Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What Current US Television Shows are Popular Overseas?

Do shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy make sense to people in other countries? Which, if any, are considered great entertainment and/or representative of the American lifestyle?

PBS has British humor night on Saturday with reruns of old British comedies. Does something similar happen with American shows?

by Anonymousreply 1509/26/2013

Good question OP. I would assume that few of the smaller cable dramas are popular overseas. It's always been the big comedies that did well (Friends is still huge in Europe and China, of all places), and some dramas like ER. I do know that Lost has a world-wide cult fanbase, and Desperate Housewives did for a while. CSI Miami was the most popular show worldwide a few years back.

The link has some interesting information.

In many countries most American shows DO air, as the studios have specific channels for their own series (ie - In Latin America, it's Sony, Warner Brothers, Fox, etc). When I was in Mexico City a few years ago, my good friend's nieces were huge fans of Jersey Shore. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 109/26/2013

Falcon Crest is HUGE in the former Czech Republic.

by Anonymousreply 209/26/2013

Prison Break was quite popular in China, no idea why.

by Anonymousreply 309/26/2013

When I was in Korea CSI & Law & Order seemed to be on quite a few channels.

by Anonymousreply 409/26/2013

I live in Italy. It's a bit embarrassing but my tv package shows shit like Pawn Stars and Toddlers and Tiaras. The Italians also like Castle, that Jim Parsons show, and American Horror Story.

by Anonymousreply 509/26/2013

When I lived in Germany, there were quite a few US series shown (often a year or more after the original US airdates), but they were mostly dubbed by horrendous voice actors. I ended up torrenting everything so I could have them in the original language and not wait an eternity for the new episodes, or getting dvds from the local answer to Netflix.

I believe Breaking Bad has quite a following in the UK, with the current episodes available through Netflix the day after they air here.

by Anonymousreply 609/26/2013

I'm an Australian born and raised. I should clarify from Perth so not Melbourne (theatre capital) or Sydney (film and tv capital) and I grew up watching predominantly American tv shows (everything and I mean EVERYTHING), some UK tv (mainly cause my dad is British and so he'd watch all that stuff) and there was really only some aussie stuff worth watching.

I had an American accent until I went to school and learnt how we pronounce vowels. Not even kidding. And I still see it today with Aussie kids who haven't gone to school yet.

Everything that is a hit in US I can guarantee people in Australia are watching. At least I definitely my generation, Y, is devouring.

The only obstacle we face is obtaining these tv shows without too long a wait. We still don't have netflix (it is possible to illegally get around this) and people who don't have cable, won't even be able to get to see most of the good shows on free to air. Hence illegal downloading is extremely popular here because its necessary!

by Anonymousreply 709/26/2013

Yes, Breaking Bad is only available on Netflix in the UK. It's never been treated very well by UK broadcasters on terrestrial and satellite. The first two seasons were just dumped into the schedule late at night on Channel 5 with little promotion or notice. Then the box sets started to catch on early last year. Now it's all anyone talks about.

Mad Men has a following and gets a prestigious presentation on Murdoch's Sky Atlantic satellite channel. But nothing compares to the popularity of Game of Thrones which pulls just under 5 million viewers per episode, which is a lot considering it's only broadcast on a satellite channel. We get that the night after it airs in the US, Mad Men typically a few nights after for scheduling reasons.

AHS is usually broadcast on Fox a few weeks after the start of a new series in the States. Big Bang is on all the time. We, of course, get a lot of American tellie over here. Even the cancelled shows get a short run, dramas mostly, not every crap comedy.

by Anonymousreply 809/26/2013

Thanks for all the answers.

Are the nuances and American peculiarities of these shows understood well then? I'm thinking of Mad Men which does spend time on American cultural touchstones like the racial turmoil and assassinations that marred the 60's, the way consumerism really took hold in this era and even the way littering views changed. ( As evidenced in the picnic scene in season 2... I think.)

I realize that many of these fights and turmoil were not unique to the US, but do our heroes and villains translate to other cultures. Sometimes when I watch Ab Fab or MI-5, things go right by me that I know must mean something to the British, but mystify me. That must happen in the reverse in a contemporary show like Breaking Bad. The period series like Game of Thrones probably less so.

What about Westerns like Deadwood and Hell on Wheels? Or the zombie show, Walking Dead? Are they shown and popular?

R1, I'll read your link now. It may answer some of my rumblings.

by Anonymousreply 909/26/2013

R2, that's bullshit!!! I live here in Praha. What are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 1009/26/2013

[quote]PBS has British humor night on Saturday with reruns of old British comedies. Does something similar happen with American shows?

No, American shows like American movies are the entertainment default almost world wide. They don't need or get special nights.

Watching so much American entertainment all your life, it doesn't really feel strange or foreign anymore. Many people know more about US laws then their own, because of all the crime shows.

Sometimes it's hard to know if something is realistic for America or just a movie/TV trope. I'm still not sure about the social groups in High School as they are presented in film, for example.

by Anonymousreply 1109/26/2013

TWD is indeed popular in the UK. They usually like the serials (V, Alcatraz, Terra Nova), but the overseas sales aren't enough to justify continuing those money ptis here in the States.

by Anonymousreply 1209/26/2013

As to the three OP mentioned, Breaking Bad is the most popular one, Mad Men comes next, Sons of Anarchy, not so much.

Almost all popular TV shows in the US are also popular in China. British ones are popular as well, such as Downton Abbey and the Sherlock series.

by Anonymousreply 1309/26/2013

One of the Big Bang Theory episodes had Raj Skyping with his parents in India and they aborted the chat because, as they excitedly said: "It's time for Doogie Howser!"

I then read that the show is a huge fan favorite in India.

by Anonymousreply 1409/26/2013

I live in Switzerland and we have a pay-for-view programme called Sky Atlantic. As the name implies, it'a all US shows. It's pretty good and you get to see most shows at least six months before they're shown on free TV. Some never make it onto free TV at all. But you get a lot of US shows on free TV as well and since we can watch German and Austrian TV as well there is a large choice. Some TV stations show mostly US shows.

by Anonymousreply 1509/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!