Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

50 things That You Don't Need to do Anymore because of tech Advances.

I still do 8 of f these like occasionally print photos, have a CD collection, send postcards....

How about you?

by Anonymousreply 5101/21/2014

Dialing a phone with a pencil.

by Anonymousreply 309/25/2013

Not necessarily good things

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2013

r2 what places?

by Anonymousreply 509/25/2013

How ironic that they don't mention the 1 thing you now have to do because of technology: read tiny font with a magnifying glass (why couldn't they use text instead of an image?).

by Anonymousreply 609/25/2013

Going to garage sales and flea markets is still pretty popular

by Anonymousreply 709/25/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 909/26/2013

I miss handwritten letters. I've never gotten an email with the depth and charm of the handwritten letters I used to get from friends and family.

by Anonymousreply 1109/26/2013

I still buy CDs, watch certain TV shows live, and still watch DVDs.

by Anonymousreply 1209/26/2013

Using a dictionary is on that list twice

by Anonymousreply 1309/26/2013

I haven't shot the driver because the car broke down in at least 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 1409/26/2013

It's not like people don't use dictionaries and phone directories and the like - they just use them online. I still very much enjoy buying CDs (although I do rip them and listen thru iTunes) and my friends love the mix-discs I make them. There are pros and cons when it comes to technology and our everyday lives - there's a massive difference between a pre-fabricated e-card and a handmade card/note. The personal touch still counts for a lot in my books (but I'm a child of the twentieth century).

by Anonymousreply 1509/26/2013

(now people tell you where they are whether you want to know or not)

by Anonymousreply 1609/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 1709/26/2013

Additional things you don't do anymore because of technology:

51) Have meaningful moments with friends and family uninterrupted by people surfing on their iPhones.

52) Call up people to talk on the phone.

53) Socialize with people outside of Facebook and Twitter.

54) Treat other human beings like actual human beings.

55) Be happy with what you have, not upset that what you have isn't the latest upgrade.

by Anonymousreply 1809/26/2013

Flea markets and garage sales are still needed. Although I guess they listed this because ebay and online second hand sites have put a dent in them.

by Anonymousreply 1909/26/2013

I no longer need to go to 75 second hand bookstores to find a rare title...but what's sad about that is the fact I used to find other things while I searched.

Same with music. But I don't miss the type of creeps that used to work in oldies record shops AT ALL.

by Anonymousreply 2009/26/2013

Buy a Calendar

by Anonymousreply 2109/27/2013

All these are very minor things making no or little improvement to quality of life, and always involving a cost, usually the elimination of social interaction.

It clearly shows that technology sector is hugely overvalued in the markets today, as well as the brainless idiocy of the general public.

by Anonymousreply 2209/27/2013

Unfortunately I still have to go to a bank branch on occasion. For whatever ridiculous reason my bank still doesn't offer check deposits via iPhone app, and since I still receive various non-work-related checks on occasion, I have to deposit them in person, either at a teller desk or at the bank's own ATM.

It bugs the shit out of me, but I sometimes have to fax stuff as well. I have an eFax number that's dormant most of the time; I use it once or twice a year to send scanned documents as well as receive them.

I still keep printed bank statements, ever since I found out my bank doesn't store an *exact* copy of them in PDF form (they do not include, for instance, two-sided copies of checks I've sent out, either handwritten or electronic - you need both sides to show a check has actually been cashed), plus you have to put in a special request (and pay some outrageous fee) to access any statements that have already been "archived," usually anything at least a year old.

Not visiting flea markets? Seriously?! I know tons of people who do both that and visiting "yard sales" (if we're including garage sale and estate sales in with it).

Finally, I still buy CDs because my car is 11 years old and it would be too problematic to replace the (single-disc) head unit with a new one with Bluetooth for streaming Pandora/Spotify off my iPhone and/or an aux plug. Sometimes I'll buy an album on iTunes and then burn a disc off of it, but since I have Amazon Prime it's nearly as easy to just get the original CD (and at usually the same price).

by Anonymousreply 2309/27/2013

Beep me 911

by Anonymousreply 2409/27/2013

Even though they seem like a waste of space now I agree about CD's only because I often find them cheaper and the sound quality is still superior.

by Anonymousreply 2509/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 2609/27/2013

[quote] I'm only in my 30s and I still send handwritten thank-you notes for special occasions, such as being invited to dinner to a persons' house for the first time, or receiving an expensive birthday present. I think sending an email in those situations is a little tacky. I don't know, call me old school.

I'm the same way too. My mom encouraged us to do handwritten thank you notes and it has never felt right to do thank you emails.

by Anonymousreply 2709/28/2013

Most people don't read newspapers any more.

by Anonymousreply 2809/28/2013

I still buy CDs and DVDs.

by Anonymousreply 2909/28/2013

Fill out forms in triplicate. Although, I did have to do it recently to get a property tax refund (for my beach condo). I laughed when I saw it and told the part-time frau-clerk that I hadn't seen one of those in 20 years. She said it was necessary because their filing system requires a pink, yellow and white copy of the form--LOL!. We love going there because it's laid back and slow paced, but it really is such a throw back hick town in many, many ways.

by Anonymousreply 3009/28/2013

Having to miss a TV show because another favorite show is on at the same time...

by Anonymousreply 3109/28/2013

Phone book is on there twice.

by Anonymousreply 3209/28/2013

I still: 16, 17, 21, 25, 32, 35, 36, 38, 43, 46, 47, 48, 49. I'm 30 and live in the EU.

by Anonymousreply 3309/28/2013

True story, I got into a bitter fight with someone who wanted me to fax them paperwork. I explained that it is easier to just email a pdf, but they wouldn't hear it. I called them stupid, idiotic and a caveman. Then hung up.

by Anonymousreply 3409/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 3509/28/2013

Paper maps.

Landline phone.

by Anonymousreply 3609/28/2013

wonder where past friends and associates from grade school, high school, college, past workplaces, long distance relatives are, what they look like now, and what they are doing.

by Anonymousreply 3709/28/2013

Are high school reunions still popular? People used to go just to see what everybody looked like and what they had been doing since graduation. Now, you can do all of that on Facebook, while avoiding those you hated in high school.

by Anonymousreply 3809/28/2013

Going around town, visiting record store after record store just hoping to find that one elusive CD or record.

by Anonymousreply 3909/28/2013

This list is a mess. It doesn't flow. You don't need to hand wash your clothes? Okay, so now this isn't a 21st century list? Yeesh. Fail.

by Anonymousreply 4009/28/2013

R5 believe it or not, Prudential Long Term Healthcare Insurance claims have to be faxed in every month.

by Anonymousreply 4109/28/2013

Trust departments only accept faxed documents - with snail mail follow-up. Half my correspondence with one bitch banker doesn't exist because it was emailed.

Bank records are only stored online for six months, so you really should download the pdf each month.

Flea markets are now antique markets - dealers weren't making their rent in malls, so now they set up shop two days a week out in a field and expect the same prices.

by Anonymousreply 4209/28/2013

I liked having a big Barnes and Noble in my neighborhood. I'd go there when I was pissed at my husband and wanted to get out of the house. And it was right around the corner from the movie theatre, so if I got bored during a movie I was seeing with him, I could leave for a while and have a place to hang out. I went there twice during Titanic.

Now it's a Petco.

by Anonymousreply 4309/28/2013

I don't miss trailing round several shops comparing features and prices when appliance shopping. White goods just aren't that interesting at the best of times, an afternoon spent schlepping round looking for the best dishwasher for the best price was torture.

The list is ridiculous though - try on shoes at the mall? I still want to check if it fits. I also send hand written thank you notes, hand wash some clothing if it requires it, have CDs and DVDs. One that surprises me though is 'warm drinks on the stove' -is this really a problem? In Europe people have electric kettles for tea making, electric coffee makers, so all that'd be left is hot milk drinks, which I would make at a stove not a microwave.

by Anonymousreply 4409/28/2013

Don't most people want to try on shoes before they buy them? Few things are more important than finding a comfortable, well-fitting pair of shoes.

by Anonymousreply 4509/28/2013

Many places insist on faces because emails are not secure.

by Anonymousreply 4609/28/2013

tape recorders

by Anonymousreply 4701/20/2014

My neighbors laugh at me because I'm the only one with a landline phone. Last summer one of their houses caught fire and I was the only one who succeeded in calling 911. They were mortified that their calls did not connect or connected to the wrong city.

I also still use wall calendars.

by Anonymousreply 4801/20/2014

It was easy for me as a nurse to find a job in the NY pre-internet. Each hospital had its own ad. The ads were quite large. They would tell me what jobs were available, what shift was available, what address to send my CV and cover letter to, what the base salary was, what the shift differential was, whether a job was FT or PT and benefits.. For example:

Central Medical Center: ICU, 11am to 7pm. Two years ICU experience needed. P/t with F/t benefits. $32-37/hr. Send resume to Nurse Recruiter Nancy Smith, 100 Oak St, NY, NY.

by Anonymousreply 4901/21/2014

I've been cleaning out my storage area and found a box with lots of different styles of notecards, writing paper and embossed paper and envelopes with my name, address and phone number on them that I had to send away to have made.i couldn't throw them away. I used to take such care at picking out notecards, and I'd go through the notecards thinking of the person I was going to send one to.

by Anonymousreply 5001/21/2014

Some people have landlines that are hooked to cable, though. Those lines go out when the electricity goes out.

by Anonymousreply 5101/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!