Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'I was terrified to reveal my autism': Daryl Hannah opens up about her struggle to manage her disorder in Hollywood

Daryl Hannah has revealed that she was diagnosed with Autism as a child and struggled 'debilitating shyness' as a result of the disorder.

Now 52, Hannah - who reached the very peak of her profession through roles in smash hits like Splash, Blade Runner, Wall Street and Steel Magnolias - is able to quietly manage her symptoms.

But as she rose through the Hollywood hierarchy it was a different story altogether. 'I’ve never been comfortable being the center of attention,' the stunning blonde - who dated John Kennedy Jnr. - star told People. 'It’s always freaked me out.'

The Chicago reared beauty said at times her shyness would become so overwhelming that she would rock back and forward constantly.

'I’m a grown up now,' she told the magazine. 'I’ve learned a couple of things that really would’ve made my life easier if I’d known them 20 years ago.'

Hannah, who became famous as a teenager, said that she concealed her autism from movie producers and refused to do promotional interviews or talk show appearances, 'not because I was above it, but because I was terrified.'

She added: 'I wasted so much time scared, self-conscious and insecure.'

Now the limelight has moved elsewhere, the comfortable star says her roles have changed but she's happy.

With a boyfriend of three years, a rescue pig called Molly and and a farm near L.A, her life has changed dramatically.

'Life is too short to stress the small things anymore.'

by Anonymousreply 12410/04/2013

She's a much more natural actor in middle age than at the peak of her fame, but her facework is really obvious on screen.

by Anonymousreply 409/26/2013

I tried to slap the autism out of her.

by Anonymousreply 609/26/2013

Wow - I had no idea they were diagnosing people with autism 40+ years ago. She's damn near patient zero!

by Anonymousreply 709/26/2013

R6, me too!

by Anonymousreply 909/26/2013

Me too R8. Her and the chick from Four Weddings and a Funeral come across as mildly retarded.

by Anonymousreply 1009/26/2013

Wow, she's only 52? I would've guessed she was in her 60s on account of her facework.

by Anonymousreply 1309/26/2013

I'm skeptical of her claim and it's interesting to me how credulous the rest of you appear.

You guys are aware that there is no concrete test for autism (blood test, etc.)?

by Anonymousreply 1509/26/2013

I think she looks good for her age. I thought that autism wasn't widely diagnosed that long ago though. Perhaps she got a diagnosis because her parents were so wealthy (better doctors). I wonder if she told JFK Jr, or if she kept it a secret.

by Anonymousreply 1609/26/2013

The interview took five fucking hours.

'I’ve never been comfortable being the center of attention,'

'It’s always freaked me out.'

'It’s always freaked me out. freaked me out.'

'It’s always freaked me out. always always.

'It’s always freaked me out.'

by Anonymousreply 1909/26/2013

I met her about 10 years ago. She seemed incredibly awkward and uncomfortable around people, always looking down at the floor.

by Anonymousreply 2009/26/2013

This makes so much sense now. She's only ever been believable when playing characters who weren't human.

by Anonymousreply 2309/26/2013

It was clearly reveled to anyone who saw Steel Magnolias.

by Anonymousreply 2509/26/2013

I'm sceptical about her claim.

by Anonymousreply 2709/26/2013

Since she lied about having facework, which she's been having for a few decades, I am extremely skeptical of her dx. I call BS. She is an attention whore like everyone else that's a celeb.

Plus you DO NOT GROW OUT of AUTISM, ever. Not the head shaking, screaming, etc. I worked in schools, and many/most of these kids are in diapers! FOREVER!

by Anonymousreply 2809/26/2013

I'll give her credit. I opened up about living with Parkinson's, and two guys laughed at me. If I had a feeling left, it might have been hurt.

by Anonymousreply 2909/26/2013

But could she wait in the regular line at Disneyland, or did she need a GAC?

That's the true test.

by Anonymousreply 3009/26/2013

R32 - She's missing one finger, so she gets the fastpass.

by Anonymousreply 3109/26/2013

I perceived she was drawing upon some hidden personal pain to portray the mermaid in Splash, the Clan of the Cave Bear outcast and the android outcast in Blade Runner. The stony vulnerability is at the heart of her appeal.

by Anonymousreply 3209/26/2013

Right r35 - reminds me of this asshole preacher that has a blog that said he as a fetus pleaded with his mother not to take the abortion PILL!!!! He was born in ww2 era, it's like wtf? That wasn't even invented till decades later.

by Anonymousreply 3409/26/2013

I could swear that she once claimed that she is/was/whatever dyslexic. She'll do anything to hide that missing finger!

by Anonymousreply 3509/26/2013

r37 you're not imagining that. She said she was dyslexic in the past. It's beginning to look to me like Darryl has Munchausen by Proxy on herself, she gets the diseases du jour. Oh and she's never had plastic...riiiight.

by Anonymousreply 3609/26/2013

She has PTSD from being with Buster Browne.

by Anonymousreply 3709/26/2013

Isn't Browne with Bonnie Raitt? Hard to believe she'd put up with crap at her age.

by Anonymousreply 3809/26/2013

Bonnie Raitt isn't a lesbian? (Or is Jackson Browne really a lesbian in disguise?)

by Anonymousreply 3909/26/2013

But r44 - she's not autistic. End of.

by Anonymousreply 4309/26/2013

I just thought about this... I'm terrified to reveal that I know this much about Daryl Hannah. It's the fucking fake finger, I swear. I'll sit through terrible movies trying to spot it. (I also wondered if she and Scotty from Star Trek would swap them from time to time.)

by Anonymousreply 4409/26/2013

So, JFK was dating an Aspie and Jackie caught on early. She was like that, that Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 4509/26/2013

I so want to click your link but I know how it is when I get sucked into Webmd. It literally is our owner's manual but I have a shade of hypochondriac running deeply inside me and I can't spend too much time on the boards there. I do that at DL as well. Addictive.

by Anonymousreply 4609/26/2013

Daryl, on the outside looking in:

by Anonymousreply 4709/26/2013

Jackie was aware that autism is genetic and wanted a fighting chance for her grandchildren. Can't fault Jackie there.

by Anonymousreply 4809/26/2013

R48: Once you go black, er, shade...

by Anonymousreply 4909/26/2013

R53: Is ASD the new term for "Asspie"? My partner has Assburger's Bullshit, and he can get away with murder just using that made up mess.

by Anonymousreply 5209/26/2013

I know an aspie now but earlier I couldn't get the hate for them that is all over the net. They usually have annoying ticks due to their oblivious nature and there's always them feeling comfortable and righteous in correcting everybody.The rigidity forces most relationships down the toilet. I get the hate for them but then back up a little when I realize their true intention is to help us. They think they're helping us because they aren't aware that they are flying blind. I'm sorry but that is just one annoying ass trait. Stop it!

by Anonymousreply 5409/26/2013

She claims to not be an aspie but a rocker/screamer as a child and miraculously "outgrew" it, I call bs on that.

by Anonymousreply 5509/26/2013

R56: I've lived with one since we met our first day at college. I've learned only one lesson since that day. AN ASSPIE CAN NEVER BE WRONG (even when they are). That, however, is just not fucking possible. They'll bend space and time to be right.

I may want to put a pillow over his face at night, but I love the self righteous prick.

by Anonymousreply 5709/26/2013

I can believe that about Cruise.

R56 my Aspie relative has the same trait, righteously correcting everyone. He's also very rigid and has had tremendous problems relating to others. It's a real diagnosis, if Hannah was made aware of it for herself later in life she's lucky.

by Anonymousreply 5809/26/2013

[quote]I could swear that she once claimed that she is/was/whatever dyslexic. She'll do anything to hide that missing finger!

Just how many defective genes does she have?? Did her parents stop this obviously horrible bloodline after this tragedy?

by Anonymousreply 5909/26/2013

And she's missing a finger, Mr. Hitler. It never fucking ends. Beethoven was deaf!

by Anonymousreply 6009/26/2013

r63: Look for the missing finger. It's so creepy.

by Anonymousreply 6209/26/2013

R59, do you feel like me as well? Like you went out and adopted a special needs, 5 yr. old kid? They're lazy as hell when home, too. They have trouble getting motivated for the real world. They hate being down that hole and it frustrates them as well. Intervention at any age is worth it because they make excellent students when we've got their attention. This we know.

by Anonymousreply 6309/26/2013

[quote] and more widely used to describe people like Daryl Hannah since the 1940s

Darryl Hannah would not be referred to as having autism in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s or 1980s.

She might be told she is somewhere on the autism spectrum disorder scale in the 1990s, 2000s or 2010s.

I never saw a diagnosis of autism in psychiatric hospitals or developmental centers in the 1970s. Not one. But I saw a lot of diagnoses of childhood psychosis, childhood schizophrenia, mental retardation and profound mental retardation. No adults or children were diagnosed autistic, though thousands certainly were what we now call autistic. Rainman would have been diagnosed a schizophrenic with obsessive compulsive behavior and intrusive thoughts.

The children and adults with the football helmets who banged their heads against the wall were believed to be profoundly mentally retarded. Other people we would call autistic were thought to have been brain damaged at birth or in utero by hypoxia.

I really felt for the staff at developmental centers. There were no helpful treatments for the patients and the patients were extremely difficult and often violent. It was a job that could drive you crazy after a while. I don't know how they did it every day. Imagine having a large room of untreated autistic patients and only 2 or 3 health aides overseeing them. It was warehousing. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 6409/26/2013

A true Aspie wouldn't have the requisite empathy to be a convincing actor. ASD is like fibromyalgia for the creative set. So tired of hearing about it.

by Anonymousreply 6609/26/2013

Amen Ms. R68 - I call them Sociopaths Without Manners. Find a situation they can't squirm out of, really.

by Anonymousreply 6709/26/2013

"A true Aspie wouldn't have the requisite empathy to be a convincing actor."

Nobody ever said Darryl Hannah was a good actor!

Her career has been built on her looks, and a certain vulnerability and likeability. Not skill.

by Anonymousreply 6809/26/2013

Why are you here R71? Clearly you're slumming it.

by Anonymousreply 7009/26/2013

Would someone with Aspergers be concerned enough with their looks to get PS?

by Anonymousreply 7109/26/2013

R71 Being gay is not a disorder.

Nice try though, genius.

by Anonymousreply 7209/26/2013

R73: Yes, they love themselves in the deepest and most shallow way.

by Anonymousreply 7309/26/2013

Are you too illiterate to read that Darryl Hannah says she was diagnosed with autism as a child? Meaning, like, at least 40 years ago? There's no way she would have been diagnosed with autism as a child.

by Anonymousreply 7509/26/2013

Where the fuck did that come from, R78? Were you Daryl Hannah's foster at some point? Care to share with the group?

by Anonymousreply 7709/26/2013

Sexy? She is the opposite of sexy, less appealing than Goopy. Daryl is beautiful, but unsexy.

by Anonymousreply 7809/26/2013

But she will not let that personal tragedy interfere with her ability to do good hair!

by Anonymousreply 7909/26/2013

I've always felt she was unsexy, too. Her body is just ... Not nice.

by Anonymousreply 8009/26/2013

Daryl is definitely sexy. Her screen persona during youth suggested frightened, animalistic tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 8109/26/2013

R86: I'm not an Asspie/headcase, my partner is. I'm just a cunt who's in bed with the flu (despite planning to get a flu shot before the Asspie decided to fly to some cornfield state to see his Mommy). I'm just a foolish guy with a bit of a nerd fetish, and my doctor couldn't make a house call in time.

by Anonymousreply 8409/26/2013

What other actresses besides Daryl and Marion Cotillard have amputations? And why is her name Daryl?

by Anonymousreply 8509/26/2013

It's not as big a deal for women, especially ones who were considered sex symbols back in their day, like Daryl Hannah was. I don't know what the big deal is.

by Anonymousreply 8709/26/2013

Her bf of 3 years is another skinny, long-legged actor with big lips. The sexy Paul Blackthorne, a middling actor with a deep voice.

by Anonymousreply 8909/26/2013

Great... now Goopy is here. Loving Fuckly. See... you Asspies are why they hate you. They hate lesbians because of nutloaf. They hate Cheryl for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 9009/26/2013

'I’ve never been comfortable being the center of attention,' the stunning blonde - who dated John Kennedy Jnr. - star told People. 'It’s always freaked me out.'

Maybe she shouldn't have gone into acting.

by Anonymousreply 9109/26/2013

I've rather always liked Daryl. She's an heiress isn't she ? Didn't need to go into acting for the money, I guess she just likes doing it (since she isn't in it for 'the attention' either). Interesting news.

by Anonymousreply 9209/26/2013

Nonsense. If you can't stand being the center of attention then you don't go into a profession where the object is to get people to notice you.

A post office night shift job is the ideal profession for people with autism.

by Anonymousreply 9509/26/2013

And you're an expert, R99.

Daryl Hannah is a high functioning moron.

by Anonymousreply 9809/26/2013

I'm horrified to reveal yellow waxy buildup on my linoleum so I can relate.

by Anonymousreply 9909/26/2013

R101: Does that make Goopy Paltrow the High Priestess of Morons?

by Anonymousreply 10009/26/2013

I always liked Daryl as the slinky, freaked out performance artist in "Legal Eagles". Redford had to have that.

by Anonymousreply 10309/26/2013

Well one of her other sisters has been married to Lou Adler for ages and has several kids by him. There's like a 30 year age difference between them. I find him and his other offspring gross, personally.

by Anonymousreply 10509/26/2013

Every interview I've read of Daryl Hannah she's claimed that she was "semi-autistic" as a child. This is not brand new information.

by Anonymousreply 10609/26/2013

R111: Dipshit, I was talking about my PARTNER (see the post about two up for the context). Don't trip on your prolapsed asshole as you leave, really.

by Anonymousreply 10909/26/2013

R18, would you so kindly give us an example? Daryl, you say.

Stunningly beautiful like Mia Farrow's son Ronan or sacha whatever? The as[ies i've know were always clumsy and did retarded things with their hands, just short of flapping. They were never good at sports. Although I did see a special on 13 back ya'll titled "Refrigerator moms". Back in the 70s, doctors blamed the spectrum on moms being cold and callus when often the gene was passed by the dad. remember one son who had it bad was hot. he's the only one i can think of.

scroll down for full flick.

by Anonymousreply 11009/27/2013

I want her house.

by Anonymousreply 11109/27/2013

So what, she's inherited tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, in addition to her movie earnings. If she wants to spend her days staring at a spinning things and rocking back and forth, she can afford to.

by Anonymousreply 11309/27/2013

This certainly explains a lot.

Isn't acting a strange career choice for an autistic person? It seems like the entire vocation centers around understanding emotions and emotional responses. Given that Darryl Hannah was never known for her acting chops (and was roundly criticized for that lacking) I think it's a strange choice for an autistic person. She coasted on her looks for a while but no one would hire her now.

by Anonymousreply 11409/27/2013

BUMP for poster too autistic to do a search

by Anonymousreply 11510/01/2013

[R68] is confusing Aspergers with Sociopathy.

People with Aspergers have trouble picking up social cues and understanding how others think, but they do exhibit empathy.

I have taught a few people with Aspergers in acting classes over the years. They can have problems with performing but empathy is not the issue. Rather it is an inability to understand what behavior reveals.

So while they may not recognize that you are sad from your demeanor, once they know that your father passed away, they understand that you might be in real pain.

(And one Aspie told me he could identify when someone is lying more easily than the rest of us. I discovered that he was indeed correct about this on many occasions.)

One of the better known performers with Aspergers is Mo Rocca. He is witty and shows feeling for others in his work, but always comes across as pedantic or odd in his behavior. That is pretty typical in my experience. Daryl Hannah's otherworldiness and eccentricity as a performer also seem in line with what I observed.

But describing someone without a "theory of mind" as being unempathetic...well I guess if you see people as robots that makes sense. But just because someone needs you to be explicit about what you are feeling does not mean they cannot empathize.

by Anonymousreply 11610/01/2013

[quote] And one Aspie told me he could identify when someone is lying more easily than the rest of us. I discovered that he was indeed correct about this on many occasions

Why was this an aside? You should have made it central to your long post.

by Anonymousreply 11710/01/2013

R107 I LOL'd.

by Anonymousreply 11810/01/2013

Where did you bitches get the idea that autism only became a diagnosis in the late 1970s? It's been around as a term and diagnosis since the 1940s and before.

by Anonymousreply 11910/01/2013

I think this explains Keanu Reeves a bit too. Beautiful bad actors unite!

by Anonymousreply 12010/04/2013

Isn't it weird that Sandy Bullock is only three years younger than her?

by Anonymousreply 12110/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.