Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A real life Portlandia Character!

In Portland! And the comments are precious too.

by Anonymousreply 2409/26/2013

I love the comment from Amy Lowell - she nails it. I was wondering as I read the article why someone like this would have moved next door to a noisy, smoky tavern in the first place.

As someone who is infatuated with the idea of moving to Portland, just how common are these types really?

by Anonymousreply 109/25/2013

Another tiresome helicopter frau.

[quote]igilant mom Julie Machen fights to keep dust and other allergy- or asthma-provoking materials out of her historic Sellwood house.

Tells you everything right there.

by Anonymousreply 209/25/2013

[quote](J)ust how common are these types really?

Unfortunately, they're very common in the Portland area. It's such a beautiful area but I just can't stand the self-absorbed people.

by Anonymousreply 309/25/2013

r1, those types are everywhere.

I lived in that neighborhood for a year. It was a nice area, but it was a little too far from freeway access. The Black Cat was a fun place to go.

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2013

Crazy-ass bitch.

The comments are entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 509/25/2013

Since the show aired, these real-life versions HAVE to have a sense how ridiculous they are...right?

by Anonymousreply 609/25/2013

Julie is a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 709/25/2013

Portlandia does a fantastic job of skewering a particular kind of self-involved, self-important, non-ironically ironic and self-dramatizing type. I lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan for many years. It's too Midwestern to reach the levels of ridiculousness that Portland does, but the vibe seems very similar.

Don't get me wrong, I loved and still love Ann Arbor, but certain cities seem to attract denizens seen like those in Portlandia.

by Anonymousreply 809/25/2013

The really weird ones are the hardcore Christians who have the hipster Portlandia vibe. They'll rail against vaccines, any recordings that aren't vinyl, factory farming and gays and abortion.

by Anonymousreply 909/25/2013

One of the (many) stereotypes of lesbians on this board--communally-oriented in theory but actually selfish, obsessed with rules and regulations, unquestioningly accepting of anything so long as it is labeled "green"/ "fair trade"/ organic--is more applicable to people like the one featured in this article. They are a type that transcends sexual orientation.

These people make liberal medium-sized cities feel like small towns with nosy neighbors peeking over your fence.

by Anonymousreply 1009/25/2013

Someone told me I remind them of a character on this show. Should I be offended?

by Anonymousreply 1109/25/2013

OP that was just too much reading, couldn't they have made a video about it!

by Anonymousreply 1209/25/2013

R11, yes you should be unless the character was Aimee Mann or Sarah McLachlan.

by Anonymousreply 1309/25/2013

Children named "Noah" and "Neve" - all we need to know...

by Anonymousreply 1409/25/2013

So she bought a place next to a bar and expect what exactly? Quiet and decorum.

I want to throttle this bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1509/25/2013

"She thinks the downed trees can be donated to the nearby Oaks Bottom Forge to be made into knife handles..."

Even when knives aren't being used by the penised to literally kill womyn, they are phallic symbols that are dangerously triggering. The wood should be used only for sacred crone bonfires and the (nonprofit) building of menstrual huts.

by Anonymousreply 1609/25/2013

[quote]The really weird ones are the hardcore Christians who have the hipster Portlandia vibe. They'll rail against vaccines, any recordings that aren't vinyl, factory farming and gays and abortion.

What is wrong with railing against factory farming? Do you know much about it?

by Anonymousreply 1709/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 1809/25/2013

Was she photographed cradling a mug? (*I am too scared to look)

by Anonymousreply 1909/25/2013

I suspect this broad is the type who would just "happen to see" what was in her neighbors' trash bins and leave them helpful notes.

"I happened to see you threw out an old bottle of dish soap -- did you know you can recycle that? Also, food scraps are easy to compost (and it's fun, too) -- if you want any information on that, I'd be glad to help and I've even got an extra compost bin that fits right under your sink!"

by Anonymousreply 2009/25/2013

I live in the south and it's shocking how many bible beaters have taken on the guise of hipsters. You think that they're so cool and when you look at their facebook it's all fetuses and Santorum.

by Anonymousreply 2109/25/2013

Hipsterism really is superficial trickery. Nowadays, a girl could look like Nico from Velvet Underground and be a white supremacist. It's a cover, not an indication of participation in "outsider/misfit" culture

by Anonymousreply 2209/25/2013

[quote]She says when she had the exterior of her house painted three years ago, she had paint scrapings captured in looped plastic.

by Anonymousreply 2309/25/2013

R20 is quite perceptive.

Julie does remind me of the sorority sister penchant for writing cunty notes condemning the taking of other people's "clearly labeled!!!" yoghurt cups, only in this case a sad-sack vegan eco-warrior who has umpteen dozen allergies and looks like she's just taken a break from crying to cry some more.

She so wants to be helpful, our Julie, why won't people let her?

by Anonymousreply 2409/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!