Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's your right to fully recline your seat on an airplane.

Buy a first class ticket if you have a problem with that! I just read a thread where someone posted it's a "lack of character". Puhleeze, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 19809/29/2013

If you know you are mashing or "schmushing" the person behind you, it's rude, rude, rude. People should have consideration for each other. This sense of arrogant entitlement is offputting.

by Anonymousreply 109/26/2013

I was flying home from Greece, ten hour flight. The person in front of me had reclined their seat, so I did as well. The passenger behind me called the stewardess and complained that he didn't have room. He didn't speak english. It took a few minutes to get him to understand that he too could recline. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 209/26/2013

I agree R1. However, the whiney bitch I'm referring to said "anyone over 5'9" will be in active distress and in agony" if the person in front of them fully reclines. Stop being a drama queen. That simply isn't true. I'm 5'10". I've had people in front of me to fully recline and I was no longer able to work on my laptop. However, that was their right. That was my cue to stop working and relax too.

by Anonymousreply 309/26/2013

R3, ok, that makes sense. And, YES, sometimes when the person in front reclines, I just use that as a chance to relax, too. Totally get that.

by Anonymousreply 409/26/2013

I am 6'3 and am always in agony on an airplane unless I sit in row where the emergency exits are. Airlines continue to whittle away as much room as they can and it is beyond acceptable regardless of the reclining seats. Comfort has not been a concern for these airlines since sometime in the 1990's. Making the problem be solved by the passengers cooperating is adding insult to injury.

by Anonymousreply 609/26/2013

It's what happens, R6, when everyone wants to fly to __________ for $99 round trip. The airlines have to make it up somehow.

by Anonymousreply 709/26/2013

In that case R5, I would ask very nicely. It IS their right to fully recline. I CHOSE to work on my laptop. I had a presentation I was preparing.

by Anonymousreply 809/26/2013

If you don't ask them not to recline, you're being a passive aggressive asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1209/26/2013

I'd have to laugh R9. I suppose I have a sick sense of humor. I can find humor in just about every situation. Seriously, I feel it's my right to fully recline. However, ask me nicely and I have no problem with putting my seat back up. Even if the person in front of me is fully reclined.

by Anonymousreply 1309/26/2013

I was in first recently and a humungous frau (no doubt from Dallas based on here bedazzled shirt and big hair) brought 2 fucking cats with her. She had to weigh about 350 pounds and she was not a tall woman. And she had two screeching and hissing cats packed into one little pet carry on thing.

As she waddled on board, the entire first class cabin was looking at her like OMG don't let that THING sit near me. The cats were hissing and growling as she snaked her way to the last seat in first, plopped the cats in the floor and settled in.

It was disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 1609/26/2013

I really don't think people are intentionally being assholes when they recline. It's just our differences in perception, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1709/26/2013

Most people aren't as tall as you R15. I enjoy reclining my seat but I would respect your predicament and keep my seat upright.

by Anonymousreply 1809/26/2013

Airlines allow reclining seats for a reason - to recline. If they didn't want you to, then they wouldn't be there.

by Anonymousreply 2109/26/2013

OP was commenting on this obnoxious, pretentious asshole who claimed to be in agony when the seat is fully reclined in front of him. He's only 5"9". He said it was a lack of character to fully recline. Even if they slowly recline, on a 6 hour flight and in the middle of the night. I saw his posting. DRAMA QUEEN!!!

by Anonymousreply 2209/26/2013

Flying sucks.

by Anonymousreply 2809/26/2013

I'm 6'1" and have no problem with the people in front of me reclining.

by Anonymousreply 2909/26/2013

I don't think that is listed in the Bill of Rights.

by Anonymousreply 3009/26/2013

Why is it the person's behind you problem that you're a hulking 6'3".

You should've stopped growing at a reasonable height if you thought that you might be flying on an airplane with reclining seats at some point in the future, jerkamo.

by Anonymousreply 3109/26/2013

Reclining seats are meant to be used on long haul flights while everyone else is reclined. Sleeping.

by Anonymousreply 3209/26/2013

Whenever I've reclined on a long flight to try to sleep, I find it very uncomfortable. I get a pain in my lower back. Stuffing one of those little pillows behind me doesn't help.

I have long legs but a relatively short torso, so the head rests annoy me as well. I always feel like head is being pushed forward. A while ago I read an article about the ergonomics of the seat, ie the size of the "average" person for whom it is designed and all I can remember is that it wasn't me and it wasn't anyone else I knew.

When the three seats in front are fully reclined and everyone is sleeping, a few times I've had the window seat passenger stand up in his seat and then step on the armrests to get out. I'm always on the aisle because I don't think I could pull that off without falling.

by Anonymousreply 3309/26/2013

What about pissing in the aisle?

by Anonymousreply 3409/26/2013

r33 –

You sound like you've got King Tuts's dysmorphia. Good luck with it, freak.

by Anonymousreply 3509/26/2013

I bought one of these Knee Defenders to prevent the person in front of me from leaning all the way back when my tray is down.

These are perfectly legal by the way. If it's his right to recline his seat as far as it will go, it's equally my right to use this to prevent the seat from reclining too far.

by Anonymousreply 3609/26/2013

The issue isn't actually whether or not someone has a "right" to recline an airline seat.

The issue is whether or not it is acceptable and/or desirable to be oblivious to the other people around you. Nowadays, this kind of casual rudeness and contempt for others seems to be acceptable, I find it appalling.

by Anonymousreply 3809/26/2013

Sorry, I insulted you incorrectly.

I should have said Pharaoh Akhenaten's Dysmorphia.

by Anonymousreply 3909/26/2013

R38 is exactly the type of whiny bitch OP is talking about

by Anonymousreply 4009/26/2013

You're exactly the kind of ill-mannered cunt I was talking about, R40.

by Anonymousreply 4109/26/2013

Girls, girls! You are both whiny,bitchy cunts.

by Anonymousreply 4209/26/2013

It's not a [bold]right[/bold] to fully recline your airplane seat any more than it's the right of the person seated behind you to kick the living shit out the seat in front of him.

A decent person recognizes that his actions in so tight a space might have repercussions. A small-minded person claims "rights" to whatever he wants to do as his way of saying "fuck you" to everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 4309/26/2013

extract the stick wedged up your ass R38/R41

by Anonymousreply 4409/26/2013

R43 The stewardess instructed the passenger to fully recline her seat. That's what the button is for. Therefore, it IS her right to push the fucking button and recline as the stewardess instructed. You're an ass.

by Anonymousreply 4509/26/2013

Yes, OP, it is a complete lack of character that you and others like you display.

R11 and R20 are correct.

And as R20 points out, reclining does not bring much comfort at all. Not enough comfort to ruin the trip of the person behind you.

To do so is rude, obnoxious, narcissistic, and lacking in character and consideration, and shows contempt.

You, OP, would be perfectly fine and comfortable if seats did not recline at all.

You just recline to try to dominate like an animal and to try to lord domination over others. You're an animal without critical thinking ability.

by Anonymousreply 4609/26/2013

R43 explains it very well.

OP and others like him are not decent people.

by Anonymousreply 4709/26/2013

The seat reclines. The flight attendants never say don't recline your seat, except for takeoff and landing. So, you can do it! If it pisses you off so much, write a letter to Boeing. If you recline your seat also, it won't seem so bad. Or you can be a holier than thou cunt and sit there and stew about how mad you are that the seat in front of you is reclined then come home and post something on DL.

by Anonymousreply 4809/26/2013

R45, we are not talking about that one incident. We are talking about reclining, not just the details of that one incident. We don't care about that one incident.

And R45, R43 is talking about reclining in general, not that one incident.

We can see you didn't read the whole thread.

by Anonymousreply 4909/26/2013

"Lighten the fuck up"???

Pot, meet kettle.

by Anonymousreply 5109/26/2013

Having knees smashed up against the back of someone reclining in front of you is not only agony, it ruins the trip and can result in deep vein thrombosis which is very serious and can be deadly.

by Anonymousreply 5209/26/2013

I've been a bitch about it, pushing it back as far as possible on purpose and making a production of it, when I've been getting kneed in the back and shoved from behind and shit like that. I'm 6'3 so flying is torture for me if I'm not in first class. You can't even escape by getting a bulkhead seat with no seat ahead of you because they often stick mothers with infants up there. Have you ever had a child behind you who enjoys kicking the seat ahead of them the whole flight? I've said something to the little bastards, frau fury response be damned. Hey whatever happened to that guy who slapped the toddler and said 'Shut up your little n*gger'?

by Anonymousreply 5309/26/2013

Didn't Paul Lynde threaten to fuck the kid kicking his seat once?

by Anonymousreply 5409/26/2013

R52 Wow! That post explains it all. Now I just feel sorry for you.

by Anonymousreply 5509/26/2013

I'm 6ft 5in and if someone reclines all the way back I will just ram my knees into the back of their seat. IF they get offended, I tell them how tall I am and this is the only way I can sit comfortably while giving them a vacant stare. That does the trick as they think I'm psycho and they pull their seat up. Situation resolved.

by Anonymousreply 5609/26/2013

Limp-dicked Paul Lynde could not fuck anyone.

by Anonymousreply 5709/26/2013

R56 I will blank stare you right back and tell you to meet me in the restroom. I love tall men.

by Anonymousreply 5809/26/2013

On international or cross-country flights, I turn around and ASK the person behind me if I've reclined my seat too far for their comfort.

It's not hard to do that.

by Anonymousreply 5909/26/2013

I take my size 12's off and stick my sweaty black athletic sock clad foot on their armrest if they recline all the way back.

I might get punched, I might get a date. You never know.

by Anonymousreply 6009/26/2013

Haha!!! I love you R60

by Anonymousreply 6109/26/2013

Agreed R32 - there's no reason for full reclining unless it's a long flight or overnight.

It's fucking rude and OP is an entitled asshole trying to justify himself.

by Anonymousreply 6209/26/2013

R62 Judgmental much?

by Anonymousreply 6309/26/2013

I love you, 48!

by Anonymousreply 6409/26/2013

Anyone reclines back on me and I just spread my legs open to accommodate. The results are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 6509/26/2013

If it really gets your panties in that much of a twist girls, then insist that the airline place you at the bulkhead or behind the exit row since their seats are unable to recline. It's stupid to think that everyone thinks the way you do and won't recline their seat on a flight. I wish I had your life, where apparently you have to create imaginary problems to stew over.

by Anonymousreply 6609/26/2013

You could make sure that you sit in front of a hot young fellow, recline all the way back almost putting your head in his lap, look back at him and smile and make a joke about it being too bad that you aren't a little lower -- and facing the other way!

by Anonymousreply 6709/26/2013

Yes R66!!! I love you!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6809/26/2013

Where do you get the idea that one can get whatever seat you happen to want?

It is very rarely possible to get whatever seat you happen to want.

ridiculous thinking

by Anonymousreply 6909/26/2013

"ridiculous thinking" Pot, meet kettle.

by Anonymousreply 7009/26/2013

Oh good lord, do I have to teach you bitches everything?

Next time you are at your doctor, you come up with some bullshit thing like back pain or migraines, something they can't test for. Explain that you have a flight soon and are afraid of how you'll manage. Politely request a very short note for the airline. Better yet, have one already drafted that just needs to be printed on their letterhead and signed.

Now as soon as you book your flight, you call the airline. Do not be demanding. Honey gets you farther than vinegar. Explain that you have a doctor's note, that you need a certain seat due to medical necessity, blah blah blah. If you get a cunt, hang up and repeat. So you may have to call a couple times, maybe even talk to a manager.

Now, you have to call in to confirm at either 48 or 24 hours before the flight. Even if the seat is flagged as 'special needs' other people come in and overwrite it anyway. That's just life. And guess what? You have to repeat the process in person when you get to the airport, so get your ass there early.

Now at this point you want to reply and say 'That won't work!' or 'But that's so haaarrrdd, why can't they just not recline their seat??' and to you I say fuck off, I don't have time for the nay sayers or the lazy asses. If this reclining seat thing is really SO awful, that it's going to ruin your trip and make your leg veins burst or whatever bullshit you all are posting, then the steps that I described really aren't that much extra work to ensure that you don't have someone recline in front of you.

How the hell do you people get through life? I would hate to be your partner. I just picture 24/7 bitching and moaning about every damn little thing. It'd be hell. Worse than someone reclining a seat onto me, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 7109/26/2013

Seriously, a passenger cannot be seated anywhere he desires.

Why are you insisting a passenger being squashed by a reclining person can just be easily re-seated in the bulkhead, at the exit, or behind the exit seats?

It would be rarely possible. Those seats you refer to are almost always full. They are the first seats to fill up in online reservations.

Why are you acting like this is the solution?

by Anonymousreply 7209/26/2013

We had this discussion a couple of years ago. It was one of the funniest, most entertaining DL threads. The bickering was to die for!

by Anonymousreply 7309/26/2013

I am anxiously awaiting R71's reply to R72

by Anonymousreply 7409/26/2013

The people in this thread are the ones that wait in line for rides at Disney World and other amusement parks. They don't take advantage of the Fast Pass systems. They don't realize that it's worth it to pay a few bucks extra to get priority to get into stuff. And they certainly wouldn't have done something like get a fake cast or rent a disabled kid for the day like some people were doing. That's ruined now that it's been in the news.

I recommend no cruises for you folks. When Costa Concordia crew said 'There's no emergency, return to your cabins' as the ship began to lean to one side, your dumb asses would have done it. I can picture you now, sitting in your cabin, no electricity, no lights, water level starting to rise at your feet, and you just sitting on the bed getting madder and madder about it but doing nothing. Maybe if you had a wireless connection, you could make one last DL post to bitch and moan about it.

by Anonymousreply 7509/26/2013

R75 BAM!!!!! I knew you wouldn't let me down.

by Anonymousreply 7609/26/2013

R66 You have just illustrated the same kind of lack of compassion for your fellow tall travellers that you are accusing OP and his tall friends of. If I was 5'9 with short man syndrome like you have, I would be happy to let whomever, recline in front of me cause then I could see over the damn seat. The point is that the amount of leg room is finite on an airplane and the airlines have continually added more seats to all their flights cheap or otherwise making it the problem of the passengers to sort out just like the arm rests. People are getting taller,it is a fact,so this problem is not going away. When you put you seat back down carelessly you render the seat behind you impossible to sit in for anyone over 6'2 with long legs.

by Anonymousreply 7709/26/2013

R38 is right.

by Anonymousreply 7809/26/2013

Economy seats are NOT one-size-fits-all. Airlines should require at check-in for persons of height to purchase a seat with more legroom.

by Anonymousreply 7909/26/2013

I'VE GOT IT!! The "I am solicitous of others' comfort" passengers sit on the port side of the plane. The "I paid for this seat and I'll recline if I want to" passengers sit on the starboard side. Everybody wins!

by Anonymousreply 8009/26/2013

A question for the people who are against others reclining their seats: if the person in front of you reclines his or her seat, why don't you just recline yours? Doesn't that restore the same relative amount of space per seat, more or less?

by Anonymousreply 8109/27/2013

R81, no, it does not.

by Anonymousreply 8209/27/2013

"To do so is rude, obnoxious, narcissistic, and lacking in character and consideration, and shows contempt"

No you simpleton, it's none of that. You're just a baby who is having a rant about something you can't control.

"You just recline to try to dominate like an animal and to try to lord domination over others. You're an animal without critical thinking ability"

No, I'm a passenger who has a right to recline. You're the one who has a problem with no power to control my choice to do so.

"The issue is whether or not it is acceptable and/or desirable to be oblivious to the other people around you. Nowadays, this kind of casual rudeness and contempt for others seems to be acceptable, I find it appalling"

You poor delicate flower. Stay home, no one has time for your petty grievances. It's not rude to use the facilities as intended. The seats recline, people (for whatever reason) recline. Man up!

"Having knees smashed up against the back of someone reclining in front of you is not only agony, it ruins the trip and can result in deep vein thrombosis which is very serious and can be deadly"

Then you have a medical condition and need to sit all by yourself or in another cabin where your condition can be accommodated.

Ramming your knees into my seat does not do the trick. It's hardly noticeable compared to the deep sleep I'm probably having and you're probably just stewing in your anger and bruising your knees.

by Anonymousreply 8309/27/2013

R[81] it doesn't matter. the complainers are the type of people who think every aspect of their lives should be to their liking. If something doesn't gel, they get their panties in a twist and complain till someone in authority tells them, in so many words, to STFU. It's about control and they don't have any. that's their real problem.

by Anonymousreply 8409/27/2013

I don't know why we're arguing with a bunch of filthy midgets anyway. Recline your seat all the way back so you can play with your wee winky dollies up there, but be forewarned that I'm gonna have to drive my pointy manly man knees straight thru the fabric and into your brain because of it. Them's the breaks, dwarf person.

by Anonymousreply 8509/27/2013

What a horror flying commercial. I normally fly business or first for work, but had to catch a last minute flight London - NYC and was stuck in a coach seat. Not only did the fucker in front of me smash his seat into my knees but the Brit cunt to my left was plucking her eyebrows, her right elbow bobbing directly in front of my face. Then I got attitude from the fat queen flight attendant when I asked to change my seat.

I dream of owning a Gulfstream 550. Beautiful machine.

by Anonymousreply 8609/27/2013

God, you people sound poor (and fat).

by Anonymousreply 8709/27/2013

[quote]I really don't think people are intentionally being assholes when they recline. It's just our differences in perception, R11.

Possibly. I usually assume anyone who reclines their seat all the way back -- unless on an overnight, international/transcontinental flight -- is either a clueless rube who doesn't fly very often, or a self-centered fucktard whose only concern is his own personal comfort.

In any event, nobody ever does this in front of *me* because I come prepared. (See link.)

by Anonymousreply 8809/27/2013

[15}: I'm 6'4" too and I would never consider kneeing the back of the seat in front of me. I hate it when it happens to me, which is all the time. The entitled cunts in this world

by Anonymousreply 8909/27/2013

When they fully recline, punch them in their face!

by Anonymousreply 9009/27/2013

I had absolutely no idea that anyone would object to this. I did have one flight when a woman of slight stature jammed her knees into the back if my seat the entire flight, and I just thought there was something mentally wrong with her. Didn't it occur to her to just recline her own seat and relax? She must have been very uncomfortable, and at her size, it must gave been quite an effort to position herself they way she did. As for me, I'm 6'2" and recline the seat most if the time.

I am happy to see that the majority of responses here seem to favor using the "recline" feature on the chairs, if one so chooses. But now I will at least know that there is a minority if people who get all bent out if shape about it, and I will keep that in mind when I fly in the future.

by Anonymousreply 9109/27/2013

Certain topics suddenly become hot topics on DL, for no apparent reason.

What's up with the flight attendants-are-cunts and passengers-are-assholes threads?

If your position requires frequent travel, why not look for another job?

My friends in such positions LOVE being flown around the country/world and being lodged in luxury hotels.

I have a beautiful office but I'd actually accept less money for the opportunity to travel more often.

by Anonymousreply 9209/27/2013

I think everyone agrees that the airlines have made flying hell for passengers. Customers can complain, but unfortunately I don't see it impacting the industry much.

The people who expect everyone else to cater to their every whim when they fly need to get a grip though.

by Anonymousreply 9309/27/2013

R91 I didn't realize this was an issue either. I'm a recliner. Now we have air rage?

by Anonymousreply 9409/27/2013

OF COURSE the "recliners" among us didn't realize this was an issue!!!

thoughtless pigs.

by Anonymousreply 9509/27/2013

R39, on an iPhone your link leads to a pageful of ads.

by Anonymousreply 9609/27/2013

R95 No, I'm simply not a whiny, bitchy control freak like you.

by Anonymousreply 9709/27/2013

I just think it would be much better for everyone if the airlines got rid of the seats and installed hammocks in their planes.

by Anonymousreply 9809/27/2013

Not even reading the thread.

It's obnoxious in the extreme to recline your seat to its fullest extent with zero regard for the passenger behind you FULL STOP.

There's no debating this. You are crowded into a confined space with people who have exactly the same rights as you. Your right to the personal space of your choosing ends exactly where someone else's right to any personal space at all begins. You are well aware that reclining your seat all the way will infringe on the personal space of the person behind you. To do so anyway shows flagrant disregard for the rights of other people.

Whenever this happens to me I make a point if exiting my seat frequently, grabbing the headrest of the seat in front of me and forcefully hoisting myself to my feet. I push down hard to make sure the seat back bounces and jolts the asshole in front of me. When re-entering my seat I do the same in reverse, going out of my way to knock and jostle the asshole' s seat back as I squeeze myself back into my truncated row. I also can never decide in these situations: serving tray up or down? How 'bout we just alternate constantly throughout the flight? Oh, this thing is [SLAM] Just! [Violent shake] So! [RATTLE] Clumsy! [SLAM]

by Anonymousreply 9909/27/2013

Hammocks would be good. Seats along the sides like a military transport would be good. Obviously less seats for them so less profit. Boo hoo. They should let Conrad Murray out of jail and have him train nurses to propofol airline passengers until they reach their destination. You could pack them in pods and they'd more or less become cargo.

by Anonymousreply 10009/27/2013

R99 "How the hell do you people get through life? I would hate to be your partner. I just picture 24/7 bitching and moaning about every damn little thing. It'd be hell. Worse than someone reclining a seat onto me, for sure."

"The seat reclines. The flight attendants never say don't recline your seat, except for takeoff and landing. So, you can do it! If it pisses you off so much, write a letter to Boeing. If you recline your seat also, it won't seem so bad. Or you can be a holier than thou cunt and sit there and stew about how mad you are that the seat in front of you is reclined then come home and post something on DL."

by Anonymousreply 10109/27/2013

On United's flights, the seats only recline an inch anyway. Imperceptible.

by Anonymousreply 10209/27/2013

r99, come and sit by me. :>

by Anonymousreply 10309/27/2013

Honestly, I hate when people in front of me recline their seats, but never complain--they did, after all, pay as much for their seat as I did, knowing that (unless they're in the last row) they'd be able to recline their seat. I don't really feel like I have the right to complain about something we all know in advance is a feature of the flight.

by Anonymousreply 10409/27/2013

In a related story:

by Anonymousreply 10509/27/2013

With someone's head in you lap, can't you just peer over them and hum or eat a bag of chips while giving commentary on the plastic surgery you'd advise?

You are Professional Data Lounge Cunts. You are used to being abused and you haven't learned to give it back?

Turn in your badge.

by Anonymousreply 10609/27/2013

I don't like it when people blow the air when the plane's chilly. I don't like it when people bring their dogs even in carriers. I don't like it when people drink alcohol. Stop for a couple/few hours, you fucking lush. I'd prefer if none of these things were allowed. But they are all allowed.

We all do things that annoy other people on planes. You just have to fucking put up with it. At least you can ask the person in front of you to not recline. It's not like I can ask someone to remove their yippy, stinky dog.

by Anonymousreply 10709/27/2013

R107, a lot of people drink because they are afraid of flying.

by Anonymousreply 10809/27/2013

R107, a lot of people use the fan because they have gas due to the fact they are afraid of flying.

by Anonymousreply 10909/27/2013

Flying home from Europe on Air France, something I'll never do again, the person in front of me was fully reclined - and this included during meal time, until the flight attendant had the person raise his seat in order to take nourishment. In order to get out of my seat, since it's Air France and where most airlines have three seats, they put four, I had to throw my legs over the armrest and get out that way. I blame the airlines for the discomfort. I never asked the person to get his head out of my lap, but I was looking forward to the meal. That's until I realized he planned to stay that way permanently.

by Anonymousreply 11009/27/2013

Fear causes gas?

Only on Datalounge...

by Anonymousreply 11109/27/2013

We're talking about three inches in coach, folks. It's not a bed like on a Dreamliner.

by Anonymousreply 11209/27/2013

Bah I fly first domestic on United and if the person fully reclines in front of me I cannot get my tray out. It is always the people in the first row who have all the leg room in the world who fully recline. I flew from vegas to miami once and there was a family in first in all four seats in front of me. The seat directly in front of me was a 6 year old child. The second we took off this little shit full reclines her seat into my face and falls asleep (something she could have done without reclining).

by Anonymousreply 11309/27/2013

[quote]We're talking about three inches in coach, folks.

Three inches is a lot when there's only 10 inches between your nose and the seat back in the upright position. I also think it's more like 5 inches, made worse when their head is practically in your lap once they recline.

Honestly, I could perform dental surgery on the asshole sitting in front of me with his seat extended back fully.

by Anonymousreply 11409/27/2013

No, R91, your supposition that the majority of responses here seem to favor using the "recline" feature on the chairs, if one so chooses, is NOT accurate.

Most of the posts in favor of reclining are from just ONE very adamant hostile angry person in favor of reclining and he is incensed that his boorish behavior is being questioned and criticized.

He has written multiple posts, along with a 2nd person who agrees with him.

Most posts point out that reclining infringes in a myriad of ways.

by Anonymousreply 11509/27/2013

All of you saying that a person has no right to recline their seat all the way are ridiculous. That's what the seat was designed for. If youre too big to sit in your seat without having a reclined seat bother you, then that's your problem and you should pay for more leg room.

You are the same bitches that would complain if someone heavier set spilled into another seat. If you cant fit comfortably, thats your problem.

You bitches are the type that probably go to a concert and complain that the person in front of you chooses to stand.

by Anonymousreply 11609/27/2013

The recliners are the same people who don't consider others when their dog is outside barking its head off. The recliners are the same people who plop down in the aisle seat on the subway when the window seat is open. Recliners drive slow in the left lane and won't move over. See the pattern?

by Anonymousreply 11709/27/2013

Are they....mug huggers, R117?

by Anonymousreply 11809/27/2013

R117, I don't do any of those things but I do recline slowly when I feel like it. I'm will to bet though that R116 is right that the anti-reclining people will complain that heavier people need to buy an extra seat while they themselves refuse to see that they need to pay for more space too.

by Anonymousreply 11909/27/2013

R117 hits the nail on the head. Inconsiderate, all about me, and lack of compassion.

by Anonymousreply 12009/27/2013

There are very very few seats on an airplane with more leg room.

by Anonymousreply 12109/27/2013

Most people cannot afford to buy a first class airplane seat that cost $1000 or $1500 or more, or even $700 to $1000.

by Anonymousreply 12209/27/2013

There's always first class or business class.

by Anonymousreply 12309/27/2013

Fatties are expected to pay for the seat next to them. Why shouldn't those that want other people not to recline be expected to pay for the seat in front of them?

by Anonymousreply 12409/27/2013

I'll remember that when you place your balding head in my face, r125.

by Anonymousreply 12609/27/2013

R127 is right R126. You got called out. Your logic was a massive failure.

by Anonymousreply 12809/27/2013

[quote]I'll remember that when you place your balding head in my face

And what? What are you going to do to someone that puts their head in your face R126? Nothing that's what. Nothing but be passive aggressive and turn around and post your tough guy shit on an anonymous message board is what you'll do.

by Anonymousreply 12909/27/2013

R8, a plane is not an office cubicle. Kindly do your work at home.

by Anonymousreply 13009/27/2013

How about when your seat shakes because someone is pounding on his laptop on the seat tray?

by Anonymousreply 13109/27/2013

R134, you're the same ONE angry poster who has dominated this thread and another thread on the same topic.

No, one can be 5'9" and have smashed knees and legs for the entire ruined trips.

You're a liar about your height.

There are very few seats on an airplane with extra leg room. And seats in first class are extremely expensive.

You're a lousy person.

by Anonymousreply 13509/27/2013

The only people here who are writing about actively or passively acting aggressively on planes, are the twits who think their rights are somehow infringed upon; or that other people are acting in ways they judge to be somehow selfish, because the other person dares to use the seat-recline feature that the airline provides for them FULL STOP.

There is something mentally wrong with these complaining, aggressive losers FULL STOP. To them: get a life, or at least, take a walk, you whiny babies FULL STOP.

Also, if you fell like you need to add FULL STOP to your messages for emphasis, you've already lost the argument FULL STOP, (unless used satirically, FULL STOP)...........

by Anonymousreply 13609/27/2013

Im 6'2", and my knees are smashed against the seat in front on me whether or not the seat reclines. It doesn't make a difference to my knees.

I have the impression that the horizontal portion of the seat moves forward, when the seat reclines. Doesn't it?

In any event it makes no difference to my knees.

by Anonymousreply 13809/27/2013

Who are these clueless morons going on about "rights" or what the seats are "designed" to do as if those were the pertinent questions?

One could just as well say, "it's my right not to bathe for a week prior to boarding" or perhaps put on a pair of Depends and sit in a diaper full of shit for the whole flight because "that's what they're designed for."

It has nothing to do with rights or design decisions -- it's about getting along with people around you.

And eventually you get what you give.

by Anonymousreply 13909/27/2013

You could always taser the guy in front of you.

by Anonymousreply 14009/27/2013

I am perfectly normal sized but if I cannot get first or business when flying with my partner I will buy the third seat in the row claiming I am too fat and need it. (faa regulation require a seat for every named passenger). It is cheaper than first sometimes, and I get the room.

One oversold flight they tried to sit someone in my empty seat and I told them in no uncertain terms no, that was my seat I paid for it.

The flight attendant told me the flight was oversold and I was going to have to give up my seat, and I explained again, I bought this seat and this seat and this seat. I am here I am on the plane and I have my row and you have my money. Unless you want to compensate me for my seat, and my trouble and time, I am not giving up a seat I purchased for nothing because you oversold the plane.

by Anonymousreply 14109/27/2013

r141 = entitled princess

by Anonymousreply 14209/27/2013

LOL I don't think so R142. If I paid for an extra seat I wouldn't give it up either without compensation. Who would?

by Anonymousreply 14309/27/2013

Hit them on the head!

by Anonymousreply 14409/27/2013

r141 --

Next time some Flight Attendant tries to commandeer a seat you've paid for, you should hit it over the head with your guitar.

by Anonymousreply 14509/27/2013

Yes, R38 The horizontal portion of the seat DOES move forward. The people complaining are the type who will find something to complain about until the end of time. They're incredibly self absorbed. You shouldn't get mad at these people. Have pity for them. Their life must be hell.

by Anonymousreply 14609/27/2013

R146, that is true of some seats on some airlines in recent years (known as an articulating seat pan), but they are a minority.

by Anonymousreply 14709/27/2013

R133 posted: "Reclining gives very little and almost no increased comfort."

I'm surprised by this. I mean, that R133 has determined for everybody that reclining doesn't really increase their comfort. R133, this is why people recline. They feel that it does increase their comfort.

by Anonymousreply 14809/28/2013

Reclining does not make so much difference in comfort that it warrants completely ruining the trip of the person behind you and does not warrant smashing the knees and legs of the person behind you.

And lots of people press the recliner when they are not even trying to sleep or rest - they just in a unthinking robotic manner, press it.

by Anonymousreply 14909/28/2013

Oh my fucking god, is this discussion still going on?

You have the right to take off your shoes and stink up the cabin with your nasty feet. You have the right to fart up a storm, nauseating your fellow passengers.

We get it. But, what type of person does that make you?

by Anonymousreply 15009/28/2013

It's my god damn recliner! I'm renting it! I'll fucking use it!

by Anonymousreply 15109/28/2013

It's unbelievable how many entitled, completely oblivious assholes there are in the world. Everything is just ME ME ME with them.

by Anonymousreply 15209/28/2013

R149, it's not your place to judge what someone else finds comforting. Other people, most of them it seems from this thread, apparently DO find that reclining their chair is important to their enjoyment of, or perhaps just tolerance of, their flight.

If it make you uncomfortable, just recline your own chair, and you'll get back the exact same amount of room.

by Anonymousreply 15309/28/2013

I never fully recline my seat. For me, just a slight recline of a few inches is best, especially if I'm reading or watching a movie.

If I want to sleep and the seat behind mine is occupied, well that's my tough luck, not theirs. I'm not going to make them uncomfortable just because I want to nap. Plus a fully reclined seat makes the in-flight entertainment system on the back of my seat difficult to use for them. I don't like it when someone does it to me, and I'm not going to do it to someone else.

Remember The Golden Rule?

by Anonymousreply 15409/28/2013

They know what they are getting into when they buy the plane ticket. If they don't like plane travel in 21st century America, let them drive or take the train or a bus. Or get a 1st class ticket.

by Anonymousreply 15509/28/2013

If the person in front of me on a flight doesn't recline their chair, I make a point of getting their attention after we've landed and thanking them for not completely ruining my flight.

by Anonymousreply 15609/28/2013

recliner-defenders crack me up!

SUCH defensiveness!

by Anonymousreply 15709/28/2013

Ugh, this thread reminds me of why it's so miserable to fly anymore. The airline employees are openly hostile and so many people have this "it's my right I paid for this seat" attitude.

I propose this: it's your right to recline, but not recline as far as your seat will go. I had some a'hole do that to me on a flight from Dublin in Dulles and the creep's head was practically in my lap. What's more the douche got all hostile when I inevitably moved my legs smashed against his seat. I'm not tall (5.4), but I even I was uncomfortable, so I'm sure it would be miserable for a bigger person. Yes, you have a "right", but since you are trapped with people in this flying can for 10 hours, could you at least be somewhat considerate of others?

by Anonymousreply 15809/28/2013

R156 here - [If the person in front of me on a flight doesn't recline their chair, I make a point of getting their attention after we've landed and thanking them for not completely ruining my flight.]

I should have added, though, that I wait until the plane has made a FULL STOP, before I thank the other passenger. Because it's about safety, as well as courtesy.

by Anonymousreply 15909/28/2013

I hope they punch you in the face, R159. Entitled cunt.

by Anonymousreply 16009/28/2013

Thank you R160, you made my day!

by Anonymousreply 16109/28/2013

R[159]

gawd what a MARY!! (and probably a fibber too)

by Anonymousreply 16209/28/2013

R162, i was being sarcastic, see that the Author of R159 was "Said no one, ever!". "FULL STOP" is in reference to R99's use of the words earlier.

by Anonymousreply 16309/28/2013

At R38 I wrote:

[quote]The issue isn't actually whether or not someone has a "right" to recline an airline seat.

[quote]"The issue is whether or not it is acceptable and/or desirable to be oblivious to the other people around you. Nowadays, this kind of casual rudeness and contempt for others seems to be acceptable, I find it appalling"

To which sad sack R83 responded:

[quote]You poor delicate flower. Stay home, no one has time for your petty grievances. It's not rude to use the facilities as intended. The seats recline, people (for whatever reason) recline. Man up!

Happily, it isn't necessary for me to stay home, nor is it necessary for me to man up. I don't complain to the flight crew or jam my knees into the seat backs of idiotic fellow passengers. At this point in my life, I fly first class.

Still, it's interesting to watch a bunch of ill-mannered dolts rationalizing this poorly socialized behavior. Obviously your parents are to blame.

by Anonymousreply 16409/28/2013

Sitting on the fence 50/50 and reading this thread, I have to side with the recliners. The anti-recliners seem so freaking uptight.

by Anonymousreply 16509/28/2013

[quote]recliner-defenders crack me up! SUCH defensiveness!

The anti-decliners here sound just as defensive as the recliner defenders... and they fail to see expecting someone not to use the recline is just as entitled and selfish.

I fly a lot (at least once a week) and I'm fairly tall and recliners don't bother me. If I feel like I need more leg room, I purchase a seat with extra room. And to the people saying that they aren't always available, I call bullshit. I've never had a problem purchasing a seat with more leg room up until the day before my flight, and often, they're still available once I get to the airport. No one buys them because people are cheap and don't want to pay any more extras on a flight. The airlines usually end up using these seats for those on Standby.

by Anonymousreply 16609/28/2013

[quote]The seats with extra legroom which are extremely few in number are always the first seats to fill up on any flight.[R166] is a liar.

No they aren't. There are always at least 12 of these seats available and they are not the first to sell out. You obviously don't travel enough. R167 you are a moron and from Troll-dar, you are way too invested in this topic which tells me you're one of those insufferable people who feels like your rights are always being violated and you're constantly looking for something to whine about.

by Anonymousreply 16809/28/2013

Dont make fun of R167!

R167 is the "R___ is a liar!" troll.

You don't make fun of special needs people. Didn't your mother teach you anything?

by Anonymousreply 16909/28/2013

The extra leg room seats do not sell out that quickly. I always get email notifications prior to my flight asking if I want to upgrade to a seat with more leg room. R167 you sound like the liar.

Even if they do sell out thats your problem that you didn't care enough to book your flight early enough to ensure your own comfort.

No, theyre not selling out the extra leg room seats quickly. What's really going on is that you don't want to pay the extra and you also just want to bitch and expect that everyone cater to and follow your code of what people should be doing in your presence.

Get help R167!

by Anonymousreply 17009/28/2013

No one should need to pay a lot of extra money because ill-mannered dolts insist on reclining when unnecessary.

R168, there are all sizes and types of planes.

Are you talking about expecting people to pay large amounts of money for First Class and/or Business Class seats?

Or are you talking about the very few in number seats which are on the exit rows or the row of seats right at the dividing line between coach and First Class? Those seats are few in number.

Of course, the seats at the exits and dividing line sell out very quickly. You are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 17109/28/2013

R170, pertaining to getting an email from the airline asking if you want to upgrade -

of course, the airlines want you to upgrade to a really expensive seat in First Class or Business Class.

ill-mannered dolt

by Anonymousreply 17209/28/2013

A fake cough will do the trick in most instances.

by Anonymousreply 17309/28/2013

[quote]pertaining to getting an email from the airline asking if you want to upgrade -of course, the airlines want you to upgrade to a really expensive seat in First Class or Business Class. ill-mannered dolt

No, idiot. Im talking about emails asking if you want to upgrade to a seat with more legroom. You obviously don't fly enough.

[quote]You are wrong.

No, youre just hellbent on making shit up to justify your insatiable need to call everyone else an ill-mannered dolt.

If legroom is so important to you, book your flight early enough so you get one those seats with extra legroom that "sells out so quickly" (even though they dont). If you don't care enough to do that, then you don't care about your own comfort.

What it comes down to is that you're a bossy bottom who just like to bitch. Seriously, get help, your crazy is showing.

by Anonymousreply 17409/28/2013

I'm 6'4" and if you recline into my knees, I will politely ask you not to. And then kick your seat at random intervals until you act like a decent human being.

by Anonymousreply 17509/28/2013

If you recline into my lap, I will be very nice to you, start a conversation where it seems we are friends, find out your name and where you live, and then settle matters at another time.

by Anonymousreply 17609/28/2013

A polite cough? You're insane. I'd ignore that for sure, and I'm a fairly polite guy.

by Anonymousreply 17709/28/2013

People are seriously bitching about the recliners? Guess what? The seats are designed to recline! Guess what else? There is no airline policy that requires passengers to not recline if an uptight nelly has an issue with it! Be mad at designers of the plane. Be mad at the airline for not creating a policy that submits to your comforts. But don't be mad at the person exercising a feature of the seats they are allowed to use for their own comfort. The world doesn't revolve around you. The irony is that the anti recliners are see the recliners as entitled and selfish when it is the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 17809/28/2013

R175 is exactly right. If you choose to sit in my lap, expect me to be super fidgety and "accidently" bump your seat regularly.

by Anonymousreply 17909/28/2013

I your gonna sit on my lap don't complain when I accidentally drop my hot coffee over your head!

by Anonymousreply 18009/28/2013

I may be considered an elitist but when I fly anywhere I pay for first class at all times. I'm ex-military and have been on military flights and have experienced quite a few near misses which left me so stressed out that when I fly commercial I want to avoid any seating that already adds to my pre-flight stress. It's not reclined seats that bother me it's babies and toddlers who scream and cry, along with kicking the back of the seat, that bother me. It's more peaceful in first class. Children under 9 years old should be forbidden on all flights.

by Anonymousreply 18109/28/2013

You bitches are hysterical. You act like the seat comes so far down that the person is literally at chest level with you. No passenger can recline so far back that you would "accidentally" be able to drop coffee over their head.

Anyone that even thinks about doing that? Is mentally disturbed.

But let's not fool anyone, you'd never actually do it. Thats just tough guy talk on an anonymous message board. In reality? Youd sit there and take it like the bitches you are. Sure you might try to be passive aggressive and knee the back of the chair, but how would that be possible if you all are all completely squished and immobile by how far the seats seem to magically recline!

No, you will do none of that but come to Datalounge and then bitch about it.

by Anonymousreply 18209/28/2013

[quote]The irony is that the anti recliners are see the recliners as entitled and selfish when it is the opposite.

Exactly. That point has been brought up several times here, but people don't get it. Pointing the finger and saying someone else is being entitled and selfish because they're infringing on your comfort because they're trying to be comfortable is in fact, entitled and selfish. It works both ways people.

by Anonymousreply 18309/28/2013

I said a fake cough, not a polite one. One that will make the reclining person want to put some distance between my germs and his or her face.

by Anonymousreply 18409/28/2013

Here's my 2 cents. Yes, you are entitled to recline your seat because it was designed with that in mind. However, as others have said be considerate. Ask the person behind you if you are reclined too far for their comfort. Or just recline half way. If you can afford to it's worth the money to purchase the seats in economy which have extra leg room in the front section of the plane. (My airline introduced this concept, one of the few innovative things they've come up with, and most other airlines have followed suit) While we are discussing air travel courtesy don't leave a mess after you use the rest room. If you splash the mirror and counter wipe up with your paper towel. Close the toilet lid. And don't slam the door. (Also, close the accordian type door). I heard an amazing story recently about a co-worker who had James Gandolfini on a flight. Since he was a large man she said he put one of those sleep strips on his nose so he wouldn't snore and disturb his seat mates. I thought that was very thoughtful. She said he was a gentle, considerate man. P.S. I think the gadget referred to in several posts is illegal to use on most airlines (I know it is on mine, check the back if the inflight magazine)

by Anonymousreply 18509/29/2013

The annoying thing about extra leg room seats is that sometimes they don't have overhead cabin space and you have to invade other's.

by Anonymousreply 18609/29/2013

As a hairdresser, when someone reclines their seat to the point that their head is practically on my lap, I sometimes feel the need to take out my scissors and correct the horrible hairdos they usually have

by Anonymousreply 18709/29/2013

Easy solution to this is to also point your air vent forward towards the head of the person who has reclined his/her seat and open it up wide.

It will typically blow right on the top of their head.

When they complain, explain that it is your "right" to open and direct the air vent as you please.

On a few planes, the seats recline by the bottom of the seat moving forward so one reduces his/her own leg room when reclining.

Not surprisingly, they are finding that many fewer people are actually reclining their seats.

Go figure

by Anonymousreply 18809/29/2013

[quote]And then kick your seat at random intervals until you act like a decent human being.

Yes, because passive aggressively kicking a seat in front of you at random intervals is what a decent human does.

by Anonymousreply 18909/29/2013

You heard Lou!!

DON'T RECLINE ALL THE WAY BACK! (and ask the person behind you.)

by Anonymousreply 19009/29/2013

R190

You seem to have reading comprehension issues. That isn't exactly what Lou said.

by Anonymousreply 19109/29/2013

it would appear YOU are the one with comprehension issues.

he said this:

Ask the person behind you if you are reclined too far for their comfort. Or just recline half way.

pretty clear to me what he is getting at.

by Anonymousreply 19209/29/2013

R192

Nope. You're still the one who fails reading comprhension.

You said he said DONT RECLINE ALL THE WAY BACK!

That is not what he said. You're twisting what you said into what you want him to say.

He never said not to recline all the way. He said:

[quote] Yes, you are entitled to recline your seat because it was designed with that in mind. However, as others have said be considerate. Ask the person behind you if you are reclined too far for their comfort. Or just recline half way.

Clearly, that means, someone is entitled to recline their seat as far back as it is designated to go. He said one COULD be considerate and ask if its too far for their comfort or they COULD just recline half-way.

Lou never said DONT RECLINE ALL THE WAY.

You fail.

by Anonymousreply 19309/29/2013

Why do the anti-recliners think they're entitled to the space that a reclining chair takes?

by Anonymousreply 19409/29/2013

r193. you crack me up!

reading comprehension = inferring...reading between the lines.

Are you a recliner? You sound darned defensive.

by Anonymousreply 19509/29/2013

Can you at least try to be original, OP?

by Anonymousreply 19609/29/2013

When I read that R187 is a hairdresser, suddenly the personality types of all the anti recliners became apparent. It also explains why they can't afford the extra leg room. Mary!

Stay fabulous, little monsters! The world might never recognize your fabulousness but you are committed to living the life of a diva regardless. Good for you.

by Anonymousreply 19709/29/2013

[quote]On a few planes, the seats recline by the bottom of the seat moving forward so one reduces his/her own leg room when reclining.

The new Airbus A380 is like this. It works quite well.

by Anonymousreply 19809/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.