Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

License Plates

Anyone know why some states include a county and others have only a rear plate?

by Anonymousreply 2609/27/2013

For some reason it is mostly states in the South with the rear only plate, save for Pennsyltucky.

by Anonymousreply 109/25/2013

R1 is correct. Only rear plates in PA

by Anonymousreply 209/25/2013

Car tags here are ad valorem -- if you buy a new, expensive car, your tag can cost as much as that old beater you bought to take to college.

Your tag cost goes down as your car depreciates for ten years, then stays the same thereafter (but only the ad valorem part of the total cost).

by Anonymousreply 309/25/2013

Kansas is rear plates only.

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2013

Indiana is rear plate only and lists the county.

by Anonymousreply 509/25/2013

Many states switched to single plates to save money.

by Anonymousreply 609/25/2013

I find the whole business of of selling "commemorative" license plates fascinating. You know the kind, license plates that have as the background some artwork calling attention to a particular cause or interest. When I visit my dad in Florida, they seem to have TONS of plates like that. Some are what you would expect, plates to promote cleaning the oceans, preserving the Florida wildlife, promoting the space program. But they have one commemorating John Lennon. I am uncertain what if any connection John Lennon has with Florida.

by Anonymousreply 709/25/2013

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut have front and back.

by Anonymousreply 809/25/2013

Check out these:

by Anonymousreply 909/25/2013

County names alert cops. They know if you're a local.

by Anonymousreply 1009/25/2013

In Michigan the plate letters and numbers used to be a code that said where you lived.

by Anonymousreply 1109/25/2013

r11, New Jersey used to have a county code system. "A" meant Atlantic County. If more than one had the same letter (Bergen, Burlington) the county with most population got the letter.

by Anonymousreply 1209/25/2013

In January New York began issuing plates with AAA, no relation to geography. It's September and they're up to the G's.

by Anonymousreply 1309/25/2013

In some countries a plate is issued to the first owner and is never changed.

by Anonymousreply 1409/25/2013

The code was useful for the country assessor when they collected the tax. People would find a low tax county and tax their cars there (especially businesses with fleets of vehicles). The plate code was a way to keep everyone honest.

by Anonymousreply 1509/25/2013

I grew up in Nebraska, and the license plates had a county number based on the population of the county-- 1 was Omaha, 2 was Lincoln, and so on.

It was actually sort of handy, because if you saw someone from 93 county you knew it was someone from waaaay out in the sticks, and you better give them plenty of space when you were on a freeway or at a busy intersection, because those boys were clueless. Some of them came from counties where there probably wasn't a single traffic light.

by Anonymousreply 1609/25/2013

[quote]For some reason it is mostly states in the South with the rear only plate, save for Pennsyltucky.

The states that only require a rear license plate do it to save costs.

by Anonymousreply 1709/25/2013

I know Georgia puts the county on their plates to help the hillbillies find their way home. Every little bit helps down there.

by Anonymousreply 1809/25/2013

Plate on the front helps if you're waiting for a family member and there are five identical cars comin' up the road.

by Anonymousreply 1909/25/2013

That's true r18 but the state has made a big push to get "In God We Trust" on the license plates instead of the county name. I believe it is an option to have that for $1 or something. The god-botherers are invariably the worst drivers on the road, so I give a wide berth to cars with that on the plate. Want to express your religious faith? Fine, buy a bumper sticker but I believe the state has no business promoting religion. But then, this is the South.

by Anonymousreply 2009/25/2013

What kills me are the States who are so proud of the fact that they have a website they feel the need to put the address on their license plates like they're really accomplishing something.

by Anonymousreply 2109/25/2013

Which states put their website on their plates, r21?

I haven't seen that.

by Anonymousreply 2209/25/2013

Holy crap, R9.

I find it extremely bizarre that one state has so many possible "vanity" license plate designs available!

I hope that for some of the plates (eg, ex-POW), a person has to actually prove they qualify!

by Anonymousreply 2309/25/2013

[quote]Anyone know why some states include a county and others have only a rear plate?

Florida does both

[quote]What kills me are the States who are so proud of the fact that they have a website they feel the need to put the address on their license plates like they're really accomplishing something.

[quote]Which states put their website on their plates, [R21]?

Florida again

by Anonymousreply 2409/25/2013

Oh, not just Florida, although that's no surprise. Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, S. Carolina, Nebraska, and Minnesota do it too.

I'm waiting for the next logical step--the web address at the top of the plate, and "Don't Text and Drive!" at the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 2509/25/2013

Sign on Lexington Avenue in New York ... "Fuck Your Phone Keep Your Head Up"

by Anonymousreply 2609/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.