with ACT UP.

by Anonymousreply 6901/24/2015

ACT UP always hurt us more than they helped us, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 209/26/2013

Did Sam and Judy Peabody join in?

by Anonymousreply 1509/26/2013

r33, that very same day, I was a young gay man working in an AIDS lab at UCSF. I probably took blood from half a dozen HIV+ study volunteers that day, counted their CD4+ T-cells, reported the depressing results to them, then proceeded with my experiments on their WBC's.

I remember lots of whiny, hipster, white, rich kids from the 'burbs as comprising Act Up!. They looked ever so fashionably Goth in their black Silence = Death T-shirts. Their urgent, loud voices were needed, but what did they do for those of us actually working to find solutions to an historic crisis and for those who suffered from it? Narcissism ruled the day -- as it often does.

I did my share of radical protesting in my youth, but that day, when Act Up! closed the GG Bridge, made me see how some forms of activism can set us back. It also highlighted how self-centered certain so-called "activists" can be.

by Anonymousreply 3509/26/2013

Ask yourself who put forth the idea that it hurt us. Some of you are just being suckers and buying into it.

by Anonymousreply 3809/26/2013

ACT UP didn't do much except act as a useful way for gay men and their allies to loudly vent their frustrations during the worst years of the AIDS crisis. It was a way to act obnoxious and aggressive and tell yourself you were actually doing something significant when you really weren't. And it was so localized in the gay ghettos of NYC, SF and LA that it really couldn't do much to change hearts and minds in the rest of the country (where changing people's homophobic attitudes really mattered at the time). It was just a politicized venue for lots of posing and performing--I know because I belonged to an ACT UP chapter in the greater NYC area in 1990-1992. (Not one of my prouder political affiliations.)

GMHC did a lot, however, in terms of raising public awareness of the AIDS crisis and helping afflicted men get the benefits they would otherwise have missed; and I will always be grateful to Larry Kramer for starting that.

by Anonymousreply 4309/26/2013

Well I was part of SETTLE DOWN and I don't seem to have received my rights any later than those instigators that harassed churches and snarled traffic for all those poor straight Reagan voters.

by Anonymousreply 5009/26/2013

I know it makes you guys feel better to think they did, but ACT UP didn't do a thing except whine.

by Anonymousreply 5209/27/2013

Remember when they were making "Basic Instinct" in SF? Some lesbian members of ACT UP were furiouis the movie was depicting a lesbian serial killer, saying there was no such thing and, besides, it made us look bad. They then decided it would be a good idea to blow whistles when the cameras were rolling to disrupt filming. Eventually, the film was released and ACT UP members drove around to the the theaters (there were lines to see it) and yelled out "Catherine Did It!" or else stenciled it on the sidewalks outside the theaters, giving away the ending.

Of course, during this time Aileen Wuornos, a lesbian serial killer, was gunning down men in Florida one after another.

by Anonymousreply 5309/27/2013

Yeah all those protests of Basic Instinct and Silence of the Lambs were embarrassing for us. And they accomplished nothing except to portray the gay community as a bunch of whiners.

by Anonymousreply 5409/27/2013

R52 - R54 REAL talk

by Anonymousreply 5609/27/2013

R53, further proof lesbians are completely unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 5709/27/2013

I went to a Queer Nation meeting and all they did was argue about who would be in charge. They did a good kiss-in at a suburban mall though. I was sorry I couldn't go.

by Anonymousreply 6409/28/2013

Yes, while it seems that Larry Kramer had a very noble agenda, the truth is . . and it is the truth . . . that he alienated more people who would have helped, who could have helped, at the time. Don't make the man into a saint. He was anything but.

by Anonymousreply 6509/28/2013

Peter Staley AIDS and gay rights activist; Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds

by Anonymousreply 6601/23/2015

Where are the Act Responsibility protests, etc, happening today by members of the gay community? HIV/AIDS is in the rise due to young guys doing meth and especially from BB sex. But silence from the so called activists. No call for personal responsibility. Why? Just take your meds if you get HIV. No big deal. Or, pop a Truvada. It fool proof!

Gay men are once again proving how selfish and irresponsible they truly are.

ACT UP accomplished very little, if based on the behavior of today's gay men.

by Anonymousreply 6701/24/2015

ACT UP was one of the most important Gay organizations ever. Yes, its tactics were in-your-face, but that's what was needed. We were no longer passive AIDS victims, but strong, active fighters for our rights.

Without ACT UP, we'd still be waiting for protease inhibitors.

They were not whiners, they were doers; they were actors (get it)?

Every movement needs radicals to get people's attention and quiet connected people to seal the deal.

What do think the Ferguson demonstrations were about? They got people's attention and started a movement.

Don't ever dare criticize ACT UP until you find out what they accomplished.

We could use a new ACT UP now to fight back against the highly dangerous "religious rights" defense for anti-GL bias. Combine that with court action and we win.

by Anonymousreply 6801/24/2015

Actually no R68. If the religious argument were accepted, we would win because we have a right to relgion too.

by Anonymousreply 6901/24/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!