Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anjelica Huston's autobiography is finally coming out...November 19th.

'A Story Lately Told: Coming of Age in Ireland, London, and New York'

Anyone here going to buy it?

I am.

Joan Didion says it's: “Lucid, loving, all a memoir should be.”

by Anonymousreply 5011/22/2013

Oh, no...it's one of those two parters:

[quote]A Story Lately Told ends as Huston launches her Hollywood life. The second part of her story—Watch Me—opens in Los Angeles in 1973 and will be published in Fall 2014. Beguiling and beautifully written, Huston’s memoir is a treasure.

They really annoy me. Just write a fatter book. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 109/25/2013

That bitch better not call my fat!

by Anonymousreply 209/25/2013

[quote]A Story Lately Told: Coming of Age in Ireland, London, and New York

Surely there shouldn't be a comma after London....grammar trolls?

by Anonymousreply 309/25/2013

Will there be potion recipes?

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 509/26/2013

As soon as I heard about this book I thought "finally, someone who has lived a LIFE is writing about it, not some reality whore".

by Anonymousreply 609/26/2013

I'm surprised by the zero interest this thread has aroused on DL.

by Anonymousreply 709/26/2013

...especially as her pic makes her look so like Cher.

by Anonymousreply 809/26/2013

I even quoted Joan Didion.

by Anonymousreply 909/26/2013

Manhattans will be thrown.

by Anonymousreply 1009/26/2013

Allegra Huston's book Love Child is also a good read. (She's Anjelica's half sister.)

by Anonymousreply 1109/26/2013

[quote]I'm surprised by the zero interest this thread has aroused on DL.

Actually, this book was discussed on another thread... a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1209/26/2013

We were just talking about this. I think that thread became infested with "Anjelica Huston is the Head Witch of Hollywood" freaks with all their displacement and dysfunction. We had to abandon it.

I'm interested but since it's a two volume memoir, I'll wait until the second one is published.

by Anonymousreply 1309/26/2013

Reading it now...got an advance copy.

by Anonymousreply 1409/26/2013

R3, it's British English and the serial comma is acceptable if applied consistently, even in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 1509/26/2013

[quote] Reading it now...got an advance copy.

How is it so far?

[quote}Actually, this book was discussed on another thread... a lot.

Now things are starting to make sense.

[quote]it's British English and the serial comma is acceptable if applied consistently, even in the USA

Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1609/27/2013

She used to pick me up in her station wagon and bring me home, high as a kite, I thought we were going to fly off Mulholland Drive.

by Anonymousreply 1709/27/2013

Is it true she used to date the hillside strangler in her wicked youth?

by Anonymousreply 1809/27/2013

[quote]Allegra Huston's book Love Child is also a good read. (She's Anjelica's half sister.)

I read that too. I agree, good read.

by Anonymousreply 1909/27/2013

That's a mistake..I'm AN autobiography addict. THE gives me an unwarranted status in this area.

by Anonymousreply 2009/27/2013

I'm sure she is going to tell the truth, Please! wake up!

As I recall, I asked Susie Lee if she ever met Anjelica Huston? She said yes and she mentioned Anjelica Huston is a complete idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2109/27/2013

The first volume should be interesting on her childhood in Ireland with father John. Presumably the second vol will cover her Nicholson era and pals with Polanski etc.

I hope she wrote it herself. I am currently reading Sir Derek Jacobi's book, which is "as told to Garry O'Connor" - and it reads like Jacobi was dictating it. Also, shamefully for a theatrical memoir there is no index or full list of his many stage/screen/tv credits. Maybe thats the new cheap way of doing things? for a book that retals at the usual full price (£20 here in UK - though it was cheaper on Amazon). Good stories though about Noel Coward, Olivier, Maggie Smith, and being pals with young Michael York.

by Anonymousreply 2209/27/2013

The truth is, OP, no one much cares about an old rag like Angelica

by Anonymousreply 2409/27/2013

Tell that to Joan Didion, R24.

[quote] Joan Didion says it's: “Lucid, loving, all a memoir should be.”

by Anonymousreply 2509/27/2013

What a cow. I'd just get a sex change operation rather than live my life looking like this.

by Anonymousreply 2609/27/2013

Wow! That link of R26's!

I guess she'll be all over the talk shows in November when the book comes out.

by Anonymousreply 2709/27/2013

I want to know why she was fucking both Nicholson and Beatty during the 70's, and how, with that face she became a model - she's always been more character actor than star, but her perverted father's last name opened doors for her.

She was also friendly or friends with Xtina Onassis when she was young as well.

And I think her, Beatty and Nicholson has 3-somes and lived in the same house.

JN was once really good looking btw.

by Anonymousreply 2809/27/2013

Please, no photographs on the cover.

by Anonymousreply 2909/27/2013

[quote]I want to know why she was fucking both Nicholson and Beatty during the 70's...

Everyone fucked those two during the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 3009/27/2013

R28 certainly is an over-the-top moralistic little Mary, isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 3109/27/2013

[quote] her perverted father's last name opened doors for her.

Same with Ileana Douglas. Neither one of these women would have gotten near a movie camera without their family connections.

by Anonymousreply 3209/27/2013

>>>Same with Ileana Douglas

Really? I haven't seen her in much but she was great in Six feet Under. Everyone was great in Six Feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 3309/27/2013

I thought that Ileana Douglas got into movies because she was Martin Scorsese's mistress for years. What are her family connections?

by Anonymousreply 3409/27/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3509/28/2013

It is not British English R15. The US is the only Native English speaking country that uses it. Even the NY Times has stopped using this format.

by Anonymousreply 3609/28/2013

I feel a strong vibe that her very, very sick father, who loved 12 -13 year old girls, molested her ,but she is the type that will never tell the truth about that. Jack Nicholson was good looking when he was younger, but he was one sick bastard! He went to Roman's parties in France to have sex with girls around the ages of 12-14 years old just like Anjelica's daddy. Anjelica being madly in love with a piece of shit like Nicholson, doesn't say much about her.

by Anonymousreply 3709/28/2013

About 2/3 through an advance edition and it is plodding & boring. A slew of names thrown around - many of which are unrecognizable, people whom their parents knew but outside of Europe in the late 50's, early 60's would have no recognition factor - and it meanders from one thing to another within paragraphs. Occasionally, there is something interesting but it is just a sentence or two plopped in and never fleshed out.

It's like reading something written by a person with ADHD...flits from one thing to another constantly.

If I didn't have to submit a review of it I would have tossed it aside long ago.

by Anonymousreply 3809/28/2013

R38 Thank you.

Well, that's a pity. Being Euro I may appreciate the content slightly more, but I can't tolerate books that flit about.

Do you have the impression she is forthcoming? or is the content rather generic?

by Anonymousreply 3909/28/2013

I pre-ordered it.

I've always admired her. I didn't know she was at the house when Polanski raped the 13 year old child or that she still defended him.

I'm interested to hear about her early life. So we know for a fact her father molested her?

by Anonymousreply 4009/28/2013

[quote] About 2/3 through an advance edition and it is plodding & boring.

But Joan Didion says quite differently.

Is Joan a personal friend of Anjelica's ?

[quote] but I can't tolerate books that flit about.

I hate flitting too. Maybe Joan likes flitting. I can't be sure. There are people in this site who know a lot more about Joan and her ways than I. That's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 4109/28/2013

[quote]Mary Kindle

Funny.

by Anonymousreply 4209/28/2013

[39] Forthcoming in an oblique way. She acknowledges both parent's affairs, her own dalliances. But, it seems like either because the time-frame of the book - a good portion is about her youth to teenage years - or her own holding back some details may be omitted. Again, it could also be because she seems to have trouble expanding on topics. Names, places, what was served at dinner, designers can fill almost a paragraph but in many cases her thoughts or feelings seem muted. I described the book to my partner as emotionless. It is like reading a news article in many ways.

I get it when it comes to her father. He was absent for most of her childhood. And even when they were together on the estate in Ireland lived in separate houses. She, her brother & mother in The Little House, John Huston in The Big House, as they were referred to.

by Anonymousreply 4309/28/2013

She'll have a lot to cram into part two of her autobio: Hollywood, Nicholson, Robert Graham.

by Anonymousreply 4409/28/2013

"in many cases her thoughts or feelings seem muted"

She does seem to comport herself this way in interviews as well. Deer in the head lights look when she speaks of her father. One senses she'd like to belt out "the man was an abusive ass" but no, instead we get "Papa didn't suffer fools gladly."

Still I do appreciate her body of film work.

by Anonymousreply 4509/28/2013

[quote]"in many cases her thoughts or feelings seem muted"

I've found, for a 'celebrity' autobiography to work it needs to be almost embarrassingly honest and open, at least partially.

by Anonymousreply 4609/28/2013

Finished the book. The final 30-40 pages were much better than the rest of the book. She goes into great detail about her modeling days and her fucked up relationship with Bob Richardson. Had the beginning been trimmed down and/or written in the same way it would have been an enjoyable book.

Hopefully, the next one will follow suit with the end of this one and be an enjoyable read.

by Anonymousreply 4709/29/2013

This is R37. R40, I meant I have a feeling that Anjelica's father molested her becuase he was a super sick man who liked 12-13 year old girls.Also, because his friend was that doctor who was extremely evil. The doctor's son wrote two books claiming his father was the Black Dalia killer. The son said his father had sex orgies at their home that were super sick, and his father allowed men in the orgies to gang rape is sister. He indicated that there was a time when Huston came by the doctor's house and the doctor's daughter was there who was just a preteen. Huston saw her and jumped on the girl and tried to rape her. However, the girl's father said casually, no, no, she is not the one, SICK!

by Anonymousreply 4809/29/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4911/22/2013

Wow R48, what is the name of the Dr?

by Anonymousreply 5011/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.