Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

George H.W. Bush is Witness at Same-Sex Wedding in Maine!

There's photographic proof at link.

by Anonymousreply 11004/26/2014

Barb's bride was who?

by Anonymousreply 109/25/2013

That's great!

by Anonymousreply 209/25/2013

This is confusing because I still want to hate him.

by Anonymousreply 309/25/2013

I'm more confused by his mismatched socks.

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2013

His socks, HIS SOCKS!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 509/25/2013

[quote]I'm more confused by his mismatched socks.

It was a same sex wedding, R4. Not a same sox wedding.

by Anonymousreply 609/25/2013

Jeez. This isn't the first time for him. Amazing how what you guys want to be true tarnishes what is true.

by Anonymousreply 709/25/2013

He's worn mismatched socks before?

by Anonymousreply 809/25/2013

We thought Bonnie was a man. We had no idea this was a same sex wedding.

by Anonymousreply 909/25/2013

It doesn't mean he's a good person, he's just not as bad a person as his son.

by Anonymousreply 1109/25/2013

My father is a couple of years older than GHW Bush. When he was growing up, no one talked about gays, or Jews -- he's not religious & judgmental, so it's never occurred to him to wonder whether someone is gay or Jewish.

On occasion, he'll learn that a person he knows is gay or Jewish -- he's mildly surprised because they've never seemed different from anyone else, but what matters to him is whether they're nice people. When it turns out that various neighbors & professional colleagues who've been kind & helpful are gay or Jewish, that's a minor & unimportant detail about someone who's already proven to be a good person. If he's asked to attend their celebrations, he's pleased to share their happy events.

This is the way it happens -- & old people like this set a good example for everyone who sees them with their friends.

by Anonymousreply 1209/25/2013

GW Bush is gay friendly

by Anonymousreply 1309/25/2013

George HW is good friends with the Clintons

by Anonymousreply 1409/25/2013

Has a son ever done so much to redeem a father?

The seniors are still Episcopalians, I'm assuming. I think only W. went evangelical, during his drug recovery phase.

by Anonymousreply 1509/25/2013

GW Bush is not gay friendly, he's a closet queen, and those are usually the most terrible and evil people there are.

by Anonymousreply 1609/25/2013

Is there a meltdown at Free Republic yet?

by Anonymousreply 1709/25/2013

Condi Rice is gay!

by Anonymousreply 1809/25/2013

Good for him. People change and evolve as they get older. It's good juju that he's putting himself out there as publicly supportive.

by Anonymousreply 2009/25/2013

indeed r20

by Anonymousreply 2109/25/2013

My beautiful mind!!

by Anonymousreply 2209/25/2013

Well they're BOTH ugly spinsters who would've never landed a quality man at this age, so their marriage should work out quite well for them!

by Anonymousreply 2309/25/2013

I don't know R23, the "femme" of that couple is quite an attractive older woman. The other one would look better with a different haircut.

by Anonymousreply 2409/25/2013

R25, huh? Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 2609/25/2013

I'm more surprised that Barbara attended, straight men are usually o.k. with lesbians, but straight women not so much.

by Anonymousreply 2709/25/2013

Another...

by Anonymousreply 2809/25/2013

I used to work at a NYC hospital that had a nursing home. An elderly Aunt of George's lived in the nursing home. When ever George and Barbara were in NYC they used to visit the Aunt. They were very, very nice and always brought boxes of chocolates for the nurses and other staff

by Anonymousreply 2909/25/2013

I think both those women are attractive in their own ways.

by Anonymousreply 3009/25/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3109/25/2013

Evil fucking Bushes

by Anonymousreply 3209/25/2013

Barbara Bush...now there's a woman who really knows how to munch a carpet.

by Anonymousreply 3309/25/2013

R27: is that so? I never knew that. Being a man has perhaps made me unaware of straight women are like about gay women. We know how straight men dislike us.

by Anonymousreply 3409/26/2013

Please, the old bastard probably doesn't even know where he is.

by Anonymousreply 3509/26/2013

Well earned bad rap, he spawned the heinous W.

by Anonymousreply 3709/26/2013

Democrats and republicans are the same thing, working towards the same goal.

by Anonymousreply 3809/26/2013

Well he has killed his chances of reviving his political career! He will never win another election!

by Anonymousreply 3909/26/2013

The Bushes are not REAL Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 4009/26/2013

I don't think that W really hates gays either. There were reports that he wasn't particularly interested in gay issues and actually wanted to avoid them early on in his administration (something to the effect of, "I don't want to kick gays around"). He only became anti-gay for political expediency. I don't know which is worse, demonizing gays because you really think being gay is wrong, or doing it because it gets you ahead in the polls.

by Anonymousreply 4109/26/2013

[quote]Jeez. This isn't the first time for him. Amazing how what you guys want to be true tarnishes what is true.

Oh God, just STFU. Don't act like he and his family are bunch of saints. You're repulsive.

Oh gee, he showed up to a gay wedding. Well, that'll absolve him of everything he's done.

by Anonymousreply 4209/26/2013

[quote] Is there a meltdown at Free Republic yet?

The FReepers don't like the Bushes.

by Anonymousreply 4309/26/2013

What a nice picture.

by Anonymousreply 4409/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 4509/26/2013

I think Bar is looking smashing.

by Anonymousreply 4609/26/2013

@R46, I agree!

by Anonymousreply 4709/26/2013

I always kind of liked Bush senior, despite his being a Republican millionaire, former head of the CIA and probably into illegal things. And I liked that Barbara spoke her mind, even though it was often reprehensible!

H.W. always seemed a little more socially aware and progressive, especially compared to his son, who I believe has no convictions but only followed the far-right party line for political benefits.

by Anonymousreply 4809/26/2013

GHWB was not likeable. He was a sociopath who as a teenager sabotaged his opponent's boat before a sailing race (just a prank? the opponent could have been killed and certainly Bush didn't blink at causing someone else thousands in property damage. What's more damning is he bragged about it his whole life).

If he is not anti-gay it is because he is a coward who doesn't confront people to their faces but has no problem knifing them in the back.

George W. Bush does not "hate" gays, but as a closeted nincompoop he would have not blinked twice before setting up gas ovens and having us all killed.

You folks really are bizarre the way you impute humane characteristics to known criminals, traitors, and murderers.

by Anonymousreply 4909/26/2013

It's called "normalizing evil" and it's a mental lllness, a severe one.

by Anonymousreply 5009/26/2013

How on earth is W better?

by Anonymousreply 5209/26/2013

R51 Oh my goodness! [while clutching pearls] ...there are evil Right-Less ones on this site?

by Anonymousreply 5309/26/2013

I'm kind of digging that GHWB wore a blue snuggy to the wedding.

by Anonymousreply 5409/26/2013

R25, is that a deliberate post? Straight people (like the Bush's) don't freak out (and it does not look at all like anyone is freaking out) when they are not homophobic, like it appears your are- or rather your post if you were trying to be provocative.

by Anonymousreply 5509/26/2013

FINALLY RECOGNIZED!!! ...and some idiot thought that GW Bush was better than our current President?

Alas, this filled me with so much emotion, I must take to my bed and weep...

by Anonymousreply 5609/26/2013

They're the local store owners.

All they had to do was send Bar half a case of scotch with promises of the remainder if she showed up!

Please note she wasn't given anything more than wine until AFTER the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 5709/26/2013

Good for him. Hitler loved animals. Nixon started the EPA. Joan Crawford was a hell of an actress.

by Anonymousreply 5809/26/2013

Republicans are fine with "their gays" - people they know or who are of the right social class.

Its the rest that they'll demonize for political gain.

by Anonymousreply 5909/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 6009/26/2013

Are the general store proprietors the same "class" as the Bushes?

by Anonymousreply 6109/26/2013

R60, so you think the owners of the local store are "upper class"?

by Anonymousreply 6209/26/2013

In that part of Maine, yes, a store owner would be of the right class.

by Anonymousreply 6309/26/2013

Back when OJ became a heinous murderer, people were always yakking on about his pleasing personality traits and skills.

I would always sum it up and shut it up by saying "OJ Simpson is a really nice, cool, talented guy. Other than the fact he decapitated two people, he's ok."

by Anonymousreply 6409/26/2013

I'm pretty sure Bar was copping a feel in one of those photos.

by Anonymousreply 6509/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 6609/26/2013

For those who think he's really a nice man, check out the documentary of Lee Atwater called The Boogieman.

by Anonymousreply 6709/26/2013

"The upper classes 'tolerate' gays as long as the gays are 'of their class.'"

Who really cares, as long as this is good for the cause? All I care about is that it's driving the freepers crazy and we can rub their noses in it and use it to further civil rights. As someone once said, "Let the dead bury the dead."

by Anonymousreply 6809/26/2013

People with backgrounds of privilege including education and wealth never have a beef with homosexuals. These people are secure with themselves and they run this country. They know how to take advantage of every situation, as well. You'll never hear a snide comment directed at homosexuals. People don't realize their homophobia strongly hints at their station in life. When some now wealthy people speak out against gays, you don't have to look too far back to find a peasant mentality lurking in their backgrounds. Who are they to question nature?

by Anonymousreply 6909/26/2013

Nice of him to do this, yes. On the one hand, this is a nice thing to do for some personal friends. At the same time, I cannot imagine any of the Bush family showing support for a gay teenager in some backwater state. Those lower-class kids are on their own.

This is what I see from a lot of pro-gay wealthy people. They want THEIR kids, or relatives, or the friends of their kids, etc, to be able to get married; they don't care one iota about what less fortunate gay youth must endure in this country. They aren't making a stand against bigotry. They just want to let their fab little gay boys know they are hip to the new generation.

And don't get me started on how this issue allows wealthy Republicans (and, let's face it, Democrats, too) to pat themselves on the back while this country becomes more and more unequal. Gay marriage is very important, but two married gay men who can't get insurance because neither one can find full-time employment? Well, at least they have one another in a legally recognized union!

by Anonymousreply 7009/26/2013

r69, like Trump? (The landlord's son from Queens.)

by Anonymousreply 7109/26/2013

R68, its not for the good of the cause. They'll attend this wedding one day and donate/throw their weight behind homophobic politicians and laws the next day. They aren't part of the cause.

by Anonymousreply 7309/26/2013

Ask him where he was the day JFK was shot, R72. The man headed the CIA, the locus of evil in the United States as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 7409/26/2013

Tell that to r72, r73!

by Anonymousreply 7509/26/2013

He's not a nice man, I'll agree. What he did to us is sitting in the unconsciousness of every Americans mind. His high handedness and arrogance concerning middle eastern affairs made US pay personally by homeland terrorist attacks. Even with our own terrorists. He pissed off the middle east and they are retaliating by going after us, the citizens. We are still PAYING because he set it up by sending the message that a single crazy like Adam Lanza could make the world stop spinning. We're now terrorizing ourselves and making the media a complete tool, falling all over itself. This is a symptom of what terrorists have taught our own citizens. People don't mind going down if it assures them a spot in infamy. They'll let us know their issues. We'll all know their issues because we had to read about this 'badass' in media coverage that is just insane. Then we'll talk about it and offer our pop psych opinions. Do you see now how he set us up?

by Anonymousreply 7709/26/2013

I think some of you are a bit harsh here. I personally think that this was a bold thing for the President and Mrs. Bush to do. GOOD FOR THEM!!! So, what the newlyweds are friends of theirs. Shouldn't that be the people who attend your wedding? Family and Friends? Of course the President and his wife want this photo-op out there. They clearly want to send a message to the Republican Party, (which still has as one of its planks opposition against same-sex marriage), that it's time for Republicans to move past this issue. KUDOS to the President! Not only did he attend the wedding he witnessed it too!!! [SLAP] to the GOP!

...and yet many of you forgive Ken Mehlman?

by Anonymousreply 7809/26/2013

I'm sorry, but that's an awesome picture. I love seeing gay people get treated with dignity and respect. The W administration was not kind to gay people, it was the most homophobic time in the US, but this picture is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 7909/26/2013

I hear Kennebunkport is a favorite retirement destination for Argentinian military commanders who murdered and disappeared thousands in the seventies, just as former Mexican presidents seem to prefer Connecticut (and the Somozas used to operate a steakhouse in Kendall, Fl).

by Anonymousreply 8009/26/2013

"They aren't part of the cause."

Where did I say they were "part of the cause," r73? I said that this one photo op involving them is good FOR the cause. And it is.

by Anonymousreply 8109/26/2013

Uh, R72, it is sitting in the mind of every American as to how the world changed and why.He made us an enemy. The worst kind of enemy, foreign or native, they gladly die for their cause. You can't ever win over this factor yet these are the people he chose as our enemy. We don't have a fighting chance now.Everyone knows you never piss off unstable people to this point. He did it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 8209/26/2013

Those Pierces have been drunks since way back. Almost makes you believe she's not really Aleister Crowley's illegitimate offspring.

by Anonymousreply 8609/26/2013

[quote]Fact is, he has nothing to gain from endorsing this marriage, so I don't see why anyone would think this is other than a goodwill gesture that should be applauded.

Try pissing off his kids.

by Anonymousreply 8709/26/2013

Hmm... r87 may be onto something. Babs has made it crystal clear that she does not want Jeb to run, and this pretty much sinks him with the tea baggers...

by Anonymousreply 8809/26/2013

[quote]George H.W. Bush is a decent man. He was shot down over the Pacific during World War 2. Don't visit the sins of the son upon the father.

[quote]All the Bush haters can go fuck themselves. What a bunch of idiotic douche bags.

You stupid, fucking, ignorant cunts. He was in the CIA and you also know NOTHING about the Carlyle Group, but please, keep thinking you're just looking at some sweet, old "pop-pop" in adorable socks.

Some Americans are so embarrassingly stupid they should be sterilized for fear they'll pass on their low IQs.

by Anonymousreply 8909/26/2013

Well, he gets a few more bonus points in my book.

by Anonymousreply 9009/26/2013

George H.W. Bush is a decent man. I'm glad Clinton beat him '92 but, he certainly was way better than most Republicans today.

by Anonymousreply 9209/26/2013

[quote]Please enlighten us. Do you have certain hours that you remove your tinfoil helmet to talk?

Like I give a damn that you think what I'm saying is of the "9-11 truther" or "reptilian" variety. You're an ignorant twit who probably sat there and believed all of the bullshit you were told when Powell was at the UN.

It isn't my job to educate a buffoon who is too stupid to know this doesn't fall under "tinfoil."

by Anonymousreply 9309/26/2013

Oh, I see... I'm a conspiracy theorist because you are unfamiliar with the Carlyle Group?

Sweetheart, at some point, you really shouldn't be so proud of being this uneducated and chalking everything up to others being "nuts." I realize it's just easier to convince yourself what I'm saying is on par with thinking the moon-landing is fake, but it really isn't cute to be so dumb.

Grow up, honey.

by Anonymousreply 9509/26/2013

[quote] An elderly Aunt of George's lived in the nursing home

Was that run by a religious organization? I remember one of our nursing instructors mentioning him visiting a nursing home in the city and I remember being surprised because it was either Catholic or Jewish. Was it Cardinal Cooke on 5th Avenue?

by Anonymousreply 9609/26/2013

R91? George HW Bush was the director of the CIA in the 1970s.

And he's been on the board of the Carlyle Group, which is pretty much made up of every corporation that benefits from wars. Defense contractors, telecommunications, aerospace. It's a "private equity group" which is managed by ex-CIA chiefs, former Republican secretaries of state, former Republic presidents, former Tory prime Ministers.

by Anonymousreply 9709/26/2013

The JFK conspiracy wackos think GeorgeHW shot JFK...

I don't have anything against HW, he's an old school, old money Republican with all their faults, but also some qualities. His politics didn't vaguely resemble the neocons or teabaggers.

The fact they attended this wedding shows they are flipping the bird to the neocons and the teabaggers. Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 9909/28/2013

Bush Sr. also lived next door to a brothel with Babs when they first relocated to Texas. They thought it was kinda cool.

by Anonymousreply 10009/28/2013

[quote]Bush Sr. also lived next door to a brothel with Babs when they first relocated to Texas. They thought it was kinda cool.

You'd need a brothel next door married to that one.

by Anonymousreply 10109/28/2013

[quote]Bush 43 had a large gay staff in the White House and would often talk to them about their lives and weekends.

Yes, I'm sure they were present and helping to draft the speech for that constitutional ban on gay marriage.

I'm a straight chick and I can't believe how easy you are to please.

by Anonymousreply 10209/28/2013

He probably isn't that with it anymore and didn't know where he was.

by Anonymousreply 10310/08/2013

Conservatives don't hate gays, it's the blacks they can't stand.

by Anonymousreply 10410/08/2013

And he's in a wheelchair so he doesn't have much choice about where he goes.

by Anonymousreply 10510/08/2013

He didn't go to Maggie's state funeral but he goes to a gay wedding.

by Anonymousreply 10610/08/2013

Oh, Barb!

by Anonymousreply 10704/26/2014

Barb might be incredibly wealthy, but she knows the value of a dollar. She routinely trawls up and down the East Coast looking for any event with free booze.

by Anonymousreply 10804/26/2014

R70 has it down. And it's really no different among wealthy Dems.

As for HW, remember that when he was running against cowboy Reagan in the 1980 primary, he called his policies "voodoo economics." Then, of course he became part of the ticket, and the rest is history. But the point being his brand of Republicanism - and you can endorse it or not, whatever - is pretty far removed from that of today. I doubt he's more conservative than Obama, tbh.

Nor was Nixon, for that matter - although I cannot imagine him even having a gay friend, let alone attending a gay wedding. He was a fucking bigot if there ever was one. But then again, at least he kept it to himself - unlike the teabaggers of today.

by Anonymousreply 10904/26/2014

Please. He was probably shocked that the groom didn't cut his hair for the big day.

by Anonymousreply 11004/26/2014
Need more help? Click Here.