Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Head of Barilla pasta company: Gays can eat someone else’s pasta

Guido Barilla, president of the family-owned Barilla pasta company, said in a radio interview on Wednesday that his company only supports “the traditional family” and that LGBT people “can go eat someone else’s pasta.” According to John Aravosis at Americablog, Barilla has since backtracked on his remarks somewhat, but many LGBT people around the world are reacting angrily to the slam by the head of the massive, global brand.

“We won’t include gays in our ads, because we like the traditional family,” Barilla told an interviewer. “If gays don’t like it, they can always eat another brand of pasta. Everyone is free to do what they want, provided it doesn’t bother anyone else.”

Barilla said today that he meant no ill will toward LGBT people with his remarks, saying in a statement, “With reference to statements made yesterday, I apologize if my words have generated controversy or misunderstanding, or if they have hurt the sensibilities of some people. In the interview I simply wanted to highlight the central role of the woman in the family.”

He also said that he has “the utmost respect for any person, without distinction of any kind,” and “the greatest respect for gays and for the freedom of expression of anyone.”

Reuters reported that rights groups are calling for a boycott of Barilla’s pastas, sauces and other foods.

Aurelio Mancuso of Equality Italia called Barilla’s remarks an “offensive provocation” and added that “(w)e accept the invitation from the Barilla owner to not eat his pasta.”

Gay Italian minister of parliament Alessandro Zan tweeted, “You can’t mess around with consumers, including gay ones.”

by Anonymousreply 26011/27/2013

Gosh, if only there were other companies that offered pasta for sale.

Oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 509/26/2013

Did we need a second thread?

by Anonymousreply 809/26/2013

I hear a drop in my portfolio!

by Anonymousreply 909/26/2013

I agree with R10. While you should definitely boycott, be loud about it, let them know that you will indeed be buying other pasta and encouraging everyone else to do the same.

Their brand manager is Prita Wadhwani, Brand Manager, Public Relations.

Her email is

Let your voice be heard.

by Anonymousreply 1109/26/2013

Oh shit, I love Barilla's pasta sauces! Does this mean I can't buy them anymore as a gay man?

by Anonymousreply 1209/26/2013

I just sent an email, stating that I was taking Mr. Barilla's advice and could she recommend another brand of pasta.

by Anonymousreply 1309/26/2013

Just shoplift the shit!!! It is good pasta, but there are others that are equal if not better, if you wanna legitimately purchase it.

by Anonymousreply 1409/26/2013

R12, you sound like a gay Chik-fil-A fan.

by Anonymousreply 1509/26/2013

Me too, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1609/26/2013

R14, switch to DiCecco. It actually [italic]is[/italic] good pasta.

by Anonymousreply 1709/26/2013

Spoken like a true Guido.

by Anonymousreply 1809/26/2013

Barilla Sweet Pepper pasta sauce was the only one that didn't have added sugar and it was very good. They have stopped making it and now all of their sauces contain sugar.

I also really like their whole wheat thin spaghetti. I won't be buying it anymore, though.

I will be emailing Prita.

by Anonymousreply 1909/26/2013

Mr. Barilla is very sincere in his apology. I know this for a fact because I wrote it.

Prita Wadhwani, Brand Manager, Public Relations, in damage control mode.

by Anonymousreply 2109/26/2013

It isn't necessarily about hurting their bottom line (though that would be the best), it is about letting them know those sentiments are not okay.

If someone had said they would never try to include minorities in their advertisements and that "blacks can eat someone else's pasta" could you imagine the outrage? Why is it okay against us?

by Anonymousreply 2209/26/2013

Time for another boycott boys.

There are other brands.

Stop supporting this asshole and his company. Stop buying any Barilla pasta or sauces.

And ask your supportive friends and family to do the same.

Make sure shit like this has a bottom-line cost to the companies that pull it!

by Anonymousreply 2309/26/2013

[quote]Oh shit, I love Barilla's pasta sauces! Does this mean I can't buy them anymore as a gay man?

Buying jarred sauces means you're trailer trash.

BTW, as others have said, De Cecco does make an excellent pasta.

by Anonymousreply 2409/26/2013

Ditto everything R19 said.

I don't care how much I have liked or used their products in the past. I will not use them again.

by Anonymousreply 2509/26/2013

What R22 said.

by Anonymousreply 2609/26/2013

I will never purchase this Barilla pasta shit ever again.

by Anonymousreply 2909/26/2013

[quote]2 boxes in the trash.

Well, that was stupid (not to mention wasteful). You'd already bought them.

by Anonymousreply 3009/26/2013

Thanks for your input, Tokyo Rose at R28. We'll just continue to do all the things people love to tell us won't make a difference, and you can come back in the future and tell us all the success it brings us isn't important. Boy, will our faces be red then!

by Anonymousreply 3109/26/2013

It's not just about short term sales, you nitwits. It's about brand reputation.

Every company wants to be seen as a good corporate citizen. Something like this will damage their brand in the long run and will ultimately hurt sales.

The gay haters who rush to buy Barilla products (if that even happens in great numbers, which I doubt) will soon forget about it and go on to something else.

Ahik-Fil-A didn't suffer sales because Americans are fat greedy pigs who love fast food. But their brand is damages, make no mistake.

by Anonymousreply 3209/26/2013

Jeez...... how many hate lists are we on? I sure will miss their CELENTANI though. Colavita is a good brand.

by Anonymousreply 3309/26/2013

Kiss me, Guido!

by Anonymousreply 3409/26/2013

I have up Florida orange juice, I can give up Barilla pasta.

by Anonymousreply 3509/26/2013

Let's be clear -- This is NOT about a boycott. The Chairman of the company says he's happy if we don't buy his products. Buying them won't spite the company, but we shouldn't give them our money either.

Putting the heat on them is the right thing to do. Make them deal with us. Make the compassionate ones squirm and the bigots compelled to swallow their hate and grovel. It's bad PR, and they should suffer for it.

And if they pay for a gay friendly ad or donate to us, even better.

I'd say they should start with a lesbian couple to remind this asshole women are in gay couples, but since it's gay men that trouble him so, a gay male couple -- two hot Italians -- I'd like to see them pay for that.

by Anonymousreply 3609/26/2013

Thanks r11, I sent an email.

I basically said that there are plenty of other choices for this gay household. A link to the offensive talk by Guido Barilla has been forwarded to all my address book friends, of all sexualities. Barilla is dead to me

by Anonymousreply 3709/26/2013

You can contact them on Twitter too:

by Anonymousreply 3809/26/2013

Barilla knows its consumers. no self respecting gay is eating carbs any way.

SARCASM (for the sarcasmly impaired)

by Anonymousreply 4009/26/2013

Well, thanks for clearing that up r39!

fucking dolt. (((smacks forehead))))

by Anonymousreply 4109/26/2013

You're a complete idiot, R39.

by Anonymousreply 4209/26/2013

Well there goes the Vatican.

by Anonymousreply 4309/26/2013

R39 misses the point completely. What a dense tool.

by Anonymousreply 4409/26/2013

Wonderful pr to his company. Let's do as he wishes.

by Anonymousreply 4509/26/2013

I hope this controversy doesn't spill over to facebook. I hate that shit

by Anonymousreply 4609/26/2013

Aren't these companies usually subsidiaries of bigger food conglomerates?

by Anonymousreply 4809/26/2013

It was probably this obtusely meaningless and grammatically incorrect sentence, R47:

[quote]Hell, in parts of Italy you can't open up anything but an Italian restaurant, it is literally illegal.

by Anonymousreply 4909/26/2013

[quote] Barilla said today that he meant no ill will toward LGBT people with his remarks

What an asshole. Of course he did.

by Anonymousreply 5009/26/2013

[quote] Hell, in parts of Italy you can't open up anything but an Italian restaurant, it is literally illegal.

In Italy, they're just called restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 5109/26/2013

Contact Us page for Barilla

by Anonymousreply 5209/26/2013

[quote]Prove I'm an idiot R42 - I'll be waiting for the gays in Italian pasta prove I'm an "idiot"

Your post at R47 is proof enough you're an idiot. Because you're not getting it. You're not getting that your insistent point is utterly irrelevant. You're MISSING THE POINT.

by Anonymousreply 5309/26/2013

[quote]Prove I'm an idiot [R42] - I'll be waiting for the gays in Italian pasta prove I'm an "idiot"

OMG! You're totally missing the point. This isn't about having gays in pasta ads. This is about the CEO of a company telling gays to buy someone else's pasta if we don't like his opinions, because he values "traditional families" so highly. We don't fit his desired demographic and have been advised to buy products from his competitors.

Forgetting, of course, that gay people are mostly members of traditional families. And we're certainly the products of them.

by Anonymousreply 5409/26/2013

People can say a boycott and public outrage against Barilla won't make a difference and maybe ten years ago, or even five, that would have been true.

Now? Barilla will be damaged by this, at least in the American market. Their reputation is in free-fall.

The homophobes will quickly forget and go back to buying whatever pasta is on sale. It's a different story for us, our friends, families, colleagues, etc. We'll never buy Barilla products again.

by Anonymousreply 5509/26/2013

Their brand manager is Prita Wadhwani, Brand Manager, Public Relations.

Her email is

by Anonymousreply 5709/26/2013

I dont think people are angry because they're not using gays in their ads. Am i wrong? I thought it was him telling gays he doesn't want their buisness.

I mean even chick fil a didn't go that far.

by Anonymousreply 5809/26/2013

OMG, r56. His "HONESTY" is exactly the offensive point! The guy should not be going public with such a hateful POV. Keeping quiet on hateful matters - regardless of your opinion - is actually proper behavior. Imagine if someone volunteered the statement "I don't want any blacks in my business..."

Someone saying I HATE JEWS AND I THINK THEY SHOULD ALL BE MURDERED may be being honest. It doesn't mean he's right.

by Anonymousreply 5909/26/2013

[quote]but mine is that ALL Italian foods are like this. He was just honest about it.

And that CONTINUES to be irrelevant.

What is it you're not getting?

He made it public. He made it a point, and went out of his way to denigrate gay people IN PUBLIC.

I don't give a shit what people do in private.

If you can't see how this is different, you're too dense and stupid and dumb for words.

by Anonymousreply 6009/26/2013

[quote]They did the apology already. Move on.

What apology would remotely be acceptable?

We were told to eat a different brand. So we will.

What the fuck is your problem?

by Anonymousreply 6209/26/2013

No r61, we blame Vlad PutIn.

by Anonymousreply 6309/26/2013

R20, no one should be eating sauce out of a jar. Homemade or nothing. That being said, Barilla, the few times I tried it, was far too salty.

by Anonymousreply 6409/26/2013

I wish people would get behind worthwhile protests like ending the use of the GAY PANIC DEFFENSE or protesting when murderers get 5 years or less.

No, it's shit an ocean away. Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 6509/26/2013

The russia creeps' logic make no sense.should gays boycott rihanna because she's Bajan and her country punishes gays by putting them in prison for life?

by Anonymousreply 6609/26/2013

[quote]I understand that is your point, but mine is that ALL Italian foods are like this. He was just honest about it.

How do you know this? Are you saying this because you think Italians are all Catholic, macho baby-making, pasta-eating Guidos and Ginas? That's an unfortunate stereotype. Surely there are modern, sophisticated, worldly Italians don't you think? Ones that may even own food companies and not be the least bit homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 6709/26/2013

R56, I don't see other pasta manufacturers going after homosexuals. I attended a hoighty-toighty private boarding school with the Ronzoni heirs. They'd NEVER shoot their mouths off like this guy did. It isn't an American company. It is a European company with gold standards. Their pasta is superior owning to the fact that you can't overcook it. It holds together and has a higher breaking point but I'll go and spend the noodle money on other Italian pasta makers that make egg noodle nests and pampardelle. Just never Barilla again will I buy a peasant's pasta. Could you imagine if that Italian prosecutor - in the Amanda case- tried to peddle his opinions of devil cults here? He'd end up in a 5150 hold but in Italy, he was given free range of a predominately peasant village of Peruvia. Cut these people off at the knees. I always do. They're dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 6809/26/2013

We do not accept the apology. Fuck Barilla, they are on my permanent boycott list.

As for Russia, land of nouveau homophobia as well as homophobia l'ancien, we should be publicly shaming them and their representatives at every possible opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 6909/26/2013

Why do heads of companies make religious or political statements? It's so stupid on their part. I am a straight woman w/ a family of four to feed & often buy Barilla. But I won't be anymore. Maybe gays can eat someone else's pasta but so will their straight families and friends.

by Anonymousreply 7009/26/2013

[quote]No, it's shit an ocean away. Fuck.

They have subsidiaries around the world and sell their products in North America. It's a global company. It's not an ocean away. It's right here.

by Anonymousreply 7109/26/2013

Fuck you apathetic slug r72. Those sauces are mediocre and easily substituted.

by Anonymousreply 7309/26/2013

R72, I call bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 7409/26/2013

R69 you're shaming nobody but yourselves.

Brooke Shields was like "wtf are these queers doing" in a pic i saw. Imean, that stuff turns off people who are allies.

by Anonymousreply 7509/26/2013

There is nothing knee jerk about it, r76, grow a pair.

by Anonymousreply 7809/26/2013

[quote]Do you realize that if sales drop as the result of a boycott, that means employees, including many gay employees, lose their jobs.

What a charmingly naive and simple-minded way to look at things. By that reasoning we should also support Monsanto, arms makers, the Keystone pipeline, the seal hunt, drug dealers, hookers, etc. Afterall if they lose money then people will lose jobs.

by Anonymousreply 7909/26/2013

Dont buy the pasta fine but shut up about it before far-right groups bus people to grocery stores all over the place to buy up all the pasta like they did during the chick fil a debauchle.

by Anonymousreply 8009/26/2013

r79, your examples are hardly analogous, as these "professions" have potential to cause harm to others. And please don't respond that anti-gay sentiments from some addled old pasta jockey are going to result in a spike in gay bashings.

by Anonymousreply 8109/26/2013

[quote]Dont buy the pasta fine but shut up about it before far-right groups bus people to grocery stores all over the place to buy up all the pasta like they did during the chick fil a debauchle.

Your reaction is to be quiet in case the far right catches wind of it? WTF?

I say LET the far right go in droves to the store to stock up on Barilla. And make sure there are a thousand TV cameras there to catch it all and beam it around the world. I guarantee you that's definitely NOT the kind attention Barilla wants. It would damage their brand even further and firmly entrench it as an antigay product.

by Anonymousreply 8209/26/2013

R81 et. al, if you're so over all of these boycotts and don't care about this, why don't you just fuck off?

No one's forcing you to post on the thread, so if you have something better to do, go do it. Or are you really just yet another self-loathing apologist.

For those of us who don't give a shit about the pasta, we're enjoying the idea of sending a message that companies should regret staying stupid shit about gay people.

As has been said above, this is NOT A BOYCOTT. He said don't buy the pasta. People are calling him on his bullshit.

So crawl back in your hole, please.

by Anonymousreply 8309/26/2013

I feel his pain and I'm not just making an off colored joke.

by Anonymousreply 8409/26/2013

The linked-in page for Barilla is a joke. It has a post supposedly recognizing them for:

"Most Ethical and Social Responsible (sp) Ideal Employer."

"2013 Student Survey"

by Anonymousreply 8509/26/2013

I'll join the boycott, but not until next week. This week it's on sale for 88 cents a box!

by Anonymousreply 8609/26/2013

But he's HAWT!

Would eat his macaroni anytime.

by Anonymousreply 8709/26/2013

Seriously, fuck these people... why are all these CEOs suddenly yacking about this stuff in the first place? We could boycott them for being stupid alone but stupid and hateful seals the deal. Especially when it's so easy to find other brands.

I am not even that radical politically but every time I drive by a Chick Fil A, I shake my head and drive on. No way I would give that company another dime. Who would?

by Anonymousreply 8809/26/2013

yech, R87. I didn't even know it was possible for Italians to be that unattractive. Looks like he'd have to slurp up that pasta with no lips.

by Anonymousreply 8909/26/2013

Honey @ R86. It's dried pasta. The store brand is always less than that and is the same.

Who are these apologist queens? Obviously, trolls, right?

by Anonymousreply 9009/26/2013

Whew, at least nobody's lookin at us now.

by Anonymousreply 9109/26/2013

Boycott away, but nothing will happen. In my liberal town there was a huge outcry about CFA opening up, so they couldn't open up or so I thought. Our council is filled with far lefties & greenies of every stripe btw. Just drove by that area where they wanted to be the other day, and guess what? They're there, and packed. Across the street from the college and hs btw. Packed.

by Anonymousreply 9209/26/2013

A couple of things:

I listened to Barilla's statements from the radio interview (in Italian...I'm in Italy) and honestly, what he said and how he said it was just stupid for the owner of an international company to be saying.

I'm all for the boycott.

But for those of you who think that this is some "Italian thing"...think again... Benetton, a very Italian company, with their "United Colors of Benetton" advertising, was at the vanguard of portraying gays and alternative lifestyles in a positive light.

BTW R68 understands nothing.

by Anonymousreply 9309/26/2013

[quote]Brooke Shields was like "wtf are these queers doing" in a pic i saw.

Brooke Shields? And she is the arbiter of what, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 9409/26/2013

I never eat that brand and apparently I never will.

by Anonymousreply 9509/26/2013

r93 agree but Benetton is fashion, which means gay anyway.

Food is a different thing in Italy and you know that even though Milan considers itself to be the font of fashion (sorry have to snicker at that).

by Anonymousreply 9609/26/2013

What American companies are using same sex couples?

They've just started introducing inter-racial sex-discordant couples, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 9709/26/2013

R93 here again. I just want to add that DiCecco is indeed a very good pasta.

Barilla, in Italy, is considered a mid-range and very commercial brand.

DiCecco costs more but it has a nicer texture and flavour (wheatier) and holds it's firmness better.

by Anonymousreply 9809/26/2013

Oh GREAT! Another "I'm sorry you're offended," apology. I can't get enough of those.

by Anonymousreply 9909/26/2013

The Cook's Country people tested all sorts of pasta and indeed, found DiCecco to be the best among their taste testers.

Including the main dork.

by Anonymousreply 10109/26/2013

Imagine the nightmare of the PR firm hired to handle the backlash for this funny looking no lipped man who is short on social skills and PR savvy. Don't you worry his ugly head about this, my darlings. They ain't getting my lifetime noodle money. They are so gonna feel this.

by Anonymousreply 10209/26/2013

[quote].I really don't know what your point is. Benetton is fashion, yes... but it's sold to the masses here.

Do you live in 1989?

by Anonymousreply 10309/26/2013

Both Kindle and Nordstrom have had ads that feature gay couples. Ikea did earlier (back in the 90s). Crate & Barrel. JC Penny's. American Airlines.

But I'm not aware of any food advertising yet.

by Anonymousreply 10409/26/2013

103, i know! Don't you just love this troll correcting us all? Plenty of companies were ruined with PR bombs like this and never recovered. People have lost careers, livelyhoods by displaying such arrogance. See Kim Bassinger. or Paula D.

by Anonymousreply 10509/26/2013

The Italian press and Italy's social networks are going crazy over this.

R96: Buitoni Italy's main competitor and Garafolo a premium pasta brand have now come out in support for their gay customers on their company facebook pages. Ikea Italy has also joined in the anti-Barilla chorus.

by Anonymousreply 10609/26/2013

Buitoni is making a play on its Facebook page:

[italic]A Casa Buitoni c’è posto per tutti.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 10709/26/2013

R103... yes Bennetton is sold to the masses here. As I explained, I'm writing from Italy.

by Anonymousreply 10809/26/2013

"A Casa Buitoni c’è posto per tutti."

"At the House of Buitoni there is place for everyone"

by Anonymousreply 10909/26/2013

I like Delallo.

by Anonymousreply 11009/26/2013

Trader Joes has a nice selection of alternate pasta companies.

by Anonymousreply 11109/26/2013

You cunts actually eat boxed dry pasta? Oh, dear.

Real gays make their own from scratch. It takes no time and is as simple as...well, most of you. Such a silly little teapot tempest this is.

by Anonymousreply 11209/26/2013

^Bitch, we don't have pasta machines and we're not going to sit there trying to cut strands!

by Anonymousreply 11309/26/2013

I just put three partially filled boxes to the curb even though garbage pick up is on Monday. Got a few agreeing honks from passerby. Place the boxes at the curb for all to see.

by Anonymousreply 11409/26/2013

oh R112, it isn't worth the time and time is money. Boxed pasta is so cheap, I'm glad you make your own from scratch every single time. On occasion I prepare Penn Dutch egg noodles from scratch. Add a little yellow food coloring to make it appear "egg-ier. I don't have the time you do.

by Anonymousreply 11509/26/2013

People like R112 know nothing about pasta.

Dried hard wheat pasta and fresh pasta (usually made with eggs) are two very different things. Both are equally good. If both are of high quality, one is not superior to the other.

Italy mostly eats dried pasta by the way.

by Anonymousreply 11609/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 11709/26/2013

I don't think that the homophobes are going to pick up the slack on a gay boycott of Barilla pasta, at least not in flyover places. On a recent trip to flyover turf, rural Michigan to be specific, the pasta was put in the little ethnic foods section, along with soy sauce and Mexican and Asian foods.

by Anonymousreply 11809/26/2013

Get pasta at the dollar store! It's 2 boxes for a buck where I am.

by Anonymousreply 11909/26/2013

[r80] the right wing folks are not going to line up to buy the likes of Barilla. It's too expensive and half of them won't even know what to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 12009/26/2013

[r96] your ignorance is showing ... and I mean that in the true sense of the word.

by Anonymousreply 12109/26/2013

They won't know what to do with pasta r120? You put it in boiling water for 5 minutes. Is that high cuisine for you Americans?

All I know is that when everything calms down, most people will go back to their buying habits. Will Barilla be damaged enough by then? Maybe I'm wrong, but in this case I don't think so. Maybe in America.

I love Barilla, but it's not the best pasta in the world.

And what that Toronto professor David Gilmour said is more shocking to me than this pasta guy.

by Anonymousreply 12309/26/2013

R116 is absolutely right. There's absolutely nothing wrong with dried pasta. If the best Italian chefs can use it (to say nothing of my sweet Nonna) then your pretentious little gay asses can use it.

by Anonymousreply 12409/26/2013

Fresh, egg pasta and dried pasta are two completely different products. That someone like R112 would not know this tells me he knows nothing about cooking.

by Anonymousreply 12509/26/2013

[r123] throw it boiling water then what?

by Anonymousreply 12609/26/2013

I apologize r126. I didn't realise that for Americans pasta dishes are difficult to cook. I guess you need fries and burgers for every meal.

by Anonymousreply 12709/26/2013

I LOve how he uses women for justifying his statement. Now that's a pussy galore!

by Anonymousreply 12809/26/2013

You guys still eat carbs?

by Anonymousreply 12909/26/2013

"A casa Buitoni c'è posto per tutti"

by Anonymousreply 13009/26/2013

Hoped comments here would be more thoughtful, or at least funnier, than those elsewhere. Wrong. Quickly devolved into the usual name calling and stupidy. Check #BarillaUS for some really good responses.

by Anonymousreply 13109/26/2013

[r127] you are completely missing the point

by Anonymousreply 13209/26/2013

I used to use uncooked Barilla angel hair for sounding. Now what will I use?

by Anonymousreply 13309/26/2013

I don't want Barilla's limp noodle anywhere near me.

by Anonymousreply 13409/26/2013

There was no apology, there was no recanting, there was no back-pedaling...

It was a "non-pology".

The passive sort of "I'm sorry you were offended" crap that too many people think counts as an apology.

by Anonymousreply 13509/26/2013

I enjoyed emailing this just now:

Subject: Straight woman here

Dear Prita Wadhwani,

Thanks for the message that only certain people should eat your pasta, and for being honest about your discrimination. All humans deserve equal rights. I financially support the Human Rights Campaign. I will avoid your brand. I will tell all my straight friends, too!

by Anonymousreply 13609/26/2013

R136, Barilla is $1 a box at my grocery store. It's one of the cheapest pastas out ther.

by Anonymousreply 13709/26/2013

I don't remember many people clamoring for a same-sex pasta advertisement anyway so why did he even have to jump into the fray?

by Anonymousreply 13809/26/2013

Good to know. I'll never buy that shit brand again.

by Anonymousreply 13909/26/2013

Foolish man.

by Anonymousreply 14009/26/2013

I've only bought their "Plus" protein pasta for those times when I eat pasta. I'm certainly not throwing out the rest of the box, since I've already paid for it. But, I will find another brand to buy.

by Anonymousreply 14109/26/2013

"Buying jarred sauces means you're trailer trash"

Not everyone has the time to make it from scratch like our mommas used to do.

But you're certainly welcome to harvest your own tomatoes and grind your own beef, Mary faux-frau.

by Anonymousreply 14209/26/2013

Barilla also make Wasa Crisp Bread.

by Anonymousreply 14309/26/2013

Fuck me. Is that true, R143?

Well, at least I now have something to boycott because I never ate their shit pasta.

by Anonymousreply 14409/26/2013

Conan mentioned it on his show and the audience booed.

by Anonymousreply 14509/27/2013

R48 brings up an important point. Barilla is likely a food subsidiary or has several subsidiaries that should be exposed as well. Boycott ALL products.

by Anonymousreply 14609/27/2013

fuck barilla! there are tons of pasta to choose from

by Anonymousreply 14709/27/2013

Link is to their website and info on their other brands.

by Anonymousreply 14809/27/2013

"Ahik-Fil-A didn't suffer sales because Americans are fat greedy pigs who love fast food. "

No proof that they are or are not suffering at all since they don't release their sales figures.

However, they haven't opened as many stores as previous years -- which is a good indication that they aren't doing great.

by Anonymousreply 14909/27/2013

Wasa is a Swedish company. It may be distributed by the same company that distributes Barilla but it's not made by Barilla.

by Anonymousreply 15009/27/2013

Probably because their customers inevitably succumb to heart disease from all of that fried chicken.

by Anonymousreply 15109/27/2013

Is this what the CEO afraid of?

by Anonymousreply 15209/27/2013

It's a shame it's Friday. No doubt the Daily Show and/or Colbert would've done something with this.

Maybe Monday.

by Anonymousreply 15309/27/2013

R150. wrong Wasa is owned by Barilla.

by Anonymousreply 15409/27/2013

Dear r93, can you please stop saying "I'm from Italy so I know everything and I declare that everyone else knows nothing". It's very irritating and pompous of you.

Also, please stop trying to deny that Italy is one of the most conservative and vicious countries in Europe with a shockingly shit level of public debate about social issues. Benetton's ad campaigns were more about getting publicity because they were "controversial" than about trying to break down social boundaries. In no other country in Europe, perhaps the world, would you get members of the parliament saying of a black minister "when I see pictures of Kyenge I cannot but think of the features of an orangutan" or would a black politician have banannas thrown at them.

And, yes, the Perugia prosecutor is a lunatic and only in Italy would such charges ever be thought credible. Oh, and let's not even start on your longest-serving prime minister (I mean the supposedly elected one, not the dictator one).

by Anonymousreply 15509/27/2013

R154, owned by Barilla doesn't mean it's made by Barilla.

And R150 is wrong on the distribution question as well.

You're both confused.

by Anonymousreply 15609/27/2013

Hair-splitting aside r156, "owned by" is enough of a reason to boycott Wasa as well.

by Anonymousreply 15709/27/2013

It's not hair-splitting, R156. R150 appears to have been responding to the comment above that Wasa was made by Barilla. It's not.

"Owned by" in your view is enough to engineer this all-encompassing boycott, fine.

But it is still made in Sweden by a Swedish company that is now a subsidiary. See the link below. The owners may have had no idea that Barilla had these policies and may not share those views, and Barilla may have no actual control over Wasabröd.

Subsidiaries are often NOT controlled by the parent company, and certainly do not control their advertising or their employment policies. If they do, they're one company, if they don't they're legally not. You know nothing about their accounting policies or any other policy to snap to that judgment.

Maybe we should boycott all gay companies in the United States because the United States still discriminates in many places against gay people and has no national laws against anti-gay discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 15809/27/2013

Probably keeps a discreet tortellino on the side.

by Anonymousreply 15909/27/2013

If they own it, they make money off of Wasa sales, therefore Wasa should be boycotted too. Ceasing to contribute to Barilla's profits is the whole point of the boycott.

by Anonymousreply 16009/27/2013

There is no boycott, R160, except in your head.

Please do tell us how much money Barilla makes from Wasa.

In the meantime, there are plenty of us who think it's the Barilla name that's associated with the anti-gay bullshit, and it's that name only that needs to be targeted and shamed.

Mr. Barilla said there would be no gay couple in a Barilla ad. He said nothing about Wasa bread.

You're not the organizer of "the boycott", so stop acting like one.

by Anonymousreply 16109/27/2013

[quote] You're not the organizer of "the boycott", so stop acting like one.

Look who's talking. I couldn't care less who you boycott or not. Barilla doesn't own Wasa out of the goodness of their hearts, they own it to make money from them, obviously. How much is irrelevant, a successful boycott goes after all sources of revenue.

by Anonymousreply 16209/27/2013

R162, if you "couldn't care less" who you boycott, what exactly are you doing then at R157 and R160, giving boycott lessons?

Again, there IS no boycott. People are simply saying we're doing what Barilla said, buying other pasta.

There's no boycott against Barilla, no boycott against Wasa.

WTF is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 16309/27/2013

I said I couldn't care less who YOU boycott, or anything else about you. Apparently you can't deal with anyone expressing an opposite opinion without having a meltdown about it. You're also hair-splitting again about whether it's a boycott or not. Yes he did ask for the boycott and we're just giving him what he wanted, duh. God you're boring.

by Anonymousreply 16409/27/2013

Actually, evidence points to r164 R162 etc, etc having the meltdown!

by Anonymousreply 16509/27/2013

Agreed R165.

R164 et al, you're just a moron, and a tedious one at that. He didn't ask for a boycott. He said "buy another pasta". Where do you get boycott from that?

For someone who claims not to care about who boycotts what, you're still lecturing everybody about what "we" are boycotting.

There's no boycott of Wasa Bread, not even a boycott of Barilla.

by Anonymousreply 16709/27/2013

Really, r166? Bought more tonight? At 6:59am?

You've brought trolling to a new low.

by Anonymousreply 16809/27/2013

Just a few facts for the lunatic at R162.

Wasa has done ads with male couples. They had no gay signs but the most famous one -- years after Wasa was bought by Barilla and was owned by it -- had one making breakfast for the other, no woman in the picture.

It was a big deal in Europe where it was broadcast and was singled out as a gay friendly ad.

Which goes to prove the point that while the Barilla chairman was talking about pasta ads, it has nothing to do with gay positive ads by a subsidiary that is still a Swedish company making its own ad decisions.

I say thank Wasa, buy the bread and encourage them to make another ad like before. Swedes do this all the time.

by Anonymousreply 16909/27/2013

[quote]There is no boycott, [R160], except in your head.

Besides being clearly insane, you're also quite ignorant, especially of how actual boycotts work.

A group of people are refusing to patronize a business on political grounds. That's a boycott. It's already happening whether you like it or not.

How fucked in the head do you have to be to value a box 49¢ box of spaghetti over your own self-worth? Or are you just a homophobe siding with Barilla against "the gays"? Seriously, who comes to a gay website and poo-poos a boycott after the CEO explicitly states that he doesn't want gay people buying their product? What kind of gay person would insist on continuing to buy their products?

Honestly, WTF is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 17009/27/2013

Another psycho at R170.

Read my post again, you know, the EXACT ONE you quote from?

In that very post, I actually AGREED with not buying the pasta since they don't care about gay customers, and in my posts (troll-dar me, it works well), I also agreed in all shaming of Barilla as a company as appropriate. I even REPEATED it a R163.

WTF is wrong with YOU that you can't read that? My self-worth isn't at issue here. I agree that we shouldn't buy the fucking pasta.

Since you decided to chime in on this issue, though, let's be clear: There IS no boycott. I realize in the internet age people think if they assert they won't buy the pasta there is some organized boycott, but there isn't. It's people saying they're not buying the pasta. Whether they're actually doing it is a different matter. But there CERTAINLY is no organized boycott against the Barilla brand and its subsidiaries. It's all talk right now.

What brought THIS stink on is another lunatic's insistence about punishing Wasa Bread, which as R169 points out, has made gay friendly ads?

In all your boycott-frothing, maybe you missed that too.

by Anonymousreply 17109/27/2013

R155 you know a few idiots don't always represent a whole country. You wouldn't want the rest of the world judge Americans on Bush, father and son, KKK, Gitmo and all the other shit we did around the globe.

by Anonymousreply 17209/27/2013

I'm psycho? I'm not the one choosing a dried up old cracker over my own self-worth, crazyface!

[quote]There IS no boycott.

And this is why you're crazy! Stamp your little feet all you want, Mary, the boycott began the second Guido Barilla opened his mouth to speak.

by Anonymousreply 17309/27/2013

I am very confused now as to what and whom I am to boycott. Can someone help? Also, if Chick Fil A starts selling Barilla products, would that be proof they're fucking with us?

by Anonymousreply 17409/27/2013

Again, attacks on me and my self worth, R173, with a homophobic slap at the same time.

What a piece of work you are.

Again, you ignore my repeated comments that Barilla deserves to be shamed and its homophobia should be slammed, and no one should buy the pasta.

Again, you ignore that Wasa Bread, the company has done gay positive ads and therefore, as others say should be praised for it and rewarded.

And as for "stomping my little feet" this show you're putting on hysterically insisting that there is a boycott, there is a boycott paints yourself as nothing but a hysteric.

This happened days ago. There is no evidence whatsoever that their pasta sales have been affected by any of this. And there is certainly no organized boycott endorsed by anyone.

When there is that evidence, get back to us.

by Anonymousreply 17509/27/2013

Boycott those companies headed by outspoken, unrepentant homophobes. That includes Chik-fil-A and all products made and/or owned by Barilla. Do not spend one penny that might wind up benefitting these bigoted CEOs.

It's really quite simple, unless you're weak enough to have a stupid emotional attachment to a food item that overrides your own sense of self worth. Then you can choke on your Wasa bread.

by Anonymousreply 17609/27/2013

Gurl please. I, like so many homosexuals eat pasta sparingly because it's one of the most evil carbs out there. This boycott is no sweat!

by Anonymousreply 17709/27/2013

Do you think Signore Barilla discussed this with his board of directors, or his family, before making this statement? Didn't anyone say, "Hey Guido, shaddup!"? This is as ridiculous as the Chik-fil-A contretemp. I've yet to understand WHY these CEO's make these pronouncements.

by Anonymousreply 17809/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 17909/27/2013

[quote]And there is certainly no organized boycott endorsed by anyone.

Why does this matter to you? Why is the boycott only "real" if it's "organized" or "endorsed by someone"? WHO has to endorse it to elevate it to the status you require? Who is this "someone"? Do you hear how you sound? You sound weak-willed and easily led. You need a pretty face or a big name to get behind this boycott and, lacking that, you're going to continue buying and eating your favorite cracker because you think a few token commercials are "progress", even though the CEO selling those crackers just called you less than human. And I'd bet Harvey Milk could descend from heaven and call for a boycott of Barilla products and you'd STILL stuff your face with Wasa crackers and claim "there's no boycott!"

I'm not giving my money to Guido Barilla. That includes any product he could financially benefit from, including Wasa.

That's a boycott whether you like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 18009/27/2013

Easiest "boycott" in the world, there are so many other good brands ... if not better.

by Anonymousreply 18209/27/2013

Gay people dont eat carbs anyway

by Anonymousreply 18309/27/2013

Looks like you're the idiot, r181, you posted at 6:59am. Go back to your cave, knuckle dragger.

by Anonymousreply 18409/27/2013

R176 / R180, you are so deranged you can't be reasoned with.

No one has "emotional attachment" to a bread or its company, and you know nothing about individuals' self worth. The idea of boycotting is about punishing a company that has DONE gay-positive ads and has NO EVIDENCE of every supporting discrimination because YOU have determined it will allegedly hurt or have an impact on Barilla.

As for this latest little tirade about the boycott being in existence, I never said there is a single test for a boycott.

What has been said -- over and over, though you are too dense to get it -- as that there is no proof whatsoever that there is any boycott going on. Until there is evidence that sales have dropped off or someone has organized or endorsed one, it's THEORETICAL if not imaginary.

It's the second day since this hit. Get a clue.

You want to rage just to rage, so go ahead and explode.

by Anonymousreply 18509/27/2013

Wasa Bread seems a strange thing to get so worked up about...

by Anonymousreply 18609/27/2013

Could someone just put R180 out of her fucking misery?

Stuffing our faces with Wasa, emotional attachment to Wasa.... come on.

It's a good thing this internet troll will never run an actual boycott, much less have to work with actual human beings.

by Anonymousreply 18709/27/2013

r180 is proving that those who call boycotts knee jerk are correct.

Wasa does an ad with one man cooking for another and R180 wants to punish the company because it's in Barilla's corporate chain.

The Barilla chairman said ads need to have women in them to make a household, while Wasa does what it wants and shows the opposite.

We should reward that and encourage it.

R180 is not only too stupid to get it, but is just a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 18809/27/2013

Pasta? Y'all sound fat.

by Anonymousreply 18909/27/2013

Uh-oh, spaghetti-o!

by Anonymousreply 19009/27/2013

"I apologize if my remarks, which tell people how I really feel, upset anyone."

by Anonymousreply 19109/27/2013

[bold]12 Best Responses To Barilla’s ‘I Would Not Do A Commercial With A Homosexual Family’[/bold]

After the chairman of Barilla pasta — a $5.25 billion international corporation — said he would never show a gay family in his advertising — and if gay people don’t like it the can go eat someone else’s pasta, the world went to work.

Many other pasta companies released marketing to show support for the LGBT community (and grab some business!) and the spoofers went to work.

We scoured the internets to find the best responses — here they are.

(see link)

by Anonymousreply 19209/27/2013

Great link, R192. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 19309/27/2013

DeCecco is three boxes for $5 at Fairway this week

by Anonymousreply 19409/27/2013

Barilla also owns Mulino Biancho, a very popular packaged cookie brand in Italy. I usually have a bag of their cookies in the house, enough of that I guess! I haven't bought Barilla pasta in years, it's crap, really. DeCecco is much better, as is a brand called DeMartino which is made near Naples. Another brand called Garofalo (which I've seen at some Italian stores in Brooklyn but can't recall buying) has come out in support of gays.

And really, I can't believe how many of you are so closed minded about Italians. Search the "boicottabarilla" tag on instagram or twitter, loads of Italians who are very much supportive of gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 19509/27/2013

"I apologize if you understood what I meant, you assfucks,"

By, by, Barilla.

by Anonymousreply 19609/27/2013

Didin't he mean assfuckERS, r197?

by Anonymousreply 19709/27/2013

Okay, I'm straight. My partner and I both are on the boycott bandwagon. If we had liked their nasty, cheap pasta, we would still make sure to switch. I don't understand how some of you won't switch to different brands. As my partner says, If you aren't willing to make a financial commitment, you're wasting your time. We want Barilla to go broke. That means boycotting any brands they currently own, and supporting brands who welcome our business and support equality. Let the message ring clearly in the marketplace.

Wasa may have been great before, but a bigot owns them now. In solidarity, in commitment to equality, they should not get a single dollar from us. We can't see real change until we threaten the livelihood of bigots. That is the only way to get them to change their discriminatory ways.

Your dollar is your true vote.

by Anonymousreply 19809/27/2013

I'm actually impressed by the number of straight people on my Facebook feed who are outraged and willing and eager to boycott the brand, and encouraging others to do so.

by Anonymousreply 19909/27/2013

England is fag country

by Anonymousreply 20009/27/2013

So we are boycotting? What happened to all the wacko Wasa addicts upthread who insisted there would be no boycott until we appointed a gay pope to proclaim it?

by Anonymousreply 20109/27/2013

We need tortellini reform for bigotoli vermicelli like this.

by Anonymousreply 20209/27/2013

For those who think no Italian food companies will advertise using gays:

by Anonymousreply 20309/27/2013

More about Bertolli response

by Anonymousreply 20409/27/2013

I really like the German Bertolli ad.

by Anonymousreply 20509/27/2013

I'm'a'go buy some Bertoli now.

by Anonymousreply 20609/27/2013

There on Facebook. Go write how much you love them...

by Anonymousreply 20709/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 20809/27/2013

Totally off topic but if Gianni is equivalent to Johnny, Carlo to Charles, Marco to Mark, etc. what is Guido in English? Gordon?

by Anonymousreply 20909/27/2013

FWIW, for the sake of clarity, I'd stick to targeting the Barilla brand. Going after Barilla-owned subsidiaries dilutes the message and confuses the issue in the public's mind.

The product positioning we want is Barilla = bigoted.

Now, if some of you also choose to stop purchasing anything under the Barilla corporate umbrella, that's fine, too. But for the purposes of a boycott, I'd stay focused on the Barilla brand.

by Anonymousreply 21009/27/2013

I think it's "Guy." Guido Fawkes (a pseudonym - can't recall the real name) is a right wing writer.

by Anonymousreply 21109/27/2013

Barilla pasta is as hard as a rock. It's tough and tasteless. Wouldn't you know that the wop, goombah who owns it is a backward neanderthal. Appropriately named: Guido!! Laughing my Italian ass off. It's the slugs like him that give the ones like me a bad reputation. I stopped eating pasta years ago. It's the main cause of carb face. Makes you look like you're storing nuts for the winter in your cheeks.

by Anonymousreply 21209/27/2013

Totally off topic but if Gianni is equivalent to Johnny, Carlo to Charles, Marco to Mark, etc. what is Guido in English? Gordon?

Guido translates to Meathead.

by Anonymousreply 21309/27/2013

The Bertolli ads warm my heart. I like that they portrayed families of all kinds. I like that you could infer they were also families of varying ethnicity.

Excellent work.

by Anonymousreply 21409/27/2013

Sent an email to the marketing director. Shock! She hasn't written back.

by Anonymousreply 21509/27/2013

Too bad those Bertolli meals taste so nasty.

by Anonymousreply 21609/27/2013

I just got a response to my e-mail I sent last night.

"Dear Jack,

At Barilla, we consider it our mission to treat our consumers and partners as our neighbors – with love and respect – and to deliver the very best products possible. We take this responsibility seriously and consider it a core part of who we are as a family-owned company.

We are working hard to learn from this experience, and appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and valuable feedback.

by Anonymousreply 21709/27/2013

Cannot boycott since I didn't think thay had the best pasta and rarely bought their products. Del Verde is much better

by Anonymousreply 21809/27/2013

I currently buy the organic whole wheat pastas from Trader Joes. I like it. Might try some of the other brands mentioned here, though.

by Anonymousreply 21909/27/2013

Hey Guido,

Suck my big, fat gay Italian American cock.

by Anonymousreply 22009/28/2013

Interesting, r219, no response yet for me, I sent yesterday afternoon. Nothing in that letter sways my opinion, they are in damage control, deserving a slow, painful death. I hope the good employees bail and go to the competition.

by Anonymousreply 22109/28/2013

I have to wonder if they'd lose any employees over this. I honestly don't think they would, but it would be interesting to know.

And they're in damage control, but I honestly wonder if this will be detectable on their bottom line.

And if we'll ever really know.

by Anonymousreply 22209/28/2013

Wow, now I know why I always thought their pasta was shit!

by Anonymousreply 22309/28/2013

Actual their "Barilla Plus" Omega-3 Whole Wheat pasta was really good... to date, the only whole-wheat pasta that didn't completely suck.

Oh well, I'll do without.

by Anonymousreply 22409/28/2013

Buy Victoria brand sauces. Closest thing to homemade , IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 22509/28/2013

[bold]Will the Barilla CEO's anti-gay remarks hurt the pasta company? [/bold]

[italic]There might be a public backlash, but it's not clear that homophobic comments hurt corporations at the bank [/italic]

Great insightful and interesting article at the link:

by Anonymousreply 22609/28/2013

Fast food has more appeal to homophobic pigs than cheap pasta, which has lots of competition. They'll continue buying whatever is on sale, while gays avoid Barilla like the plague. It's not going to help, how could it. And gay boycotts against food products have worked in the past, Coors beer being an example.

by Anonymousreply 22709/28/2013

I would love to see a large 10% dip in their bottom line come next quarter's results.

Are they a publicly traded company, or private? Just curious (and too lazy to look it up myself)

by Anonymousreply 22809/28/2013

Privately owned, R230.

by Anonymousreply 22909/28/2013

[quote](what food companies in the states are using gay couples at the moment?)

Oreo posted a great pic on Facebook about a year or so ago: an oreo cookie with 7 layers of filling, in rainbow colors.

by Anonymousreply 23009/30/2013

Ben & Jerry's renamed Chubby Hubby "Hubby Hubby" to support marriage equality in Vermont.

by Anonymousreply 23109/30/2013

I have some in my pantry, and will never again purchase their product.

by Anonymousreply 23209/30/2013

R230, I don't know if you read any of the articles surrounding this story or paused to consider Guido Barilla's name alongside that of the company Barilla, but here's a hint from the very first line of the article OP quotes:

"Guido Barilla, president of the family-owned Barilla pasta company".

Sad to say, since Barilla is not dependent only on the US market but sells all over the world, sometimes with a different trade name so consumers might not even know that they're buying a Barilla product, but I doubt they'll see a 10% drop in their quarterly sales. And not just because, as a privately-owned company, they don't have to produce quarterly results.

by Anonymousreply 23309/30/2013

r204 & others, Bertolli is NOT MADE in Italy, it's a German company now, it's UNILEVER.

I stand by what I said, real Italian foods will not be doing gay ads in our lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 23409/30/2013

well smell you!

by Anonymousreply 23509/30/2013

Went on my first grocery shopping trip since this happened and replaced Barilla with another brand.

by Anonymousreply 23609/30/2013

Actually R236, much of what is labelled 'Bertolli' IS indeed made in Italy.

The fact that various international companies now own the name seems pointless. Many of Bertolli products are indeed 'real Italian foods.'

by Anonymousreply 23709/30/2013

R239, I think the point r236 is making is that the management, who make the decisions, are not Italian.

Although, I don't think Unilever is German.

by Anonymousreply 23810/01/2013

The Pasta has always been a low quality product. Gays should not have any problem finding better quality at the same price.

by Anonymousreply 23910/01/2013

I believe Unilever is Dutch.

by Anonymousreply 24010/01/2013

Unilever is and Anglo-Dutch combine. Started as wholly Dutch many moons ago.

by Anonymousreply 24110/01/2013

you pansies need to worry less about your wounded egos and worry more about the starving masses.

Its like Oprah whining about handbags.

by Anonymousreply 24210/01/2013

Exactly right, R244! No equality for gay people until every last hungry person is fed.

I mean it's not like we can't worry about hunger AND gay equality, is it?

by Anonymousreply 24310/01/2013

gays can marry and serve openly.

by Anonymousreply 24410/01/2013

Oh, really, R246?

by Anonymousreply 24510/01/2013

this is a very gay italian ad for Althea sauces. There was a bit of controversy, but just to show you that gay ads exist in Italy. A lesbian version also exsits

by Anonymousreply 24610/01/2013

Who is still making stupid comments like this?

I have some in the cupboard but will not buy any more.

by Anonymousreply 24710/01/2013

perhaps he was misunderstood...English translation was rusty.

by Anonymousreply 24810/01/2013

Welcome to Italy!

by Anonymousreply 24910/01/2013

I've noticed more sales on Barilla products and endcap displays, FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 25010/16/2013

I've noticed that my pantry is much more attractive without those bigot boxes cluttering the shelves.

by Anonymousreply 25110/16/2013

I haven't bought pasta in ages, to be honest.

I've made it a point the last few times at the store to buy some pasta... non-Barilla pasta.

I've actually been enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 25210/16/2013

Update to the story, Nov 4th:

Barilla Pasta Announces New Company 'Diversity and Inclusion' Initiative The pasta company is making a corporate commitment to diversity with a new leadership initiative in response to earlier antigay comments made by company chairman Guido Barilla.

Italian pasta maker Barilla found itself surrounded by a storm of controversy after its chairman, Guido Barilla, said LGBT people could “go eat another brand” and had “no respect for adoption by gay families” on an Italian radio show in September. However, the company says it is now taking steps to improve its position on inclusion, diversity, and social responsibility, according to a press release.

“Diversity, inclusion and equality have long been grounded in Barilla’s culture, values and code of conduct. They are reflected in our policies and the benefits we provide to all employees, regardless of age, disability, gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation,” CEO Claudio Colzani said in the release. “At the same time, we are committed to promoting diversity further because we firmly believe that it’s the right thing to do.”

As a part of the Barilla’s renewed dedication to corporate diversity, the company has established a diversity and inclusion board that will be made up of “external experts and advocates who will help Barilla establish concrete goals and strategies for improving diversity and equality in the company’s workforce and culture with regard to sexual orientation, gender balance, disability rights and multicultural and intergenerational issues.” LGBT activist David Mixner is among those who have accepted positions on the board.

“I am encouraged by Barilla’s commitment to seek outside guidance and advice on these crucial issues and pleased to be a part of it,” Mixner said in the press release. “I am also impressed with the willingness of the Chairman and company to listen and learn from LGBT community leaders and work towards improving diversity, inclusion and equality.”

Additionally, Barilla has appointed the company’s first chief diversity officer, Talita Erickson, and will participate in the Corporate Equality Index, which was created by the Human Rights Campaign to rate companies on their policies and practices that pertain to LGBT employees.

Said Barilla spokesmand Luca Virginio: “Our goal is to do better by becoming a global corporate citizen and leader in diversity and inclusion, internally and externally.”

by Anonymousreply 25311/27/2013

Sorry. Damage done. Won't ever buy their Pasta again.

by Anonymousreply 25411/27/2013

I could give two shits about Chick-Fil-A & usually have no problem boycotting bigoted corporations. This one hurts! About 5 or 6 years ago I switched from regular pasta to whole-wheat pasta. What I found is that most of the whole-wheat pastas were horrible in taste & (especially) texture. So I decided to conduct a small taste test of my own to find the best. I was able to find about 6 or 7 different brands/varieties in my local supermarkets. Out of all of them Barilla had BY FAR the best tasting whole-wheat pasta. Since then it's been the only brand I've purchased.

I'm having a hard time letting go. If any other experienced home cooks can recommend another good whole-wheat pasta that's available in my most grocery stores I'll give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 25611/27/2013

R258, I like Dreamfields.

"Dreamfields pasta is made from the finest durum wheat semolina to give you delicious old-world taste and al dente texture for your special pasta dishes. With Dreamfields you get the healthy advantage, making Dreamfields the perfect pasta for health conscious pasta lovers."

"Our unique pasta recipe produces a lower blood sugar response when compared to traditional pasta. Plus, it's high in fiber, providing 20% of the daily recommended value in a 1-cup cooked serving. "

by Anonymousreply 25711/27/2013

I still cringe when I see this pasta at the supermarket. so done with it.

by Anonymousreply 25811/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!