Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's a Good Probiotic

I'm going into my second week on antibiotics and feeling a little "loose." I don't want to get C diff. What's a good probiotic I can order online? If you get yours from Amazon Prime, that would be really good.

Thanks

by Loose Louiereply 5309/27/2013

After douching do we need to take probiotics?

by Loose Louiereply 209/25/2013

I notice there's a huge price difference on amazon between probiotics. It's very confusing. Is just lactobacillus ok, or do i need billions of other bacteria, too?

by Loose Louiereply 309/25/2013

All you need is my hermaphrodite yogurt.

by Loose Louiereply 609/25/2013

After an extended course of Flagyl (nasty stuff) a few years ago, my gastroenterologist told me to start taking Florastor while I finished the Flagyl and for another two weeks after. He said it was not affected by antibiotics and had had some success against c. diff. in studies. It cleared up the issues I had been having within the first day or so, but I finished the course as directed.

I did have to ask for it as it is kept behind the pharmacy counter, and it wasn't the cheapest, but it did the trick. Incidentally, it's been around over 50 years, so for what it's worth, it does have an established track record.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

by Loose Louiereply 809/25/2013

I don't believe there is any real evidence as of now that taking probiotics has a real effect.

Which of course doesn't necessarily mean they don't, but something to think about as you are spending money on them.

by Loose Louiereply 1109/25/2013

You can buy shredded cabbage at Trader Joes.

And supermarkets sell shredded cabbage with shredded carrots for making cole slaw.

by Loose Louiereply 1209/25/2013

[quote]I don't believe there is any real evidence as of now that taking probiotics has a real effect.

I am real evidence. First, I have a nasty toenail fungal infection. When I take pro-biotics the nail is not nearly as thick and discoloured. Also, it helps with the jock itch that I constantly suffer with being a competitive runner. Jock itch is also a fungus. Taking pro-biotics cuts down on the amount of fungus on my skin and under my nails.

by Loose Louiereply 2309/25/2013

Is it true vinegar kills any probiotic properties of pickled things?

by Loose Louiereply 3009/26/2013

The New York Times has an interesting article on gut health a few months ago.

One interesting finding: Of the 15 probiotic products tested, only 1 contained what was on the label. ONE!

They concluded that people were wasting their money on these capsules and encouraged people to eat sauerkraut (the fresh kind) or other fermented vegetables.

The article also pointed out that even if the pills contain good bacteria, the intestines are hostile to new bacteria and it is hard for it to establish a foothold in the gut.

So many of you are wasting your money.

by Loose Louiereply 3109/26/2013

If you go with kraut/kim chi all of the time, prepare to have it seep through your pores. You'll stink to high hell.

by Loose Louiereply 3609/26/2013

Gross, R36. I know kimchi stunk, but I didn't think homemade kraut did. I was going to make some, but you're giving me second thoughts.

by Loose Louiereply 3709/26/2013

It's inevitable because of the vinegar. Any kind of pickled foods -if eaten on a regular basis- will have that effect on the body.

Plus, it's probably not good for your teeth to eat those things all of the time.

by Loose Louiereply 3809/26/2013

Yes, it is:

by Loose Louiereply 4009/26/2013

Odd. I linked to the article, so I don't know why this thread showed up.

by Loose Louiereply 4109/26/2013

Getting creampied.

by Loose Louiereply 4309/26/2013

You'll probably be fine without anything, but the organism that has produced the best results in the scientific literature is Saccharomyces boulardii. If you can find a commercial probiotic that contains this organism- you've got the best product. Most of what's on the market as a probiotic do little

by Loose Louiereply 4409/26/2013

R44 is correct. I mentioned the same up thread as Florastor (there may be generics available -- you have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter anyway, so just ask them). It is the probiotic that contains Saccharomyces boulardii lyo which saw usefulness against c. diff. in research. Somehow though, this veered off into a thread about preparing & eating rotten food. That's not what the OP was asking for.

by Loose Louiereply 5009/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.