Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

He hates curry

The right wing, republican, catholic ass hat in my office has decided that I shouldn't be allowed to have curry for lunch because he can't stand the smell. Fuck him. It took me months to finally find good Indian food in this neighborhood and I'm not going to stop eating it because it offends his sensitive snout.

Do you think I should stop eating my favorite food because some idiot doesn't like it? I closed my office door and opened the window but Mr. Prisspot is still put off by the smell. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 13110/11/2013

I'm emailing a complaint to your manager and to HR, OP. You are in so much trouble you cannot even believe it.

by Anonymousreply 109/26/2013

Are you microwaving it? Few things stink up a room, or a microwave oven, like microwaved curry. Asshat and republicunt though your co-worker may be, I concur with him on the stink of curry. Why can't you eat it in the Indian restaurant?

I like eating it, btw, but only while I'm eating it.

by Anonymousreply 209/26/2013

Phoebe... Phoebe... and why not?

by Anonymousreply 309/26/2013

Curry has a very pungent smell. Your co-worker may be an asshole, but that doesn't mean you have to be inconsiderate to others (not just him).

by Anonymousreply 409/26/2013

What do you mean by, "has decided that I shouldn't be allowed to have curry for lunch because he can't stand the smell." ?

He's complained about your lunch to HR? He's your superior and has actually forbidden you from eating curry?

How can someone stop you from eating anything?

by Anonymousreply 509/26/2013

Don't bring stinky food into the office. Eat your curry elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 609/26/2013

Curry does smell like shit. It's the worst smell in the world next to shit itself. Most people hate the smell of it and people who smell from eating in. Imagine if that Catholic asshole eat 5 cloves of garlic, ten onions and drank 10 beers wouldn't you complains as well?

by Anonymousreply 709/26/2013

He's reporting you to Homeland Security right now. Expect a brain addled Claire Danish and that guy who quits every show he's been on (Amanda Polemic) by 5pm sharp - or maybe sometime next weekish.

by Anonymousreply 809/26/2013

R11 - Make sure the Korean is nearby.

by Anonymousreply 1409/26/2013

Eat something else at work, then.

This is one of those "my farts smell good to me" issues. Nobody else's curry smells good. It's a fact of life. Unless you're buying for the entire office, leave curry at home (or in your case, on the food truck).

by Anonymousreply 1609/26/2013

Oh, and don't forget that you sweat curry out of your pores the next day. I once sat next to this Pakistani guy, and the smell was so strong, I moved to another part of the office.

Can they move you to a separate area so you won't enstinkerate this guy (and probably the rest of the office)?

by Anonymousreply 1909/26/2013

A guy in our office thought he was doing a very nice thing by bringing Indian food for lunch (very sweet gesture). I was nauseous the rest of the day and my stomach was wonky for the day after. It smelled worse than anything I have ever smelt in my life...and I generally have a cast iron stomach.

by Anonymousreply 2009/26/2013

Or R18, he can quit being a cubefrau and earn an office of his own. Don't mind me, I'm just a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2309/26/2013

[quote]There's old stories of complaints about corned beef 'n cabbage

I'm third-generation Irish, and I carry the hatred of the smell of cooked cabbage into the new era. It's one of the few things I can think of that smell worse than curry.

by Anonymousreply 2409/26/2013

Be courteous and do not bring smelly food into an office. One of my co-workers used to bring in left over tuna casserole and heat it in the micro. Ughh even my clothes smelled of it.

by Anonymousreply 3009/26/2013

FFS OP, don't have curry for lunch! You will stink! I love curry, I make it often as possible, but if you can't eat it outside then please don't. Same with the Asian-fish stinky shit too.

by Anonymousreply 3109/26/2013

People are getting too sensitive when it comes to lunch smells. I worked in a hospital with Asian, Caribbean, African, Mexican, Polish, Russian, Indian, Pakistani , Middle Eastern, Greek, Albanian, Turkish, Afghan, Moroccan and South American people. You were not allowed to complain about food smells.

Filipino fish was the worst smell of all, some Caribbean corned beef and hash was awful, curry bothered some people and microwave popcorn nauseated others. Too bad. You could roll your eyes but you couldn't ban anyone else's food or complain about it to higher ups.

We all pretty much agreed that plain pizza, bagels and cream cheese were the least offensive food when it came to any kind of party. It didn't upset the vegetarians (Hindus) or the kosher people or the Muslims. Vegans could use some kind of jam or honey spread for their bagels.

by Anonymousreply 3209/26/2013

What are you going to do if he decides to take legal action to prevent you from having it because it offends him?

by Anonymousreply 3309/26/2013

Has that ever happened, R33, anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 3409/26/2013

Haha, thread didn't go the way OP planned.

by Anonymousreply 3509/26/2013

This whole "eating at your desk" culture is an abomination.

Why are you eating from a truck? Go to a restaraunt and have a decent meal like a civilzed person.

by Anonymousreply 3909/26/2013

Curry DOES STINK & SMELL. Further, lunch is not for curry, that is DINNER. Same with the Asian food. We all love it, but you have to be mindful of smells in an office!

by Anonymousreply 4009/26/2013

R40: Is breakfast for dinner?

by Anonymousreply 4309/26/2013

Actually, OP, I hate to agree with him, but he's right. We have some assholes at the office who get chili hot dogs with onions, and eat them in the break room and it stinks up the whole office. So it's smelly foods in general.

I think people ought to be aware of that. When you bring food into the work place, whether it's curry, or fish, or chili dogs or whatever, it smells up the whole office.

Hopefully, you don't eat curry every damned day, so maybe when you do, you can find a place, off premises to eat your lunch. Does the Indian restaurant have a place to sit & eat?

by Anonymousreply 4409/26/2013

Have none of you smelled a freshly opened egg salad sandwich? That is the thing that always got comments in my workplace. Then, every day some asshat had to burn their popcorn in the micro which stunk up the ENTIRE building.

by Anonymousreply 4509/26/2013

Curry gives you rancid B.O.

by Anonymousreply 4609/26/2013

My egg salad sandwich was criticized as smelling like baby poop on a fight to Canada.

by Anonymousreply 4809/26/2013

Smells are one of the most primal of triggers in the brain. They're directly linked to emotions. It's very difficult to reason with a reaction to a smell.

by Anonymousreply 4909/26/2013

A pregnant employee requested we not crack open hardboiled eggs in the office because the smell would make her throw up.

by Anonymousreply 5009/26/2013

R50: Gay men have been saying the same thing about vagina for hundreds of years. It does no good.

by Anonymousreply 5209/26/2013

I used to live on the same floor as this Indian couple. The whole floor REEKED of curry. You could smell it in the elevator and when the elevator door opened to our floor it smelled like an Indian restaurant. It was nauseating. I moved to another building after a month

Curry is disgusting

by Anonymousreply 5609/26/2013

Curry smell and taste is vile. Makes me heave. Gross stuff.

by Anonymousreply 5709/26/2013

We had a Chinese doctor who would bring food into the dog house (tiny room where residents hung out) at the back of our unit. My friend, a Filipina nurse, was pregnant and used to throw up every single evening when the dr came in with his food. It was the combination of smells. I don't even know what he was eating -- it looked like deep fried chicken feet and god knows what else. And he was a real joker. "Hey Elly look, I'm eating eyeballs!" he would say to her as he popped lychees into his mouth.

But my friend never complained to anyone about the food smell. She figured wtf I'm pregnant, this is one thing I have to deal with. I can't tell someone he can't eat fried chicken feet or whatever that shit is.

It was like having an annoying little brother.

by Anonymousreply 5809/26/2013

R59's response is the reason I get kicked out of gay bars.

by Anonymousreply 6009/26/2013

r55 is right. MARRY ME r55 !

by Anonymousreply 6109/26/2013

[quote]R38: Stick to that ham-and-cheese and mayo sandwich, girls.

Because when you're as simple-minded as R38, the world is just that black-and-white: smelly curry and ham w/mayo.

It so happens, braintrust, that I like curry [italic]while I am making it or while I am eating it[/italic]. But that does not mean it doesn't stink outside of those parameters. I would never impose it on anyone with whom I share space.

And I wouldn't eat mayo on a sandwich with your mouth. Seriously, mayo? Gross.

But there is a world of food between the two.

by Anonymousreply 6209/26/2013

R61, what do you like to eat?

by Anonymousreply 6309/26/2013

[quote]Why are you eating from a truck? Go to a restaraunt and have a decent meal like a civilzed person.

Exactly. I call bullshit. OP says it took him months to find good Indian food in the "neighborhood" where he works. Who the hell calls NYC's financial district a "neighborhood?" And why would you have to search high and low in NYC for good curry, but only to be able to find it ON A FUCKING TRUCK? There are probably hundreds of Indian places that will deliver right to your cube.

LOL! You queens are such easy prey for the race baiting trolls.

by Anonymousreply 6609/26/2013

r63 - everything from falafels, curry, asian food, tuna, kosher pickles, homemade ice cream, homemade everything, whole foods, peaches, apples, peanut butter and jelly (homemade peanut butter of course), most most of the smelly stuff I would never take to an office and stink out the place, and that includes popcorn in an office.

by Anonymousreply 6709/26/2013

[quote]I call bullshit.

Does bullshit return your calls if he's not home? Or has he gone "text only"?

by Anonymousreply 7009/26/2013

Don't you hate that "I call __________" shit all of a sudden, R72?

by Anonymousreply 7509/26/2013

R70: I hate myself for loving you. I mean, honestly, the Pope must douche it out at least once each year.

by Anonymousreply 7809/26/2013

R79: (At least for me) wealth has some decent benefits. I don't have to smell curry.

by Anonymousreply 8009/26/2013

It's fine if everyone's eating it, R81.

by Anonymousreply 8209/26/2013

Now and then I'd do something in my cube that would make my own self sick: think I could throw a banana peel in my garbage can early and leave it in there all day.

by Anonymousreply 8409/26/2013

I wish my cleaning lady would stop sweating. I don't know what she eats. I have no idea what she does, and, actually, I don't know if my nose works anymore. However, I'm going to have to hire someone to chase her with a dehumidifier. (Do I pay her enough to eat?)

by Anonymousreply 8509/26/2013

I always hated Curry in the office.

by Anonymousreply 8609/26/2013

Sorry, OP, I love curry, but it is a food that should not be consumed in any office environment. I realise this guy is an irritant to you, but in this case, you are in the wrong.

by Anonymousreply 8709/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 8809/26/2013

R86: I've been biting my evil forked tongue waiting for someone to bring this up.

by Anonymousreply 8909/26/2013

Someone in the office, who was a female bodybuilder in her private life, used to microwave tons of plain tilapia at lunch. Fishy odors would last for an hour.

by Anonymousreply 9009/26/2013

A family member worked in a govt job that required her to be at a checkpoint booth a couple weekends a year and check vehicles for passes as extra help for another department. According to her, nothing smelled worse than foreign tourists from India because of the curry. It permeated their clothes, bodies, vehicles, etc. Even their rental vehicles. It literally made her feel sick.

by Anonymousreply 9209/26/2013

I'm going out for curry now. Thai restaurant. We'll eat it there, and leave the smell behind when we leave.

Love the stuff. Not gonna inflict it on any innocent non-participants.

by Anonymousreply 9309/26/2013

I love curry, but I'm with "the right wing, republican, catholic ass hat in my office".

Out of courtesy to coworkers, it's best to avoid smelly foods. Curry, popcorn, McDonald's, microwaved moo goo gai pan, kim chi, fish and chips, and hillbilly squirrel stew all smell delicious, no doubt, to the people who sought those things out for lunch. They might not appeal to the taste or mood of others forced to share the same space, however.

A workplace shouldn't stink like a mall food court.

by Anonymousreply 9409/26/2013

R94: Clearly a self-loathing powerbottom. It's OK, this is a safe space.

by Anonymousreply 9509/26/2013

This thread has everything but the cubefraus. OP, where do they stand on curry-gate. Are they kicking up a fuss because your lunch stank aggravates their fibromyalgia or are they scrounging for your leftovers?

by Anonymousreply 9609/26/2013

R96: Obvious answer... YES.

by Anonymousreply 9709/26/2013

Can we eat Himalayans R98? They preserve well in freezers.

by Anonymousreply 10009/26/2013

EWWWW! You get curry from a truck? No wonder he's complaining.

by Anonymousreply 10109/26/2013

What r42 said.

by Anonymousreply 10209/26/2013

I'm having Thai Penang curry as I read this thread. It's delicious. But I'm not eating it in an enclosed office.

by Anonymousreply 10309/26/2013

You wanna smell something rank, try fish sauce. I bought it for a recipe once and couldn't even keep it in the house after I opened the bottle. It makes Cheryl's pussy fumes smell like lilacs.

by Anonymousreply 10409/26/2013

It does smell like poor, hot, and dirty.

by Anonymousreply 10509/26/2013

I condole you.

by Anonymousreply 10609/26/2013

If curry smells that bad going in, I wonder what it smells like when it's coming out?

by Anonymousreply 10709/26/2013

Who eats at the office when you work in NYC? I always went out for lunch--is everyone underpaid there now, in addition to be inconsiderate of their coworkers?

by Anonymousreply 10809/26/2013

I would love if my boss ate curry. Unfortunately she eats sardines every day and the smell could knock out a Sarah Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 10909/26/2013

being R108 Self "Oh Deared"

by Anonymousreply 11009/26/2013

I hate popcorn, and the smell of it, especially burnt.

But the absolute worst was when people microwaved "cheese" popcorn. The whole side of my floor reeked of the smell of dirty, sweaty feet.

I'd take the scent of spicy Asian food over that any day.

by Anonymousreply 11109/26/2013

Ginny says that curry booms after lunch are quite fragrant.

by Anonymousreply 11209/26/2013

OP just wants us to know he works in the financial district and has his own office. Well bully for you. Eat your smelly food at home and find some real problems.

On a side note, I had a coworker heat fish in the microwave once. The CTO went ballistic (normally a quiet guy). It was actually pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 11309/26/2013

I Hate The Smell Of Curry & Op Too

by Anonymousreply 11409/27/2013

I think he hates Indians, and the curry smell reminds him of Indians.

by Anonymousreply 11509/27/2013

Everyone stinks, but our own stinks are sweet. You have the right to smell of anything you like, and if that stink makes me throw up on you, I'll be sorry. You will still stink, and be covered in vomit. What have we come to? Someone working from a "private office in the NYC financial district" with a window and a door can't get a table at a restaurant during lunch hour, so pretends that he'd really rather just grab something from a food cart and eat it at his desk. Meanwhile, he posts about his lunch habits on DataLounge and torments his officemates with his stinks. Between important meetings, he posts pictures of his empty take-away containers.

by Anonymousreply 11609/27/2013

wtf at people calling this issue racism.

People shouldn't bring smelly foods to the office- be they of Asian, some other foreign region or US origin. If someone was bring garlic infused foods-- or some other less exotic food that was smelly--- i would say the same thing.

And just because someone doesn't like curry-- doesn't men they have a white-bread palette.

by Anonymousreply 11709/27/2013

It's pretty rude to eat strong-smelling food in a small office. Have curry for dinner and have a sandwich for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 11809/27/2013

He might be a jerk but in this case he's right. No one wants to smell your stinky food at the office. Other people in your office probably feel the same way but just haven't said anything.

by Anonymousreply 11909/27/2013

What are you having for lunch today, OP?

by Anonymousreply 12009/27/2013

Probably a salad, R120. By the way I stopped by his office on my way out last night and told him I was taking the offending receptacle out with me and he laughed and said that he didn't even smell it this week, although he did smell last week's lamb curry. So, I guess I'll be having the chicken tika masala when he's around and leave the lamb curry for when he is out of the office.

by Anonymousreply 12109/27/2013

Today HE got a smelly greek salad with feta and briny olives. I can smell it in my office but I didn't say a word

by Anonymousreply 12209/27/2013

R121, what is "the offending receptacle"? Do you keep a collection of old "to go" containers in your office?

by Anonymousreply 12309/27/2013

LOL no collection - just the one to-go container.

by Anonymousreply 12409/27/2013

Why didn't you throw it out right after you used it?

by Anonymousreply 12509/27/2013

I resemble your coworker as much as a bunny resembles a snake, but it's true that strong-smelling foods are culturally inappropriate in most American work settings. In research facilities I abided Chinese rotten fish for breakfast and every kind of Indian, Russian, African and Southeast Asian stink for years by avoiding the lunch area, but some smells travel.

But the worst came when I moved to museum work and the American twats insisted on burning popcorn all day, starting at 8 and ending with the last charred bag at 6. One evening I applied Limburger cheese and fish paste to the inside vents of the microwave as far as I could smear them, and dropped a wetted-down bag of kangaroo jerky (honest) in the middle of the tray, set it on high for 60 minutes, and left.

Amazingly two days later an official moratorium on any fulsome foods, including burned popcorn, was put into place. It turned out two cunts "liked it burnt" and were doing all the damage.

by Anonymousreply 12609/27/2013

I used to skip school whenever egg salad sandwiches were on the menu back in elementary school. The smell would make me really sick. I'd fake illness and stay home.

Tuna salad sandwiches were not as bad, but once I remember when I was in a younger grade, a 5th grade boy (who thought he was really tough most of the time) came running out of the cafeteria while my class was lined up waiting to go in. This kid had tuna sandwich stuff flying out of his mouth and he was in a panic...he was puking his guts out and ran into the bathroom across the hall. Tuna puke was everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 12709/27/2013

Egg salad and hard-boiled eggs both smell like farts. Why would you want to impose that smell on other people?

by Anonymousreply 12809/27/2013

In high school a little twat used to comment on my lunches - not their smell, just that they weren't cool and full of pre-packaged swill. (My family is an Ozark/German mix, and what I took for lunch was quite mild compared to what found its way to the dinner table.)

I got sick of it, so one day I offered her half of my lovely, simple-looking roast beef sandwich. After she devoured it and told me how good it was, I advised her it actually was tongue.

She heaved it up with a scream and ran out of the cafeteria.

Waste of good meat.

by Anonymousreply 12909/27/2013

Fuck his curry-hating soul. I just found out that he's a Tigers fan. Fuck him right up his teeny tiny arse.

(He's actually kind of sweet and very cute, for a rethug)

by Anonymousreply 13010/11/2013

Op, is not heating his curry in a microwave, and he has his own office and closes the door. He has every right to eat whatever the fuck he wants to. Curry is delicious and the smell is just as good. Microwave popcorn is the most disgusting smell of all.

by Anonymousreply 13110/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!