Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Julian Sands. From the most romantic of leading man to maniac on Dexter

I thought he was so beautiful and special in A Room with a View. He started in movies at about the same time as Hugh Grant, Helena Bonhman Carter and Daniel Day Lewis. But he made a string of bad movies. Not as talented or just unlucky ?

by Anonymousreply 5309/27/2013

More importantly-IS HE GAY???

by Anonymousreply 109/25/2013

Married twice. Three kids

by Anonymousreply 209/25/2013

We at DL know it means NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 309/25/2013

I thought he would have a much bigger career too.

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2013

He had youthful beauty. Really when you examined his face he had sharp features and male pattern baldness even at his (widows) peak.

by Anonymousreply 509/25/2013

He should have played Lestat in Interview with a Vampire. Instead they gave it to that no talent asshole.

by Anonymousreply 609/25/2013

Yeah, he should have, R6. That would have been good.

by Anonymousreply 709/25/2013

I think I heard that JS was Annie Rice`s preferred pick.

by Anonymousreply 809/25/2013

Boxing Helena - oy vey what a sicko movie.

He has continuously worked, most years having more than one project being released, so maybe he wasn't discriminating about what work he took.

by Anonymousreply 909/25/2013

He showed penis in either Warlock or Warlock 2, I can't remember, it's been over 10 years since I saw them.

by Anonymousreply 1009/25/2013

And he showed a beautiful plump butt in Room with a View

by Anonymousreply 1109/25/2013

I have met him. He is a bit of a jerk, about 5'3" tall, but is an expert on the poetry of Harold Pinter, which kind of redeems him.

What ever you do, DO NOT see his version of Phantom of the Opera.

by Anonymousreply 1209/25/2013

Not hugely talented. Was sexy in his youth but not conventionally handsome, and he made terrible choices in roles early in his career that doomed him to horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 1309/25/2013

R12,

IMDB says 5'11 :)

Maybe in pumps.

by Anonymousreply 1409/25/2013

He was beautiful in A Room with a View. A dream cast Maggie Smith, Denholm Elliot, HBC, DDL, Rupert Graves and Judi Dench. I love this movie and many of the male stars were so handsome.

by Anonymousreply 1509/25/2013

Speaking of Room With A View, Judi Dench filmed a mad scene that wasn't included in the film. Did that scene ever show up in extras or anywhere else?

by Anonymousreply 1609/25/2013

Agree with R13. He was handsome but rather dull most of the time, as if he could barely be bothered to act. He's a bit like Rupert Everett in that regard, but without Everett's bitchy humor.

I watched ROOM WITH A VEW again a couple of years ago and it's really not that good. Helena Bohnam Carter completely fails to engage the audience (she IS the lead for heaven's sake) and Sands is pretty and vacant. The biggest surprise is how bad Daniel Day Lewis is playing an upper class twit. It's a good think he never tried a career at comedy.

The rest of the cast is what makes the film and the Italian scenery.

Merchant/Ivory did far better with MAURICE, HOWARD'S END, and REMAINS OF THE DAY.

by Anonymousreply 1709/25/2013

He "dated" Jodie Foster, R1.

by Anonymousreply 1809/25/2013

Yes, R6, after Boxing Helena studios would have been lining up to greenlight that.

by Anonymousreply 1909/25/2013

R14, I am slightly over 5'11" if I stand up straight, and he is considerably shorter than I am. I exaggerate with 5'3" but probably around 5'8". He does seem to be the sort that would lie about his age. His "jerkyness" seemed to come from his insecurities. Of course ALL actors are basically masses of insecurities.

by Anonymousreply 2009/25/2013

Sorry, lie about his height.

by Anonymousreply 2109/25/2013

R20, he may have thought you were hitting on him.

by Anonymousreply 2209/25/2013

R22, I never said that his jerk-like behavior was directed at me. In the context of our meeting he would not have thought I was hitting on him, nor was I hitting on him.

by Anonymousreply 2309/25/2013

He used to be lovely. I haven't seen him in anything in years. There was another blond Brit actor, slightly shorter than Sands and with features less sharp, who looked somewhat like him and had smallish roles in films in the 80s and early 90s. They even appeared in a film together in minor roles. I wish I knew his name. They looked like brothers and made a cute pair.

by Anonymousreply 2409/25/2013

How DARE he not be young and pretty anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2509/25/2013

I'd still fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 2609/25/2013

He did some TV work years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2709/25/2013

He played Jor-El on Smallville. Here he demonstrates Kryptonian sex practices.

by Anonymousreply 2809/25/2013

He's the British Judd Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 2909/25/2013

Second marriage to an heiress (Guinness wealth), which might just have eased his hunger for roles.

by Anonymousreply 3009/26/2013

I concur, R26. I remember playing and replaying his nekkid romp in RWAV. Ahhh----delicious!

by Anonymousreply 3109/26/2013

[quote]Helena Bohnam Carter completely fails to engage the audience

Has she ever?

by Anonymousreply 3209/26/2013

He would have brought such sexual magnetism to Interview With The Vampire.

It must have gutted him to have been passed over for Tammy's peroxided ham turn.

by Anonymousreply 3309/26/2013

I love Room with a view, but R17 is right on.

The atmosphere is relaxed and pleasant, and I like the movie for that. The supporting cast is excellent (apart from Daniel Day Lewis, who is excruciating in that movie).

Based on that movie, I never thought Helena Bonham Carter would amount to much. Then she does have a very strong family background - admittedly, in politics, but isn't that acting?, must have helped.

by Anonymousreply 3409/26/2013

HBC's career has always interested me, r.34. I believe she does have talent but it's amazing what an easy ride she's had. Since Room With a View, she's never been without work.

She's almost 50 now and has had roles passed to her on a silver platter.

But yes, she's independently wealthy and has an aristocratic family background; that would not have been a hindrance.

Others with equal talent never make the grade.

I guess some people are just born lucky.

The biggest mystery about HBC is what the fuck does she see in Tim Burton !!! ??? What's the story behind that???

by Anonymousreply 3509/26/2013

Julian Sands wasn't on Dexter according to IMDB.

by Anonymousreply 3609/26/2013

Sorry, I didn't catch that he did a bit part. What did he do to fuck up his career so badly?

by Anonymousreply 3709/26/2013

"Based on that movie, I never thought Helena Bonham Carter would amount to much."

Neither did I, and also saw her in LADY JANE which was made around the same time. She was underwhelming, and so was the film.

But somehow she improved. HOWARD'S END is the first time I felt she gave a real performance of merit and she's done rather well since then.

However, she's never become a real leading actress - I think she got very full of herself after WINGS OF THE DOVE and burned some bridges, so she has been doing mostly supporting roles from what I can tell.

She should have been banned from going near SWEENEY TODD, but with hubby as the director....

by Anonymousreply 3809/26/2013

According to Jodie's Foster's brother Buddy's Jodie biography, Sands and Jodie were an actual couple for a while, and Sands wanted to marry her and have children.

by Anonymousreply 3909/26/2013

I would hardly trust Buddy Foster on anything Jodie. Just skimming through his book I could spot several glaring errors and on some occasions where he got it right, as a Jodie fan, I could even tell you which publication he actually got his info from. It was kind of sad, and obvious they had been estranged for most of their lives.

As for Sands and Foster dating, it did look that way when she won the Oscar for The Accused. He was a date for the evening and they locked lips when her name was called out. Whether he was her beard (they had just filmed Siesta together) or an actual romance I have no idea. James Ivory did mention that he wanted Sands for the lead in "Maurice" (which would have been much hotter than the bland replacement they came up with) but that Sands turned him down because he was busy fucking the girlfriend he had left his wife for. Ivory added that it was ironic that Sand's girlfriend was young and blond just like his ex-wife. I did wonder if he meant Jodie. However she never mentioned Sands in interviews, even during the brief period in the 90s when she danced around the closet by mentioning "making out with Scott Baio" and "losing her heart to some guy in France".

by Anonymousreply 4009/26/2013

I liked that bit in ARACHNOPHOBIA when the daddy spider gets him. Didn't he show his butt too in Ken Russell's GOTHIC - I couldn't be bothered seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 4109/26/2013

HBC can be very good. And she's adventurous and not horribly vain. I like her. Did you see her Taylor and Burton film?

by Anonymousreply 4209/26/2013

I did. She actually did suggest Taylor a lot (all that purple and violet colours helped), while Dominic West (?) neither looked nor sounded like Burton.

by Anonymousreply 4309/26/2013

I worked with him and found him quite nice and polite. A bit 'eccentric' As for Jodie Foster, didn't he quickly marry some countess after 'dating' Jodie, if they did really date. I assumed she brought him because people were gossiping about her and McGilis and the fight that ensued with Jodie's then girlfriend on set

by Anonymousreply 4409/26/2013

What are you people talking about? Jodie is a major dick fiend!

by Anonymousreply 4509/26/2013

R40 They made Siesta in 1987. Jodie Foster won her Oscar in 1989.

by Anonymousreply 4609/26/2013

That nose is what did him in. I'm not even joking.

by Anonymousreply 4709/26/2013

Maybe they had the affair in 87 while we was still married prompting him to leave his wife

by Anonymousreply 4809/27/2013

r44, that would make complete sense. The Jodie/Kelly rumors were so big they burst through the closet and all of a sudden, Private Jodie is wearing her first boyfriend on her sleeve? Now that I think of it, it's glaringly obvious.

by Anonymousreply 4909/27/2013

I saw him in person, too, and I thought he was tall. He was not short.

by Anonymousreply 5009/27/2013

here he is with John Malcovich. Malcovich is supposed to be 6 ft.

by Anonymousreply 5109/27/2013

R51, that really makes no sense as he is taller than John Malcovich in that picture and he should be at least an inch shorter. The picture is not a good reference.

by Anonymousreply 5209/27/2013

R40 They also share the same agent

by Anonymousreply 5309/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.